ZMF Pendant by Ampsandsound; impressions, tube-rolling, and general discussions
Jun 30, 2022 at 7:11 AM Post #1,486 of 2,446
It's an incredible super tube, that sounds unlike any other tube in the family or any 12AT7 or 12AX7 as well. The transparency/detail is stunning with more nuance than I have ever heard, combined with texture you can feel and an organic richness that adds weight to the notes but never steers into bloated as the speed is insane with tight hard hitting bass, mids and vocals so lifelike sounding it's scary, and a very airy and extended but smooth and fatigue free top end and then on top of all that the staging is so massive and holographic it really is in a league of it's own. I call it a super tube, because of the sonics and also because it is rated for 40,000 hours. The price is insane, but unfortunately it's the going rate these days. I can tell you this, it's been a revelation and big ease off my mind and bank account, not looking for tubes anymore, as I know nothing can top or come close to this one. So, I definitely think it's worth the price of admission, as a "one and done" kind of tube purchase.

Thanks for your explanation, really intrigued now. I was thinking of replacing pendant with Cayin HA 300 mk2 which use 2 x 300b and 2 x 6SN7GTB. I know 300b are very difficult to find, is that a tube you have experience with? I will start with stock GoldLion 300 and Tung Sol 6SN7GTB but will look to step up eventually.

Do you have any thoughts on tubes equivalent to G73R which I could look in to for Cayin. From what you have said about G73R I might just hold on to pendant or get something else which could use this tube down the line.

Jun 30, 2022 at 7:43 AM Post #1,487 of 2,446
Thanks for your explanation, really intrigued now. I was thinking of replacing pendant with Cayin HA 300 mk2 which use 2 x 300b and 2 x 6SN7GTB. I know 300b are very difficult to find, is that a tube you have experience with? I will start with stock GoldLion 300 and Tung Sol 6SN7GTB but will look to step up eventually.

Do you have any thoughts on tubes equivalent to G73R which I could look in to for Cayin. From what you have said about G73R I might just hold on to pendant or get something else which could use this tube down the line.
Sure thing, and you are actually in a similar place as I am with looking at other amps. However, am not looking to replace my Pendant SE, and I am thinking of adding another to the mix for variety. I have been looking at the Cayin HA300mk2, DNA Stratus V4 and Decware OTL, as my next amp. However, the Pendant SE really is so freaking good, especially with the G73R that I am not in a rush.

As for tubes for the HA300mk2, if I go that route I will definitely be going with New Production Western Electric 300B, as they are said to sound almost as good as the OG version, are easily attainable and have a 5 year warranty, but they are pricey. As for driver tubes (6SN7), I would actually get some adapters and run two 6J5'S per channel instead, as the NOS 6SN7 market is just about dried up, and there are some really good NOS 6J5 still available like G.E.C. That being said, I don't know of any "super" tubes equal to G73R that could be used in the HA300mk2, and it's the same kind of tube situation with the Stratus as well. The Decware/ZMF OTL collab is the one I am most interested in, as I would be able to use the G73R as the driver tube with an adapter in that amp, so that is most likely the amp I will be going with next. If I do go with the Decware OTL, the G73R will be splitting time between both the Pendant SE and the OTL, and I won't have to buy any other driver tubes, so that would be a big plus.

Of note, the other tubes in my Pendant SE, the Funkwerk Erfurt EL84 WPFG and RFT EZ81 WPFG, play a big role in letting the G73R do all that it can do. So, as good as the G73R is, it still requires a good pairing with the power and rectifier tubes to really let it's magic come through.

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2022 at 9:15 PM Post #1,488 of 2,446
Funny you should mention cables, as that's currently where I am at in my journey with my system. I have been through lots of the Audioquest entry level stuff, and it's OK but you are paying more for the name. Another budget brand I highly recommend is Pangea Audio. I have been using their AC 14SE MKII power cord on all 3 of my components and that PC gets a big rec from me, and if you want to go the budget route that's where it's at. Another company I was recently recommended to try out cables from is Audio Envy. A forum buddy of mine who's ears I trust swears by them and I have upgraded to one of their Power Cables (Ocean Elite 3P) on my DAC so far and I have been blown away, and so impressed I will be putting that PC on both my Streamer and Amp eventually. As for RCA's, I have been using some Audioquest Red River and they are great, but as of 2 days ago, I just upgraded to Audio Envy Studio Prestige RCA's and they have been blowing my mind. As for headphone cable, I use nothing but Norne Audio for that, and I am currently running a Draug 3s (all OCC copper), of which has been discontinued and now he offers a similar configuration called Drausk. I have found once you are happy with your DAC and tube situation, cables can really help fine tune your system and some can really surprise you with how much they can influence the sound.

