ZMF Caldera - New Planar Magnetic from ZMF!
Dec 21, 2023 at 1:38 PM Post #6,016 of 7,093
I was able to find the imperfection but it doesn't really bother me given it's out of the way. one slot is asymmetric as if it was loaded into the machinery incorrectly.

edit: I posted this for other people so that they know what B stock can be. For some this might be too much or for others very negligible (you cant really see it because its hidden by the cup holding mechanism)

PXL_20231221_183607897.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2023 at 4:23 PM Post #6,017 of 7,093

Attachments

• _DSC2458.jpg
    _DSC2458.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • DSC00210.jpg
    DSC00210.jpg
    972.1 KB · Views: 0
ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Dec 21, 2023 at 6:20 PM Post #6,018 of 7,093
I apologize if this has been asked before, but do you find the Caldera to be a good match with the Stellaris? I’ve been thinking about either the Caldera or the closed version once it comes out.
I do, Caldera works beautifully with Stellaris. Using the 4-pin XLR jack I can get it to about 4 on the volume dial; sound is amazing - full impactful bass, extended shining treble, and that gorgeous "backlit" effect 2A3 tubes do SO WELL (and DNA does better than anyone!).

*That said, I do not currently have even a mid-fi (much less a summit-fi) solid state amp to plug it in to to compare, so please do not take my impressions with Stellaris to imply any judgement of Caldera with tubes vs solid state. I plan to pick up a Holo Bliss or similar in the next few months and will report back once I have both on hand to compare.

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2023 at 6:27 PM Post #6,019 of 7,093
I do, Caldera works beautifully with Stellaris. Using the 4-pin XLR jack I can get it to about 4 on the volume dial; sound is amazing - full impactful bass, extended shining treble, and that gorgeous "backlit" effect 2A3 tubes do SO WELL (and DNA does better than anyone!).

*That said, I do not currently have even a mid-fi (much less a summit-fi) solid state amp to plug it in to to compare, so please do not take my impressions with Stellaris to imply any judgement of Caldera with tubes vs solid state. I plan to pick up a Holo Bliss or similar in the next few months and will report back once I have both on hand to compare.
Don’t overlook the Mjolnir 3. It pairs excellently with the Caldera in my opinion. It will also save you a bunch of $$$ vs the Bliss.

Dec 21, 2023 at 6:39 PM Post #6,020 of 7,093
Don’t overlook the Mjolnir 3. It pairs excellently with the Caldera in my opinion. It will also save you a bunch of $$$ vs the Bliss.
Yeah, I am well-acquainted with Schiit gear and really like their house sound, but I suspect I will land on Bliss if only because it was purpose-built to pair with May. Still doing my 'due diligence' though, so I appreciate the advice! :)

Dec 21, 2023 at 6:41 PM Post #6,021 of 7,093
Yeah, I am well-acquainted with Schiit gear and really like their house sound, but I suspect I will land on Bliss if only because it was purpose-built to pair with May. Still doing my 'due diligence' though, so I appreciate the advice! :)
Can’t argue with keeping things matched up. My Yggy A2 looks mighty nice with its matching Mjolnir 3.

Dec 21, 2023 at 6:49 PM Post #6,022 of 7,093
Can’t argue with keeping things matched up. My Yggy A2 looks mighty nice with its matching Mjolnir 3.
What I don't have in my signature is that I still have a Lyr 3 & Valhalla 2, and I had a Bifrost 2 until I replaced it with May. So the value prop of Schiit is not at all lost on me. PLUS, I still hold that Verite + Valhalla 2 is a wildly underappreciated synergy.

Dec 21, 2023 at 8:21 PM Post #6,023 of 7,093
I finally got around to applying the Harmonization EQ in Roon and did a blinded listen to Doubts by Stephan Jolk and Agnes Obel (thank you to my wife who paused the track changed the roon setting or kept it the same without telling me, and then unpaused the track; listened to about 10-15 seconds so this was not very short and my wife was a great sport about it). For fun I also tried to guess what setting I was using EQ or no EQ.

Right off the bat, I found the bass boost very unenjoyable and uncontrolled. It also was very easily recognized and so not truly blinded (100% could identify it was bass boosted).

So I tried lowering it to:

1703203521517.png

Ultimately I did not even like that and ended up just doing the upper mid and upper tuning adjustments

1703203625813.png

With the above EQ I picked the EQd version about 14/20 times blinded for the same track (about 20 10-15 second runs). My ability to correctly guess was not as high as the bass EQ but I think better than random (80-90%). Going back and listening unblinded I think the mid/high boost adds a sense of fullness. I did not appreciate it as a huge dramatic benefit but it was somewhat reliable.

I tried again with Fuel to Fire with Agnes Obel. I used the no bass adjusted version for this song. Overall I preferred the EQ version the same amount of times (15/20) as above except one particular part of the song the EQ added a harshness which may be true to the song though is a little unpleasant. Specifically at 4:52-53 if anyone is curious to listen.

All in all though I think the non bass boosted EQ was better though I did not feel in my very small test that it was a night a day difference. I personally enjoyed both, but I cant imagine the EQ dramatically changing a listeners feeling towards these headphones.

TLDR:

If you prefer Harman without the bass boost then these might sound very good to you even without EQ. The other deviations were game changers though improvements. I overall enjoyed the sound signature with and without EQ.

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2023 at 8:47 PM Post #6,024 of 7,093

Thanks. That all makes perfect sense. I’ve got a Benchmark HPA4 that I can always use with the Caldera, but I really love the Stellaris and go with it almost every time I listen to headphones.

