ZMF Caldera - New Planar Magnetic from ZMF!
Dec 5, 2022 at 10:56 PM Post #2,236 of 7,609
Yes, and I am craving one now very badly.... (perfect analogy!:))

Most importantly, wishing your mom good recovery and good health 🙏
Thank you!!!! Xiao Long Bao!!!!

Dec 5, 2022 at 10:57 PM Post #2,237 of 7,609
1670299066288.png

Dec 5, 2022 at 10:59 PM Post #2,238 of 7,609
Dec 5, 2022 at 11:33 PM Post #2,239 of 7,609
Perfect! There's my Atrium....:)
Looks more like a Spirit Torino (minus the pentagram). :yum:
It takes an enormous amount of courage to put something into the world to be reviewed, picked apart and put into a list of "best" or to just be criticized.
+1
I bet the Atrium and RS8 sound fantastic together. I can only imagine how good it sounds on the Nautilus.
Ruinous. :astonished:

Caldera, too. I brought my Nautilus to CANJAM SoCal and stayed up surfing tracks on Caldera until I feared the sun would come up and I'd miss the entire 2nd day of the show, lol. That's been my one listening session so far, and here we are nearly 3 months later, and I can't get it out of my head....

Dec 6, 2022 at 1:21 AM Post #2,240 of 7,609
Caldera is a better headphone than the Era-1. But that doesn’t take away from how great the Quad is. Especially since you can buy one for less than $500.
It obviously is. :)
It's really tempting and #1 on my list.

But the question still persists, for me. :wink:

I'll hear it soon, hopefully. :beerchug:

Dec 6, 2022 at 1:50 AM Post #2,241 of 7,609
Man after my own heart! I’ve had a dark voice in the past and currently have a bigger Ben. We’ll have to do a caldera + bigger Ben tube comparison!

I’ve found some recent excellent synergy with the bendix/tung sol 6889 power tubes and the rca grey glass 6sn7. The over liquid lush rca pairs great with the analytical and heavy bass 6889; it just suits the Caldera (suede caldera pads).

I’ve been using the usaf 596 rectifier for all my tube testing.
Absolutely! I'm always open to tube suggestions to try. I have a set of 6889 and I do like them quite a lot(I'm pretty sure I picked them up based on your post about CanJam SoCal in the A&S thread?). On the BB Rev 2, I have found a great pairing with the Holland-made 7062/E180CC. That seems to be a very warm/lush tube so sounds like a similar combination. I only just got them, though so need to spend more time with them. I was debating on what tubes to try first with Caldera. Sounds like this will be a great start. I have a 596 around here as well, but definitely haven't tried it with the 6889 yet either. Lately I've been stuck on an old Ken-Rad original 5U4G(hanging filament). It seems to give a new take on all my favorite tubes so I have been swapping often. Thanks for the tip!

Dec 6, 2022 at 2:56 AM Post #2,242 of 7,609
The quad is one of those headphones that wouldn’t replace a headphone in my current collection, but is so good that I’m always tempted to get it when I see it on sale. Just one of those headphones I can’t seem to quit.

Other examples would be the hd600, he6se (that one is more price based, it just keeps getting less!), the he-500, focal clear, and Pretty much any ZMF I don’t currently own.
So, basically you are saying you couldn't let go any of your gear. :)

I’m back with another random spotlight shot 6C85625F-79B2-47B8-8F9B-8047890DF0E8.jpeg
She is a beauty!! :)

Been doing some serious a/b'ing of the Caldera and Atrium tonight. I will put out a review of both the Atrium and Caldera before the end of the year. A bit behind as I wasn't planning on a 3 week sojourn to the hospital with my mother.

I am listening to both through my Icon HP8 MK2 Signature. No EQ with either. Set up as max PCM through Roon. So, upsampling to 192k, but nothing else. All files are 24/48. I don't actually think the comparison between the Atrium and Caldera is the one I will highlight when I review either. I will spend more time comparing the Caldera to the LCD-4z and the Atrium to my other dynamic headphones. But, as I have both here it is fun to compare them. I will also be able to use my new amp when it arrives with both as it should be here by end of next week. I will let everyone know what it is once it arrives. I want to make sure it arrives without issue.

