ZMF November // 2023 // MEGATHREAD!
Nov 27, 2023 at 2:40 PM Post #1,277 of 2,414
It would help a LOT if the headphones could be auditioned first before buying them. The logistics involved with buying a multi-thousand dollar headphone, discovering there is not synergy with the equipment THAT I OWN, and then having to hassle with returns and losing money on the deal, just make it kind of prohibitive to pull the trigger on an expensive headphone without trying it first. And those YT reviewers can cloud the issue very much because everyone hears different, and they are not using the same dac and amp on top of it all. Someday I -think- I would like to own an Atrium (blackwood or other hardwood) but just not willing to spring for one without hearing it first. My LCD-4z (new style pads, a must) sounds so perfect I just can't get too motivated at this time. AND I use a solid-state amp so not too sure how a dynamic driver is going to sound with this amp, as usually all who review say the dynamic drivers are best suited to tube amps. Maybe someday I just get crazy and order an Atrium without auditioning it first (not likely) but will see...

Nov 27, 2023 at 2:51 PM Post #1,278 of 2,414
It would help a LOT if the headphones could be auditioned first before buying them. The logistics involved with buying a multi-thousand dollar headphone, discovering there is not synergy with the equipment THAT I OWN, and then having to hassle with returns and losing money on the deal, just make it kind of prohibitive to pull the trigger on an expensive headphone without trying it first. And those YT reviewers can cloud the issue very much because everyone hears different, and they are not using the same dac and amp on top of it all. Someday I -think- I would like to own an Atrium (blackwood or other hardwood) but just not willing to spring for one without hearing it first. My LCD-4z (new style pads, a must) sounds so perfect I just can't get too motivated at this time. AND I use a solid-state amp so not too sure how a dynamic driver is going to sound with this amp, as usually all who review say the dynamic drivers are best suited to tube amps. Maybe someday I just get crazy and order an Atrium without auditioning it first (not likely) but will see...
Many people utilize the used market for exactly this reason. You can pick up most models for decent prices if you keep an eye out and if you decide you don't like them, or you do but you want a fancy version - you aren't out a ton of money by selling them on again.

Nov 27, 2023 at 2:53 PM Post #1,279 of 2,414
When in doubt I buy used, and often can resell at break even or take a slight loss, which I chalk up to rental fee :)

I hear you, it's scary, especially if it's a brand/house sound you're unfamiliar with. Another option is hit up any meets/shows you can. And reach out to Zach to see if any review units are circulating in your area.

Nov 27, 2023 at 2:57 PM Post #1,280 of 2,414
Another option is hit up any meets/shows you can.
This was going to be my suggestion. I was able to try a bunch of ZMF stuff at CanJam SoCal this year. Zach and his team brought a bunch of different headphones and source gear so people could try a bunch of different combinations. Plus, you have the option of buying headphones at the shows if they have something you like.

Nov 27, 2023 at 3:05 PM Post #1,281 of 2,414
Living in deep south Texas, there are never any meets anywhere close that I am aware of so that option is not too viable. Probably have to keep looking in classifieds to try and find one someday. Otherwise I just keep reading threads like this one and on SBAF to get real users and their gear thoughts etc to get impressions of how they might work in my setup. If someone out there could listen to Ash on their Atrium, preferably if having a good solid-state amp, and relay thoughts I would appreciate it. I listen to this multi-instrumental type music for many hours each day while trading and would really like to hear thoughts on this. Ash is just mega-talented, unbelievable how good this sounds on my current gear. Getting the LiM has been a life-changer for sure.

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2023 at 3:36 PM Post #1,282 of 2,414
I am examining this for the non-ltd ZMF headphones, some minor things will be changing next year as we move towards having a custom shop, and part of that will be making stock models easier to hear without too much of a fee. Likely what will happen is a longer demo period with a slightly lesser fee for stock models. Probably something along the lines of 5% and 30 days etc. Right now it's 10% and 14 days. But I am constantly trying to make this easier for our ZMF because I know it can be hard to hear them for some.