So I recommend Pangea Audio for budget friendly cables with amazing performance, and then for a bit pricier but "Endgame" performance I recommend Audio Envy, of which are still really affordable prices for what you get.

I have found cables can definitely make a difference with gear at this level, and the Audio Envy stuff is flat-out stunning.
I can attest to Audio Envy’s stuff. It brings out a musicality especially in the mid range that I haven’t heard in other cables. It does slightly assist in micro detail as well and it’s pretty affordable. I have noticed stacking the cables too much is too much of a good thing as I now have gone back to a different power cord for my streamer.

@Wes S - have you compared the Telefunken to the GEC AC2900? I recall you having heard that ultra rare tube as well.

Last edited:
Jul 3, 2022 at 3:35 AM Post #1,489 of 2,446
I can attest to Audio Envy’s stuff. It brings out a musicality especially in the mid range that I haven’t heard in other cables. It does slightly assist in micro detail as well and it’s pretty affordable. I have noticed stacking the cables too much is too much of a good thing as I now have gone back to a different power cord for my streamer.

@Wes S - have you compared the Telefunken to the GEC AC2900? I recall you having heard that ultra rare tube as well.
Interesting, as I and several other's I have been chatting with have noticed the more Audio Envy cables you stack, the better it gets, and they were designed that way from AE. Also, the GEC A2900 can't be used in the Pendant, so I have not tried that one.

Last edited:
Jul 3, 2022 at 3:42 AM Post #1,490 of 2,446
Interesting, as I and several other's I have been chatting with have noticed the more Audio Envy cables you stack, the better it gets, and they maker designed it that way. Also, the GEC A2900 can't be used in the Pendant, so I have not tried that one.
Ah I thought it was a 12AT7 variant my bad. In my experience I’ve found that it begins to blur detail as it imparts too much warmth. I’ll keep trying with different tube sets to see if I get a different opinion but at least with my speakers I have noticed that as a difference. I do intend to check out those RCA cables.

Jul 3, 2022 at 3:50 AM Post #1,491 of 2,446
Ah I thought it was a 12AT7 variant my bad. In my experience I’ve found that it begins to blur detail as it imparts too much warmth. I’ll keep trying with different tube sets to see if I get a different opinion but at least with my speakers I have noticed that as a difference. I do intend to check out those RCA cables.
The Audio Envy RCA's are super fast and detailed and with good stage expansion and balance out the hint of warmth/mid focus you get with their PC, and they really are tuned to work as a system.

Last edited:
Jul 3, 2022 at 9:47 PM Post #1,492 of 2,446
Interesting, as I and several other's I have been chatting with have noticed the more Audio Envy cables you stack, the better it gets, and they were designed that way from AE. Also, the GEC A2900 can't be used in the Pendant, so I have not tried that one.
Why cannot the GEC A2900 be used in the Pendant? Is it not a 12AT7 type? Does the A2900 have a particular characteristic which eliminates its use in Pendant? 🤔🤷🏻‍♂️

Jul 4, 2022 at 5:42 AM Post #1,494 of 2,446
I can't remember why, (current draw?) but Justin said the A2900 was a No-Go in the Pendant.
I looked up the specs, and it appears the A2900 pulls twice the Va (500), compared to the 12AT7 (250), so perhaps that's why the A2900 can't be used in the Pendant.

Jul 4, 2022 at 9:17 AM Post #1,495 of 2,446
I looked up the specs, and it appears the A2900 pulls twice the Va (500), compared to the 12AT7 (250), so perhaps that's why the A2900 can't be used in the Pendant.
Thank you Wes.

