ZMF HD6xx+ and Beyer+ Sub Pads - Now available!
May 6, 2022 at 12:57 PM Post #108 of 146
@zach915m

Zach did you happen to test the difference between your solid and perf pad on the DT880? I'm seeing a number of mentions that the solid pad isn't recommended on the open headphones because of the massive bass boost likely being much more than a person would want. However, with the DT880 being only a semi-open design perhaps the result would be a bit more middle of the road? A lot of people like to add a bass shelf to this headphone via EQ to help keep it from sounding thin and maybe the solid leather pad would basically accomplish the same thing without the needing to use an EQ?

Sep 6, 2022 at 11:44 PM Post #109 of 146
Has anyone tried the latest iteration for the Focal headphones like the Utopia? It uses the same 101 mm perforated lambskin pads but with a new adapter with a price of only $79.

I just ordered a set today.

Sep 18, 2022 at 12:16 PM Post #113 of 146
Be aware that the Suede pads are warmer than the stock velour 6XX pads. If like me, you're sensitive to heat, then you might want to try a different material pad.

Sep 30, 2022 at 10:23 PM Post #114 of 146
Just received my suede pads for my HD6XX. I am so disappointed.........in myself for not ordering these sooner. I have not listened to them yet, but the build quality is really nice. Now for some Santana's greatest hits to evaluate the sound. I am certain they will be great.

Sep 30, 2022 at 10:42 PM Post #115 of 146
Got the Beyer perf. lambskin for my dt990-600. Improved the soundquality compared to stock imo. Made the 990 more linear less v-shaped with no negative side effects. Cleaned up the base and tamed the high highs.
Also got the Senn 6xx perf. suede and perf. lambskin. for my hd600/650. Very comfortable, but they did not improve the soundquality imo. Stock pads are the way to go for me on the Sennheisers.

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2022 at 10:51 PM Post #116 of 146
Just received my suede pads for my HD6XX. I am so disappointed.........in myself for not ordering these sooner. I have not listened to them yet, but the build quality is really nice. Now for some Santana's greatest hits to evaluate the sound. I am certain they will be great.
I think you'll be very pleased with how they sound.

Oct 1, 2022 at 1:21 PM Post #117 of 146
They will be. And very comfortable too!

Oct 4, 2022 at 7:47 PM Post #118 of 146
I think you'll be very pleased with how they sound.

They will be. And very comfortable too!
After a couple days (maybe 2-3 hours) of listening, I can say that these are a winner. I am a little curious about the perforated lambskin (my usual material preference) so I may try those too. In short: They do not detract in any way from the fundamental qualities that make the HD6XX legendary and add a touch of air/presence/clarity to the upper mids/lower treble. More importantly the soundstage is a touch wider, taller, deeper and much more cohesive. No more "three blob" or hard left, hard right and center with no blending. I have the HD560S here for direct comparison and I would say the soundstage is now better on my HD6XX. The icing on the cake is the much higher quality appearance, feel and likely longer life span of these pads. Great job @zach915m and team! These are the first aftermarket Sennheiser earpads that I have tried that don't ruin the sound.
4A5D4F1F-DF05-45C4-9840-80A14922F042.jpeg

Oct 25, 2022 at 10:54 AM Post #120 of 146
For my understanding, these pads make the HD6XX a tiny bit V-shape than stock pads???
From my own experience with the suede pads and from the graphs posted in this thread and elsewhere, they (suede and perforated lambskin) produce a sound very close to the stock pads, frequency response wise. Except for the solid lambskin which, from the measurements, seem to make the sound very bass emphasized, if not necessarily 'V' shaped.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back