Dec 21, 2023 at 10:47 PM Post #6,025 of 7,093

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2023 at 10:49 PM Post #6,026 of 7,093
Hey guys!

I have a request.
Can the buyers of these Calderas show some pictures? (I know they may be on production)
I'm interested in how they look IRL. They are just gorgeous!

unseelie.png
BANFF.png
I will post pictures of the Unseelie once it arrives :)

Dec 22, 2023 at 5:31 AM Post #6,028 of 7,093
uhh @zach915m what are you doing to me and my wallet. Pulled the trigger for Bokeh and now for Caldera (B) Kingwood / Alum / Coffee Gold 🙈
It starts with 1 and then suddenly you got enough to rebuild the whole tree :sunglasses:

Dec 22, 2023 at 8:53 AM Post #6,030 of 7,093
Sorry to bring this topic back, but I didn't have the chance to speak out before given some stressed end of year for me and I felt there were some missing points in the discussion I wanted to share, ....so yes, it's about the Caldera review at ASR.

To me, there is not a perfect place to get information/feedback about the audio gears you are interested, that's why I have learned to use different sources that won some trusting on me and learnt what are the strong/weak points of each source and ASR is not the exception.

To me, ASR is a very valuable source of information, Amir's lab tests are excellent, because of their accuracy and because the type of tests, which give you an objective picture of a device. There is no other site like that. I find it very valuable for example to double check the specs published by manufactures, to spot broken designs and oil snake products and under which conditions your devices can work avoiding distortions. I think is very good for us, the costumers, that exists a place like ASR, it pushes companies to deliver better products.

But here is what I think is the problem with ASR, and not with the essence of the site, "scientific reviews", but with the rhetoric of Amir tries to impose, that his graph translate directly to what people want/like to listen, the better the graph, the better the people are going to like it, and that's a misconception. I am completely sure there are many of his tops rated devices people don't like. In my case for example I had in loan for a week his highly praised Topping A90 headphone amp and to me is one of the most boring amps I ever tried, too analytical and dry!. Also, the other way around, many highly praised product by costumers that were bad rated by ASR. So the graphs matter, nobody want distortions, but his graphs cannot interpret our human nature of diversity. Sorry @amir but it's hard to take you seriously when you say "the Caldera sounds boring without EQ....". The Caldera got the "Best Headphone – Orthodynamic" prize by Headfonia and one of the highest rated headphones EVER by Headphonics and both tested the Caldera without EQ. Underestimating the importance of the subjective listening and the taste of people is the path to the dark side of the force!!.

Also Amir graphs cannot show other very important aspects of headphones to take decisions, like soundstage, layering, decays, slam, etc. These should be IHMO included in any subjective listening, specially if you are going to draw conclusions to recommend a product using also subjective listening. While I find Amir's methodic for labs tests superb, his subjective listening leave a lot to desire. First, he should start with the subjective listening, spending some good time with the headphones (which seems he doesn't) and ONLY then going to the lab tests, otherwise your subjective listening will be completely compromised and biased (the placebo effect that Amir himself talks about). Second, for Amir all headphones should align to the Harman curve. "If that would be really the case", he should at least provide some decent settings for EQ, with the same level of accuracy as his lab tests, or simple pointing to AutoEQ project where they have accurate settings, otherwise you are not reaching the Harman target anyway.

These are Amir's EQ parameters for the Caldera: With these, to me, the Caldera sounds bloated in the bass and too shouty. To me it only destroys the nice tuning created by Zach, that we all know spend like zillions of hrs locked down in his lab so that you like it.

1703248730470.png

And these are some more accurate settings from the AutoEQ project for the Caldera with stock pads. Please notice the difference around 200 HZ and the relative gain and coverage of the 3 peaks.. This is really the Caldera tuned Harman!

1703248995477.png

With these settings I liked the Caldera, but no more that Zach's tuning. To me with Zach's tuning (compared Harman) the Caldera sounds a bit more mid-centric (nice for acoustic genders) and also more relaxed, nothing stands out, which I find is nice for long listening sessions. With Harman EQ (compared house tuning) the Caldera becomes more forward and more dynamic. The bass get a big boost but only at the more deep bass content that is only found on some music genders that call for it, like EDM, OST, but not for the majority of other genders, so for the last the difference is only subtle. Which one you like more is I think a matter of taste or your mood.

And at last, Amir's rhetoric that that all industry should align to the Harman target because of the famous scientist study and that everything else cannot be recommended :face_palm: (sorry I could not find a better facepalm emoticon). Again, you are completely underestimating our human nature of diversity. We all have different tastes, hearing capabilities or want to try different tastes. That's why many of us own several headphones or like tube rolling's. I could ran a different statistical study on international food and probably will find that a great percentage of the people will choice Italian or Chinese food. Following Amir's logic, then all restaurants should align to that and any other restaurant like Indian or Japanese should not be recommend. Of course it's always interesting to know what human prefer most, it could be a good guideline, but let us to decide what we like/want more.

Look at the Verite Closed for example, one of my favorites ZMFs and highly appreciated by our community. It sounds amazing with vocals and acoustic genders, specially for its unique cup reverberation when notes fade away slowly, is to die for, and guess what, it's far away from Harman tuning. In fact trying to EQ the VC like Harman will make it sound completely odd. So @amir, how would you explain that?

no_harman.PNG
alien_tech.PNG

Jokes apart. I think Amir, you should stick on your labs graph and objective results (where the Caldera shinned), that's where you are probably the best at, very appreciated work! but stay away from subjective territory, where others do a better job and where I think is driving you to wrong conclusions, take in mind many people is listening to you!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back