Jul 5, 2022 at 6:10 AM Post #1,496 of 2,446
I’ve tried the TungSol black glass 12au7’s. The black coating is thinner in spots and they appear to have grey plates. They have the most bass of any tube I have tried however it comes at a cost. That bass muddies clarity/detail compared to other tubes I have. The bass is just a little more than the early 60’s RCA clear glass 12au7, which also muddies clarity a little. Depending on what I am listening too (poorly mastered rock) it doesn’t really matter. They are a little forward sounding which doesn’t allow instruments to fully be separated in presentation, but still have an incredible 3D effect unlike anything else I have heard. The highs are clear, but just like the 12bh7 grey plate TungSol I have, cause irritation for me. The black plate 12bh7 I have does not do that. Overall, the black glass TungSol 12au7 has a unique sound to it that is just different than any other tubes I have. I just can’t listen to it for hours on end because of the fatigue I get from the highs. The 1950/51’ Ken-Rad/GE 5814/12au7 pewter plate is still my King! I just love that tube. It is well balanced and the clarity is astonishing with a crazy holographic sound. I have tried the 12bh7 and 12ax7 versions as well and they just don’t have the same holographic presentation as the 12au7. The 12ax7 pewter plate sounds very similar in every other regard with a touch more bass, but just not the same. The 12bh7 has the most bass weight of the three, but doesn’t have the clarity or the holographic presentation.

On another note, I bought an old Mercury tube tester off the Bay. Seems to work OK. I‘ve tried a few tubes in it and actually found a 6922 I have for my Vali 2 that had a short. A pair of inexpensive supposed “NOS” tubes I have read at 65%. You get what you pay for I guess.

Jul 5, 2022 at 7:29 AM Post #1,497 of 2,446
I’ve tried the TungSol black glass 12au7’s. The black coating is thinner in spots and they appear to have grey plates. They have the most bass of any tube I have tried however it comes at a cost. That bass muddies clarity/detail compared to other tubes I have. The bass is just a little more than the early 60’s RCA clear glass 12au7, which also muddies clarity a little. Depending on what I am listening too (poorly mastered rock) it doesn’t really matter. They are a little forward sounding which doesn’t allow instruments to fully be separated in presentation, but still have an incredible 3D effect unlike anything else I have heard. The highs are clear, but just like the 12bh7 grey plate TungSol I have, cause irritation for me. The black plate 12bh7 I have does not do that. Overall, the black glass TungSol 12au7 has a unique sound to it that is just different than any other tubes I have. I just can’t listen to it for hours on end because of the fatigue I get from the highs. The 1950/51’ Ken-Rad/GE 5814/12au7 pewter plate is still my King! I just love that tube. It is well balanced and the clarity is astonishing with a crazy holographic sound. I have tried the 12bh7 and 12ax7 versions as well and they just don’t have the same holographic presentation as the 12au7. The 12ax7 pewter plate sounds very similar in every other regard with a touch more bass, but just not the same. The 12bh7 has the most bass weight of the three, but doesn’t have the clarity or the holographic presentation.

On another note, I bought an old Mercury tube tester off the Bay. Seems to work OK. I‘ve tried a few tubes in it and actually found a 6922 I have for my Vali 2 that had a short. A pair of inexpensive supposed “NOS” tubes I have read at 65%. You get what you pay for I guess.
Good stuff! You know you are in deep, when you buy a tube tester. :wink:

I love reading about tube rolling adventures, and thanks for sharing!

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2022 at 12:51 PM Post #1,498 of 2,446
Good stuff! You know you are in deep, when you buy a tube tester. :wink:

I love reading about tube rolling adventures, and thanks for sharing!
Hahaha, I guess so. It was $100. Not a fancy expensive one. It’s able to check for gas leakage, shorts and quality (good/bad with life percentage). You can get up there in price really fast with the more advanced testers. This is a fun hobby!

Jul 6, 2022 at 10:25 PM Post #1,499 of 2,446
@Wes S @4LoveOfSound Could I please get some help identifying these tubes? They are labeled ‘’GE’’ and the seller claims that they are “GE/Ken-Rad pewter plates with silver clips and square getters”. They test at 90/90 and 92/92 respectively. What think ye?
GE Ken Rad pewter plates with silver clips and square getters.jpg
GE Ken Rad pewter plates with silver clips and square getters 2.jpg

Thank you (-:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back