ZMF Verite Closed-New Closed Back ZMF Flagship.
Nov 24, 2020 at 2:16 PM Post #4,006 of 12,513
I received my camphor burl Verite Closed almost 3 weeks ago and it's been a blast trying them out. First off, the headphones look incredible. I love the different patterns and textures of the camphor burl. The chatoyance of this wood really elevates the overall aesthetic in a way that's hard to capture in photos.

My main listening setup with the VC has been with the Auteur lambskin pads through a ZMF Pendant (low impedance output) and Bifrost 2. I tried the VC with the Universe lambskin and Auteur hybrid pads, but I found the Autuer lambskin pads to be the most enjoyable of the bunch. In this configuration, these headphones sound remarkably spacious with a good amount of slam. The detail retrieval capability of the VC is outstanding without relying on a frequency response that emphasizes it. The VC's tonality is very weighty and I think this plays really well with the decay. There is a recession in the mids that takes some of the bite from electric guitar distortion, but I have my blackwood Aeolus with Universe suede perforated pads when I am in the mood for tonality that brings that to the forefront.

Overall, I am extremely happy with my camphor burl VC, and I recommend people give these a good amount of listening hours before jumping to any conclusions.
Lzl3rhg.jpg
WrZqjwe.jpg
cfVxkzW.jpg

Nov 25, 2020 at 3:29 PM Post #4,008 of 12,513
I snatched up the red-stained Manchurian Ash Verite Closed this morning from the ZMF November Sale. I still can't believe I was able to get a one-of-a-kind VC when I had every plan to buy the cheapest option available (Monkeypod B-Stock). Here's a snapshot of the one I've got coming to me:
1606336123939.png

Nov 25, 2020 at 3:33 PM Post #4,009 of 12,513
I snatched up the red-stained Manchurian Ash Verite Closed this morning from the ZMF November Sale. I still can't believe I was able to get a one-of-a-kind VC when I had every plan to buy the cheapest option available (Monkeypod B-Stock). Here's a snapshot of the one I've got coming to me:
Congratulations! Those were my favorites posted today. So unique, as the others I've seen have been light colored or stained blue or purple.

Nov 25, 2020 at 3:36 PM Post #4,011 of 12,513
If I'm not mistaken, @Darthpool's purple-stained VC is also Manchurian Ash. I really like the red stain, and I'll be sure to post some more pictures when I get them.

Nov 25, 2020 at 3:36 PM Post #4,012 of 12,513
I've been checking in all day and haven't seen any. Were they under the ZMF November link? Maybe I'm looking in the wrong place.

Nov 25, 2020 at 3:42 PM Post #4,013 of 12,513
Nov 25, 2020 at 3:54 PM Post #4,014 of 12,513
I received my camphor burls (with a medium-dark stain) and the upgraded copper cable three weeks ago, and just wanted to post my thoughts, as I believe my experience is a bit unique. And of course your experience will almost surely be different than mine.

I'm using my PC to play CD-ripped and purchased\downloaded flac files with J River Media Center. I listen to YouTube Music occasionally as well. I simultaneously run two instances of ASIO4ALL, and that and the Media Center have a dozen or so particular settings that heighten the music playback experience significantly.

That output goes to a Chord Hugo 2 DAC, and then through an Eddie Current Balancing Act fitted with a Tung-sol 6SN7 GTB input tube and Emmission Labs 45 output tubes.
I have cross-feed enabled on the Hugo.

Rather than repeat all the superlatives mentioned in other reviews, I'll just go right to the controversial parts.
The first is that when worn as directed, I thought the sound was great, but the overall experience was a bit boring, unfortunately. However, I found when I listened to them reversed -- the left cup on the right ear and right cup on the left ear and the cable inputs swapped, the overall experience was incredibly exciting. I can't ever sit still it's that good. Regardless of the music type. (Keep in mind a lot of that comes from the painstakingly tailored player, DAC, and amp as well.)

To me, the sound difference between normal and reversed is that in the normal position the individual instruments and singers are more focused and more in my head. Whereas in the swapped position, there's a bit less focus and the sound stage is wider and moves out of my head, which is good, but the musical enjoyment is so much better for me, I know I'll never go back. Of course I rotated the pads a little bit so the pad fit is still correct wearing them backwards.

Previous to these, I'd been using a Campfire Atlas with modified tips that make as big a difference in sound as the different pads make on the VC's, and none of the other tips I tried even came close to these. So keep that in mind with my comparison.

Comparing the Atlas to the VC's, the Atlas has a much more immediate sound and the sound stage is smaller and is mostly in my head, but the sound of the individual instruments and singer is bigger than the VC's. Not only significantly taller, but bigger. Hopefully that makes sense. It's hard to describe the difference between the sound stage and the size of each instrument as a point source in 3D space. Even if it's in your head.

Also, as to the tone, while the ZMF's are great, the Atlas sounds more real and natural to me -- from the deepest bass to the air at the top. All except for the slight sibiliance with the Atlas. Listening to a variety of well-recorded concerts of different musical types, all sound much more like I'm actually there with the Atlas.

