ZMF Caldera - New Planar Magnetic from ZMF!
Dec 20, 2022 at 11:59 PM Post #2,597 of 7,134
Before i post my initial impression of the Caldera, I would like to ask if anyone here powers their caldera with a GSX mini? This amp gave me a completely unexpected sound signature with the caldera. Please share any info regarding this setup.
I have a GSX MK ii and it really seemed to turn the Caldera into a very neutral, fast and technical headphone. A bit higher impedance and/or other solid states like the Wells make them more girthy and beefy.

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Dec 21, 2022 at 12:01 AM Post #2,598 of 7,134
Last edited:
Dec 21, 2022 at 12:08 AM Post #2,600 of 7,134
They say they are out of stock. Have for some time too. Supply can't keep up with demand in a lot of areas these days.
Oh, I missed their OOS banner. Have you emailed them to see when they'll get more in?

Dec 21, 2022 at 7:53 AM Post #2,603 of 7,134
Shoot, now my Caldera is not scheduled to arrive until the 26th. I guess I’ll be spending time with my family on Christmas 😄. Good thing I have no plans the rest of the week I’m off.

Dec 21, 2022 at 8:14 AM Post #2,604 of 7,134
Shoot, now my Caldera is not scheduled to arrive until the 26th. I guess I’ll be spending time with my family on Christmas 😄. Good thing I have no plans the rest of the week I’m off.
Hope for the best and prepare for the worst. There is a huge blizzard moving through the Midwest that will likely slow shipping.

Dec 21, 2022 at 8:40 AM Post #2,605 of 7,134
Dec 21, 2022 at 8:42 AM Post #2,606 of 7,134
Hope for the best and prepare for the worst. There is a huge blizzard moving through the Midwest that will likely slow shipping.
Good to know. It’s going to be 75 here in San Diego on Christmas Day and the day after. As much I’m looking forward to the headphones, I guess I can enjoy a local vacation too. I work from home, so the Caldera will still get plenty of head time.

Dec 21, 2022 at 8:44 AM Post #2,607 of 7,134
Dec 21, 2022 at 9:45 AM Post #2,608 of 7,134
They're not recommended as the circuit wasn't designed for it as voltage will sag.
There you go.

Voltage sag isn't really a thing in class A amplifiers. The B+ voltage will be lower due to the higher voltage drop of the rectifier, so the operating points of the tubes will change, but this is not significantly detrimental, you might see a marginally higher output impedance. Using a higher Vdrop rectifier will add more resistance to the power supply, which is really only a problem in amplifiers that have a variable DC current draw, i.e., class AB amplifiers. In class A, the current draw is constant, so the voltage drop is constant, so the operating points are steady state as opposed to being variable. This variable operating point in class AB amplifiers is what is referred to as "sag". In these types of amplifiers, it is a design goal to have a relatively "stiff" power supply, meaning a low resistance supply such that the voltage drop across it will not significantly change with variable DC current draw. But again, not an issue in single ended class A tube headphone amps where the current draw is constant.

I explained it in more detail here: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/hea...t-for-all-300b-tube-amps.962932/post-17193287

Dec 21, 2022 at 10:26 AM Post #2,609 of 7,134
A higher voltage drop rectifier might sound "slow" compared to a lower voltage drop rectifier as the tubes are at a colder bias point (i.e., lower plate voltage, lower bias current), which means higher internal resistance, which means a slightly higher output impedance and likely higher distortion.
Quoting this from your explanation in the other thread. I had asked Craig about using 274B in Studio B and this was his response - "The 274B rectifier has a much larger voltage drop and will play with less power slightly spongy sound, but will work". This seems to be in-line with what you mentioned.

Dec 21, 2022 at 10:31 AM Post #2,610 of 7,134
Quoting this from your explanation in the other thread. I had asked Craig about using 274B in Studio B and this was his response - "The 274B rectifier has a much larger voltage drop and will play with less power slightly spongy sound, but will work". This seems to be in-line with what you mentioned.

Yes, it's not a matter of functionality, but the operating points will change, and as such the sound will change. Whether the change is good or bad will be highly subjective. These amplifiers have an excess of power for headphones, so the slight loss of peak power output that will never be utilized by any headphone is a non issue. The more significant audible effect is the change in operating point of the tube as it will affect distortion and output impedance slightly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back