ZMF November // 2023 // MEGATHREAD!
Nov 25, 2023 at 3:03 PM Post #1,201 of 2,414
Curious how it performs against some totl gear like Bliss that basically destroyed my appreciation of most amps sub 6k catergory.

Nov 25, 2023 at 3:05 PM Post #1,202 of 2,414
I tried out the MJ3 and the Homage at CanJam earlier this month. The Homage is waaayyyyyy better.
Could you comment on how it was better than MJ3? I'm very tempted to pick up the Homage, but can't decide if it is worth it since I already own the MJ3.

Nov 25, 2023 at 3:29 PM Post #1,203 of 2,414
Could you comment on how it was better than MJ3? I'm very tempted to pick up the Homage, but can't decide if it is worth it since I already own the MJ3.
Honestly I didn't like anything at all about the MJ3. And it was hooked up to a Yiggy MIB DAC, so it couldn't have been the DAC's fault. Schiit's house sound is grungy, and I really like grungy, but the MJ3 was faaarrrrrr too grungy. Less Soundgarden and more an industrial car grinder. I felt it was too harsh, lifeless and electronic. It was almost like a proof-of-concept, where they hadn't yet ironed out the rough edges, but just wanted to get it out there to see how people liked it. I also don't know why it runs so hot. I have a Holo Bliss, which is also class A, and it doesn't get anywhere near as hot, and it doesn't even have vents like the MJ3. The Homage in contrast was fully developed and thought out, with no remaining rough edges unresolved. And it looks far nicer. It sounded like what you would want an amp at that price point to sound like. I could see the MJ3 as maybe going well with the right kind of music and headphones, while the Homage I think can do just about any kind of music and headphone well. I think the Homage would actually go well with an MJ3, since the MJ3 is more harsh and industrial, while the Homage's ability to run at high impedence causes it to be smooth and tubey when you want it to be.

What do you think about the MJ3?

Nov 25, 2023 at 3:34 PM Post #1,204 of 2,414
Curious how it performs against some totl gear like Bliss that basically destroyed my appreciation of most amps sub 6k catergory.
One thing about the Homage compared to the Bliss is that the Homage does high impedance better than the Bliss, even though the Bliss is far more expensive. I think the high impedance setting on the Bliss for the XLR jack is only about 15 ohm, while I think for the Homage it is at least three times that. I don't find the high impedance setting too useful on the Bliss since it is such a small change. I find it more useful to run a tube pre when I want that effect.

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2023 at 3:35 PM Post #1,205 of 2,414
Honestly I didn't like anything at all about the MJ3. And it was hooked up to a Yiggy MIB DAC, so it couldn't have been the DAC's fault. Schiit's house sound is grungy, and I really like grungy, but the MJ3 was faaarrrrrr too grungy. Less Soundgarden and more an industrial car grinder. I felt it was too harsh, lifeless and electronic. It was almost like a proof-of-concept, where they hadn't yet ironed out the rough edges, but just wanted to get it out there to see how people liked it. I also don't know why it runs so hot. I have a Holo Bliss, which is also class A, and it doesn't get anywhere near as hot, and it doesn't even have vents like the MJ3. The Homage in contrast was fully developed and thought out, with no remaining rough edges unresolved. And it looks far nicer. It sounded like what you would want an amp at that price point to sound like. I could see the MJ3 as maybe going well with the right kind of music and headphones, while the Homage I think can do just about any kind of music and headphone well. I think the Homage would actually go well with an MJ3, since the MJ3 is more harsh and industrial, while the Homage's ability to run at high impedence causes it to be smooth and tubey when you want it to be.

What do you think about the MJ3?
Thanks for your thoughts on it! I actually love my MJ3, it is my favorite amp with my ZMFs, even more so than my Folkvangr. Its got a nice warm sound and to my ears sounds pretty similar to the Folkvangr. I run mine in Class A mode, without feedback. I don't have the vocabulary to adequately describe how it sounds, but I would call it "holographic" when paired with my ZMFs. As you noted, it gets very hot.

Nov 25, 2023 at 3:38 PM Post #1,206 of 2,414
Thanks for your thoughts on it! I actually love my MJ3, it is my favorite amp with my ZMFs, even more so than my Folkvangr. Its got a nice warm sound and to my ears sounds pretty similar to the Folkvangr. I run mine in Class A mode, without feedback. I don't have the vocabulary to adequately describe how it sounds, but I would call it "holographic" when paired with my ZMFs. As you noted, it gets very hot.
That is interesting. I have heard that a lot of people like it. I'm not sure why my experience with it was so bad.

Nov 25, 2023 at 4:11 PM Post #1,207 of 2,414
One thing about the Homage compared to the Bliss is that the Homage does high impedance better than the Bliss, even though the Bliss is far more expensive. I think the high impedance setting on the Bliss for the XLR jack is only about 15 ohm, while I think for the Homage it is at least three times that. I don't find the high impedance setting too useful on the Bliss since it is such a small change. I find it more useful to run a tube pre when I want that effect.

Running of XLR jack never felt I missed something on the Bliss with high impedance setting compared to high impedance of lets say my ha-3a or burson soloist to be honest. It sounds damn full with AC and VO, continiusly being lush and detailed. And when it comes to VO there def a big difference to low imp setting, it becomes warmer and smoother sounding.
Curious, what effect exactly are you talking about?

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2023 at 4:16 PM Post #1,208 of 2,414
I am very happy and lucky I was able to score Banff :heart_eyes: Can't wait to see it in real life.
My heartbeat was definitely audible during the buying process - lots of adrenaline involved xD
I will of course post some photos here as soon it arrives.
You are the envy of MANY today. :wink: Please do share pics when they arrive!

