ZMF Caldera - New Planar Magnetic from ZMF!
Dec 10, 2023 at 10:05 AM Post #5,896 of 7,609
This is something that brings my curiosity up. Amp pairing for the caldera. Obviously this is super subjetive.
But, to put it in context, and considering I have a Flux Fa-12, and a Feliks audio echo otl tube amps.
I have listened to topping a90 and it was a bit too boring.. I don't know. I am more into tubes or class A type of amps. But I don't have much experience and I would love to know for which amps do people with Caldera's believe they are the ultimate match. Both tube and SS.

By the way I am using a Denafrips Pontus II DAC and an IRIS DDC.
I know some people has posted their reviews and their experiences, but going back from page 1 and noting each of them seems a bit overwhelming.

Edit: Perhaps I could do a web scrapping to see how many amps appear in the entire threat and which amps are listed. But I don't think I have the knowledge to make this smart enough to see how people rate the amp marching.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2023 at 10:25 AM Post #5,897 of 7,609
This is something that brings my curiosity up. Amp pairing for the caldera. Obviously this is super subjetive.
But, to put it in context, and considering I have a Flux Fa-12, and a Feliks audio echo otl tube amps.
I have listened to topping a90 and it was a bit too boring.. I don't know. I am more into tubes or class A type of amps. But I don't have much experience and I would love to know for which amps do people with Caldera's believe they are the ultimate match. Both tube and SS.

I know some people has posted their reviews and their experiences, but going back from page 1 and noting each of them seems a bit overwhelming.

Edit: Perhaps I could do a web scrapping to see how many amps appear in the entire threat and which amps are listed. But I don't think I have the knowledge to make this smart enough to see how people rate the amp marching.

Thanks!
I havent tried that many amps with Caldera, but my fav. are Holo Bliss and the much more expensive Feliks Envy. Not sure there is a really good budget true tube amp option for Caldera, wasnt very happy with Ha-3a no matter the tube roll, especially next to Bliss. Hybrid-wise, a rather affordable and a very nice sounding amp is Liquid Platinum imho.

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2023 at 10:34 AM Post #5,898 of 7,609
I havent tried that many amps with Caldera, but my fav. are Holo Bliss and the much more expensive Feliks Envy. Not sure there is a really good budget true tube amp option for Caldera, wasnt very happy with Ha-3a no matter the tube roll. Hybrid-wise, a rather affordable and very nice sounding amp is Liquid Platinum imho.
The Woo WA8 sounds amazing with the Atrium, VC and my planars (minus Susvara), and I suspect it'd sound just as good with the Caldera. I should be getting my Caldera in soon - I'll try it on the amp and report back.

Dec 10, 2023 at 11:57 AM Post #5,899 of 7,609

Thanks!
From all of what I've tried, Solid State: Cen Grand Silver Fox, For Tube: Feliks Envy. My playlist usually consist of Vocal Jazz, Country, Pop, New Ages and Instrument.

Dec 10, 2023 at 2:27 PM Post #5,900 of 7,609
It's here! :darthsmile: :volcano:

20231210_134642.jpg

Dec 10, 2023 at 10:02 PM Post #5,901 of 7,609

Thanks!
Budget?

Dec 11, 2023 at 5:34 AM Post #5,902 of 7,609
Well. I always try to keep "the chain" as cohesive possible money wise. But I am a bit lost.
Currently pontus ii DAC 1800$, Iris DDC 700$, flux fa-12 amp 750$, Audeze LCD-X and soon the Caldera's (waiting them to arrive). I guess next upgrade is amp. I've been reading many people saying that more than 1000€ for an amp is overpaying. I differ but not entirely sure. I would go 2k if it really make a difference and sense in my chain. I mean, in order I wouldn't have to check for new DAC.
Thanks 🍺

Dec 11, 2023 at 5:42 AM Post #5,903 of 7,609
Well. I always try to keep "the chain" as cohesive possible money wise. But I am a bit lost.
Currently pontus ii DAC 1800$, Iris DDC 700$, flux fa-12 amp 750$, Audeze LCD-X and soon the Caldera's (waiting them to arrive). I guess next upgrade is amp. I've been reading many people saying that more than 1000€ for an amp is overpaying. I differ but not entirely sure. I would go 2k if it really make a difference and sense in my chain. I mean, in order I wouldn't have to check for new DAC.
Thanks 🍺

I really like the Ferrum Orr+Hypsos combo which I think is 2k new and probably 1.5 or so used (iirc). Very small footprint, very dynamic and energetic presentation. Always feel like they pinch above their head, in a good way. Would be good match for both your headphones I think.

Dec 11, 2023 at 10:39 AM Post #5,905 of 7,609
Dec 11, 2023 at 10:41 AM Post #5,906 of 7,609
Apologies if I’ve asked this in the past - show do they compare in terms of bass slam/impact?

Dec 11, 2023 at 11:16 AM Post #5,907 of 7,609
Apologies if I’ve asked this in the past - show do they compare in terms of bass slam/impact?

Bass quality on the Caldera is better, both more resolved and more physical.

The Caldera are better across the board. I do enjoy the LCD-4 for their smooth and relaxed presentation; important to pair them with a bright/airy/fast amp or chain as they can otherwise be dark. The Caldera are well balanced and work well off any chain.

Dec 11, 2023 at 12:51 PM Post #5,908 of 7,609
Not to beat a dead horse, the whole Headphone measurement curve thing... I was just listening to a recent Darko podcast and this came up in an interview with a chap who seems quite a reliable source of speculation... the whole interview is great, but this particular segment starts at 1:46:50.

Dec 11, 2023 at 1:46 PM Post #5,909 of 7,609
Looking back on the whole ASR review, there really isn’t much difference between the Caldera and any other headphone he reviews over there. The main problem is he claims the Caldera has errors. If he were just to say this is where the deviations from the Harman curve exist and here is my suggested EQ setting to change it, that would be fine. He even states that very low distortion and changing EQ on the Caldera doesn’t cause any issues. When Zach tried to explain how his setting were actually intentional with years in the making, they sort of lost their minds.

For me personally, after extended listen with the Harman curve, I feel fatigued. And this is what happened when I owned the Expanse. When I was feeling sick, I didn’t even want to listen. I wasn’t feeling that great the other day and when listening to the Caldera with the Harman curve, I had to stop. Once back in stock setting, I was fine. Not sure why I’m so sensitive. The Utopia was aggressive but never had issues. When I did try Harman curve on that headphone, I just didn’t like that sound. Never tried long enough to see if caused any strain.

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2023 at 1:52 PM Post #5,910 of 7,609
Not to beat a dead horse, the whole Headphone measurement curve thing... I was just listening to a recent Darko podcast and this came up in an interview with a chap who seems quite a reliable source of speculation... the whole interview is great, but this particular segment starts at 1:46:50.

I'm a fan of John Darko, even though I'm not really into speakers, etc... I know he doesn't do a lot of headphone reviews, but I always though he'd love the ZMF lineup with his personal tastes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back