ZMF Caldera - New Planar Magnetic from ZMF!
May 10, 2023 at 11:00 AM Post #4,201 of 7,134
Doing some DIY work at the desk after a long day of real life work. Got the daily driver out with a good tube combo.

PXL_20230508_215301402.NIGHT-2.jpg

Man, I dig your work. If you ever release that DIY variant of your design, I may just have to build one.

May 10, 2023 at 2:05 PM Post #4,202 of 7,134
I'm still trying to get a feel of the Caldera sound and see if it match better with a bloomy, wet sounding amp or a more solid state sounding amp with ample current and zippy transient response.
This would become a tricky question. I feel Caldera has nice balance between being fast/transparent/detail and being natural/organic/smooth. Usually my fav pairing is a balance and little warm solid state amp (such as Ferrum Oor/Hypsos or Burson GT) or tube amp that tilt to neutral tone (such as Cayin HA-6A).

Most (if not all) THX based amplifiers I tried are too dry, and produce some glare in treble area for Caldera.

May 10, 2023 at 2:15 PM Post #4,203 of 7,134
Thanks for sharing. A question regarding your amp selection if you don't mind.

I'm considering a getting a pair of Caldera but am worried about the synergy it will have with my setup. I'm using SET amps for my VO and Atrium but do not have great experience running planars off those amp namely due to synergy. I'm still trying to get a feel of the Caldera sound and see if it match better with a bloomy, wet sounding amp or a more solid state sounding amp with ample current and zippy transient response. Did you build your amp with a traditional "tube" sound approach or a more solid state, neutral sound for the Caldera?
Initially I thought it was pretty close to whether I preferred my Pendant SE or V550 Pro. Now that I’ve had some time with them I prefer the Caldera on my V550 Pro. Both are very neutral, slightly warm amps though so you can’t go wrong with either.

May 10, 2023 at 6:35 PM Post #4,204 of 7,134

I'm considering a getting a pair of Caldera but am worried about the synergy it will have with my setup. I'm using SET amps for my VO and Atrium but do not have great experience running planars off those amp namely due to synergy. I'm still trying to get a feel of the Caldera sound and see if it match better with a bloomy, wet sounding amp or a more solid state sounding amp with ample current and zippy transient response. Did you build your amp with a traditional "tube" sound approach or a more solid state, neutral sound for the Caldera?

I would say the amps I make do not have a bloomy, "tubey" sound most people think of. For me a good tube amp has realism and space. This amp in particular has relatively low distortion for a transformer coupled tube amp. It leans more to the clean side of tube amplifier sound, it scores high marks for clarity, airiness, and soundstage for me, but I wouldn't say it sounds solid state, it still have some warmth. I've used both Caldera and Susvara with it, and I would say they pair quite well. @goldwerger may be able to add some insight as he has heard this amp next to others and might be able to say how the Caldera sounds on it vs. a more bloomy or "tubey" sounding amplifier and which is a better match synergistically.

Man, I dig your work. If you ever release that DIY variant of your design, I may just have to build one.

Thanks, it will be released, just takes time to write the instructions, they're about halfway done.

May 10, 2023 at 6:41 PM Post #4,205 of 7,134
May 10, 2023 at 11:20 PM Post #4,206 of 7,134

I would say the amps I make do not have a bloomy, "tubey" sound most people think of. For me a good tube amp has realism and space. This amp in particular has relatively low distortion for a transformer coupled tube amp. It leans more to the clean side of tube amplifier sound, it scores high marks for clarity, airiness, and soundstage for me, but I wouldn't say it sounds solid state, it still have some warmth. I've used both Caldera and Susvara with it, and I would say they pair quite well. @goldwerger may be able to add some insight as he has heard this amp next to others and might be able to say how the Caldera sounds on it vs. a more bloomy or "tubey" sounding amplifier and which is a better match synergistically.

