ZMF Caldera - New Planar Magnetic from ZMF!
Aug 22, 2023 at 9:49 AM Post #4,981 of 7,107
Most definitely true.

Even our head and outer ear shape will effect how we hear. The Universe and Auteur pads, which have completely different dimensions, are a great example of this. When the Atrium Open was released, it was interesting to find out how many users preferred one or the other. Even more fascinating was how different some owners perceived certain aspects from each pad.
I'm new here, I've been reading almost every word posted on the internet about the Caldera since it was announced and I bought mine on release day, but this is my first post in this forum :wave:

I just wanted to chime in on this topic really quick, because it has always been my #1 thought when it comes to variations in personal preferences in audio gear (and even recordings.) I'm absolutely not an expert in this technology, and even less so an expert in anatomy, just a regular guy who likes to think that I use a bit of logic and observation to help form my opinions. And I like a good discussion about things that I want to know more about, because there are always a lot of people around with more knowledge and experience than me.

I don't see much discussion on this, probably because there's simply nothing that can be done about it, my ears are mine and yours are yours, forever, and we just have to deal with it. But I really think that if more people gave this more thought then there would be a lot less debate about which thing is "better" or "worse" and some of the arguments that we love/hate wouldn't need to exist. <Trigger warning :xf_wink: ---> I'm a diehard EQ proponent, and I think that tired old argument (hopefully) would die off if more people acknowledged that it's a 100% necessity simply because of personal anatomy. Maybe there is also a bit of psychology at play, where I don't want to admit that my ears are "flawed" - or perhaps I like to think that my ears are "superior" to most (the old Golden Ear thing) therefore my way certainly must be the right way.

To me, just looking at the outer ear reveals so much potential for variances in perception of sound from person to person, it's almost like a fingerprint, and it's the very place where soundwaves are collected and directed into the head. I can't even imagine the variation that is likely in the shape & dimensions of the ear canal, and it seems obvious that the tiny delicate components of my inner ear can't possibly be even close to yours - and forget about the functionality and efficiency of those parts, that's a different branch of this topic. And what about all those tiny hairs? Surely they must affect the soundwaves passing through them. I hate to admit how many more of them there in my ears since I passed my late 40s into my early 50s... and those hairs aren't so tiny anymore! :rolling_eyes:

Anyway... I don't know if there's a better place to talk about our ears, but it was cool to see my thoughts echoed here. Thanks for listening! :o2smile:

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2023 at 12:32 PM Post #4,982 of 7,107
ZMF says 200 hours for break-in. What would you guys say is the minimum number of hours before the finer qualities of the Caldera become evident? At not even 12 hours, female vocals and vocals in general are really standing out. It's already exceeding my MG Clears in a few ways.
Got my Caldera on April and in my experience 200 hours seems accurate for burn in. Then again I am not sure if it’s brain or driver burn-in.

Aug 22, 2023 at 2:35 PM Post #4,983 of 7,107
ZMF says 200 hours for break-in. What would you guys say is the minimum number of hours before the finer qualities of the Caldera become evident? At not even 12 hours, female vocals and vocals in general are really standing out. It's already exceeding my MG Clears in a few ways.

It’s definitely sufficient for break in. Unlike moving-coil dynamic drivers, including ZMF ones, the changes aren’t as material so getting great sound from the get go isn’t surprising :) but yes, still some benefit for letting this settle a bit, wood cups and all.

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2023 at 5:52 PM Post #4,984 of 7,107
I found the changes to settle after about a day of burn in, maybe 85% there after 24 hours or so (obviously big YMMV there). I think the conversation shifted into high gear with the Verite series releases as @zach915m had said the beryllium drivers need a bit more burn in than most. With the majority of headphones I've had after 50 hours or so I haven't heard anything drastic, but a subtle sonic settling if you will. The VO was the only exception IME. Everyone does hear differently though (as @ycatsmot mentioned and I totally agree) and there is the issue of present brain burn in.

At 12 hours if you hear good stuff, it'll likely only get better from there. Enjoy!

Aug 22, 2023 at 6:13 PM Post #4,985 of 7,107
I found the changes to settle after about a day of burn in, maybe 85% there after 24 hours or so (obviously big YMMV there). I think the conversation shifted into high gear with the Verite series releases as @zach915m had said the beryllium drivers need a bit more burn in than most. With the majority of headphones I've had after 50 hours or so I haven't heard anything drastic, but a subtle sonic settling if you will. The VO was the only exception IME. Everyone does hear differently though (as @ycatsmot mentioned and I totally agree) and there is the issue of present brain burn in.

