ZMF Verite Closed-New Closed Back ZMF Flagship.
Jun 3, 2020 at 10:29 PM Post #2,851 of 12,524
My Verite closed leopardwood (dark) came in today and I'm really enjoying them so far. I'm surprised how much they've opened up throughout the day at first the bass was pretty light but I've left them running all day and I'm noticing a nice difference in the last hour or so they are sounding a lot fuller. I started with the Verite pads and thought it was lacking bass a bit and went to the Auteur and really liked them and I tried the Universe but I liked the sound of the Auteur (all of these were lambskin). Really nice balance and the bass seems rich the dynamics are still punchy and the soundstage is really nice, I agree I'm kind of shocked how big these sound for closed back I don't feel like I'm missing anything. I probably have to go through the pads again once the sound settles but right now I'm really enjoying them and they do compliment the Verite open nicely I think I'll keep the verite pads on those just because I love that sound and then balance it with either the Auteur or Universe on the closed (at least that's what sounds best to me so far) but we'll see how it goes.

No proof without pics!!! :relaxed:

(I think your pic didn't post...)

Jun 3, 2020 at 10:30 PM Post #2,852 of 12,524
My Verite closed leopardwood (dark) came in today and I'm really enjoying them so far. I'm surprised how much they've opened up throughout the day at first the bass was pretty light but I've left them running all day and I'm noticing a nice difference in the last hour or so they are sounding a lot fuller. I started with the Verite pads and thought it was lacking bass a bit and went to the Auteur and really liked them and I tried the Universe but I liked the sound of the Auteur (all of these were lambskin). Really nice balance and the bass seems rich the dynamics are still punchy and the soundstage is really nice, I agree I'm kind of shocked how big these sound for closed back I don't feel like I'm missing anything. I probably have to go through the pads again once the sound settles but right now I'm really enjoying them and they do compliment the Verite open nicely I think I'll keep the verite pads on those just because I love that sound and then balance it with either the Auteur or Universe on the closed (at least that's what sounds best to me so far) but we'll see how it goes.

C001807F-8E8E-4C78-A5D9-6FA397C5BBA6.jpeg
What amp are you using?

Jun 3, 2020 at 10:35 PM Post #2,853 of 12,524
Jun 3, 2020 at 10:47 PM Post #2,854 of 12,524
No proof without pics!!! :relaxed:

(I think your pic didn't post...)

Yeah lol I was having trouble I used my camera and I think the file was too large so it kept trying to do it as an attachment so I posted it from my phone instead because you can pick the image size. I think the pic is up now.

What amp are you using?

I picked up the used GOTL from L0rdGwyn (he had made some modifications to it) and I'm really loving it. I had that with the Verite open and it did amazing things for the soundstage but still seems really neutral dynamic and powerful. I have GEC L63 and Bendix 6080 in there now and I really like this combination (honestly everything I've heard through the amp were good in different ways but this is my favorite so far).

1C92DF86-C3EC-468F-81A3-5B45FEE6BB26.jpeg

Still kind of random setup but it's actually been kind of coming together I like having the amp here because it's just where I spend the most time and I get to use my comfortable chair or lay on the couch if it's been a really tough day lol. I was shipped the wrong end table top and I wasn't using a center channel speaker stand so I just used the other table under it at an angle and the DAC fits well and then someone suggested these little fans with rubber feet and they have a temp control so I may just build a little wooden box to go under the headphone stand because they are really similar size and put the thermostat in there. Maybe I can ask Zach if he has any leopardwood scrap. The nice thing is the fans are expandable so I have a third one behind the DAC which keeps that cool.

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2020 at 2:45 AM Post #2,855 of 12,524
Yeah lol I was having trouble I used my camera and I think the file was too large so it kept trying to do it as an attachment so I posted it from my phone instead because you can pick the image size. I think the pic is up now.

I picked up the used GOTL from L0rdGwyn (he had made some modifications to it) and I'm really loving it. I had that with the Verite open and it did amazing things for the soundstage but still seems really neutral dynamic and powerful. I have GEC L63 and Bendix 6080 in there now and I really like this combination (honestly everything I've heard through the amp were good in different ways but this is my favorite so far).

1C92DF86-C3EC-468F-81A3-5B45FEE6BB26.jpeg

Still kind of random setup but it's actually been kind of coming together I like having the amp here because it's just where I spend the most time and I get to use my comfortable chair or lay on the couch if it's been a really tough day lol. I was shipped the wrong end table top and I wasn't using a center channel speaker stand so I just used the other table under it at an angle and the DAC fits well and then someone suggested these little fans with rubber feet and they have a temp control so I may just build a little wooden box to go under the headphone stand because they are really similar size and put the thermostat in there. Maybe I can ask Zach if he has any leopardwood scrap. The nice thing is the fans are expandable so I have a third one behind the DAC which keeps that cool.
Your setup sounds like mine: GOTL, GEC 6J5s, Bendix 6080s and ... VCs! I even used to have an RME ADI2 DAC (not the pro). Very nice all in all.