Happy to share some of my experience of @L0rdGwyn 's Aegis and the Caldera, and how it compares to other amps. This requires a much more serious writeup, which I plan to do. I think I have the only Aegis in the wild, the first one L0rdGwyn built, with the other one his own personal amp off which he's now basing his DIY instructions, so I admit I have a mild sense of trepidation of the responsibility I have to encapsulate my impressions carefully as the only way one would demo this amp would be to build it, or visit me..:wink:. So I don't want to throw carefless impressions that will be amplified until I can put them down carefully. But I'll try to give here a straight answer to the question in a quick reply.

I'm right now using 4 amps that are relevant for the Caldera:

Transformer coupled:
  • L0rdGwyn Aegis (2 x Tung-Sol 6SU7GTY gain tubes, 2 x Mullard EL37 output tubes, 1 x Miniwatt GZ34 sittard black base rectifier)
  • Auris Nirvana (1 x Siemens 5814A gain tube, 2 x EL34 XF2 Mullard made Amperex output tubes; ss rectified)
  • Decware "combo" (1) Preamp: Decware/ZMF Reference OTL (1 x 6N1P gain tube, 2 x NEVZ Novosibirsk 6N6P output tubes, 1 x Miniwatt GZ34 sittard brown base rectifier) ►► (2) Amp: Decware Taboo SE84TS+ (1 x Sylvania JHS 5814A gain tube, 2 x Reflektor 6P15P output tubes, 1 x GE 5Y3G rectifier)
Solid state:
  • Dukei CFA3
The Caldera sounds wonderful with all these amps. Truly. But they are quite different in their presentation. So your choice will depend on what you enjoy or value most. Here is how each stands unique for me:
  • Aegis - the most expansive soundstage of all of these amps (and of any amp I can recall, really). If you like the feel of endless space, this amp is for you. It is linear, and has a very clean and natural presentation. I would describe the sound as refined and delicate, coupled with a touch of decay. Think more of a thump than a punch. The sound envelopes and gently carresses you.
  • Nirvana - a bit of a counter to the Aegis, this amp has a sharper attack with faster transients but less decay. It you like your bass crisp and physical, this is your amp. The Nirvana has a narrower soundstage compared to the others, with a better center image. Whereas the Aegis spreads the musics all around you as you relax and sink into it, the Nirvana pushes it crisply at you as it grabs your attention.
  • Decware combo - the most "tuby" presentation. Sweet, lush, organic, and full of reverb and second order harmonics. It is outright addictive. A black forest cake, served with whipped cream, powdered sugar, and a cherry on top. You can't help but devour it, even if it doesn't remotely represent a balanced diet. Balance shmalance.
  • CFA3 - the most resolving, this amp has fantastically fast and clear articulation. It offeres something extra in the higher frequencies which, in turn, offers an excellent and airy soundstage. It is the best SS headphone amp I've heard other than the Zahl. If you like your amps warm, this isn't for you (though it has an excellent bass with gobles of power, but it's crisp rather than thick).
As far as my personal listening preferences, the CFA3 is my go to for the Atrium, where I find that the already lush and oragnic sound of those headphones synergizes perfrectly with the CFA3's fast and clear articuation. But for the Calderas, which are more resolving and aggressive, I prefer the more lush sound of tube amps. I mostly listen to the Calderas on either the Aegis or on the Decware combo. The Aegis offers for me the perfect balance, while the Decware combo lets me overdose on euphonics. When I listen to more bass heavy music, I sometime use the Nirvana for that deep and crisp bass.

TLDR; If you can build the Aegis, or get someone to build it for you, you will get one of the best (and most unique) headphone amps out there!

Last edited:
May 11, 2023 at 6:28 AM Post #4,207 of 7,134
Thanks all for your input. The topic of SET amps with planar has been particular tricky as I found whilst most efficient planar worked fine for me, they definitely sound just that bit better with solid state. Some can benefit from a bit of bloom but often times I find tubey or bloomy sound to sound a bit off with planars. Can't find the right words to describe what I'm hearing but often times an amp that injects the least character to the drivers works best for me with planars.

