ZMF Caldera - New Planar Magnetic from ZMF!
Aug 29, 2023 at 7:47 AM Post #5,056 of 7,502
Thanks I appreciate the response. I don’t like bringing up eq because I’m sure it’s more of a me thing than most ppl have issues with. Every time I bring up what I like it seems like other people are the opposite.
No problem, glad I could maybe help. I'm here to ask questions and give feedback, so if I have personal experience to share I'm going to do that. I think it's a dumb topic to oppose so strongly that someone would have an issue with reading about it, and I'm tired of the same old arguments against it that I've seen everywhere else forever. That's why I talk openly about the obvious things like hearing loss (how many people get their hearing tested regularly?) and personal preference, and also the more mysterious things like anatomy. It's just plain logic, nobody can ever tell me that I hear the same gear the same way that they do, so why shouldn't I try to make all of the adjustments that I can to help me make it sound the way that's right for me?

Aug 29, 2023 at 3:56 PM Post #5,057 of 7,502
I miss one notification and BAM I'm 40 pages behind 😂 Finally caught up! Caldera has been my one-and-only headphone nearly all year. I'd love to add an Atrium Closed someday, but I'm in no rush. This just does everything so well for me.

My listening time is usually at night when my wife goes to bed so my listening sessions come in spurts and usually don't last long, but in a way that's a blessing. This headphone impresses me over and over again. I've been on a Bob Dylan and Adrianne Lenker kick this last week, and damn these just present music so naturally while throwing all of this detail in my face and keeping me engulfed in a wonderful bubble of sound.

I met up with a couple old friends from school over the weekend and brought my Caldera and CA1000T along. Awesome times listening to music we used to jam to and showing each other new stuff. The Caldera blew their minds. One of them showed me the track "Poison" by Slumberjack, and an effect at 3:10 blew my mind in particular. We all got a kick out of it. Does anyone else have song recommendations with really cool mixing or effects that are extra fun with a good set of headphones?

Aug 29, 2023 at 6:41 PM Post #5,059 of 7,502
Hi all, I would appreciate some input here…because I’m a little confused with my results. I have my Caldera and I adore it with my Hugo 2 and Sp3000. Just wow!! I recently bought a Dave, mscaler and Holo bliss and Enleum 23r amps. I love this setup and it amazes my Utopia, Susvara. Beyond the Hugo 2 and sp3000 with Utopia and Susvara of course. But with Caldera the presentation sounds soft and bass not as crisp. It’s warmer. Hugo 2 and sp3000 Caldera is flawless and so clean. Could anyone comment on this? Have you experienced similar? I won’t why the Hugo 2 sounds crisper with it… thank you so much!

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2023 at 7:28 PM Post #5,060 of 7,502
Hi all, I would appreciate some input here…because I’m a little confused with my results. I have my Caldera and I adore it with my Hugo 2 and Sp3000. Just wow!! I recently bought a Dave, mscaler and Holo bliss and Enleum 23r amps. I love this setup and it amazes my Utopia, Susvara. Beyond the Hugo 2 and sp3000 with Utopia and Susvara of course. But with Caldera the presentation sounds soft and bass not as crisp. It’s warmer. Hugo 2 and sp3000 Caldera is flawless and so clean. Could anyone comment on this? Have you experienced similar? I won’t why the Hugo 2 sounds crisper with it… thank you so much!
What other variables are present? Are you using the same

source
power outlet
power cables
USB cables
RCA or XLR cables

All of these things can contribute to changes in how we perceive sound. The only way to pinpoint the issue is to limit the variables as much as possible.

Aug 29, 2023 at 7:30 PM Post #5,061 of 7,502
What other variables are present? Are you using the same

source
power outlet
power cables
USB cables
RCA or XLR cables

All of these things can contribute to changes in how we perceive sound. The only way to pinpoint the issue is to limit the variables as much as possible.
Using all pure silver cables, Audioquest dragons, and Niagara 7000 power with sean Jacobs PSUs for mscaler and Dave. Source is aurender n30sa

So hard to compare that to all in one unit like Hugo 2… fed from iPhone silver USB diamond cable. Or sp3000 even.

thank you!

Aug 29, 2023 at 7:36 PM Post #5,062 of 7,502
Using all pure silver cables, Audioquest dragons, and Niagara 7000 power with sean Jacobs PSUs for mscaler and Dave. Source is aurender n30sa

So hard to compare that to all in one unit like Hugo 2… fed from iPhone silver USB diamond cable. Or sp3000 even.

thank you!
You have very nice gear from top to bottom. It's my understanding(could be wrong) that you can use a separate amp with the Hugo? Have you tried the Enleum as an amp being fed by the Hugo?

Aug 29, 2023 at 7:50 PM Post #5,063 of 7,502
You have very nice gear from top to bottom. It's my understanding(could be wrong) that you can use a separate amp with the Hugo? Have you tried the Enleum as an amp being fed by the Hugo?
Great idea!! I’ll be able to check it this way. Eliminate what causing the warmth / lack of precise bass

Yes, I invested a lot lately. I’m curious what’s the best pairing you seen with caldera?