That being said, I still love listening to the music with the VC's far more, as the music is just more fun and emotional with the VC's. And the Atlas is a fun headphone.

The main improvement I wish for with the VC's is more of a sense of air at the top end. I keep hoping it will just open up some more. Hopefully it just needs even more burn-in beyond the 200+ hours already on it.

I'm very glad I found this thread.

And keep in mind this is my experience and opinions, which are probably different than yours.

Nov 25, 2020 at 3:57 PM Post #4,015 of 12,513
Before I get sucked back into the sale, bought the VC last year.
What would be a good complementary ZMF headphone?
Is the open Verite that different in sound?
thanks

Nov 25, 2020 at 4:07 PM Post #4,016 of 12,513
I received my camphor burls (with a medium-dark stain) and the upgraded copper cable three weeks ago, and just wanted to post my thoughts, as I believe my experience is a bit unique. And of course your experience will almost surely be different than mine.

I'm using my PC to play CD-ripped and purchased\downloaded flac files with J River Media Center. I listen to YouTube Music occasionally as well. I simultaneously run two instances of ASIO4ALL, and that and the Media Center have a dozen or so particular settings that heighten the music playback experience significantly.

That output goes to a Chord Hugo 2 DAC, and then through an Eddie Current Balancing Act fitted with a Tung-sol 6SN7 GTB input tube and Emmission Labs 45 output tubes.
I have cross-feed enabled on the Hugo.

Rather than repeat all the superlatives mentioned in other reviews, I'll just go right to the controversial parts.
The first is that when worn as directed, I thought the sound was great, but the overall experience was a bit boring, unfortunately. However, I found when I listened to them reversed -- the left cup on the right ear and right cup on the left ear and the cable inputs swapped, the overall experience was incredibly exciting. I can't ever sit still it's that good. Regardless of the music type. (Keep in mind a lot of that comes from the painstakingly tailored player, DAC, and amp as well.)

To me, the sound difference between normal and reversed is that in the normal position the individual instruments and singers are more focused and more in my head. Whereas in the swapped position, there's a bit less focus and the sound stage is wider and moves out of my head, which is good, but the musical enjoyment is so much better for me, I know I'll never go back. Of course I rotated the pads a little bit so the pad fit is still correct wearing them backwards.

Previous to these, I'd been using a Campfire Atlas with modified tips that make as big a difference in sound as the different pads make on the VC's, and none of the other tips I tried even came close to these. So keep that in mind with my comparison.

Comparing the Atlas to the VC's, the Atlas has a much more immediate sound and the sound stage is smaller and is mostly in my head, but the sound of the individual instruments and singer is bigger than the VC's. Not only significantly taller, but bigger. Hopefully that makes sense. It's hard to describe the difference between the sound stage and the size of each instrument as a point source in 3D space. Even if it's in your head.

Also, as to the tone, while the ZMF's are great, the Atlas sounds more real and natural to me -- from the deepest bass to the air at the top. All except for the slight sibiliance with the Atlas. Listening to a variety of well-recorded concerts of different musical types, all sound much more like I'm actually there with the Atlas.

That being said, I still love listening to the music with the VC's far more, as the music is just more fun and emotional with the VC's. And the Atlas is a fun headphone.

The main improvement I wish for with the VC's is more of a sense of air at the top end. I keep hoping it will just open up some more. Hopefully it just needs even more burn-in beyond the 200+ hours already on it.

I'm very glad I found this thread.

And keep in mind this is my experience and opinions, which are probably different than yours.

Some interesting thoughts here! Never heard of anyone trying the VC reversed as you have, maybe I'll play around with it just to hear what changes.

What sort of settings do you use that "heighten the music playback experience significantly"? And have you tried the VC without them?

Nov 25, 2020 at 5:06 PM Post #4,017 of 12,513
Before I get sucked back into the sale, bought the VC last year.
What would be a good complementary ZMF headphone?
Is the open Verite that different in sound?
thanks
Having them all except the Eikon, I'd suggest the Auteur, which is more different from the VC than the VO is. If I could only keep 2 it would be those 2.

Nov 25, 2020 at 6:43 PM Post #4,019 of 12,513
Very interested in the Verite Closed. Heard the VO and was impressed by how natural and lively they sounded. Demoing them next to the Focal Clears, the Meze Empyreans, and the HD800s I kept coming back to them. Thinking the Closed might be better for use at home. One day...(or if ZMF November offers a deal I can't refuse!)

Had to quote myself on that one because the B-Stock Monkeypod came up on the November sale, and I took the plunge! Can't wait to get them. Now, just on to figuring out what pads to go for (initially decided on Universe and Auteur, both in lambskin).

Nov 25, 2020 at 7:12 PM Post #4,020 of 12,513
I also opted for Universe and Auteur in Lambskin. I think those are the two most recommended pad choices. I was tempted by the hybrid options but decided to play it safe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back