Impressions: Side Note - Lots of reference to food, so if you don't like music or food stop reading now...:)
1. I love them both!
2. Bass control on the Caldera is better. More speed, better coherent picture between 80hz and 150hz. Bass of the Atrium is amazing, but not quite as agile. It is perhaps a bit more humped through the 150-200hz region, whereas the Caldera to my ears is more linear. I love this quality. The Caldera bass response is near perfect to my ears.
3. Midrange size is bigger on the Atrium. Soundstage in general is larger on the Atrium. Especially laterally. They both display a superior front to back staging due to ADS.
4. The bite of guitars & vocals are more prevalent on the Atrium. The Caldera is much more neutral through the presence region. However, the Caldera displays impeccable speed and has a more developed stage, even though smaller. Layering, and the subtlety of my music is more present on the Caldera.
5. The Atrium just sounds right to me. There is very little I don't like about its tuning. Especially the space between the notes, and the decay of notes which happens in such an organic manner. They linger perfectly, hanging in the air just long enough for me to grasp them so that I can remember their sound as the song moves effortlessly to the next section.
6. The Caldera is more intense all the way around. It presents more of everything in my music without blinking. The Atrium is no slouch just takes a more languid approach. I love both approaches.
7. Treble has a bit more Planar bite to it on the Caldera in the mid to upper treble. Atrium is one laid back customer.
8. Transience on the Caldera needs to be heard. The ability to stop and start, the speed of note decay, the ability for the headphone to just keep pushing forward. There is no lingering, the Caldera flows with the music and makes you listen and stay with the song. No waiting around, just get up and go. The difference between a walk in the park and a walk in Manhattan.

It might seem like I am contradicting myself a bit with some of my impressions. I don't think so, because they are more headphones that compliment one another with different purposes and points of view. It is hard to compare them when I would prefer to say that they compliment one another.

Zach and I talked about how you make something that sounds like "home". That is the Atrium for me. The Caldera is more technically adept, which enables you to travel from home to venue, to studio and everywhere in between. The Caldera puts you in the room with all of your favorite bands and presents the space of that room exactly as the engineer has mixed the sound. I love this quality. But, the intangibles of the Atrium cannot be ignored. It has a sumptuous quality, satisfying and warms the soul. Have you ever eaten a Shanghai Soup Dumpling? You pop it into your mouth and are transported to a place of bliss. The pork is savory and warm, the dough breaks and you are flooded with the most delicious broth. The taste just consumes you, you can't discern anything else. That is how the Atrium makes me feel. Whereas the Caldera tastes to me like a perfectly seared scallop in duck fat with the perfect compliment of a creamy celery root puree, with sauteed celery in walnut oil, highlighted by a truffle vinaigrette and a hint of raw celery leaves for vibrancy. Intense, and balanced. The taste of the caramelized scallop as it slowly envelopes the duck fat, the crunch of a perfectly seared crust. The way the scallop reacts to the knife giving way and just continuing to move forward. You can barely feel the knife cut through the meat. Finished by the acidic note of the vinaigrette giving you balance. If you can tell me which part of the dish represents bass, midrange and treble you win! :) The Caldera handles all the complexity of my music in the same way that dish balances every flavor and texture. As a chef I always compare music and gear to food. They are both pursuits of our senses, and share similarities. I always viewed running my kitchen as a jazz ensemble. It is a night of improv. We don't know what tickets are coming in, the order, pace or what will be ordered. So, we have to react and find our rhythm. We need to use all of our senses, both hands, move in a way that harmonizes with the other cooks and kitchen staff. Everything must come together, always anchored by the lead who navigates the timing and keeps everyone on track. The Caldera does this in spades.

I love them both for completely different reasons. Thanks for reading my insanity! :xf_cool:
As a foodie I appreciate the examples. I think they were spot on and fully conveyed what you meant. I am pretty sure it would be an experience to try your cooking! :wink:

Dec 6, 2022 at 4:02 AM Post #2,244 of 7,609
So, basically you are saying you couldn't let go any of your gear. :)

She is a beauty!! :)

As a foodie I appreciate the examples. I think they were spot on and fully conveyed what you meant. I am pretty sure it would be an experience to try your cooking! :wink:
I am saying I wouldn’t sell anything I currently have for a Quad, but would look to add it back if things lines up.

Dec 6, 2022 at 6:31 AM Post #2,245 of 7,609
Dec 6, 2022 at 8:52 AM Post #2,246 of 7,609
Dec 6, 2022 at 9:48 AM Post #2,248 of 7,609
i am wondering if different wood gives caldera a sonic advantage?

There will be marginal differences but not enough to get one over the other. Aesthetics and weight should take precedence in my opinion when selecting wood type

Dec 6, 2022 at 10:12 AM Post #2,249 of 7,609
You did what?!? Respect!
When he wrote he brought his Nautilus - he meant his pet!
1670339470462.png

I have seen people bring a little dog, but yeah - bringing a sea creature is a little odd at CanJam... :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Dec 6, 2022 at 10:23 AM Post #2,250 of 7,609
When he wrote he brought his Nautilus - he meant his pet!
1670339470462.png

I have seen people bring a little dog, but yeah - bringing a sea creature is a little odd at CanJam... :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
That's a strong possibility. Or he is just another one of those who go to meetings with his submarine like the fellow with the U22 a few pages ago. :)

US-Navy-USS-Nautilus-Submarine-Cutaway.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back