Jun 4, 2020 at 1:50 PM Post #2,856 of 12,524
Your setup sounds like mine: GOTL, GEC 6J5s, Bendix 6080s and ... VCs! I even used to have an RME ADI2 DAC (not the pro). Very nice all in all.
Thanks I really like it I started with the RME because it seemed like a really good all in one unit (which it has been) and they had a $500 sale when the DAC came out so I figured I could still use it for recording audio if I upgrade. DAC looks awesome and the remote is really nice as well I was kind of bummed I missed out on the black face plate but now I like how it matches the amp. I really like it with the GOTL and I think it's pretty cool that you can roll the pads, roll the tubes and EQ it's just a remarkable amount of customization. L0rdGwyn gave me the tip on the GEC 6J5's and I really love the sound of those. They started out pretty noisy though and I was worried about them but after a while they really settled in. The power tubes were really interesting I really loved the Tung Sol 5998 they seem to do everything well but then the Bendix came along and just seem to fit my preferences perfectly I really like the spaciousness balance and dynamics of the Tung Sol but it seems to me like the Bendix bring that as well but have a bit more of an edge in dynamics that I really enjoy. They are close though I really like both and an interesting one I want to try with the VC is the Cetron 6336a they collapse the soundstage which I didn't like with the VO but they have this huge dynamic and engaging in your faceness that I think will sound really interesting with the VC.

Overall on the VC I've been listening a lot and I don't have any fatigue and also really like the comfort of these. The sound really opened up after about 8 hours or so like I said before the bass seemed pretty tight and honestly missing and in the evening it started sounding amazing. Before buying I was a bit worried that they may sound closed in or to create the spaciousness the imaging would suffer but these seem to pull it all off remarkably which I feel like shouldn't be possible but the combination is really engaging. I still have the Auteur pads and they seem to work really well for me but I still haven't tried the other pads since the bass opened up. I don't anticipate that will change my preferences as I didn't mind the Verite but they just made the VC sound too much like my VO but I will probably go through them again just to see.

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2020 at 8:37 PM Post #2,857 of 12,524
I have no idea what @zach915m ’s intent with the VC’s was but to me these are the purest headphones that I’ve ever owned. They are just 100% honest and purely display upstream everything. I think I’ve found personal perfection with my pads, tubes and source. And it’s so different than when I first got them and tried to find the right changes/combo. What a fun little journey and glad I stayed with it

Jun 7, 2020 at 9:17 PM Post #2,859 of 12,524
The ability to pull a holographic soundstage is unreal. IMO, goes further than the open. Crazy.

I think that's more pad dependent than a VC vs VO issue.

Jun 7, 2020 at 11:01 PM Post #2,860 of 12,524
I have no idea what @zach915m ’s intent with the VC’s was but to me these are the purest headphones that I’ve ever owned. They are just 100% honest and purely display upstream everything. I think I’ve found personal perfection with my pads, tubes and source. And it’s so different than when I first got them and tried to find the right changes/combo. What a fun little journey and glad I stayed with it
Congrats., that's a great feeling I know. Curious what tubes you reference as I don't see tube kit in your signature.

Jun 8, 2020 at 9:35 AM Post #2,861 of 12,524
Congrats., that's a great feeling I know. Curious what tubes you reference as I don't see tube kit in your signature.

I’ve got Amperex 7308 white labels and some gold grid Russian OTK stamp 6N6P power tubes in my Feliks Echo.

Jun 8, 2020 at 5:35 PM Post #2,862 of 12,524
After reading 191 pages and replaying the same youtube reviews over and over again just to convince myself, I think go and buy a pair. I mainly listen to EDM (90% of the time), along with slow piano jazz, foreign pop music, and sometimes classical.

I have a few questions. On the order form, since VC comes with Auteur (installed) and Universe pads, do I still need to need to check off the Universe box? I was surprised that I can check off all of them without seeing any price increase in the cart.

1591651665404.png

I also remember reading in the beginning of the thread (or from some other forum) that it also comes with a 3rd pair? A hybrid one I think, but I'm not sure. Oh and is there gonna be a limited edition wood coming soon? And those pictures with custom wood dye of purple and blue, goddamn they looked amazing! I assume Zach will be too busy to do those custom coloring right?

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2020 at 5:47 PM Post #2,863 of 12,524
After reading 191 pages and replaying the same youtube reviews over and over again just to convince myself, I think go and buy a pair. I mainly listen to EDM (90% of the time), along with slow piano jazz, foreign pop music, and sometimes classical.

I have a few questions. On the order form, since VC comes with Auteur (installed) and Universe pads, do I still need to need to check off the Universe box? I was surprised that I can check off all of them without seeing any price increase in the cart.

I also remember reading in the beginning of the thread (or from some other forum) that it also comes with a 3rd pair? A hybrid one I think, but I'm not sure. Oh and is there gonna be a limited edition wood coming soon? And those pictures with custom wood dye of purple and blue, goddamn they looked amazing! I assume Zach will be too busy to do those custom coloring right?

Wow yeah this is a long thread!!!

1. The V Closed comes with auteur pads no matter what - I want everyone to get the "stock" set of pads for reference on them. But - whatever you choose in that box will be the second set of pads. Personally Iike the Universe - but they all have their merits. And thanks for the note, I will change that to only allow one selection!

2. Two pads come with the headphone. We are working on a LTD edition Camphor Burl run, we are making the first batch right now, and if you want to order it you can order through the Verite Open Camphor Burl page and add a note at checkout that you want the closed version.

Later this year we will be doing a stabilized maple burl run, those will be not built to order, but placed on the site and ordered only when the headphones are complete and pictured so you'll know exactly what you're getting. They will be available at a higher price point due to the cost of stabilized wood. Not sure when we will get those out, likely mid to late summer.

Hope that helps!!!

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Jun 8, 2020 at 6:50 PM Post #2,864 of 12,524
e. We are working on a LTD edition Camphor Burl run, we are making the first batch right now, and if you want to order it you can order through the Verite Open Camphor Burl page and add a note at checkout that you want the closed version.
Is it available a picture of this CB closed version?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back