Aug 29, 2023 at 9:47 PM Post #5,064 of 7,502
Great idea!! I’ll be able to check it this way. Eliminate what causing the warmth / lack of precise bass

Yes, I invested a lot lately. I’m curious what’s the best pairing you seen with caldera?
Yeah, I mean you have pretty much TOTL stuff from the hardware all the way down to cables, but often times system synergy can be hard to find initially, regardless of expense.
Personally I prefer all planar headphones that I've heard via solid state amping. I really enjoy my amp and DAC combo, and speaking on system synergy, I sold a more expensive DAC in favor of a 'lesser' DAC simply because I preferred it in my chain/ears than the more costly DAC.

I'm sure most Caldera owners can honestly say that their combo is fantastic, but at the end of the day it boils down to what you prefer.

I haven't heard the Enleum, but at one time I did consider it prior to buying the Violectric v550. From what I've read about the Enleum+Dave+M Scaler it would seem to me that that chain would bombard you with detail, power and precision.
Why it's sounding soft and warm could be for any of a number reasons, a cable not firmly seated to crosstalk from overlapping cables... I mean we can speculate for hours, but the best way to find a flaw is to go thru and try different configurations until the culprit is outed.

Aug 29, 2023 at 9:59 PM Post #5,065 of 7,502
Yeah, I mean you have pretty much TOTL stuff from the hardware all the way down to cables, but often times system synergy can be hard to find initially, regardless of expense.
Personally I prefer all planar headphones that I've heard via solid state amping. I really enjoy my amp and DAC combo, and speaking on system synergy, I sold a more expensive DAC in favor of a 'lesser' DAC simply because I preferred it in my chain/ears than the more costly DAC.

I'm sure most Caldera owners can honestly say that their combo is fantastic, but at the end of the day it boils down to what you prefer.

I haven't heard the Enleum, but at one time I did consider it prior to buying the Violectric v550. From what I've read about the Enleum+Dave+M Scaler it would seem to me that that chain would bombard you with detail, power and precision.
Why it's sounding soft and warm could be for any of a number reasons, a cable not firmly seated to crosstalk from overlapping cables... I mean we can speculate for hours, but the best way to find a flaw is to go thru and try different configurations until the culprit is outed.
thank you so much!! really appreciate it :)

Aug 31, 2023 at 9:40 PM Post #5,066 of 7,502

Have you tried to drive Caldera directly from Dave? Enleum, while being a clean sounding amp, has warmer tone compared to Dave's headphone out.

Sep 1, 2023 at 7:26 AM Post #5,068 of 7,502
I did thanks!! But beet result i have is from Hugo 2 more than Dave… for the bright clarity and clean bass impact
This is interesting since I found the Hugo 2 the worst combo with the original Utopia. Either shows how different the Utopia actually is or how different our tastes our. But it could be that the Caldera leans warm with stock pads and the Hugo 2 is a very analytical dac/amp and the two balanced themselves out for your taste.

With the Dave/mscaler I had to keep the HF filter on just to keep it thick/warm enough for my taste with the Utopia. But the stock Dave is fuller sounding than the Hugo 2 and not as bright. The mscaler takes a hint of that fullness away for more clarity. So make sure the HF filter is off for your taste to see if that helps. I’m actually surprised the Hugo 2 and Dave have enough power for the Caldera. That’s good to know.

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2023 at 12:16 PM Post #5,069 of 7,502
This is interesting since I found the Hugo 2 the worst combo with the original Utopia. Either shows how different the Utopia actually is or how different our tastes our. But it could be that the Caldera leans warm with stock pads and the Hugo 2 is a very analytical dac/amp and the two balanced themselves out for your taste.

With the Dave/mscaler I had to keep the HF filter on just to keep it thick/warm enough for my taste with the Utopia. But the stock Dave is fuller sounding than the Hugo 2 and not as bright. The mscaler takes a hint of that fullness away for more clarity. So make sure the HF filter is off for your taste to see if that helps. I’m actually surprised the Hugo 2 and Dave have enough power for the Caldera. That’s good to know.
The OG Utopia is much brighter than the Caldera. I don't think it would pair great with the Hugo 2 either, although the new 2022 model does because it's not bright at all.

I haven't tried the Caldera directly from Dave but imagine it or the Hugo 2 would be a good match given how the warmth and thicker sounding timbre of the Caldera.

Sep 1, 2023 at 1:29 PM Post #5,070 of 7,502
The OG Utopia is much brighter than the Caldera. I don't think it would pair great with the Hugo 2 either, although the new 2022 model does because it's not bright at all.

I haven't tried the Caldera directly from Dave but imagine it or the Hugo 2 would be a good match given how the warmth and thicker sounding timbre of the Caldera.
That kind of explains why some people don’t like the ‘22 Utopia on the Naim HE, since it fixed the shortcomings of the original to give it more weight and taming the highs. Could also be why I don’t experience any issues with the treble with the Caldera. But the combo does make for a nice thick soup. All about the bass and mids. It’s a fun sound but not for everyone.

I got to hear a much brighter, detailed experience on the Caldera with the latest schitt amp. I really liked what I heard. Nice change from the Naim but not sure if I’d enjoy long listening sessions or not. I still have a Focal Arche dac/amp for a brighter sound but it’s lesser quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back