Nov 25, 2023 at 4:19 PM Post #1,209 of 2,414
Running of XLR jack never felt I missed something on the Bliss with high impedance setting compared to high impedance of lets say my ha-3a or burson soloist to be honest. It sounds damn full with AC and VO, continiusly being lush and detailed. And when it comes to VO there def a big difference to low imp setting.
What effect exactly are you talking about?
I mean when I go from low Z to high Z on the Bliss, the change is good but very subtle. This was the only complaint GoldenSound made about the high Z mode on the Bliss: the increase in impedance is fairly modest. It probably has something to do with the fact that the higher the impedance is on the Bliss, the less power that is available. I notice a bigger difference using my Feliks Elise as a preamp on the Bliss, which is why I usually do that rather than use high Z when I want an increase in tubeyness. Although using the Feliks Elise as a preamp AND doing high Z actually gives the best tubey effect. The Homage in contrast has a more noticble change when you turn on high Z.

Nov 25, 2023 at 4:25 PM Post #1,210 of 2,414
I mean when I go from low Z to high Z on the Bliss, the change is good but very subtle. This was the only complaint GoldenSound made about the high Z mode on the Bliss: the increase in impedance is fairly modest. It probably has something to do with the fact that the higher the impedance is on the Bliss, the less power that is available. I notice a bigger difference using my Feliks Elise as a preamp on the Bliss, which is why I usually do that rather than use high Z when I want an increase in tubeyness. Although using the Feliks Elise as a preamp AND doing high Z actually gives the best tubey effect. The Homage in contrast has a more noticble change when you turn on high Z.
Ah now I get it thanks for elaborating. Yeah the jump is less noticeable than on ha-3a and soloist for me too. They still sound inferior though with high gain vs bliss high gain. What I wonder about is, how the Homage performs vs Bliss, detail, depth, stage and the usual bleh.

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2023 at 4:36 PM Post #1,211 of 2,414
Ah now I get it thanks for elaborating. Yeah the jump is less noticeable than on ha-3a and soloist for me too. They still dont sound better thoigh with high gain vs bliss high gain. What I wonder about is, how the Homage performs vs Bliss, detail, depth, stage and the usual bleh.
Nothing is going to sound better than a Bliss lol. From what I remember, I would say the Bliss vs Homage performance difference is what you would expect, given the price difference. The Bliss is 3 times the price. It is definitely not 3 times better, because you have some serious diminishing returns once you get to this price level. But the detail, depth, stage, etc, on the Bliss is all better. But given the price difference, the comparison isn't really fair. No one is going to be deciding between either a Bliss or Homage for their only solid state amp. Different price points and different use cases. What really blows me away is not Bliss vs Homage, but Bliss vs Ferrum stack vs Homage. I used to have a Ferrum stack, and at CanJam went back and forth between a Bliss/May and a Ferrum stack (Oor/Hypsos/Wandla). The difference blew me away. The reviews all say the Holo stack is just a little better than the Ferrum stack, but in my experience, it is way better. The Ferrum stack was actually a bit boring. I would actually prefer a Homage to a Ferrum Oor/Hypsos because the performance in certain areas is close while in other areas (like soundstage and holographics) the Homage is actually better. And it is way cheaper.

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2023 at 4:39 PM Post #1,212 of 2,414
Nothing is going to sound better than a Bliss lol. From what I remember, I would say the Bliss vs Homage performance difference is what you would expect, given the price difference. The Bliss is 3 times the price. It is definitely not 3 times better, because you have some serious diminishing returns once you get to this price level. But the detail, depth, stage, etc, on the Bliss is all better. But given the price difference, the comparison isn't really fair. No one is going to be considering a Bliss or a Homage for their only solid state amp. Different price points and different use cases. What really blows me away is not Bliss vs Homage, but Bliss vs Ferrum stack. I used to have one, and at CanJam went back and forth between a Bliss/May and a Ferrum stack (Oor/Hypsos/Wandla). The difference blew me away. The reviews all say the Holo stack is just a little better than the Ferrum stack, but in my experience, it is way better. The Ferrum stack was actually a bit boring. I would actually prefer a Homage to a Ferrum Oor/Hypsos because the performence in certain areas is close while in other areas (like soundstage and holographics) the Homage is actually better. And it is way cheaper.
I just love the design of Homage, guess I am looking for a miracle and an excuse to get it hahaa
Maybe some day for the second office setup.

And yep, can second that, Ferrum is nowhere close to my ear.

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2023 at 4:40 PM Post #1,213 of 2,414
I just love the design of Homage, guess I am looking for a miracle and an excuse to get hahaa
Maybe some day for the second office setup.

And yep, can second that, Ferrum is nowhere close to my ear.
Yes. One of the only things I dislike about the Bliss/Spring setup I have is the Bliss has two XLR in options, while the Spring has only one XLR out option. Why???? If it was the reverse, I could get a second balanced amp, like a Homage, and use that along with the Bliss. Oh well.

Nov 25, 2023 at 4:42 PM Post #1,214 of 2,414
Is the consensus that the Cen.Grand Silver Fox and DSDAC stack would be the next step up from the Holo stack, or is there not really a consensus about which is better?

Nov 25, 2023 at 4:46 PM Post #1,215 of 2,414
Is the consensus that the Cen.Grand Silver Fox and DSDAC stack would be the next step up from the Holo stack, or is there not really a consensus about which is better?
Apart of the just great technicalities, to me its the slightly warmishly tubey lush presentation of Bliss that sets it apart from most solid state amps. The next thing that I would consider a step up is Feliks Envy with all the super expensive tube rolling madness

Lets get back to the topic, we are derailing the thread a bit ;D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back