ZMF Ori (Omni) - Upcoming Semi Open Flagship
Jun 20, 2016 at 1:03 PM Post #1,426 of 2,544
Now thats an analog sounding set up.
I recommend scouting an external power supply. It is been mentioned to improve the speed and transparency of the Musette

Now that is quite interesting! And it makes total sense, given what I have heard from the Musette so far. I'll need to try that out at some point.

Jun 20, 2016 at 6:31 PM Post #1,427 of 2,544
Don't forget there is also the ZMF amp coming out. I remember a seeing a placeholder page getting leaked and removed a couple months back. No idea when it's going to be released but might be worth holding out for.

Jun 20, 2016 at 6:34 PM Post #1,428 of 2,544
  Don't forget there is also the ZMF amp coming out. I remember a seeing a placeholder page getting leaked and removed a couple months back. No idea when it's going to be released but might be worth holding out for.

I believe they had a prototype running at Axpona, so I expect it shouldn't be TOO far out...

Jun 21, 2016 at 1:24 AM Post #1,430 of 2,544

I got a chance to listen to it at Axpona. It wasn't quite finished yet, but it is coming along quite nicely. Very smooth and tubey from what I heard. Zach mentioned he had a number of changes he wanted to make still, so I can't offer a lot more than that at this point. It certainly has lots of potential though. Excited to hear the next iteration.

Jun 21, 2016 at 11:27 AM Post #1,431 of 2,544
  Hey Zach, it is super awesome to see A & B Stock Walnut/Cherry Omni headphones on the site. Before I order a pair, I was curious if we could ever know about any of the exotic wood A/B stocks ever going on sale?

This is the first time I have ever listed a non B-stock model below list price for the Omni, reason being is just that I am not going to be carrying walnut for the foreseeable future.  So you can think of it as a "Last chance to get Walnut sale" as well.  Since I started releasing new woods Walnut has taken a back seat, and I have a bunch that has those very slight errors around the ports due to CNC routing using the wrong bit for the slots.  I have sold a few of these and the owners always comment that they can't tell anything is wrong with them. 

I will not be discounting any other woods. 
ph34r.gif

I do have some B stock Cherry sets listed as well with the same minor issue.  Here's pics of a Walnut B-stock set:

Also of note, I do have a lot of wood stock on the way.  Some past favorites and some new woods.  I am very excited to try them!  More info coming soon.  As a teaser, there will be more Purple Heart which I know a number of people wanted:

Yes!!! We are almost done with the amp.  As with any project I've worked on so far, getting the last 5% done is always the toughest part, but in some ways the most gratifying.  The knobs and panels for the Amp came in, initial choices for wood will be Blackwood, Cocobolo and Zebrawood for the panels and knobs.  I will make an official announcement as soon as we finish the final final prototypes and I can post pictures etc.  We are close to doing that but our electrical engineer, Dan at Sonnare Audio is still tweaking a few more things.

....and FYI, Zach is a Metrum Dealer.  He just didn't update his site yet to reflect it yet.

And yes very true!  We are a Metrum dealer but just haven't updated the site as I want to change everything over on the website at once.  You will be able to buy the ZMF Amp and Musette together at a great price.  Our goal is to have a complete rig that runs both planars and high impedance headphones better than anything in the price range we're selling the amp and dac for.  Initial impressions with the HD650/800 are fantastic, and ofcourse they sound marvelous with any ZMF and other similarly hard to drive planars.

More soon!  Please let me know if you have questions regarding any and all of this.

