ZMF HD6xx+ and Beyer+ Sub Pads - Now available!
Feb 8, 2022 at 12:27 AM Post #76 of 146
Hey @zach915m, do your 6xx+ pads contain memory foam?
It's easy to view memory foam as a desirable trait, but in my tests and measurements while doing R/D I've found the opposite, it almost always it means there's an obscene amount of gel in the foam that over dampens, over isolates, darkens treble and just ruins sound, but it does cause the foam to rebound very slowly.

We use a special foam that has medium to slow rebound properties yet doesn't have the more closed cell structure of most visco foams that will ruin sound, we combine this with a secondary foam in each different densities to get the sound I'm after for each headphone.

Last edited:
ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Feb 9, 2022 at 4:59 AM Post #77 of 146
The Beyer pads on the Grado are greado!

One suggestion (I doubt this would even work) but the light weight of the Grado doesn't work as well with the foam as the Auteur (too light). Can you swap a foam with a little more give where it contacts the ear? Or naked foam on the surface touching the cheek? It works as is, but it hangs on the head and top of the ears more than it clips on. Bending the headband is a 90% fix.

Also, just curious, would an oval adapter work with the Sennheiser pad?

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2022 at 4:39 PM Post #79 of 146
I received the Beyer perforated lambskin pads today, and I have to say I like what they do to my Grado Hemps! With the stock pads my Hemps have decent tuning but are a bit shouty, almost like the headphone is throwing the sound at me. I've used the G-Cush style pads, and that makes the Hemps less shouty but a tad brighter than I'd like. The ZMF Beyer pad is the sweet spot for me - it makes things less shouty and more natural sounding, but retains a little more warmth than the G-Cush style pads. They're also really comfortable, and I think they look awesome!

Attachments

• PXL_20220209_200817209.jpg
    PXL_20220209_200817209.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20220209_200801950.jpg
    PXL_20220209_200801950.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
Feb 9, 2022 at 7:26 PM Post #81 of 146
I received the Beyer perforated lambskin pads today, and I have to say I like what they do to my Grado Hemps! With the stock pads my Hemps have decent tuning but are a bit shouty, almost like the headphone is throwing the sound at me. I've used the G-Cush style pads, and that makes the Hemps less shouty but a tad brighter than I'd like. The ZMF Beyer pad is the sweet spot for me - it makes things less shouty and more natural sounding, but retains a little more warmth than the G-Cush style pads. They're also really comfortable, and I think they look awesome!
PXL_20220210_002210900.jpg

GH 1.

Feb 9, 2022 at 9:03 PM Post #82 of 146
I got my ZMF Beyer pads + Grado adapter in this week. I've tried them on all three of my Grados (GS1000i, SR325 (OG) and my Hemps). I want to confirm the following 2 things:

• The adapter worked just fine on all three models
  • All 3 Grados have never felt so damn comfy (legit - 8-10 hour sessions on all 3)
With regard to how the pads mede the Grados sound... well, I will say that the SR325 it was a clear improvement. Warmed things up a bit and didn't kill the very open sound the SR325 have. As for the GS1000i and the Hemps -- I will say I prefer the sounds I get from the G cushions for the GS1000i and the S Yaxi cushion for the Hemps -- but the sound profile/quality is not by any means bad with the ZMF pads.. also, still very early and I have not done a ton of analytical listening -- more of an early impression.

But I'm really digging these pads. I'm a big Grado and ZMF fan (I own a VO, and have owned an Atticus and Aeolus) -- so I was very excited when I heard about these pads dropping.

Easy rec. If you got a set of Grados - you should give these a shot.

IMG_8354.jpeg
IMG_8353.jpeg
IMG_8342.jpeg

Feb 9, 2022 at 9:05 PM Post #83 of 146
Leave it to Zach to find a way to make Grado and Beyerdynamic sound listenable. I think he deserves an award for this achievement. I have never been able to take the upper mids and treble from those brands.
Ha - I love Beyers and Grados - T1.2 is one of my favorite cans with a nice tube amp. But Zach making pads for these cans is more than welcome.

Feb 9, 2022 at 9:05 PM Post #84 of 146
I got my ZMF Beyer pads + Grado adapter in this week. I've tried them on all three of my Grados (GS1000i, SR325 (OG) and my Hemps). I want to confirm the following 2 things:

• The adapter worked just fine on all three models
  • All 3 Grados have never felt so damn comfy (legit - 8-10 hour sessions on all 3)
With regard to how the pads mede the Grados sound... well, I will say that the SR325 it was a clear improvement. Warmed things up a bit and didn't kill the very open sound the SR325 have. As for the GS1000i and the Hemps -- I will say I prefer the sounds I get from the G cushions for the GS1000i and the S Yaxi cushion for the Hemps -- but the sound profile/quality is not by any means bad with the ZMF pads.. also, still very early and I have not done a ton of analytical listening -- more of an early impression.

But I'm really digging these pads. I'm a big Grado and ZMF fan (I own a VO, and have owned an Atticus and Aeolus) -- so I was very excited when I heard about these pads dropping.

Easy rec. If you got a set of Grados - you should give these a shot.

IMG_8354.jpegIMG_8353.jpegIMG_8342.jpeg
What kind of headband is that on the Hemp? It looks awesome!

Feb 14, 2022 at 11:52 AM Post #89 of 146
I currently have some Beyer pads on my AKG M220. I wonder if these would fit on the AKGs... It is a real tight fit to get the stock Beyer pads on the AKGs. Anyone who bought the Beyer pads also have an M220 or K240 laying around?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back