ZMF Caldera - New Planar Magnetic from ZMF!
Jan 28, 2023 at 12:11 PM Post #3,046 of 7,114
I've been burning in the Caldera (at about 150 hours now) and spent my first dedicated time listing to them last night. I love most things about the sound and particularly the base and separation. One issue I'm having is on some songs the vocals seem reassessed and are a bit overpowered by the instruments. I experienced this on about half of the songs I listened to that had vocals. I found my self riding the volume to increase during certain vocal segments of a song but then needed to lower it at other points. I did some quick A/B comparisons with the Susvara and Utopia 2022, in all cases the vocals were more pronounced on those two.

Is this a characteristic of the Caldera that others are experiencing?

Thanks,
Ken
Here you tried pad swapping? I have not experienced this with suede pads. I have not heard the stock pads yet.

Jan 28, 2023 at 12:20 PM Post #3,047 of 7,114
I've been burning in the Caldera (at about 150 hours now) and spent my first dedicated time listing to them last night. I love most things about the sound and particularly the base and separation. One issue I'm having is on some songs the vocals seem reassessed and are a bit overpowered by the instruments. I experienced this on about half of the songs I listened to that had vocals. I found my self riding the volume to increase during certain vocal segments of a song but then needed to lower it at other points. I did some quick A/B comparisons with the Susvara and Utopia 2022, in all cases the vocals were more pronounced on those two.

Thanks,
Ken

Hi Ken, not my experience.. but like @iamoneagain said, I’d also recommend playing with pad swapping. We each have our own HRTF and pads will change tuning audibly, one of them may well fit you (link to some pad impressions in my spoiler button below)

Jan 28, 2023 at 1:57 PM Post #3,050 of 7,114

Thanks,
Ken

I have simiolar expierience with my recently purchased (about 1 month) Verite Open, using lambskin perforated pads (since those gave me the desired bass) but some of the vocals seem to be bit in the background, especially on prog and rock songs, instruments are overshadowing the vocals in quite a few songs. Not sure if its the so called ZMF tuning. Hope that the calderas I am waiting for will have some pad combination where bass and vocals are balanced as well as stage and the detail. Hm.

Which dac + amp are you using?

Jan 28, 2023 at 2:45 PM Post #3,051 of 7,114
Do you know if there’s date for stabilized Calderas to be released? I mean after red heart
Feb third, will be releasing some video content and email content this week too. Best to subscribe to our email list.

Thanks,
Ken
Likely the thin, suede or cowhide pads will be to your liking via hrtf and what others mentioned. Bringing the ear closer bring up the mids by bringing down the bass.

I do think amp pairing plays a part here, the Caldera changes a lot with amps, an OTL or higher impedance source (higher than 1 for a planar) will bring the mids forward, maybe almost *too* much. My 300b amps turn the Caldera into a very mid-rangey headphone, where-as super low impedance solid states have more this effect.

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Jan 28, 2023 at 3:29 PM Post #3,052 of 7,114
I have simiolar expierience with my recently purchased (about 1 month) Verite Open, using lambskin perforated pads (since those gave me the desired bass) but some of the vocals seem to be bit in the background, especially on prog and rock songs, instruments are overshadowing the vocals in quite a few songs. Not sure if its the so called ZMF tuning. Hope that the calderas I am waiting for will have some pad combination where bass and vocals are balanced as well as stage and the detail. Hm.

Which dac + amp are you using?
I'm using them with the DCS Lina stack. I gave them a quick try on my desktop system - Mola Mola Tambaqui and GS-X mk2. They sound great on both systems but the vocal issue remains the same on both systems.

Jan 28, 2023 at 3:31 PM Post #3,053 of 7,114
Feb third, will be releasing some video content and email content this week too. Best to subscribe to our email list.

Likely the thin, suede or cowhide pads will be to your liking via hrtf and what others mentioned. Bringing the ear closer bring up the mids by bringing down the bass.

I do think amp pairing plays a part here, the Caldera changes a lot with amps, an OTL or higher impedance source (higher than 1 for a planar) will bring the mids forward, maybe almost *too* much. My 300b amps turn the Caldera into a very mid-rangey headphone, where-as super low impedance solid states have more this effect.
Thanks all for your advice on the pad swap. Mine came with the leather and the "Lambskin Thick Caldera (warmer)" so it looks like I'll need to purchase the suede and cowhide pads to give them a try.

Jan 28, 2023 at 3:35 PM Post #3,054 of 7,114

Thanks,
Ken
I experience it to some degree and also find it track and amp or even tube roll dependent. Vocals are less forward than the Atrium or Auteur, but more than the Verite Open or Abyss 1266TC that I recently got. I think part of it too for me is that they are just so detailed and there’s so much to focus on. What amp or amps are you using?

edit: Zach mentioned 300b amps and I certainly preferred the Feliks Envy to the Lina stack he also had at CanJam. The Envy had the same effect on the Verite too, and I’ve never heard it sound better.

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2023 at 3:38 PM Post #3,055 of 7,114
I experience it to some degree and also find it track and amp or even tube roll dependent. Vocals are less forward than the Atrium or Auteur, but more than the Verite Open or Abyss 1266TC that I recently got. I think part of it too for me is that they are just so detailed and there’s so much to focus on. What amp or amps are you using?
DCS Lina
GS-X mk2
I have the Auris Headonia 2A3 for tubes but haven't tried that yet.

Jan 28, 2023 at 3:39 PM Post #3,056 of 7,114

Any particular amp you would advice to get with Caldera (best that works well with Verite Open) ?

Currently debating if I should replace Feliks Euforia Evo with Cayin HA-3a or 6a for Caldera. But would appreciate any advice, including solid state amps.

Jan 28, 2023 at 3:43 PM Post #3,057 of 7,114
DCS Lina
GS-X mk2
Would be interested to hear what you think of the Auris compared to the other two. The GSX MK ii I have is probably the worst offender of the type of sound you're talking about from the amps I have. Until you have the thin or suede pads probably worth staying with stock pads.

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Jan 28, 2023 at 3:45 PM Post #3,058 of 7,114
Would be interested to hear what you think of the Auris compared to the other two. The GSX MK ii I have is probably the worst offender of the type of sound you're talking about from the amps I have. Until you have the thin or suede pads probably worth staying with stock pads.
Thanks for the advice, most of the time I'm on the Lina but I'll give the Auris a try. I couldn't find the Caldera thin suede pads on the website. Are you able to send me a link?

Jan 28, 2023 at 3:54 PM Post #3,059 of 7,114
Jan 28, 2023 at 4:01 PM Post #3,060 of 7,114
DCS Lina
GS-X mk2

DEFINITELY try the Auris. I have the Nirvana (similar DNA) and it's my default amp for the Caldera. It will possible a notable difference vs. your solid state amps (at least it does in my system).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back