ZMF Caldera - New Planar Magnetic from ZMF!
Nov 11, 2022 at 10:24 PM Post #1,202 of 7,293
Can't leave them behind! I mentioned in my earlier post they actually sound pretty great out of the mojo 2. That is my little travel setup.
case to transport them? that has been an issue in the past for me. I guess they fold flat like other ZMF. need to change countries now and then. Best transportable amp for Caldera?

Nov 11, 2022 at 10:28 PM Post #1,203 of 7,293
I love the treble on the Atrium, this is just right. would the Caldera be more laid-back with cymbals and such? on the fence without hearing them, leaning toward buying them. might try to hear in Singapore, we will see if they arrive soon.

Nov 11, 2022 at 10:33 PM Post #1,204 of 7,293
I love the treble on the Atrium, this is just right. would the Caldera be more laid-back with cymbals and such? on the fence without hearing them, leaning toward buying them. might try to hear in Singapore, we will see if they arrive soon.

Not really. Atrium is a bit more forwarding in vocals than Caldera -- in other words, Caldera is a bit more laid-back in mids. But Caldera is much crispier and snappier in cymbals and hi hats.

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2022 at 10:56 PM Post #1,205 of 7,293
Not really. Atrium is a bit more forwarding in vocals than Caldera -- in other words, Caldera is a bit more laid-back in mids. But Caldera is much more crisp and snappy in cymbals and hi hats.

that settles it! just need to find a transportable amp and case. not too worried about ZMF mids, always great. not using in-flight lol

Nov 11, 2022 at 11:06 PM Post #1,206 of 7,293
I did a comparison on some tracks between a few headphones including the VC way earlier in the forum. To me, I find the Caldera to be easier on the ears up top, and more exciting down low. The VC presence region sometimes gets into my danger zone. The Caldera somehow rides the line perfectly. The bass energy feels more vivid/tactile. The instrument tones feel very natural on the Caldera, but with a touch of planar flavor. VC obviously is going to give you much better isolation. Comfort is on par. Separation and detail are better on Caldera. Soundstage is different, but I'm going to give it to the Caldera. VC is still an amazing TOTL headphone that I love, but Caldera has taken up all my head time.
Yes I remember those comparisons. I’ve been asking different people how the midrange is on caldera compared to vc. Seems that most so far say it’s more forward than both verites.

Nov 12, 2022 at 3:53 AM Post #1,208 of 7,293
@geoffalter11 - man I can feel you grinning all the way here! Enjoy the new cans, hope to join you early adopters soon! :L3000:
Thank you! I have given them about 2 hrs of playing. A few more thoughts...

1. Icon Audio HP8 Tube Amp - The Caldera has plenty of head room. They are playing at about 12 on the volume pot using the middle impedance setting which should fit the Caldera's impedance at 60 ohms and 95db. They sound great but dynamic range feels a bit restrained. This could be the drivers still opening up, or that it isn't necessarily the best pairing with this amp. That being said, the sound is fantastic and to say it isn’t enjoyable would be disingenuous.
2. Cembalo Spring 1 - This amp, oh this amp. It was built for this occasion. The Caldera sounds absolutely sublime through the Spring 1. Sound is still a bit tight. I am using no EQ, just letting them play as intended. This amp pushes a ton of current and the Caldera, although it doesn't need it for loudness, is soaking it up. Bass solidity is quite good, midrange is open and articulate and the treble has a ton of top end resolution. I can really tell this is a reference headphone on a reference set up which will become my favored way of using the Caldera.
3. Yet to try on the Audio-GD R28.

They sound a bit dark to start in the lower treble but I am still getting used to their sound. I need to give them time. Both the headphones as well as my head time to adjust. My main headphones I will be comparing will be the LCD-4z and the Atrium. Honestly, I am most interested in how they sound against the 4z. My 4z has more than 500 hrs on it, so right now they sound very different. My ears are adjusting quite quickly to their tuning.

ZMF has definitely built an awesome headphone. This is definitely something very different and evolved from their Atrium and Verite Variants. I am currently using the black and White Premium Cable that comes with the 4z, so I can use it on both headphones for comparison. I will also use an Audio Sensibility Silver Statement for both to see how it takes to cable rolling. I also have a pair of suede Caldera pads for my enjoyment. Historically I tend to not like the suede pads with ZMF headphones as it bring out the mid bass a bit much for my liking while slowing down the pacing a smidge. YMMV, of course. There is no right or wrong. This is without question the most detailed headphone I have heard from ZMF. For the resolution nuts out there, you will like this element of the Caldera.

