ZMF Caldera - New Planar Magnetic from ZMF!
Nov 16, 2022 at 7:10 PM Post #1,291 of 7,081
I just tried the Bull-Riff Stampede song again on my Atrium, and to my ears the sound is not slow or muddy at all. Actually, I never had the impression that the Atrium were slower than the VC or the Utopia when I had the 3 headphones with me.
On my GOTL the Atrium was slow, but more holographic vs Airmid. On the Airmid (and Aegis) the Atrium isnt slow....its just not as fast as the Caldera. :)
My chain is neutral and clean, and I'm using the vented mesh, so it's probably helping.
I have a tube DAC, so that def impacts what my chain sounds like depending upon the tubes I have in there.

Nov 16, 2022 at 8:08 PM Post #1,292 of 7,081
IMG-9922.jpg

Thought I would put up some natural light photos I took of the Caldera LTD Golden Oak. The pictures were taken with the cowhide pads on. I received this pair as a loaner from Zach. I am loving the sound in the short time I have had with them. I definitely am preferring the cowhide pads vs the Caldera lamb as they provide a more energy and weight to the music. Many thanks to Zach for providing me with the loaner! There are more pics at the imgur link! https://imgur.com/a/lV3i9Jc.
The golden oak with coffee grill is not ltd us it ? just stock variation like the aged cherry Atrium?
I thought the caldera ltd is the kingwood?
I am getting confused on which is what teasing all the posts

Nov 16, 2022 at 8:27 PM Post #1,293 of 7,081

Thought I would put up some natural light photos I took of the Caldera LTD Golden Oak. The pictures were taken with the cowhide pads on. I received this pair as a loaner from Zach. I am loving the sound in the short time I have had with them. I definitely am preferring the cowhide pads vs the Caldera lamb as they provide a more energy and weight to the music. Many thanks to Zach for providing me with the loaner! There are more pics at the imgur link! https://imgur.com/a/lV3i9Jc.
^^^These are Coffee Oak with Gold Grill. They are not LTD, just a variation on stock oak.

These below are the stock Golden Oak with black grill (also not LTD):
1668648417959.png

...and THESE are the Kingswood LTD with steel grill. They are mine - you can't have them.

1668648466742.png

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2022 at 9:21 PM Post #1,295 of 7,081
^^^These are Coffee Oak with Gold Grill.

These below are the Golden Oak with black grill:

...and THESE are the Kingswood with steel grill. They are mine - you can't have them.

The Coffee Gold I posted is not LTD. It is just a $200 option under the white oak Caldera page. The only LTD for now is the Kingwood. I apologize for any confusion I may have caused.

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2022 at 9:25 PM Post #1,296 of 7,081
@zach915m I think it's time for you to think about making an estat. I can imagine the ZMF sound in an electrostatic. It could compete with the CRBN. :beerchug:

I gotta try your Caldera. I'm a big planar fan

Nov 16, 2022 at 10:02 PM Post #1,297 of 7,081
ZMF Caldera vid is up

I as always, enjoyed your review Tyler! Got the Kenzie 2 based in large part on your review and it’s amazing. Atrium or Caldera is my next purchase though I’m leaning towards Atrium cause I listen to acoustic singer/songwriter with a lot of Springsteen mixed in as well. (The ultimate singer/songwriter/performer) :)

Nov 16, 2022 at 10:34 PM Post #1,298 of 7,081
There's lambskin caldera, and then a thicker version and a thinner version.

I'll cover this when we do the pad chart and comparisons and measurements as well, but the stock pad is the Caldera pad, then the thinner and thicker are for those that want a warmer or more linear sound. Instead of any mesh in front of the driver like with our dynamic headphones, you would just change the pads on Caldera.
From canjam socal they were equiped with stock caldera lambskin, correct? Not "thick" or "thin". The second pad shipped was 'Caldera suede" I believe? Just trying to keep the pad types straight for future pad rolling :).

Nov 16, 2022 at 10:42 PM Post #1,299 of 7,081
From canjam socal they were equiped with stock caldera lambskin, correct? Not "thick" or "thin". The second pad shipped was 'Caldera suede" I believe? Just trying to keep the pad types straight for future pad rolling :).
Yep!