Most (if not all) THX based amplifiers I tried are too dry, and produce some glare in treble area for Caldera.
That seems to be my experience with THX amps in general. Tried a few when it was all the rage a few years ago but definitely not my cup of tea. If I were to get a SS amp I'd likely try to get my ears on either a 3f or mass kobo amps. Heard they were on Canjam SG but can't make it so maybe next year.

Initially I thought it was pretty close to whether I preferred my Pendant SE or V550 Pro. Now that I’ve had some time with them I prefer the Caldera on my V550 Pro. Both are very neutral, slightly warm amps though so you can’t go wrong with either.
Thanks for sharing your experience. Is there a particular aspect of the V550 sound that you'd prefer over pendant?

I would say the amps I make do not have a bloomy, "tubey" sound most people think of. For me a good tube amp has realism and space. This amp in particular has relatively low distortion for a transformer coupled tube amp. It leans more to the clean side of tube amplifier sound, it scores high marks for clarity, airiness, and soundstage for me, but I wouldn't say it sounds solid state, it still have some warmth
The reason I enjoy tube amps over solid state is due to the way tubes sounds especially with regards to the sense of space and the realism not for the conventional warm tubey sound so to speak. No solid state amps I've heard ever comes close to the staging of a good tube amp. All headphones benefits from a bit of extra realism and space which a great SET have in spades. However not all headphones mesh well with bloomy, lush mids, rounded off transients etc. The amp I have uses 300b. It is likely the driest and one of the more neutral/linear sounding 300b amp out there but it is still a 300b with certain level of tube bloom. Perhaps a better question I should ask is whether the caldera plays nice with tube bloom. So far the answer seem to lean towards an amp with minimal tube bloom and lushness.

Would love to hear your design some day.

Happy to share some of my experience of @L0rdGwyn 's Aegis and the Caldera, and how it compares to other amps.
A very enjoyable read and much appreciate your comparisons with other amps. The Decware combo does seem like too much of an indulgence. The Aegis on the other hand does sound like quite the amp and somewhat reminiscent of my own setup albeit a bit more neutral. Here's hoping the Caldera would work well with my setup. Hopefully I can get a home demo before I splurge on it. Wouldn't wanna bet of a blind buy.

May 11, 2023 at 11:36 AM Post #4,208 of 7,134
The amp I have uses 300b. It is likely the driest and one of the more neutral/linear sounding 300b amp out there but it is still a 300b with certain level of tube bloom. Perhaps a better question I should ask is whether the caldera plays nice with tube bloom. So far the answer seem to lean towards an amp with minimal tube bloom and lushness.
Obviously, it's a subjective question, but my favorite amp for Caldera is my 300B.

May 11, 2023 at 12:55 PM Post #4,209 of 7,134
Thanks all for your input. The topic of SET amps with planar has been particular tricky as I found whilst most efficient planar worked fine for me, they definitely sound just that bit better with solid state. Some can benefit from a bit of bloom but often times I find tubey or bloomy sound to sound a bit off with planars. Can't find the right words to describe what I'm hearing but often times an amp that injects the least character to the drivers works best for me with planars.

Thanks for sharing your experience. Is there a particular aspect of the V550 sound that you'd prefer over pendant?

Perhaps a better question I should ask is whether the caldera plays nice with tube bloom. So far the answer seem to lean towards an amp with minimal tube bloom and lushness.
I too prefer planars out of solid state. I enjoy the speed and precision of planars and tubes tend to hinder those aspects to a certain degree, though that is an entirely personal preference thing and I can see where others might have the opposite opinion.

The v550 will pass through whatever the DAC you have sends it. With my Lampizator TRP DAC, the tube flavor is passed through and the final sound is not too dissimilar from a SET or tube hybrid amp sound.
With the fully solid state Merason DAC1, the increased detail retrieval, dynamics, speed and separation is clearly heard and again, passed through by the v550.

