ZMF November // 2023 // MEGATHREAD!
Nov 25, 2023 at 9:24 AM Post #1,186 of 2,414
Does it have any pressure ? I don't know how to explain it, but with Audeze, its almost like your under water, having pressure build up. That's my only scare with planars, which could be totally wrong and it only happens with Audeze.
No. It also doesn't have the chalkyness and thinness, or lack of punch and slam, other planars can have. If you didn't know it was a planar, you wouldn't be able to figure it out just by listening. I have generally not liked planars in the past, so I didn't expect I would like the Caldera, but eventually I couldn't resist, so I bought one. It sounds and feels like a punchy, super-detailed dynamic driver headphone. I highly recommend it.

Nov 25, 2023 at 9:29 AM Post #1,187 of 2,414
I own an ironwood Verite and am here to tell you you will NOT be disappointed. The richness of the ironwood is mesmerizing. A bit heavy, but gorgeous (get the co-pilot pad, it helps a lot with comfort). And something about a 700 year old tree in the desert that had to fall over before it could become your headphone is very romantic.
Agreed. I bought an ironwood VO and loved it so much that I bought an ironwood VC.

Nov 25, 2023 at 10:34 AM Post #1,188 of 2,414
Nov 25, 2023 at 11:54 AM Post #1,189 of 2,414
Decided to buy the Homage amp. I'll start working on a review when I get it. I also have the schitt mjolnir 3, sony ta-zh1es, and a jds labs element 3 that I think would be good amps to compare this one to.

Nov 25, 2023 at 12:14 PM Post #1,190 of 2,414
Decided to buy the Homage amp. I'll start working on a review when I get it. I also have the schitt mjolnir 3, sony ta-zh1es, and a jds labs element 3 that I think would be good amps to compare this one to.
Ordered the Homage yesterday too. Not sure if I was able to get one of the pre-built ones since it was showing less than 8 left when I put it through. I like the vintage console style and I'm thinking it'll sound nice with the Caldera and other planars I own. After it arrives I'll follow-up with some impressions on how it pairs with my DACs and compare it to a Vio V222.

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2023 at 12:16 PM Post #1,191 of 2,414
If I didn't already have the MJ3 I would probably pick up Homage as well. Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on how they compare!

Nov 25, 2023 at 12:33 PM Post #1,193 of 2,414
I also ordered a Homage yesterday (shipped already!), so let us know how it sounds once you get it! I have a Mjolnir 3 on preorder (11/30), so if you get your Homage before then and you think it's better than the MJ3, I might just cancel my preorder. I wasn't intending on buying two amps of the same price bracket, but the Homage was just calling to me!

I decided to sit out on the stabilized run yesterday, because none of the AC's this round were specifically calling my name. So I figured I might as well spend that budget on the Homage instead. But then, this B-stock olivewood AC has been persistently sitting in the corner of my mind since 11/17...

AtriumClosed_BStock_Shopify28_1024x1024@2x.jpg

(I didn't join in on the Ltd run because I didn't want to gamble – I hate the black smudgy spots of some olivewood, and I'm pretty picky about the figuring. This #254 meets all my preferences, though!)

My late-night excuse: Stabilized + Resin AC ($3200) = Olivewood ($2200) + Homage ($1000). If I was willing to spend that on the resin set, I might as well spend the same amount on the amp + olivewood. Well, what can I say? Zach makes way too cool of products!

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2023 at 12:51 PM Post #1,194 of 2,414
Once the wife has forgiven me I would love to try the Atrium Open, Verite Open and Caldera before the next time there is a stabilised drop..
…. The scales ⚖️ are:
1. for you, Janka wood hardness rating;
2. for her, carat, clarity, colour, cut … 🤷🏻‍♂️🤣

Nov 25, 2023 at 1:05 PM Post #1,195 of 2,414
My late-night excuse became: Stabilized + Resin AC ($3200) = Olivewood ($2200) + Homage ($1000). If I was willing to spend that on the resin set, I might as well spend the same amount on the amp + olivewood.
I have found that late-night excuses are more easily justified after a ZMF headphone listening session that involved a 🥃… funny how that works. 😂

That said, I approve of your reasoning! Also when you consider that the Homage’s strengths will benefit all headphones you own, it makes even more sense. 👍👍

Nov 25, 2023 at 2:14 PM Post #1,197 of 2,414
I also ordered a Homage yesterday (shipped already!), so let us know how it sounds once you get it! I have a Mjolnir 3 on preorder (11/30), so if you get your Homage before then and you think it's better than the MJ3, I might just cancel my preorder. I wasn't intending on buying two amps of the same price bracket, but the Homage was just calling to me!

I decided to sit out on the stabilized run yesterday, because none of the AC's this round were specifically calling my name. So I figured I might as well spend that budget on the Homage instead. But then, this B-stock olivewood AC has been persistently sitting in the corner of my mind since 11/17...

AtriumClosed_BStock_Shopify28_1024x1024@2x.jpg

(I didn't join in on the Ltd run because I didn't want to gamble – I hate the black smudgy spots of some olivewood, and I'm pretty picky about the figuring. This #254 meets all my preferences, though!)

My late-night excuse: Stabilized + Resin AC ($3200) = Olivewood ($2200) + Homage ($1000). If I was willing to spend that on the resin set, I might as well spend the same amount on the amp + olivewood. Well, what can I say? Zach makes way too cool of products!
I doubt I'll get it before 11/30. From zachs comments on the amp, it seems it will be pretty different from the mjolnir 3 in terms of sound and presentation. Also the Homage seems friendlier to iems than the mjolnir 3. The mjolnir 3 does come with a pre amp section and is class A if that's of any interest to you.

Nov 25, 2023 at 2:32 PM Post #1,198 of 2,414
I doubt I'll get it before 11/30. From zachs comments on the amp, it seems it will be pretty different from the mjolnir 3 in terms of sound and presentation. Also the Homage seems friendlier to iems than the mjolnir 3. The mjolnir 3 does come with a pre amp section and is class A if that's of any interest to you.
I typically don't use IEMs at my desk. I usually use them with a FiiO M11s DAP or Qudelix 5k if I'm on the go, or a iFi Hip if I'm more stationary. But I'm still interested in how the Homage does sound with them, so I guess I will try that out!

As you mentioned, it'll also be interesting to feed the Homage directly from DACs, and then compare that to how it'll sound through the MJ3's preamp out. Could be neat... maybe?

Although if I am to keep both amps, I suppose a great reshuffling of my desk is in order :sweat_smile:... My WFH + gaming desk (63") has 4 laptops, 3 desktops, 4 monitors, 2 DACs, and soon-to-be 2~3 HPAs. I'll definitely need to reduce/clean this mess up to make room haha! At least the footprint of the Homage is pretty small, thankfully.

Nov 25, 2023 at 2:50 PM Post #1,199 of 2,414
Ordered the Homage yesterday too. Not sure if I was able to get one of the pre-built ones since it was showing less than 8 left when I put it through. I like the vintage console style and I'm thinking it'll sound nice with the Caldera and other planars I own. After it arrives I'll follow-up with some impressions on how it pairs with my DACs and compare it to a Vio V222.
Would be quite interested in hearing how the homage stacks up against the V222.

Nov 25, 2023 at 2:59 PM Post #1,200 of 2,414
I tried out the MJ3 and the Homage at CanJam earlier this month. The Homage is waaayyyyyy better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back