At 12 hours if you hear good stuff, it'll likely only get better from there. Enjoy!

I’d say for ZMF dynamic drivers this process is more pronounced. For the AC especially, there is real time of actual burn in that is notable and beneficial

Aug 22, 2023 at 6:18 PM Post #4,986 of 7,107
Personally, I think brain burn in will be much more evident for Calderas non-dynamic drivers (I'm not an engineer or headphone designer) than true physical burn in. I've owned two Calderas: a launch oak which I had for a couple weeks at the same time as my current stabilized set. I think the biggest difference in sound between the two was the cup material, the stabilized being a touch "quicker". I don't remember any of the multiple Calderas I heard at CanJam sounding significantly different from what I'm used to.

Aug 23, 2023 at 8:41 AM Post #4,987 of 7,107

I did "burn in" my pair over a weekend with very little listening, just letting them play unattended, so I can't really comment on any changes that I heard. But I took them to work after that (it's where I primarily use them, LOTS of alone time at a desk) and after a couple very full days of listening I had my first and only experience with ear fatigue. I chalk it up to the whole "brain-burn" idea, but I think it was such a new sound for me that my ears were in shock. I actually felt like I needed to take a break and cut back my listening time for a couple days. I quickly went back to nearly all-day listening, most days are likely around 6 hours, but not always music.

Aug 23, 2023 at 8:52 AM Post #4,988 of 7,107
the Naim Atom HE is a surprisingly great match with the Caldera. I believe @iamoneagain is also running this setup. I just moved my Atom back home from the office, and is now next to my bed. such a lovely combination; can't find anything to the sound that I would change. simple clean setup, just one power cord and the hp cable.

20230823_194010-01.jpeg

Aug 23, 2023 at 3:32 PM Post #4,989 of 7,107
the Naim Atom HE is a surprisingly great match with the Caldera. I believe @iamoneagain is also running this setup. I just moved my Atom back home from the office, and is now next to my bed. such a lovely combination; can't find anything to the sound that I would change. simple clean setup, just one power cord and the hp cable.

Yep, I have this setup as well. I’ve swapped out the stock power cord and use ZMF sliver headphone cable. It’s surprisingly a great sounding setup with plenty of impact. I will note that I have not heard the Caldera on any other setup yet. That will change this weekend when attending a local headphone meet. Will also get to hear a few other ZMF headphones along with a few different wood type Calderas. Plus the Meze Elite will be there.

I know the Naim HE gets dinged for being an all in one setup but think a lot of that come from people who haven’t used it. At CanJam I got to try my Expanse I had at the time on a lot of different setups and only thought just a few of the high end tube amps sounded better. There were no solid state amps that made me want to trade out my Naim HE for.

Prior to the Naim HE I owned the Chord Dave/mscaler and while technically better, I didn’t enjoy it as much. This is like how I find the Expanse technically better than the Caldera but like the Caldera more. What both the Caldera and the Naim HE have going for them is PRaT. The pace, timing and rhythm just gets me at an emotional level vs the analytical level. More detail doesn’t necessarily equal more musical enjoyment.

Anyway, after this weekend I’ll see how the Caldera and Naim HE stack up against the competition. If I really like something more, the Naim HE can eventually become my workstation setup and the other the maxed out one.

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2023 at 5:14 PM Post #4,990 of 7,107
Yep, I have this setup as well. I’ve swapped out the stock power cord and use ZMF sliver headphone cable. It’s surprisingly a great sounding setup with plenty of impact. I will note that I have not heard the Caldera on any other setup yet. That will change this weekend when attending a local headphone meet. Will also get to hear a few other ZMF headphones along with a few different wood type Calderas. Plus the Meze Elite will be there.

I know the Naim HE gets dinged for being an all in one setup but think a lot of that come from people who haven’t used it. At CanJam I got to try my Expanse I had at the time on a lot of different setups and only thought just a few of the high end tube amps sounded better. There were no solid state amps that made me want to trade out my Naim HE for.

Prior to the Naim HE I owned the Chord Dave/mscaler and while technically better, I didn’t enjoy it as much. This is like how I find the Expanse technically better than the Caldera but like the Caldera more. What both the Caldera and the Naim HE have going for them is PRaT. The pace, timing and rhythm just gets me at an emotional level vs the analytical level. More detail doesn’t necessarily equal more musical enjoyment.