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Nov 27, 2023 at 3:38 PM Post #1,283 of 2,414
This was going to be my suggestion. I was able to try a bunch of ZMF stuff at CanJam SoCal this year. Zach and his team brought a bunch of different headphones and source gear so people could try a bunch of different combinations. Plus, you have the option of buying headphones at the shows if they have something you like.
i 100% agree. I myself just entered the world of audiophile. Went down the rabbit hole late summer and 100% agree with your concerns. I had the same. I had a long list of headphones that sound great on paper, we'll never know until we try it 1st hand. I went to socal camjam,1st time with a list of items and was able to try them out. Other brands apart from ZMF. I initially thought I would love the atrium open but ultimately after testing everything out it was the Caldera/ AC for me.

I do believe Dallas camjam just passed but def worth the wait till next year.

If you search on the use market every so often you'll see a great deal I've seen Atrium sell for 1.5-1.8k range also. Could always re-sell like others suggest.

Nov 27, 2023 at 4:27 PM Post #1,285 of 2,414
Man I'm sad I missed out on this. My favorite colors and by far the best headphone I've ever seen.

1701120435544.png

Nov 27, 2023 at 5:25 PM Post #1,286 of 2,414
Very valid point. I know in my case I probably don’t pull the trigger on an atrium if I didn’t have a chance to hear them at last years axpona event. I was able to spend a lot of time with them and was convinced enough to pursue, but I agree it’s a touch choice with many of these multi thousand headphones to purchase blind.

Nov 27, 2023 at 5:47 PM Post #1,287 of 2,414
I find it hard to believe anyone would actually send a ZMF headphone back. Who are these people? Why are they allowed to walk among us freely? They are obviously disturbed individuals.
Well maybe because they discover they do not play well with the dac and amp they currently own? That synergy with what you have is a really big deal... on top of the fact that everyone's hearing is different from everyone else's. Things like that. Also for example, my LiM at first sounded a bit clinical for lack of a better word, but right at about the 400 hour mark I started my trading day, started listening to something, and went "Whoa what just happened? This sounds like my personal concert venue!!! " Freaking incredible. So even break-in of components can be a factor, I really discounted that at first but now I am a believer. It may be hundreds of hours before a headphone or whatever might shine the way the designer / builder designed it to work. A headphone COULD be returned before it is really functioning to top potential.

Nov 27, 2023 at 5:50 PM Post #1,288 of 2,414
I bought the AC blind… but, I did have a clear picture in my mind as to what I wanted from the AC. I wanted a closed back with great sub bass but not lacking in treble and would be excellent with EDM, electronic and acoustic. Anything else was a bonus.

I read so many actual user reviews / feedback to be able to build up a picture that suggested the AC would tick many if not all the boxes. The more reviews read based on different systems the better. Still a bit of a gamble but I just took my time (several months) before reducing the list to one headphone… the AC.

I was keeping my Elites so this was expanding options so I didn’t have to worry about that. As it turns out, I’ve been more than happy… love it for everything I wanted it for and more!

I don’t have many options to demo any gear never mind headphones so in the end, research and not rushing into a decision is key for me!

Edit. One thing I’d like to point out. With the Aegis + VEGA G2.2 the AC sounds more like a good open back in terms of air, space and 3d imaging. I don’t even think of it as a closed back at all.

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2023 at 6:01 PM Post #1,289 of 2,414
I find it hard to believe anyone would actually send a ZMF headphone back. Who are these people? Why are they allowed to walk among us freely? They are obviously disturbed individuals.
Lurking on the classified here and hifizero @commtrd hifizero to my understanding post classified ads from various forums.

folks are audiophile enthusiast who are curious in dabbling in everything.

most common reasons. Purchased new LTD and breaking even, testing wood type, or A/B testing to figure like AC vs VC.

It is an expensive hobby.

The craziest one was an atrium for 1.3k, 1.1 and caldera 2.5 a week prior to zmf November .

Nov 27, 2023 at 6:03 PM Post #1,290 of 2,414
Does anyone else have their ZMF order as well as this thread open on all of their devices so they can hit refresh every hour? #obsessed
Yes, and also re-watching every youtube review of Caldera that I can find. :wink:

Btw, @zach915m I wondered today who names all the special stabilized sets? Is there someone whose job it is to come up with a thematically appropriate name or do you just come up with them on the fly as you create/post them?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back