ZMF Verite Closed-New Closed Back ZMF Flagship.
Feb 9, 2020 at 7:32 PM Post #2,131 of 12,524
Has anyone tried the VC with GS-X mini or Burson Conductor 3?

I posted this recently ...

I have been loving the VC with GSX-Mini (and Qutest as DAC). I tinkered around with a few other combinations of gear and have landed on the above and find the combination stellar.

Granted, consider I am new to this hobby and haven’t ever in my life heard a tube amp so I can’t offer any comparison there.

Still, I do feel I can confidently say the Mini with the VC will give you excellent speed, punch, detail, and soundstage. And maybe most importantly I love that I can listen loud without any fatigue.

Also for context: I am a touch treble sensitive and found the Auralic Taurus (with Qutest and VC) a touch on the sharp side, whereas I can crank up the Mini and get robust bass and punch down low without having to endure any high pitches.

I didn’t have any issues regarding treble with the Qutest/VC/Gilmore Lite, a combo I also loved. I had a balanced cord and figured I’d try the Mini as an upgrade (for lack of a better term since the Gilmore Lite truly is fantastic In it’s own right). The GSX-Mini, running balanced, to me lends a bit more soundstage. (I think I’m using the term correctly ..what I mean to say is that there seems to be more separation or space between instruments/sounds.)

Anyways, just some ramblings. In any event I love music and think the Verite, open or closed (have both currently, though I may part with the open) will keep a smile on my face for a very long time. And the Qutest and GSX-Mini to me really let the Verite shine and do their thing!

Feb 11, 2020 at 5:12 PM Post #2,132 of 12,524
Thank you guys so much (@zach915m and Bevin) for all your help. Its finally here. VC Ironwood. Just out of the box its a very impressive headphone.
20200211_180229.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2020 at 8:42 PM Post #2,133 of 12,524
My 6J5 adapter took a dump,so im unable to listen to headphones the last few days.

Im going thru VC withdrawals!

Feb 11, 2020 at 9:01 PM Post #2,134 of 12,524
My 6J5 adapter took a dump,so im unable to listen to headphones the last few days.

Get yourself a nice solid state amp as a backup / alternate. Something like a Headamp Mini (Or GS-X Mk2 if your budget allows). VC and VO do very well from high end SS amps. My 300B amp does do a better job than my GS-X Mk2 in some respects with the VC and VO, but there is not much in it.

Other issue is heat - my 300B throws out a lot of heat. Not good in the summer without AC, so the SS gear takes over until the weather cools down.

Feb 11, 2020 at 9:53 PM Post #2,135 of 12,524

Agreed with @TonyNewman , it's not ideal but the Magni 2 Uber (I assume you still have it) should at least avoid the physical withdrawal symptoms....

Feb 11, 2020 at 10:32 PM Post #2,136 of 12,524

Or you could buy my Cavalli Liquid Crimson. Seriously, no joke.

I thought I'd post here first in case anyone is interested before I list it later this week. Trying to find it a good home. Send me a PM if anyone is interested, or know anyone who is.

Feb 12, 2020 at 2:31 AM Post #2,139 of 12,524
Vintage solid state is the answer! Weren't you a sansui fan before?
Still am,but all my receivers are needing a trip to the tech at the moment. Im losing my mind!!!! :frowning2:

Feb 12, 2020 at 2:34 AM Post #2,140 of 12,524
Still am,but all my receivers are needing a trip to the tech at the moment. Im losing my mind!!!! :frowning2:
I feel your pain, I'm sure you'll be back in a few days.
They say absence makes the heart grow fonder.

Feb 12, 2020 at 10:03 AM Post #2,141 of 12,524

I keep a Schiit Vali 2 with a NOS GE 6CG7 tube as my backup amp. It's not great by any means, but good enough in a pinch. Most importantly, it's small and cheap, so I don't feel bad having it sitting unused so much.

Feb 12, 2020 at 10:22 AM Post #2,142 of 12,524

Well...I'll tell you this.
I received the vc in december. Listened to them and loved them...but my amp had been off for months and a channel was very noisy, so I decide to bring it to a electronics repairer near my city to had it fixed. Holidays pass; I get the amp back, theorically fixed... but the noise is still there. Arg! I bring it back. But now the repairer gets the flu... So he can't look at it. And when he can, it turns out that he can't figure out where the actual internal problem is. So we decide to write to the actual amp designer, who tells us that it could be a defective jfet in the input stage. It's rare, but it can happen. But you need specific and matched components to fix it! So the best thing to do is to send him the amp directly, so he can personally repair it.
Done.
Now I'm waiting for it.
Result: my vc are on my desk from almost two months. And I used them once.
I think I could become a monk :) how about it?

Feb 12, 2020 at 1:52 PM Post #2,143 of 12,524
Well...I'll tell you this.
I received the vc in december. Listened to them and loved them...but my amp had been off for months and a channel was very noisy, so I decide to bring it to a electronics repairer near my city to had it fixed. Holidays pass; I get the amp back, theorically fixed... but the noise is still there. Arg! I bring it back. But now the repairer gets the flu... So he can't look at it. And when he can, it turns out that he can't figure out where the actual internal problem is. So we decide to write to the actual amp designer, who tells us that it could be a defective jfet in the input stage. It's rare, but it can happen. But you need specific and matched components to fix it! So the best thing to do is to send him the amp directly, so he can personally repair it.
Done.
Now I'm waiting for it.
Result: my vc are on my desk from almost two months. And I used them once.
I think I could become a monk :) how about it?
OK,you win the VC Lonely Hearts Club award. Man that sucks in a big way. Hope your amp returns in a timely manner.

Feb 13, 2020 at 10:02 AM Post #2,144 of 12,524
Hot damn the new Leopardwood looks nice!

Feb 13, 2020 at 10:14 AM Post #2,145 of 12,524

Users who are viewing this thread

Back