Anyway, after this weekend I’ll see how the Caldera and Naim HE stack up against the competition. If I really like something more, the Naim HE can eventually become my workstation setup and the other the maxed out one.
No way the Expanse is technically better than the Caldera. It is dynamically a corpse. It has way too little energy at 10 kHz. And it has a literal upper bass hump. I mean, it’s not even a gradual rise. It’s a bump that’s stands out like the red-headed step child. But there’s nothing technical or natural about it.

Aug 23, 2023 at 5:46 PM Post #4,991 of 7,107
No way the Expanse is technically better than the Caldera. It is dynamically a corpse. It has way too little energy at 10 kHz. And it has a literal upper bass hump. I mean, it’s not even a gradual rise. It’s a bump that’s stands out like the red-headed step child. But there’s nothing technical or natural about it.
I’m not here to argue in favor of the Expanse. What I found better was the black background, detail retrieval, and precision. It could be dynamic if bass fell into the bass hump. And some songs that bass hump sounded good and others out of place. The Caldera is more forgiving and fun. But maybe the fun sound is actually more accurate. I’ve sort of now been trained to think if you actually enjoy it, it’s not technical 😜

But the point is, I find the overall experience of the Caldera better than anything I’ve listened to. Possible something else I could like more but I’m not looking for it. Perfectly happy with the Caldera.

Aug 23, 2023 at 5:56 PM Post #4,992 of 7,107
I’m not here to argue in favor of the Expanse. What I found better was the black background, detail retrieval, and precision. It could be dynamic if bass fell into the bass hump. And some songs that bass hump sounded good and others out of place. The Caldera is more forgiving and fun. But maybe the fun sound is actually more accurate. I’ve sort of now been trained to think if you actually enjoy it, it’s not technical 😜

But the point is, I find the overall experience of the Caldera better than anything I’ve listened to. Possible something else I could like more but I’m not looking for it. Perfectly happy with the Caldera.
😂

I’d say the Caldera is technical and enjoyable! I’m also not hating on the Expanse, but it’s clear that Dan took some liberties with the tuning and it’s not even technically as good as the Stealth.

And you’re right! The bass hump can sound good on some songs and awful on others, because it’s such an abrupt tuning. I have no idea why he didn’t elevate the bass more gradually 🤷🏻‍♂️

Aug 23, 2023 at 6:44 PM Post #4,993 of 7,107
+1 I couldnt have said it better myself good sir.

I thought I had hit the jackpot with my caldera + Cayin HA6A combo. It wasnt until I connected the caldera to my Bliss KTE SS, that i realized just how amp dependent this HP really is. I must say although I still enjoy the caldera with tube amps, but its the SS amp that can truly show the real capability of the Zachs planar masterpiece.

For those who've moved on from a Cayin HA6A to a Holo Bliss, I'm curious what were the specific differences are and the magnitude of difference? I'm pretty happy with the HA6A + Caldera combo, but can't help it's missing a bit of slam even with KT88s compared to the SS amps I have.

Aug 23, 2023 at 7:59 PM Post #4,994 of 7,107

I've always been skeptical of planar burn in, but personally for whatever reason I was very comfortable 2 weeks into the Calderas I've owned. But I didn't burn them in all day for those 2 weeks. Just used them on and off, I had the V550 like you and it was a excellent match with the Caldera, sound was highly resolving, yet relaxing and balanced sounding. Great compliment from a powerful neutral/warm SS amp.

The treble peak from the Caldera on day one was magically gone after the second week of listening on and off.

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2023 at 8:19 PM Post #4,995 of 7,107
I've always been skeptical of planar burn in, but personally for whatever reason I was very comfortable with the few Calderas I have owned 2 weeks into them. But I didn't burn them in all day for those 2 weeks. Just used them on and off, I had the V550 like you and it was a excellent match with the Caldera, sound was highly resolving, yet relaxing and balanced sounding. Great compliment from a powerful neutral/warm SS amp.

The treble peak from the Caldera on day one was magically gone after the second week of listening on and off.
Got a good 24 hours of burn-in on them now and they're very enjoyable. I have to say that I really appreciate how the Calderas do with old recordings. Lot's of good resolution and the analog tape hiss isn't as in my face as with the MG Clears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back