ZMF Verite Closed-New Closed Back ZMF Flagship.
Mar 5, 2020 at 5:38 PM Post #2,296 of 12,598
Mar 6, 2020 at 12:49 AM Post #2,297 of 12,598
Normal?

What is this "normal" of which you speak? In this hobby, I'm not sure that term exists.

Truth! To be involved with this crazy ”hobby, ” automatically confirm upon our a degree of abnormality!

Mar 6, 2020 at 12:52 AM Post #2,298 of 12,598
@Monsterzero ... You get a card in the case with your headphones with that diagram on it now. As well as another that identifies what pads your specific headphones come with and have installed on them.

I just got my two sets of Vérité Closed in ... and both had both of the new cards (in addition to the usual ownership/warranty card). I think Zach outdid himself with these two sets ...

Verite Closed + Chord Stack (1024).jpg
Verite Closed - Seattle (1024).jpg

Chatoyance on the stabilized maple-burl is fantastic ... shifts color/contrast with light/angle.

Wow, those are absolutely beautiful, and they make me want to go bowling!

Mar 6, 2020 at 5:15 AM Post #2,300 of 12,598
Stunning! Will something similar be done also for the open version, in the future?
I am waiting for my Limited Purplewood... :)

Mar 6, 2020 at 3:15 PM Post #2,301 of 12,598
I was thinking of selling my monkeypod for the limited leopard wood, but these new special versions are stunning! I think I'll wait......

Mar 6, 2020 at 3:36 PM Post #2,302 of 12,598
Just got my Monkeypod VC, and I was disappointed with how congested it sounded it until I swapped to the Universe pads, and, OMG, the clarity! Almost too bright now, but part of it is probably the upper midrange peak that should go away with burn in. Might need to look into the Hybrid pads. But then again, that congestion (which, to be clear, is nonexistent with the Universe pads) could be in no small part due to the fact that the best amp I have is a Magni 3, so I've just now ordered a Drop THX AAA 789 (I want "neutral" and as little distortion as possible - not looking to get a tube amp - own a WA3 or something like that).

monkeypodVC.png
Here is a low-quality cell pic, taken as soon as I opened the box, just as evidence that I actually own it.

Please ignore my post history before this post - I've learned a lot about headphone appreciation since then (for an example, I no longer prefer my KSC-75 to my pre-fazor LCD-2, haha).
I listen to my MP/VC on a Drop THX789 and a Cavali Liquid Platinum tube amp from Monoprice. They sound excellent through the 789. Very "clean" sounding. However, they sound stunning with the Liquid Platinum tube amp. Just as clean, fuller midrange and better bass. I use orange label RCA tubes made in Holland. They only cost around $50 for a pair. The Liquid Platinum is twice the price of the 789 and in my opinion worth it. I use the 789 at night listening in bed because the 789 has the auto shutoff feature so I don't have to get out of bed and turn off the amp. All other times of day, listening is through the Liquid Platinum. I think you'll be happy with the 789, but you might want to start saving your spare change for a decent tube amp.

Mar 6, 2020 at 4:08 PM Post #2,303 of 12,598
Just curious - has anyone experimented with an EQ preset to boost the sub-bass?
Occasionally I use a Schiit Loki for EQing. You can get crazy bass from the VC with EQ.

Mar 6, 2020 at 7:09 PM Post #2,304 of 12,598
I listen to my MP/VC on a Drop THX789 and a Cavali Liquid Platinum tube amp from Monoprice. They sound excellent through the 789. Very "clean" sounding. However, they sound stunning with the Liquid Platinum tube amp. Just as clean, fuller midrange and better bass. I use orange label RCA tubes made in Holland. They only cost around $50 for a pair. The Liquid Platinum is twice the price of the 789 and in my opinion worth it. I use the 789 at night listening in bed because the 789 has the auto shutoff feature so I don't have to get out of bed and turn off the amp. All other times of day, listening is through the Liquid Platinum. I think you'll be happy with the 789, but you might want to start saving your spare change for a decent tube amp.
Ha, if you think the LP sounds good with the VC, you have to try the Pendant or the GOTL!!!

Mar 8, 2020 at 12:03 PM Post #2,305 of 12,598
Ha, if you think the LP sounds good with the VC, you have to try the Pendant or the GOTL!!!
The Pendant is single ended only and I have an Yggy which sounds best via XLR balanced out. It's also pricy. I don't know much about the GOTL.

Mar 8, 2020 at 9:02 PM Post #2,306 of 12,598
I’ve had my VC’s for a little over a month and finally got around to swapping pads for the Aueters. Wow, I wish I had done that sooner.

I was expecting them to be brighter but I don’t find that to be the case at all. They seem to be making the sound smoother, more balanced/even and a little wider stage. It seems to have done wonders for the mid bass and mids.

I was getting a little fatigue with the universe pads, so this has been a very pleasant surprise.

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2020 at 9:28 PM Post #2,307 of 12,598
I’ve had my VC’s for a little over a month and finally got around to swapping pads for the Aueters. Wow, I wish I had done that sooner.

I was expecting them to be brighter but I don’t find that to be the case at all. They seem to be making the sound smoother, more balanced/even and a little wider stage. It seems to have done wonders for the mid bass and mids.

I was getting a little fatigue with the universe pads, so this has been a very pleasant surprise.
Did your set not come with the Auteur pads installed? I prefer the Auteur pads as well,but usually they are the default pads.

Mar 10, 2020 at 12:46 PM Post #2,309 of 12,598
So, it seems that I might just not like the ZMF house sound, but the VC's TOTL drivers respond well to EQ, so I've changed the sound to my preferences.

ZMFVCMPvShapedEQ - Copy.png

Using the Universe pads, amp is a Massdrop THX AAA 789. Yup, this is very v-shaped, but I love the extreme clarity and complete lack of midrange congestion. Sounds amazing to me.

Mar 11, 2020 at 7:38 AM Post #2,310 of 12,598
My Arctic Cables silver cable is up for sale...it truly is a wonderful enhancement, whether you buy mine or another, it is money well well spent

Users who are viewing this thread

Back