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Jun 21, 2016 at 11:44 AM Post #1,432 of 2,544

This is the first time I have ever listed a non B-stock model below list price for the Omni, reason being is just that I am not going to be carrying walnut for the foreseeable future.  So you can think of it as a "Last chance to get Walnut sale" as well.  Since I started releasing new woods Walnut has taken a back seat, and I have a bunch that has those very slight errors around the ports due to CNC routing using the wrong bit for the slots.  I have sold a few of these and the owners always comment that they can't tell anything is wrong with them. 

ph34r.gif

I do have some B stock Cherry sets listed as well with the same minor issue.  Here's pics of a Walnut B-stock set:

Also of note, I do have a lot of wood stock on the way.  Some past favorites and some new woods.  I am very excited to try them!  More info coming soon.  As a teaser, there will be more Purple Heart which I know a number of people wanted:

Yes!!! We are almost done with the amp.  As with any project I've worked on so far, getting the last 5% done is always the toughest part, but in some ways the most gratifying.  The knobs and panels for the Amp came in, initial choices for wood will be Blackwood, Cocobolo and Zebrawood for the panels and knobs.  I will make an official announcement as soon as we finish the final final prototypes and I can post pictures etc.  We are close to doing that but our electrical engineer, Dan at Sonnare Audio is still tweaking a few more things.

And yes very true!  We are a Metrum dealer but just haven't updated the site as I want to change everything over on the website at once.  You will be able to buy the ZMF Amp and Musette together at a great price.  Our goal is to have a complete rig that runs both planars and high impedance headphones better than anything in the price range we're selling the amp and dac for.  Initial impressions with the HD650/800 are fantastic, and ofcourse they sound marvelous with any ZMF and other similarly hard to drive planars.

More soon!  Please let me know if you have questions regarding any and all of this.

Really excited to hear news of the amp/dac pairings!  I can't think of many amps that work with both high impedance phones AND planars.  An amp that has good synergy with an HD800 and planars could really shake things up!

Now hard to drive planars...does that include the HE6?

Jun 21, 2016 at 12:58 PM Post #1,433 of 2,544

ph34r.gif

Purple Heart making a return!? Now I am curious to wait and see what other woods you pair with the Omni. So with the news that the Walnut is essentially being discontinued, do you think you will include anymore 899$ wood cups or will 999$ exotic wood cups be the entirety of what the new wave will be made of?

Hearing the addition of the Purple Heart and more to come is tempting me to wait for those to have a more unique headphone!

Thank you for the reply Zach! Can't wait to own my first pair of ZMF's later this year.

Jun 21, 2016 at 2:46 PM Post #1,434 of 2,544

Really excited to hear news of the amp/dac pairings!  I can't think of many amps that work with both high impedance phones AND planars.  An amp that has good synergy with an HD800 and planars could really shake things up!

Now hard to drive planars...does that include the HE6?

Hahah yeah that's what we're going for.  Full specs to come soon.  It was tough finding the exact tube compliment needed to get the gain and tone needed, I think we nailed it.

Someone tested the HE-6 at a headphone meet and said it seemed to drive them fine, I didn't listen and that was before we turned the gain up to where I felt it needed to be (I like REALLY loud to be around noon).

Quote:
  Purple Heart making a return!? Now I am curious to wait and see what other woods you pair with the Omni. So with the news that the Walnut is essentially being discontinued, do you think you will include anymore 899$ wood cups or will 999$ exotic wood cups be the entirety of what the new wave will be made of?

Hearing the addition of the Purple Heart and more to come is tempting me to wait for those to have a more unique headphone!

Thank you for the reply Zach! Can't wait to own my first pair of ZMF's later this year.

What I'm doing is making the "standard" Omni be with Cherry wood.  Walnut and Cherry are very alike in that they are American woods of medium density, so it seems to be redundant to have both. 

I believe many of the new woods will be listed at $899 with the exception of Cocobolo.  So the $999 woods are Bocote, Cocobolo, African Blackwood.

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Jun 21, 2016 at 3:30 PM Post #1,435 of 2,544
As nice looking as some of the exotic woods are, I do not mind owing a "B" Cherry. I could never afford the exotics for a long to come. The cherry Omni's sound amazing and the price was much easier to deal with
which made me a very happy camper! Zach did right by me as he does everybody else....

I saved a little more and just pre-ordered the Cavalli LC... I had no idea about a ZMF amp coming out, I must have missed the news it was coming....
I will need a balanced DAC or at least an upgrade to the Bi-Frost Uber I have had for awhile... A lot of people say go Chord Mojo for the money. I am going to guess the DACS you are going to be 
selling will be a bit more? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back