More to come... Lots more to come!

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2022 at 3:55 AM Post #1,209 of 7,293
Yes I remember those comparisons. I’ve been asking different people how the midrange is on caldera compared to vc. Seems that most so far say it’s more forward than both verites.
I am not hearing that as of yet. I am hearing the same quality as the Atrium. Midrange instruments are slightly forward, vocals are pushed back a bit giving them a fantastic sense of space, instrument separation and image specificity. While possessing planar speed and bass depth. Awesome!

Nov 12, 2022 at 3:25 PM Post #1,210 of 7,293
Has anyone had a chance to compare the Caldera to the Meze Elite? The Caldera is the only thing headphone I might consider switching to from my Elite. I love ZMF as a company and would also really like to have the peace of mind that comes with a lifetime warranty on the drivers.

On the flip side, I have zero complaints with the Elite. It’s super comfortable and sounds great with everything I listen to, so much so that my poor Auteur has been in its case for a couple of months now. I have kept them with the thought that I’ll eventually upgrade them to a Classic, but I still don’t know if that would entice me to use them more with the Elite in the house.

To buy the Caldera, even at the introductory pricing, would require me to sell my Elite or possibly my Auteur and an amp. It’s a tough call without getting to demo the Caldera first.

Nov 12, 2022 at 3:57 PM Post #1,211 of 7,293
Has anyone had a chance to compare the Caldera to the Meze Elite? The Caldera is the only thing headphone I might consider switching to from my Elite. I love ZMF as a company and would also really like to have the peace of mind that comes with a lifetime warranty on the drivers.

On the flip side, I have zero complaints with the Elite. It’s super comfortable and sounds great with everything I listen to, so much so that my poor Auteur has been in its case for a couple of months now. I have kept them with the thought that I’ll eventually upgrade them to a Classic, but I still don’t know if that would entice me to use them more with the Elite in the house.

To buy the Caldera, even at the introductory pricing, would require me to sell my Elite or possibly my Auteur and an amp. It’s a tough call without getting to demo the Caldera first.

I can only offer a biased comparison by memory. I had the Elite on hand a few weeks ago as a result of a trade. After a week I decided to let it go and passed it on to another head-fier. It was defininitely very good but, to me it was a little boring, and that would be the difference to me I think between the Elite and Caldera. The Elite is super smooth and polite. Easy on the ears, (insanely) comfortable and light on the head, you forget it's there. The Caldera is more attention grabbing and exciting to me. The Caldera seems (from memory) technically superior to the Elite (which frankly may or may not matter); but it is definitely more dynamic (which to me really matters).

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2022 at 4:04 PM Post #1,212 of 7,293

I compared the Caldera earlier in the thread to my Empyrean which I use with elite pads and wywire platinum. I’d say that puts the sound sort of between the vanilla Empyrean and the Elite. This would be a hard choice. I love my Empyrean, but the Caldera has been getting all the listening time. The Empyrean stages things differently. It sounds more like you’re in a room when you A/B. The Caldera has more punchy mid bass. It’s more dynamic overall I think. The Elite is a bit more neutral in the mid bass than the Empyrean from memory so that gap may be wider. The Caldera has sweeter mids that you’d expect from ZMF. The treble is probably a touch more forgiving, but I wouldn’t say it is rolled off or less resolving. The Elite may come ahead in separation, but I’d have to go back and forth. Elite will be more neutral tuning, but Caldera has very realistic instrument sounds…just more lively. Elite is lighter for sure.

Nov 12, 2022 at 4:57 PM Post #1,213 of 7,293
A weekend listen to the Interstellar album end to end. Visualizing the powerful memory of the movie's storyline in my mind's eye, this album always moves me.

With its dynamic range and resolution, the Caldera plays this album beautifully. A sublime hour of immersive listening.

Bliss. 🙏

1668289488121.png

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2022 at 5:28 PM Post #1,214 of 7,293
A weekend listen to the Interstellar album end to end. Visualizing the powerful memory of the movie's storyline in my mind's eye, this album always moves me.

With its dynamic range and resolution, the Caldera plays this album beautifully. A sublime hour of immersive listening.

Bliss. 🙏

1668289488121.png
This is a great soundtrack. I imagine on your system it sounds incredible!

Nov 12, 2022 at 5:33 PM Post #1,215 of 7,293
Still getting to know this amazing headphone. Sounds great! Here is a great example of what I am hearing thus far with the Caldera. This is a great Bon Iver cover... The Caldera definitely does this song justice. Midrange is pretty sweet. Piano and guitar tones are lifelike and alive!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back