ZMF Caldera - New Planar Magnetic from ZMF!
Nov 9, 2022 at 11:41 AM Post #1,126 of 7,093
Is this Same wood stain seems I like this darker oak stain better than the previous image
Or it’s just lighting? Or can we get the same stain
The stains do vary slightly based on the wood variance/grain/cut and the fact that we hand mix every stain. There will be a little variance but overall they look close.
Hey, @zach915m sorry if you already answer this. I heard you guys showcase the Caldera with a lot of amps in Can Jam including the Cayin 3A-HA. What were people's opinions and feedback on the Caldera and Cayin 3A-HA combo?
The HA-3A drives planars no problem that aren't really hard to drive. I would venture anything over 90 db/mw it'll have no problem with, it'll get a Susvara loud enough but may not be the end all in physicality.
I noticed Zach's post about the different wood the Caldera Ltd could come in. It would be really cool if we could do a fan vote to decide. It would be neat to see a small display of what the wood would be like and ppl could place their votes to decide. After all, us crazy ZMF fans would be the ones buying. 😉
We are going to get a custom shop going at some point. There's a lot of back end logistics involved to buying, seasoning and cutting extremely expensive woods from slabs, lumber etc etc that plays in, along with inventory and availability stuff. Down the line when we are able to, we will have a custom shop so specific tastes can be catered to. In the mean time we will try to do our best with regular LTDs and pre built stabilized and resin sets.

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Nov 9, 2022 at 11:50 AM Post #1,127 of 7,093
The stains do vary slightly based on the wood variance/grain/cut and the fact that we hand mix every stain. There will be a little variance but overall they look close.

The HA-3A drives planars no problem that aren't really hard to drive. I would venture anything over 90 db/mw it'll have no problem with, it'll get a Susvara loud enough but may not be the end all in physicality.

We are going to get a custom shop going at some point. There's a lot of back end logistics involved to buying, seasoning and cutting extremely expensive woods from slabs, lumber etc etc that plays in, along with inventory and availability stuff. Down the line when we are able to, we will have a custom shop so specific tastes can be catered to. In the mean time we will try to do our best with regular LTDs and pre built stabilized and resin sets.
Any official November schedule coming out soon ? All the goodies

Nov 9, 2022 at 12:01 PM Post #1,128 of 7,093
Any official November schedule coming out soon ? All the goodies
Sending an email later today with schedule! Official start is Friday, with most of the exciting stuff released on the 18th and 22nd.

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Nov 9, 2022 at 2:40 PM Post #1,131 of 7,093
I’ve been living with the Caldera for a little over a week now, thought I’d share some early impressions and some brief comparisons to the Atrium, which has been my daily driver headphone since launch. I thought that might be more helpful than reiterating what others have already said so eloquently. Worth noting that my Atrium has the full mesh in front of the driver. DAC in my headphone chain is the Audial S5. I’ve listened on a mix of my 6528 OTL and my transformer-coupled 6A5G SET amplifier.

Caldera with 6528 OTL.

0000_0000_0000000024-2.jpg

Atrium with 6A5G SET.

0000_0000_00000000(46)-2.jpg

Starting off with some general Caldera observations, what immediately struck me when I put on the Caldera for the first time was its clarity and resolution. Of the ZMFs that I have in my stable, it is the most technically impressive. It has a huge head-enveloping soundstage, precise imaging, airiness, all without sounding sterile, dry, or “revealing”. It presents details in the mix in the most enjoyable and musical way, it’s a celebration of the nuances of the music, not a dissection.

In terms of bass performance, the Caldera has that thick, weighty, bass that surrounds and shakes your skull. It isn’t overly prominent, it is there when called for and supplied with ease. It’s punchy and dynamic, it has a physicality to it that makes the music lifelike and convincing.

The midrange of the Caldera isn’t forward to my ears, it is well-balanced with the rest of the frequency spectrum, but again, very detailed and natural. I think the best descriptor for it is liquid, it has a smooth, flowing quality to it, very easy on the ears while being simultaneously textured and transparent, aided by the Caldera’s technical prowess.

The treble of the Caldera is perhaps very slightly relaxed, but more prominent I would say than other ZMFs I have owned. It has shimmer and sizzle, but never strident or piercing. It has presence in the mix and aids in the airiness and space the Caldera presents.

