ZMF November // 2023 // MEGATHREAD!
Nov 28, 2023 at 1:42 AM Post #1,306 of 2,414
AC is pretty good. I have all three sets, Elite, Auteur, and Atrium closed. Between the 3 I listen to the AC the most. Auteur second. Elite last.

My reason is that the ZMF sets sound more organic. Absolutely nothing wrong with the Elite, it's an excellent headphone that I don't have any real complaints about. Just personal taste.
The organic nature is exactly why I prefer ZMFs over everything else. The Atrium open on acoustic tracks with a strong vocal presence constantly gives me chills

Nov 28, 2023 at 5:49 AM Post #1,307 of 2,414
Who else is excited to receive their orders?

😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁
I can't seem to focus on my work and keep refreshing my emails...

Received a ZMF promo email yesterday and though my order got shipped :darthsmile:

Nov 28, 2023 at 5:55 AM Post #1,308 of 2,414

Received a ZMF promo email yesterday and though my order got shipped :darthsmile:
The ZMF promo emails are quite cruel aren't they? They always show up when you've been loitering around on the website, which is inevitably when you're getting antsy about a pending order :sweat_smile:

Nov 28, 2023 at 6:00 AM Post #1,309 of 2,414
Just noticed you have the exact combo of headphones I’m considering. I already have and love an Elite, and I’ve been thinking an Ash Atrium Closed would be a perfect complement to my Elite. I have a beautiful Ash OG Auteur, but it gets almost no head time at this point. I think a really good closed-back makes more sense as an alternative.

Are you pretty satisfied with this combo of headphones? If I could get a natural Ash AC that looks as nice as my Auteur, I think I might be able to finally let go of the Auteur. Right now it’s just eye candy for me while I listen to the Elite 99% of the time.
I've been really enjoying the AC and mainly listening to that at the moment (honeymoon spell). But, I do listen to a lot of classical, jazz and and my preference is for the Elites for these genres (new angled pads). Acoustic music I can easily go with either depending on the tracks. With the Elites you get a lot better feel for large open soundstages and finer detail. If I listen to the Elites for a while and move back to the AC I can feel the smaller stage but that isn't to knock the AC, it still offers a big stage for a closed back and has lovely layering / imaging. Very holographic at times.

As has been mentioned, the sound is very organic and I like using the standard copper cable with the AC rather than the Lavricables Grand that I have for the Elites. The copper seems to provide a smoother, organic feel which seems to compliment the AC.

I use the AC for EDM, electronic and rock / pop when I want a sub bass hit. That said, I do like the Elites for these but if you're in the mood for extra weight, sub-bass for a change, the AC gets it. The Elites have a sense that they provide a faster response and while they don't have the same sub bass quantity, they do have a good quality tight bass.

Top and bottom of it, I think the AC work well with the Elites as they do provide contrasting styles and both excel in genres that the other doesn't while both being very good at the genres they don't excel at. I think over time it will become easier to know which to grab depending on mood and genre. Would I buy the AC again? Yes, without doubt. They pair wonderfully with the Aegis tube amp (as does the Elites). They scale very well. When I use the Mojo 2 with the AC it's not hard to notice what I'm missing out on compared to the Aegis etc. The Elites perform better with the Mojo 2 I feel but if you need isolation, the AC still do well with the Mojo. Hope this helps a little, if you have any specific questions just pm me 👍🏻

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2023 at 8:31 AM Post #1,310 of 2,414
Top and bottom of it, I think the AC work well with the Elites as they do provide contrasting styles and both excel in genres that the other doesn't while both being very good at the genres they don't excel at.
This sums it up perfectly. Thank you for that detailed comparison. It was really helpful! It sounds like they are both really good all-rounders, and I'm not sure if I listen to much music that requires the elevated sub-bass presence of the AC. I don't really ever listen to EDM or electronic music, so maybe I should just stick to the Elite. I have a Mod House Argon that is actually perfect for movie/tv watching when I don't want to disturb anyone in the house, so the AC might be overkill for my needs in the end. Then again, I can't promise I won't cave and buy a particularly beautiful AC if one pops up for sale, especially in Ash!