Nobody has actually heard the thick or thin versions yet as I've purposely withheld them. I'm sure someone will check them out at some point. 😀

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Nov 17, 2022 at 12:26 AM Post #1,300 of 7,081
Yep!

Nobody has actually heard the thick or thin versions yet as I've purposely withheld them. I'm sure someone will check them out at some point. 😀
PAD ME UP!

Nov 17, 2022 at 12:45 AM Post #1,302 of 7,081
Did I hear that a heliosphann pad review is in order...? : )
Working on it. I'll at least have a mini-one to give some impressions for Caldera buyers next week.

Just swapped on the thicker cowhide pads today. They're quite different from the Suede pads.

Nov 17, 2022 at 3:35 AM Post #1,303 of 7,081
^^^These are Coffee Oak with Gold Grill.

These below are the Golden Oak with black grill:
1668648417959.png

...and THESE are the Kingswood with steel grill. They are mine - you can't have them.

1668648466742.png
I'd love Kingswood with black grills

The fact that each ZMF is unique makes it pretty hard to decide sometime.

Also while all headphones have great aesthetics, the VC had by far the prettiest pieces. I think further closed headphones will be extremely popular.
I can't even narrow it down to top 5 at this point 😅

Nov 17, 2022 at 4:43 AM Post #1,304 of 7,081
On my GOTL the Atrium was slow, but more holographic vs Airmid. On the Airmid (and Aegis) the Atrium isnt slow....its just not as fast as the Caldera. :)

I have a tube DAC, so that def impacts what my chain sounds like depending upon the tubes I have in there.
I am getting similar results with my Icon Audio HP8. I hadn't listened to the Atrium since the Caldera arrived, but tonight put the Atrium back on my noggin and I can't stop smiling. The Caldera is pure bliss on my SS Cembalo Spring 1, and fantastic on my Icon Audio HP8. The Atrium is pure bliss on my Icon Audio HP8 and fantastic on the SS Cembalo Spring 1. Both eminently listenable, however, preferences exist. Speed on the HP8 with The Atrium is not lacking and the decay being a bit slower gives the sound such a wonderful tonality. The Atrium has flat out the best midrange I have heard on a headphone. The Caldera is every bit as good, just different. It counters with incredible speed, top end resolution and a more coherent overall picture. But, I sure do love the Atrium. I agree, the Atrium isn't as fast as the Caldera, but by no means do I feel like my music is slogging, and the tone is just heavenly. They are very different headphones and both deserve to be heard.

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2022 at 4:52 AM Post #1,305 of 7,081
I am getting similar results with my Icon Audio HP8. I hadn't listened to the Atrium since the Caldera arrived, but tonight put the Atrium back on my noggin and I can't stop smiling. The Caldera is pure bliss on my SS Cembalo Spring 1, and fantastic on my Icon Audio HP8. The Atrium is pure bliss on my Icon Audio HP8 and fantastic on the SS Cembalo Spring 1. Both eminently listenable, however, preferences exist. Speed on the HP8 with The Atrium is not lacking and the decay being a bit slower gives the sound such a wonderful tonality. The Atrium has flat out the best midrange I have heard on a headphone. The Caldera is every bit as good, just different. It counters with incredible speed, top end resolution and a more coherent overall picture. But, I sure do love the Atrium. I agree, the Atrium isn't as fast as the Caldera, but by no means do I feel like my music is slogging, and the tone is just heavenly. They are very different headphones and both deserve to be heard.
I don't use a tube DAC like @Monsterzero, I use the Exogal Comet+ which is effortless and full of life. It just disappears into my amps and with it impeccable digital volume control, I can keep the amount of volume play at the perfect spot no matter the headphone on either of my amps. I can't see myself getting a different DAC until the Comet+ becomes obsolete. Based on what I am hearing, that won't be anytime soon. Bottom line. all of my headphones sound amazing through my chain.

Over the next few weeks I will be doing a deep dive with the Caldera and the LCD-4z, I think they will make for a great comparison.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back