So overall, I find the Caldera to be highly resolving, detailed, but without compromising on body, heft, or dynamism, while providing a liquid smooth midrange and maintaining the musicality ZMFs have become known for. Oh, and they look pretty good too :wink:

0000_0000_000000003-2.jpg

Now, as for how it compares to the Atrium...in terms of technical performance, I find the Caldera more resolving than the Atrium, which is no slouch itself when it comes to detail retrieval. I think the stage of the Caldera is a bit larger than the Atrium’s. Perhaps the Caldera's stage is a little bit wider than it is high, but the Atrium’s soundstage is very large on its own and well-rounded in terms of its dimensions.

As far as frequency response, as you might expect, the Atrium doesn’t have the sub-bass detail and extension of the Caldera, but provides very satisfying mid-bass body and slam. Something notable in my chain, I find the Atrium to be significantly more mid-forward than the Caldera, which really makes vocals / strings / guitar / piano pop in a mix. Full mesh notwithstanding, Atrium is a warmer headphone overall with a more relaxed upper register. It really is a nice, wooly, comforting listen, warm and inviting.

The place where the two headphones differ most significantly is their timbre. The bio cellulose driver of the Atrium gives it that lush, organic, “analog” quality that is extremely addictive. Doing the listening for this write up, one thing that jumped out to me is how the Atrium makes the attack and reverberations of percussion sound so lifelike and satisfying. I also find the decay and more forward midrange is also a boon to those genres that emphasize vocal performance and stringed instruments.

On the other hand, the driver of the Caldera gives the music that buttery smoothness and liquidity in its timbre, well-balanced and easy on the ears, I could listen to this headphone for hours and hours on end. Pair that with its impressive technicalities and full-bodied, physicality and dynamics, it makes for a compelling package. Just imagine liquid butter being shot into your ear with a firehose, and you’ll have a good understanding of where the Caldera stands (joking, sorta).

I think these headphones can definitely coexist in one’s headphone collection, they are clearly both TOTL offerings. If either one of these headphones existed without the other, I would tell you “I could live with just this headphone the rest of my life.” But of course, Zach has blessed us with two amazing headphones, so if you can only own one, which one is right for you?

I think if you crave resolution, clarity, a liquid midrange and bass extension, and you have the proper amplification, then the Caldera will definitely please. If you have heard other ZMF biocellulose headphones and are drawn to their lush, organic, analog-esque sound and place a premium on midrange presence, you will get all of that in the Atrium, paired with a huge soundstage and excellent technical performance in its own right.

0000_0000_00000000(40)-3.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2022 at 2:51 PM Post #1,132 of 7,093
The Caldera's also sound really good off of the Aegis!

Aegis.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2022 at 3:26 PM Post #1,133 of 7,093

Since you have the Kingwood Caldera I am curious how the weight is on it relative to other ZMFs. I have the Koa Atrium which is perfectly in my comfort zone weight-wise, and I am curious how the Kingwood compares. Does it strain on your neck during long sessions? I expect this is a headphone I'll want to be wearing for long stretches at a time.

Nov 9, 2022 at 3:30 PM Post #1,134 of 7,093
The Caldera's also sound really good off of the Aegis as well!

Psshhh midfi garbage.

Since you have the Kingwood Caldera I am curious how the weight is on it relative to other ZMFs. I have the Koa Atrium which is perfectly in my comfort zone weight-wise, and I am curious how the Kingwood compares. Does it strain on your neck during long sessions? I expect this is a headphone I'll want to be wearing for long stretches at a time.

This one weighs 606g. It has the crescent strap as well. I personally haven't found it fatiguing to wear for long periods of time.

Nov 9, 2022 at 3:33 PM Post #1,135 of 7,093
Nov 9, 2022 at 4:30 PM Post #1,136 of 7,093
I’ve been living with the Caldera for a little over a week now, thought I’d share some early impressions and some brief comparisons to the Atrium, which has been my daily driver headphone since launch. I thought that might be more helpful than reiterating what others have already said so eloquently. Worth noting that my Atrium has the full mesh in front of the driver. DAC in my headphone chain is the Audial S5. I’ve listened on a mix of my 6528 OTL and my transformer-coupled 6A5G SET amplifier.

Caldera with 6528 OTL.

0000_0000_0000000024-2.jpg

Atrium with 6A5G SET.

0000_0000_00000000(46)-2.jpg

Starting off with some general Caldera observations, what immediately struck me when I put on the Caldera for the first time was its clarity and resolution. Of the ZMFs that I have in my stable, it is the most technically impressive. It has a huge head-enveloping soundstage, precise imaging, airiness, all without sounding sterile, dry, or “revealing”. It presents details in the mix in the most enjoyable and musical way, it’s a celebration of the nuances of the music, not a dissection.

