ZMF Caldera - New Planar Magnetic from ZMF!
Dec 2, 2022 at 4:43 PM Post #2,116 of 7,114
anyone in here tried the caldera out of the headphone output from the RME ADI-2? Thinking of grabbing the caldera in the future and buying a solid state amp to go with it after wards but I was wondering if the RME ADI-2 is capable of driving it in the meanwhile to some degree
I just gave them a listen on mine and it’s totally serviceable. Not my favorite sound on them, but it definitely gets them up to volume and listenable. Biggest issue imo is bass is a bit flubby (but plentiful)

Dec 2, 2022 at 4:50 PM Post #2,117 of 7,114
I just gave them a listen on mine and it’s totally serviceable. Not my favorite sound on them, but it definitely gets them up to volume and listenable. Biggest issue imo is bass is a bit flubby (but plentiful)
was thinking of grabbing teh cayin iha-6. I reckon that pairing is pretty sweet?
also thanks for checking!

Dec 2, 2022 at 4:53 PM Post #2,119 of 7,114
The Cayin iHA6 is a fantastic pairing, totally recommend especially if you can get the bundle price from Zach
probably cheaper to get the cayin in Europe as import duties are quite excessive (21%) and prices in Europe are about the same as the prices on the ZMF site sadly for the amp itself (even with the bundle price).
eg the bundle price is about 670 euro and I can see the amp for 690 euro including VAT online in Europe. I am sure the bundle price is amazing tho for US buyers but import duties are just the nature of things.

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2022 at 5:02 PM Post #2,120 of 7,114
Dec 2, 2022 at 5:06 PM Post #2,121 of 7,114
+1

If you haven't already, check my IHA 6 review. Great synergy with the Caldera
will check it out as it popped up in my feed when I was looking for reviews for the amp :)

Dec 2, 2022 at 7:03 PM Post #2,122 of 7,114
My Kingwoods made it out here to my far flung island in Washington today - I'm heading over to the mainland as we speak to put them through the review and impressions grueler with my friend in Seattle. On the desk will be my Calderas, Atriums, and stock Sundaras, and his Auteurs (non-classical), Arya Stealth, and Sundaras modded with ZMF pads. Sources will be my Geshelli and (since I haven't listed it for sale yet) Topping stacks and RU6 dongle, and his Ares II + modded Jotunheim 2 and Valhalla 2. May the games begin! (after a long, snowy ferry ride and drive 🙂). I'll throw pics in with my first impressions post late this evening west coast time.

Dec 2, 2022 at 7:45 PM Post #2,123 of 7,114
My Kingwoods made it out here to my far flung island in Washington today - I'm heading over to the mainland as we speak to put them through the review and impressions grueler with my friend in Seattle. On the desk will be my Calderas, Atriums, and stock Sundaras, and his Auteurs (non-classical), Arya Stealth, and Sundaras modded with ZMF pads. Sources will be my Geshelli and (since I haven't listed it for sale yet) Topping stacks and RU6 dongle, and his Ares II + modded Jotunheim 2 and Valhalla 2. May the games begin! (after a long, snowy ferry ride and drive 🙂). I'll throw pics in with my first impressions post late this evening west coast time.
*sniff* and me still with no shipping notification yet...

Dec 2, 2022 at 8:06 PM Post #2,124 of 7,114
Dec 2, 2022 at 8:21 PM Post #2,125 of 7,114
Dec 2, 2022 at 8:27 PM Post #2,126 of 7,114
Dec 2, 2022 at 9:26 PM Post #2,127 of 7,114
I’m not expecting mine to be shipped anytime soon so the wait is easy, but it would be nice to get an unexpected early shipping notification.

Dec 2, 2022 at 9:45 PM Post #2,128 of 7,114
I’m not expecting mine to be shipped anytime soon so the wait is easy, but it would be nice to get an unexpected early shipping notification.
I'm in the same boat - I can wait, but seeing everyone else with these "Surprise!" shipments gets me anxious....

Dec 2, 2022 at 11:23 PM Post #2,129 of 7,114
Still surprised by how much I love the suede pads! Hoping to do more pad swapping next week.

IMG_0508_smaller.JPG

Dec 3, 2022 at 2:20 AM Post #2,130 of 7,114
The FedEx driver delivered my package to the wrong address and "signed for" by my last name. I got an email saying the package was delivered so I walked down the block and spotted my package on someone's porch. I rang the bell and the owner of the house says he didn't sign for it which means the driver forged my signature and left it there. I called customer service to report the driver for his incompetence (my first time being a male Karen and it feels great!). If I didn't locate this package myself I would be spending weeks dealing with the claims department so this driver needed to be reported to prevent this from happening to anyone else.

Dude. Both of the ZMF’s I ordered specifically had signature required and both times FedEx signed “on my behalf” and just left it at my front door. Fortunately I was home or that woulda been a porch thief’s lucky day…twice.

FedEx is pretty much garbage anymore. The alternatives aren't much better, but they are the worst by my experience. They have left three ZMF headphones on the steps when I was home and never even rang the bell. Three different instances, three different drivers that is. The drivers do it because there are no consequences. When you call and report it, the driver will never hear a word about it. They are told to just deliver the package, whatever it takes. The only time they may care is if a large shipping account finds out that package signatures aren't being signed for and complains or has to replace lost merchandise that was misdelivered, but you, the recipient complaining amounts to nothing. You may have also noticed that their drivers are some of the worst on the road. That's because of their lax requirements for certs and experience. Try reporting one of them. They will outright slam the phone down as soon as you tell them why you are calling. I've know people that worked for them in various capacities over the years and they all confirm just how little they care except when it means that a big shipping account might be lost to UPS. ...and God forbid that you ever have to file a claim. They will run that around for weeks and if you miss one request for info or pictures or anything, the claim starts over or they'll just cite COVID as being the reason to relieve themselves of any obligation. Anyways, didn't intend to get on a rant, but yeah, they're business practices are pretty rotten and I won't even get into all the equipment that I've had destroyed by them. I use the FedEx app to keep a close eye on packages as well. Glad both of yours worked out okay, despite the incompetence.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back