ZMF Caldera - New Planar Magnetic from ZMF!
Nov 27, 2022 at 1:38 AM Post #1,786 of 7,128
I see, so it's all going to be stainless grille and rod? I actually prefer that anyway.
For the Kingwood LTD’s, yes. For Oak there is the normal configuration with black hardware or Coffee Gold with Brass hardware.

Nov 27, 2022 at 5:50 AM Post #1,789 of 7,128
Caldera is really quite good for a first attempt at planar from ZMF but I can say that Susvara's position as the most overall well-rounded planar at the top of the food chain is still safe. :relieved:

How long have you had with Caldera?

Nov 27, 2022 at 7:45 AM Post #1,790 of 7,128
Caldera is really quite good for a first attempt at planar from ZMF but I can say that Susvara's position as the most overall well-rounded planar at the top of the food chain is still safe. :relieved:
Thankfully ZMF headphones have a much better warrantee so I’d put my money there everytime

Nov 27, 2022 at 7:49 AM Post #1,791 of 7,128
Thankfully ZMF headphones have a much better warrantee so I’d put my money there everytime
That’s huge for me. I wanted to try out the HEKv2 and the first one I bought had a huge channel imbalance from the factory. If they ship them out like that from the factory, how can I expect it to last?
Now I was able to get them replaced by the retailer, and I have heard Hifimans warranty service is good, but you can’t beat a lifetime warranty

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2022 at 7:54 AM Post #1,792 of 7,128
Figured I’d share some first night impressions. Not sure if you should take me too serious since I’m not well versed on how to explain audio. I was nervous on these headphones like ystejamer because of hearing of laid back mids/upper mids. I agree with monsterzero and others that these are balanced and are a bit more mid forward than vc. I listened to primarily newer stuff last night 90s to 2010. Very impressed on the aggressive sounding guitars and overall meaty sound. I’m not sure if these would be my preference for hip hop didn’t try much but I think atrium might be better for that have to try some more. There’s good bass and it’s like the perfect amount for rock and metal imo. The vocals are very good on here too. It’s like nothing is overpowering with these it just sounds right for me. Very impressed my dac is matrix Sabre pro into the iha6 amp and I’m happy with what I’m hearing. Also on the treble it is more noticeable than the other zmfs I’ve tried on crappy tracks there can be a little sibilance which is welcomed by me but I’d say most of the time it is barely audible and I’d have to pick a horrible track to hear a bit of it.

This is getting kind of long winded but these headphones are very comfortable and I really love the stock wood with black grill look. I think most people will be quite pleased with these headphones and I hope everyone that really wants to try them gets a chance to.

Nov 27, 2022 at 9:34 AM Post #1,793 of 7,128
That would depend upon your definition of "well rounded" I think. They are obviously tuned very differently with different strengths and focuses, not quite an apples & oranges even if they're both planars. That being said I did hear the Susvara briefly on @Monsterzero 's amazing setup, and I do indeed appreciate Susvara's qualities. While they're definitely not my preference they bring amazing detail and air as well as a beautifully wide stage.

Nov 27, 2022 at 9:44 AM Post #1,794 of 7,128
And not to turn this to a Susvara hate thread, but they feel really cheap. The time I borrowed them from a friend for a month was a magical listening month though.

Obviously we vote with our ears and wallets, so to each their own.

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2022 at 10:40 AM Post #1,795 of 7,128
I love my Susvaras to death and I’m sure I’d love the Calderas to death if I had them as well. No need for either side to crap on the other. They’re completely different headphones from what every reviewer has said and aren’t really meant to compete as they offer very different musical presentations

Nov 27, 2022 at 12:28 PM Post #1,796 of 7,128
I ask about the tactility because the LCD-5 has that in spades. And once you get used to headphones that move air so precisely that sounds feel like they're physically hitting your ear, you can't go back. The drum portion I ask about because most more affordable headphones can't render each drum hit - it just sounds blurred together. Hell, even the Meze Elite can't render it well to my ear.

I know it's Caldera thread, but if that what you are looking for, I suggest look at Diana TC for "the cleanest cut" of snare drum sound (that still provide good impact as well, unlike "clean cut" of Hifiman).

Additional note: I love Caldera and I dislike LCD-5 (had them but sold it already). Doesn't mean everyone will have same preference as me of course.

Nov 27, 2022 at 12:41 PM Post #1,797 of 7,128
Our friend @Sajid Amit created a first impressions video for the Caldera even though he quit headphone reviews - that in itself is a big Statement to the quality of the Caldera

Enjoy:

Nov 27, 2022 at 1:08 PM Post #1,798 of 7,128
While they're definitely not my preference they bring amazing detail and air as well as a beautifully wide stage.

and in my case, listeners fatigue in less than an hour every time I use the Susvara. I cant put my finger on the actual cause as I do not find the Susvara to be bright or sibilant like I do with Beyer headphones, nor do I find the clamp to be unbearable like I did with the HD650 and ATH AD2000, but there's something about the Susvara that prevents me from relaxing and enjoying them for an extended listen.

The Susvara and Caldera are two very, very different sounding headphones and like I said in my review I can see where some might prefer the effortless, airy and wide presentation of the Susvara, but I will take the Caldera every single time

Nov 27, 2022 at 1:20 PM Post #1,799 of 7,128
This "intense" problem appear in almost every single TOTL nowadays. Thankfully ZMF doesn't follow the trend.

p.s: From a person who also feel fatigue from Susvara, but I think I just sensitive in certain frequency (treble area) even though Susvara is not harsh/sibilance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back