In terms of bass performance, the Caldera has that thick, weighty, bass that surrounds and shakes your skull. It isn’t overly prominent, it is there when called for and supplied with ease. It’s punchy and dynamic, it has a physicality to it that makes the music lifelike and convincing.

The midrange of the Caldera isn’t forward to my ears, it is well-balanced with the rest of the frequency spectrum, but again, very detailed and natural. I think the best descriptor for it is liquid, it has a smooth, flowing quality to it, very easy on the ears while being simultaneously textured and transparent, aided by the Caldera’s technical prowess.

The treble of the Caldera is perhaps very slightly relaxed, but more prominent I would say than other ZMFs I have owned. It has shimmer and sizzle, but never strident or piercing. It has presence in the mix and aids in the airiness and space the Caldera presents.

So overall, I find the Caldera to be highly resolving, detailed, but without compromising on body, heft, or dynamism, while providing a liquid smooth midrange and maintaining the musicality ZMFs have become known for. Oh, and they look pretty good too :wink:

0000_0000_000000003-2.jpg

Now, as for how it compares to the Atrium...in terms of technical performance, I find the Caldera more resolving than the Atrium, which is no slouch itself when it comes to detail retrieval. I think the stage of the Caldera is a bit larger than the Atrium’s. Perhaps the Caldera's stage is a little bit wider than it is high, but the Atrium’s soundstage is very large on its own and well-rounded in terms of its dimensions.

As far as frequency response, as you might expect, the Atrium doesn’t have the sub-bass detail and extension of the Caldera, but provides very satisfying mid-bass body and slam. Something notable in my chain, I find the Atrium to be significantly more mid-forward than the Caldera, which really makes vocals / strings / guitar / piano pop in a mix. Full mesh notwithstanding, Atrium is a warmer headphone overall with a more relaxed upper register. It really is a nice, wooly, comforting listen, warm and inviting.

The place where the two headphones differ most significantly is their timbre. The bio cellulose driver of the Atrium gives it that lush, organic, “analog” quality that is extremely addictive. Doing the listening for this write up, one thing that jumped out to me is how the Atrium makes the attack and reverberations of percussion sound so lifelike and satisfying. I also find the decay and more forward midrange is also a boon to those genres that emphasize vocal performance and stringed instruments.

On the other hand, the driver of the Caldera gives the music that buttery smoothness and liquidity in its timbre, well-balanced and easy on the ears, I could listen to this headphone for hours and hours on end. Pair that with its impressive technicalities and full-bodied, physicality and dynamics, it makes for a compelling package. Just imagine liquid butter being shot into your ear with a firehose, and you’ll have a good understanding of where the Caldera stands (joking, sorta).

I think these headphones can definitely coexist in one’s headphone collection, they are clearly both TOTL offerings. If either one of these headphones existed without the other, I would tell you “I could live with just this headphone the rest of my life.” But of course, Zach has blessed us with two amazing headphones, so if you can only own one, which one is right for you?

I think if you crave resolution, clarity, a liquid midrange and bass extension, and you have the proper amplification, then the Caldera will definitely please. If you have heard other ZMF biocellulose headphones and are drawn to their lush, organic, analog-esque sound and place a premium on midrange presence, you will get all of that in the Atrium, paired with a huge soundstage and excellent technical performance in its own right.

0000_0000_00000000(40)-3.jpg
Do you think it’s more mid forward than verite?

Nov 9, 2022 at 4:42 PM Post #1,137 of 7,093
Do you think it’s more mid forward than verite?

I don't have the VO on hand for a direct head-to-head, just the VC. Happy to compare to VC and let you know, otherwise I will defer to someone a demo unit and VO.

Nov 9, 2022 at 5:00 PM Post #1,139 of 7,093
I don't have the VO on hand for a direct head-to-head, just the VC. Happy to compare to VC and let you know, otherwise I will defer to someone a demo unit and VO.

Vc mid comparison would be good I used to have one

+1 for a VC comparison (maybe more than just a mid comparison if you have time). That would be appreciated.

Nov 9, 2022 at 5:10 PM Post #1,140 of 7,093
Vc mid comparison would be good I used to have one

+1 for a VC comparison (maybe more than just a mid comparison if you have time). That would be appreciated.

No problem, more in-depth will have to wait until Friday though, I'm at the door for the evening and work all day tomorrow!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back