ZMF Pendant by Ampsandsound; impressions, tube-rolling, and general discussions
Jun 7, 2022 at 4:55 PM Post #1,426 of 2,523
From what I saw, there is no difference from the SE except the speaker taps and it comes in flat black vs fancy wood. Price now is $2899. I bought my SE when they were first launched and got the new product discount. What a bargain that turned out to be!

Jun 7, 2022 at 4:57 PM Post #1,427 of 2,523
From what I saw, there is no difference from the SE except the speaker taps and it comes in flat black vs fancy wood. Price now is $2899. I bought my SE when they were first launched and got the new product discount. What a bargain that turned out to be!
I got the preorder price as well, and man that sure was a deal. I much prefer the custom Walnut Burl base and ZMF logo too.

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2022 at 7:00 PM Post #1,429 of 2,523
Jun 7, 2022 at 8:18 PM Post #1,430 of 2,523
Jun 8, 2022 at 4:41 AM Post #1,431 of 2,523
To elaborate on the incredible experience of the Telefunken G73R, listening to some songs gets so emotional and mentally draining, that I have to take the headphones off and walk around the house a bit to come back to reality. I really can't believe one tube can make this much of a difference to every aspect of the sound, and I have never said OMG (out loud :astonished:) so many times while listening as I have with this tube. I have heard a bunch of really exotic NOS tubes over the years, and have been blown away before, but this is on a completely different level from them all. The texture and weight of the notes is so thick (but not overdone at all) you can literally feel it, combined with speed and super snappy transients with just enough edge, more detail/transparency and nuances than I have ever heard before, and a stage that expands in all directions with full on 3D holographic imaging. I thought I had heard holographic imaging before this tube, and now I really know what the term truly means. The sound is projected deelpy front and back and all around and in between, with images fully fleshed out like I have never heard before, sounds exploding and floating out of a super black background (the blackest I have ever heard) from all directions, with decay that lingers but just long enough to hear every last note and syllable. As I have mentioned before, I feel like I just upgraded a major component, so for me that definitely justifies the high cost of which is a bargain compared to upgrading a component. Truly a magical experience, and one I am glad I finally took a chance on. A special thanks to @nwavesailor for giving me the nudge to finally buy one! I am looking to get another amp to add to the mix (DNA Stratus, Cayin HA300mk2, and Decware/ZMF OTL), and whichever one I end up going with is going to have some tough competition with the Pendant SE and my current tube combo. There really is nothing more satisfying in this hobby than finding that special tube combo that takes things to levels you did not know were possible!

"Tube Combo of Dreams" - Telefunken G73R + Tungsram EL84 Welded Plates Foil O Getters + RFT EZ81 Welded Plate Foil Disc Getter = There with the musicians :grin:

Life is short enjoy it while you can and roll on until you get "There"!

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2022 at 4:46 AM Post #1,432 of 2,523
Last edited:
Jun 8, 2022 at 11:07 AM Post #1,433 of 2,523
@Wes S are these the RFT EZ81s to which you're referring? Is THERE more than one style of this tube? I don’t want to buy the wrong one.

1654700809628.png

Jun 8, 2022 at 11:26 AM Post #1,434 of 2,523
@Wes S are these the RFT EZ81s to which you're referring? Is THERE more than one style of this tube? I don’t want to buy the wrong one.

Those are latter years version, and don't have the welded plates and foil getter, so not quite the same. I have a few of those as well, and they don't have the magic of the welded plates. Just for reference, the earlier version I am using, does not have those holes in the plates or an O Getter.

Here is a pic of the one I am using and prefer.

Screenshot_20220608-102457_eBay.jpg

Jun 8, 2022 at 11:26 AM Post #1,435 of 2,523

1654700809628.png
Those are the ‘halo getters’: look towards the top inside the glass. The preferable ones are ‘foil getters’: those are covered in foil.

Jun 8, 2022 at 11:28 AM Post #1,436 of 2,523

1654700809628.png
There is no wrong (i.e. bad) RFT EZ81. It is that ‘foil getter’ > ‘halo getter’.

Jun 8, 2022 at 11:57 AM Post #1,437 of 2,523
There is no wrong (i.e. bad) RFT EZ81. It is that ‘foil getter’ > ‘halo getter’.
The welded plates (earliest) are actually the better version and what to look for. The foil getter can have stapled plates (during the transition), and those don't sound as good as the welded plates. I have 4 different versions.

1. Earliest RFT - labeled Funkwerk Erfurt with welded plates and foil getter

2. Next came the RFT label with welded plates and foil getter

3. Then the RFT label with stapled plates (holes in the plate) with foil getter

4. The last version with RFT labeling, stapled plates with an O (halo) Getter

The first 2 versions best the last 2, in terms of sounding more natural and lifelike. Earlier tubes often sounds better (more organic, natural and lifelike), and that's most definitely the case with the RFT (Formerly known as Funkwerk Erfurt) EZ81.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2022 at 12:09 PM Post #1,438 of 2,523
Thank you, Wes. I had forgotten about the ‘welded plate’ variety.

Jun 8, 2022 at 2:33 PM Post #1,440 of 2,523
F5EE8D9A-47C8-4260-9679-D24CB77E7691.jpeg
Just added some 12BH7 Hytron to my collection. Been trying to collect colored tip tubes but not sure if this Red tip one looks legit much more colored than other ones. Just curious what others think about it.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back