ZMF November // 2023 // MEGATHREAD!
Nov 27, 2023 at 6:07 PM Post #1,291 of 2,414
Yes, and also re-watching every youtube review of Caldera that I can find. :wink:

Btw, @zach915m I wondered today who names all the special stabilized sets? Is there someone whose job it is to come up with a thematically appropriate name or do you just come up with them on the fly as you create/post them?
Lol that’s my work playlist review videos I’ve seen for 20th time.

Nov 27, 2023 at 6:07 PM Post #1,292 of 2,414
I haven’t done any pad rolling with the VO yet, just suede Uni so far. That’s my favorite pad with the Aeolus After I get them broken in a little I plan on trying a few others I have. I don’t see much about hybrid pads. Are those lamb with a suede face? So they probably sound closer to lamb than suede?
Suede on VO is warmer, but with smoothed transients. Uni lambskin is sharper with crisper dynamics. The thin pads are brighter & narrower - I really never understood why anyone would choose them, but I guess everyone's ears/preferences are a little different. The BE2 pads never did anything for me - they seem like a "middle of the road" option and I'm more of a "all or nothing" kind of guy.

Nov 27, 2023 at 6:14 PM Post #1,293 of 2,414
ZMF haul came in today. And I’m so impressed. B stock salire is practically impeccable. There was a deep cut on the bottom of the stand (where you can’t see) but beyond that it is immaculate. Really amazing value, beyond that I got some Caldera Ultra perf for the Atrium, and Universe lamb and Universe hybrid solids for the Verite closed.

There is some b stock magic but the majority are practically blemished free. I said it before, but I’m so impressed at what becomes A verses B for ZMF. A really high quality bar.

Thanks Zach for making headphones I refuse to remove from my head :)

image.jpg

Nov 27, 2023 at 6:15 PM Post #1,294 of 2,414
It would help a LOT if the headphones could be auditioned first before buying them. The logistics involved with buying a multi-thousand dollar headphone, discovering there is not synergy with the equipment THAT I OWN, and then having to hassle with returns and losing money on the deal, just make it kind of prohibitive to pull the trigger on an expensive headphone without trying it first. And those YT reviewers can cloud the issue very much because everyone hears different, and they are not using the same dac and amp on top of it all. Someday I -think- I would like to own an Atrium (blackwood or other hardwood) but just not willing to spring for one without hearing it first. My LCD-4z (new style pads, a must) sounds so perfect I just can't get too motivated at this time. AND I use a solid-state amp so not too sure how a dynamic driver is going to sound with this amp, as usually all who review say the dynamic drivers are best suited to tube amps. Maybe someday I just get crazy and order an Atrium without auditioning it first (not likely) but will see...
I feel you, but you have to realize that despite its wild success, ZMF is a small business in a very competitive field/market and even offering returns has a serious impact on their financial viability, much less a "demo" program. If you can make it to any canjam or audio show, ZMF is likely to be either in attendance or featured by brands that are. And lately the resale price of ZMFs has been quite low - bad for owners, but good for someone who wants to "test the water" before going all-in with a Ltd Edition purchase etc.

Nov 27, 2023 at 6:18 PM Post #1,295 of 2,414
HeadphonesCollection.jpg
ZMFAtmosCable.jpg

My ZMF November Haul + My LCD-2 for pics. Wanted to get a quick picture in before the sun set but I could have done better with the framing and posing.

ZMF Atticus Stabilized "Arkouda"

Audeze LCD-2 Rosewood

ZMF Salire with what I think is Macassar Ebony on a Purpleheart base

ZMF Atmos B-Stock cable.

I'll have to post impressions + comparisons between the LCD-2 and the Atticus another time, maybe with better pictures too.

Nov 27, 2023 at 6:20 PM Post #1,296 of 2,414
HeadphonesCollection.jpgZMFAtmosCable.jpg

My ZMF November Haul + My LCD-2 for pics. Wanted to get a quick picture in before the sun set but I could have done better with the framing and posing.

ZMF Atticus Stabilized "Arkouda"

Audeze LCD-2 Rosewood

ZMF Salire with what I think is Macassar Ebony on a Purpleheart base

ZMF Atmos B-Stock cable.

I'll have to post impressions + comparisons between the LCD-2 and the Atticus another time, maybe with better pictures too.
Cool shots, congrats and thanks for sharing!

Nov 27, 2023 at 6:51 PM Post #1,297 of 2,414
I bought the AC blind… but, I did have a clear picture in my mind as to what I wanted from the AC. I wanted a closed back with great sub bass but not lacking in treble and would be excellent with EDM, electronic and acoustic. Anything else was a bonus.

I read so many actual user reviews / feedback to be able to build up a picture that suggested the AC would tick many if not all the boxes. The more reviews read based on different systems the better. Still a bit of a gamble but I just took my time (several months) before reducing the list to one headphone… the AC.

