ZMF questions on Ori, Eikon, Atticus, Blackwood, Vibro.
Apr 24, 2018 at 12:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

omegaorgun

Previously known as FireLion
Hi All

I am considering getting an Ori as I love T50RP based headphones.

I would like to know from someone if you have listened to an Ori, Eikon and Atticus and how they compared?

How does the Ori compare to Alpha Primes.?

I am also interested in knowing how the Blackwood and Vibro are.

Thank in advance.

Apr 24, 2018 at 10:50 PM Post #2 of 2
I can chime in on how the Blackwood sounds but I can't compare it to anything there but the T50RP MKIII. Comparing these two with a Chord Mojo + Schiit Lyr 3, the Blackwood sounds like a much better version. Biggest difference is treble, which is far more refined, detailed, and natural on the Blackwood, seems more even/linear and better extended too providing a more 'airy' sound. Cymbals sound so much more real on the Blackwood, it's quite incredible that Zach makes this headphone out of a T50. The next biggest difference is sub-bass and bass impact I think, more slam and much tighter, perhaps deeper extension. Imaging is also 10x better on the Blackwood somehow, it has noticeably more detail retrieval, mids sound a bit more transparent and engaging in general. It's awesome and the only thing it isn't great for is classical, just because it's closed back I suppose but also doesn't have the best transparency and detail for such music (but it's not bad either).

The current Blackwood is also super comfortable thanks to the suspension headband, you never feel that weight. The huge thick cowhide leather pads are also great for comfort and they don't make sweat surprisingly, though summer hasn't come yet. I wrote a review on the Blackwood here on Head-Fi very recently if you're interested in knowing more:

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/zmf-blackwood.20484/reviews#review-20172

The Ori is essentially an 85% closed Blackwood (opposed to 100%) with very little difference otherwise. The Vibro is discontinued unfortunately. I'm interested in a comparison between these headphones too, so consider this post a bump!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back