ZMF Caldera - New Planar Magnetic from ZMF!
Oct 27, 2022 at 11:06 PM Post #871 of 7,609
Zmf recommended cayin to me I’m leaning that way. I think the Aegis isn’t possible for me but I bet I’d like it.
The iha6 is a fantastic amp, and at the discounted bundle price it’s completely unbeatable. You really have to spend over 1.5-2k to do better in solid state I think (and few have as much flexibility with hiZ taps)
I sold my GS-X mini for it and I honestly think it sounds way better with my dynamic ZMFs (mini is maybe a bit more resolving but nowhere near as good synergy)

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2022 at 11:35 PM Post #873 of 7,609
Zmf recommended cayin to me I’m leaning that way. I think the Aegis isn’t possible for me but I bet I’d like it.
I will be doing the IHA 6 review after I do the Aegis review as the Aegis needs to be shipped off to the next person for a review ASAP.

I've not yet had a chance to listen to it with any other ZMF besides the Caldera, but I can say that on the balanced ouput, which the furthest right and has 0.3 ohm output impedance, it absolutely rocks the hell out of the Caldera, and depending upon personal preferences you might like it better than the Aegis for the Caldera.

If you do end up ordering it along with the Caldera, make sure to ask for a cable terminated in 4 pin XLR.

Oct 27, 2022 at 11:36 PM Post #874 of 7,609
I will be doing the IHA 6 review after I do the Aegis review as the Aegis needs to be shipped off to the next person for a review ASAP.

I've not yet had a chance to listen to it with any other ZMF besides the Caldera, but I can say that on the balanced ouput, which the furthest right and has 0.3 ohm output impedance, it absolutely rocks the hell out of the Caldera, and depending upon personal preferences you might like it better than the Aegis for the Caldera.

If you do end up ordering it along with the Caldera, make sure to ask for a cable terminated in 4 pin XLR.
Thank you for the heads up. Also is that cable different from the one that came spare with my vc and atrium?

Oct 27, 2022 at 11:39 PM Post #875 of 7,609
Thank you for the heads up. Also is that cable different from the one that came spare with my vc and atrium?
Nope, same one, though I do feel the 2K cable has an audible improvement over stock. I believe @zach915m mentioned he likes to use a silver cable with the Caldera

Oct 28, 2022 at 2:36 AM Post #876 of 7,609
I'm really excited to hear what the next person has to say about the Aegis! :smirk:

Oct 28, 2022 at 2:53 AM Post #877 of 7,609
My Caldera review

This review was fantastic. Thank you very much. The comparison to the Susvara was minimal but I think, between what I’m reading in this thread and picking up from this review, the differences are clear. The Susvara seems to continue to be the detail and soundstage master. The Caldera, as with every ZMF, seems to have more meat on the bone and a more organic, lively feeling while having the benefits of that planar speed. Maybe not matching the detail or soundstage, but making up for it in pure enjoyment.

Let me know if I’m wrong. Sounds delightful!

Oct 28, 2022 at 3:07 AM Post #878 of 7,609
Let me know if I’m wrong.
Nope, you're pretty much spot on. Both are amazing sounding headphones for different reasons, as you said.

Oct 28, 2022 at 6:51 AM Post #883 of 7,609
We're finally in production for some more units, and more review units will go out soon. Here's the stock models, I promise to post more pictures soon!

Stock Oak - this will be $3199 at release with MSRP of $3499.

_DSC0040.jpg

Golden Coffee Oak, with Coffee Gold grille and rods. $3399 at release, $3699 MSRP. The do not weigh more, as we used aluminum for weight saving on the grille, and matched it to the Coffee gold that matches our proprietary ZMF jacks on the ZMF braided cables.

_DSC0047.jpg

Is the golden oak quartersawn? As somebody who grew up around Frank Lloyd Wright houses full of Mission style furniture, I feel it’s my duty to ask.

Oct 28, 2022 at 7:05 AM Post #884 of 7,609
Is the golden oak quartersawn? As somebody who grew up around Frank Lloyd Wright houses full of Mission style furniture, I feel it’s my duty to ask.
I still need to go into one of those! Been thinking about knocking on someone's door in riverside... Would that be weird?

I asked my wood guy for the most quartered with as many medulliary rays and all that as possible, he did charge me extra for it! He came through pretty well, I've only seen one or two sets that are going toward the rift/flat area.

Did FLR use a lot of oak?

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Oct 28, 2022 at 7:15 AM Post #885 of 7,609
Is there already a price for Europe?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back