It's been awhile since I had the Aegis, but I recall literally saying out loud, to no one in particular "Oh Wow" the first time I plugged the Caldera into the Aegis. As @goldwerger mentioned above, the Aegis has a massive stage and the presentation was quite different from the v550 or even the Cayin IHA6, which gives the Caldera a more meaty, thicker sound with a more intimate stage.

There is no right or wrong choice between the Aegis, v550 or the IHA6. All sound fantastic with the Caldera, rather it just comes down to personal preferences on how you want the Caldera to sound.

May 11, 2023 at 1:53 PM Post #4,210 of 7,134
  • Aegis - the most expansive soundstage of all of these amps (and of any amp I can recall, really). If you like the feel of endless space, this amp is for you. It is linear, and has a very clean and natural presentation. I would describe the sound as refined and delicate, coupled with a touch of decay. Think more of a thump than a punch. The sound envelopes and gently carresses you.

Damn now you make me really curious about Aegis. If I have to describe the sound of Ultrasonic Oblivion, I think I'll write in exact words like you describe Aegis.

May 11, 2023 at 2:06 PM Post #4,211 of 7,134
Damn now you make me really curious about Aegis. If I have to describe the sound of Ultrasonic Oblivion, I think I'll write in exact words like you describe Aegis.

I guess you’ll have to let us know how they compare once you get it! 😁

May 11, 2023 at 2:22 PM Post #4,212 of 7,134
I too prefer planars out of solid state. I enjoy the speed and precision of planars and tubes tend to hinder those aspects to a certain degree, though that is an entirely personal preference thing and I can see where others might have the opposite opinion.
With all respect, I think, this generalization is not necessarily true these days anymore. Sure, it is personal preference, but I think, headphones and amplifiers today are way too diverse and revoke the somewhat 'old-school' conclusion of planar/solid state versus dynamic driver/tube relations. Correct and well chosen amplifiers can work well in any combination with any headphones, regardless the technology. Imo it is just about the preferred sound of your headphones and amplifier, not necessarily planar/ss vs. dynamic/tube anymore. For example I love the Meze Elite from punchy SS amps like the GSX-Mini or Bryston BHA-1, the speed and bass control is impressive. Yet I prefer the Elite from my HA-3A (with upgrade NOS tube set). With NOS tubes, bass control is not too far off, but the sound is a lot more spacious, staging more lifelike and the whole sound is more natural. Sure, it might just be personal preference, but IMO the 3A with my NOS setup is better even objectively. I have not heard the OOR or Bliss yet, so they might change my mind, but if we make SS and tube compete at the same price range, I think it is always a clear win for tubes (perhaps forget £300 Chinese OTLs here). The only thing one has to watch out for is making sure to use low impedance planars with TC tube amps and keep OTLs for high impedance headphones.

Last edited:
May 11, 2023 at 3:23 PM Post #4,214 of 7,134
With all respect, I think, this generalization is not necessarily true these days anymore. Sure, it is personal preference, but I think, headphones and amplifiers today are way too diverse and revoke the somewhat 'old-school' conclusion of planar/solid state versus dynamic driver/tube relations. Correct and well chosen amplifiers can work well in any combination with any headphones, regardless the technology. Imo it is just about the preferred sound of your headphones and amplifier, not necessarily planar/ss vs. dynamic/tube anymore. For example I love the Meze Elite from punchy SS amps like the GSX-Mini or Bryston BHA-1, the speed and bass control is impressive. Yet I prefer the Elite from my HA-3A (with upgrade NOS tube set). With NOS tubes, bass control is not too far off, but the sound is a lot more spacious, staging more lifelike and the whole sound is more natural. Sure, it might just be personal preference, but IMO the 3A with my NOS setup is better even objectively. I have not heard the OOR or Bliss yet, so they might change my mind, but if we make SS and tube compete at the same price range, I think it is always a clear win for tubes (perhaps forget £300 Chinese OTLs here). The only thing one has to watch out for is making sure to use low impedance planars with TC tube amps and keep OTLs for high impedance headphones.

I'll have to check out the HA3A. I've got a HA6A here and it's pretty nice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back