I was keeping my Elites so this was expanding options so I didn’t have to worry about that. As it turns out, I’ve been more than happy… love it for everything I wanted it for and more!

I don’t have many options to demo any gear never mind headphones so in the end, research and not rushing into a decision is key for me!

Edit. One thing I’d like to point out. With the Aegis + VEGA G2.2 the AC sounds more like a good open back in terms of air, space and 3d imaging. I don’t even think of it as a closed back at all.
Just noticed you have the exact combo of headphones I’m considering. I already have and love an Elite, and I’ve been thinking an Ash Atrium Closed would be a perfect complement to my Elite. I have a beautiful Ash OG Auteur, but it gets almost no head time at this point. I think a really good closed-back makes more sense as an alternative.

Are you pretty satisfied with this combo of headphones? If I could get a natural Ash AC that looks as nice as my Auteur, I think I might be able to finally let go of the Auteur. Right now it’s just eye candy for me while I listen to the Elite 99% of the time.

Nov 27, 2023 at 7:59 PM Post #1,298 of 2,414
Just noticed you have the exact combo of headphones I’m considering. I already have and love an Elite, and I’ve been thinking an Ash Atrium Closed would be a perfect complement to my Elite. I have a beautiful Ash OG Auteur, but it gets almost no head time at this point. I think a really good closed-back makes more sense as an alternative.

Are you pretty satisfied with this combo of headphones? If I could get a natural Ash AC that looks as nice as my Auteur, I think I might be able to finally let go of the Auteur. Right now it’s just eye candy for me while I listen to the Elite 99% of the time.
AC is pretty good. I have all three sets, Elite, Auteur, and Atrium closed. Between the 3 I listen to the AC the most. Auteur second. Elite last.

My reason is that the ZMF sets sound more organic. Absolutely nothing wrong with the Elite, it's an excellent headphone that I don't have any real complaints about. Just personal taste.

Nov 27, 2023 at 9:11 PM Post #1,299 of 2,414
AC is pretty good. I have all three sets, Elite, Auteur, and Atrium closed. Between the 3 I listen to the AC the most. Auteur second. Elite last.

My reason is that the ZMF sets sound more organic. Absolutely nothing wrong with the Elite, it's an excellent headphone that I don't have any real complaints about. Just personal taste.
Are listening to the AC the most of all, or just amongst those three? I guess I’m asking if the AC is your current favorite. I see you have lots and lots of headphones to choose from, so I’d be interested to see how they rank in regard to listening time.

I’ve tried/owned quite a few ZMFs, but I haven’t heard the Atticus, Eikon, Verite Open or Atrium Closed. The AC is the only one I’m actively considering at the moment.

Nov 27, 2023 at 9:56 PM Post #1,300 of 2,414
Are listening to the AC the most of all, or just amongst those three? I guess I’m asking if the AC is your current favorite. I see you have lots and lots of headphones to choose from, so I’d be interested to see how they rank in regard to listening time.

I’ve tried/owned quite a few ZMFs, but I haven’t heard the Atticus, Eikon, Verite Open or Atrium Closed. The AC is the only one I’m actively considering at the moment.
It goes back and forth between the Caldera and AC of you are talking about largest percentage of time on head. But I do listen to others.

If I had to rank them in terms of time:

Caldera/AC
Auteur
Verite open
Verite closed/Atrium open
Atticus
Aeolus

They are all good, it's just my personal taste.

Nov 27, 2023 at 9:59 PM Post #1,301 of 2,414
Who else is excited to receive their orders?

😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁

Nov 27, 2023 at 10:10 PM Post #1,302 of 2,414
Nov 27, 2023 at 10:25 PM Post #1,303 of 2,414
Nov 27, 2023 at 10:45 PM Post #1,304 of 2,414
Nov 28, 2023 at 1:38 AM Post #1,305 of 2,414
If I had to rank them in terms of time:

Caldera/AC
Auteur
Verite open
Verite closed/Atrium open
Atticus
Aeolus
Haha good list!

Mine these days for most listening time goes:

Atrium Open/AC
Verite Open
Caldera
Auteur
Verite Closed
Atticus
Aeolus
Eikon

It isn't completely based on preference as I prefer the VC over the VO and the Caldera over both of them for example. But some are like I find the Auteur classic to be mostly an Atrium Lite. Which I just end up listening to the AO more due to it being similar sound but better (to me). In some ways I prefer the Auteur og over classic because it was a bit more unique especially with its more intimate female vocals. That said I do really like the Auteur classic and I really enjoy them for everyday use. They are great for gaming too.

I am rather interested in the Homage but the lack of a 6.3mm output is a confusing choice to me. Especially since the output is single ended and not balanced.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back