ZMF Pendant by Ampsandsound; impressions, tube-rolling, and general discussions
Jun 19, 2022 at 2:48 PM Post #1,456 of 2,513
I am discovering that the Funkwerk Erfurt EZ81s are very difficult to come by. I found 1 in Russia, but with their ongoing war in Ukraine, they are unable to ship materials out of the country. I remembered that I have a later version of the RFT EZ81 with the plate holes that I purchased a while back, but it had a terrible hum so I set it aside. After purchasing a contact cleaner spray and cleaning the tube contacts, I placed it into the socket and put the TUNG-SOL EZ81 back in its box for the time being. The RFT is much more neutral sounding and, is much cleaner and more detailed, and initially, it didn’t seem to have quite the punch of the TUNG-SOL. But, after listening for a while, it is very balanced across the entire frequency spectrum and I am a liking it very much. I am currently running the Tung-sol 12BH7A, Tungsram EL84s and the RFT EZ81; neutral, detailed, smooth. Thank you @Wes S :)

Jun 19, 2022 at 5:04 PM Post #1,458 of 2,513
L👀K !! (A typographical error or Bangybang / cartago_est_delenda / menifee / wege_high_tubes rolled into the tube demon incarnate):
BA35D8BE-99CF-4CDB-B019-7F904544D400.jpeg

Jun 19, 2022 at 5:38 PM Post #1,460 of 2,513
Jun 19, 2022 at 8:35 PM Post #1,461 of 2,513
L👀K !! (A typographical error or Bangybang / cartago_est_delenda / menifee / wege_high_tubes rolled into the tube demon incarnate):BA35D8BE-99CF-4CDB-B019-7F904544D400.jpeg
ROFL!!!!!!!

I have probably 10 or 12 of those in the stash. Maybe I should sell them and buy a new car. Or find a mistress and lavish her with gifts. Or maybe start selling tubes full time and quit my job. :laughing:

Jun 19, 2022 at 8:44 PM Post #1,462 of 2,513
What a rip off! I wouldn't ask more than 3k for those tubes.

Jun 25, 2022 at 3:59 PM Post #1,463 of 2,513
Any one know what tube this is? I have one and would like to find another.
IMG_0232.JPG
IMG_0233.JPG

Jun 25, 2022 at 4:33 PM Post #1,464 of 2,513
Jun 25, 2022 at 4:41 PM Post #1,465 of 2,513
Jun 25, 2022 at 5:33 PM Post #1,466 of 2,513
Agree. Definitely Russian with the UFO getter. Pretty similar (if not the same) to these:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/295062799879?hash=item44b31d0607:g:nBMAAOSwdqJih~P~
Specifically, I think those are Reflecktor made Russian tubes. They used halo getters as well, but they’re the only manufacturer I’ve seen that used the UFO getters on their 6p14p/6bq5 tubes. I’m no historian however. In my eBay searches, they’re still easily attainable, very cheap, AND quite good - an absolute unicorn in today’s tube market!

Jun 25, 2022 at 7:57 PM Post #1,467 of 2,513
My uncle had a box of old tubes in his basement. My grandfather used to fix TVs. This was in the box. It looks brand new. Nothing great in the box. A perfect condition GE and Tungsol 12xx7. I was hoping to find a real treasure, but didn't. I'll look at reflector tubes. Thanks!

Jun 25, 2022 at 8:15 PM Post #1,468 of 2,513
Specifically, I think those are Reflecktor made Russian tubes. They used halo getters as well, but they’re the only manufacturer I’ve seen that used the UFO getters on their 6p14p/6bq5 tubes. I’m no historian however. In my eBay searches, they’re still easily attainable, very cheap, AND quite good - an absolute unicorn in today’s tube market!
Agreed. I really like the Russian 6P14P-EV or K variants. You can tell they're robust, the glass is noticeably thicker than standard EL84s. Been using these in a few different amps over the years including currently. Great sounding tubes and can be had rather inexpensively. Vivatubes is a great seller for these

Jun 25, 2022 at 10:23 PM Post #1,469 of 2,513
I just had an easily noticeable improvement in sound quality by adding a big-ass 10 AWG power cable to the Pendant from my Furman PL-8 C power conditioner. The music was immediately more weighty and authoritative, at the same time becoming more defined and detailed. Instrument imaging and stage depth improved.

I was wondering what others are using in regards to RCAs, headphone cables, and power cables. I would like to upgrade my headphone cable to improve the SQ there, as well. Suggestions? @Wes S What is that headphone cable you’re using?

Jun 26, 2022 at 5:34 AM Post #1,470 of 2,513
I just had an easily noticeable improvement in sound quality by adding a big-ass 10 AWG power cable to the Pendant from my Furman PL-8 C power conditioner. The music was immediately more weighty and authoritative, at the same time becoming more defined and detailed. Instrument imaging and stage depth improved.

I was wondering what others are using in regards to RCAs, headphone cables, and power cables. I would like to upgrade my headphone cable to improve the SQ there, as well. Suggestions? @Wes S What is that headphone cable you’re using?
Funny you should mention cables, as that's currently where I am at in my journey with my system. I have been through lots of the Audioquest entry level stuff, and it's OK but you are paying more for the name. Another budget brand I highly recommend is Pangea Audio. I have been using their AC 14SE MKII power cord on all 3 of my components and that PC gets a big rec from me, and if you want to go the budget route that's where it's at. Another company I was recently recommended to try out cables from is Audio Envy. A forum buddy of mine who's ears I trust swears by them and I have upgraded to one of their Power Cables (Ocean Elite 3P) on my DAC so far and I have been blown away, and so impressed I will be putting that PC on both my Streamer and Amp eventually. As for RCA's, I have been using some Audioquest Red River and they are great, but as of 2 days ago, I just upgraded to Audio Envy Studio Prestige RCA's and they have been blowing my mind. As for headphone cable, I use nothing but Norne Audio for that, and I am currently running a Draug 3s (all OCC copper), of which has been discontinued and now he offers a similar configuration called Drausk. I have found once you are happy with your DAC and tube situation, cables can really help fine tune your system and some can really surprise you with how much they can influence the sound.

So I recommend Pangea Audio for budget friendly cables with amazing performance, and then for a bit pricier but "Endgame" performance I recommend Audio Envy, of which are still really affordable prices for what you get.

I have found cables can definitely make a difference with gear at this level, and the Audio Envy stuff is flat-out stunning.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back