Nov 28, 2023 at 8:44 AM Post #1,311 of 2,414
This sums it up perfectly. Thank you for that detailed comparison. It was really helpful! It sounds like they are both really good all-rounders, and I'm not sure if I listen to much music that requires the elevated sub-bass presence of the AC. I don't really ever listen to EDM or electronic music, so maybe I should just stick to the Elite. I have a Mod House Argon that is actually perfect for movie/tv watching when I don't want to disturb anyone in the house, so the AC might be overkill for my needs in the end. Then again, I can't promise I won't cave and buy a particularly beautiful AC if one pops up for sale, especially in Ash!

I guess you need to know what you're missing with the Elites. If nothings missing, then the AC would be there to provide a nice alternative with its weightier organic sound. They would certainly make a lovely set of headphones for movies and listening to film scores!

I think next Nov, I'll be keeping an eye open for the Caldera... that is the only other headphone that appeals to me, from any brand. Again, I'd be buy-in on the basis it doesn't have to replace anything, just provide an alternative view to the music I listen to :L3000:

Nov 28, 2023 at 8:49 AM Post #1,312 of 2,414
I guess you need to know what you're missing with the Elites. If nothings missing, then the AC would be there to provide a nice alternative with its weightier organic sound. They would certainly make a lovely set of headphones for movies and listening to film scores!

I think next Nov, I'll be keeping an eye open for the Caldera... that is the only other headphone that appeals to me, from any brand. Again, I'd be buy-in on the basis it doesn't have to replace anything, just provide an alternative view to the music I listen to :L3000:
I'm pretty curious about the Caldera Closed myself. I believe Zach will have one at CanJam NYC.

Nov 28, 2023 at 9:00 AM Post #1,313 of 2,414
I'm pretty curious about the Caldera Closed myself. I believe Zach will have one at CanJam NYC.
Definitely, however... initially the better half thought the AC would be a good idea as it has less sound leakage... she now complains that when she shouts for me I don't hear... cannot win 🤣

Nov 28, 2023 at 9:54 AM Post #1,314 of 2,414

My orders in the past have always shipped on Wednesday. Maybe coincidence, but maybe Wednesday is shipping day. I at least hope for the mail tomorrow evening my timezone :D

Yeah he wrote that in another post. Can't wait to hear it as well. I didn't want to buy a closed headphone for home usage (getting the Bokeh for work though), but damn I just love my Caldera so much and with more bass they would be perfect. They just handle a lowend shelf so well. I am basically hoping for a Caldera with stronger subbass.

Nov 28, 2023 at 10:46 AM Post #1,316 of 2,414
Do you use the thick pads on your Caldera? Plenty of bass with that to my ears.:thumbsup:
Yes sometimes I like them because they sound a bit wider but I keep returning to the stock pads after a while, they just sound most "correct" to my ears.
To be honest I don't remember really hearing much more bass with the thick pads, maybe I'll check again later.

Nov 28, 2023 at 12:39 PM Post #1,317 of 2,414
Per FedEx, my VC’s are on the way. No delivery date yet. Would like to see that Shipping Dept with all the elves working to get all the orders out correctly.

I also bought a Woo Audio WA2 with upgraded tubes (thanks @MFranzen ). Now I can see/hear what all the hype is about OTL amps.

Christmas will be early for me!

Nov 28, 2023 at 1:18 PM Post #1,318 of 2,414
I
Per FedEx, my VC’s are on the way. No delivery date yet. Would like to see that Shipping Dept with all the elves working to get all the orders out correctly.

I also bought a Woo Audio WA2 with upgraded tubes (thanks @MFranzen ). Now I can see/hear what all the hype is about OTL amps.

Christmas will be early for me!
B stock or stabilized?

Nov 28, 2023 at 1:22 PM Post #1,319 of 2,414

Users who are viewing this thread

Back