ZMF Caldera Closed
May 23, 2024 at 5:55 PM Post #721 of 887
The Shedua is marginally harder - but not through Janka really just in the dried weight. So mass is from specific gravity/density vs outright hardness if that makes any sense. So the Shedua might have a slightly more firm sound, but it's all small enough that I'd suggest choosing with your eyes more than anything.

The planar closed back because of driver type I've found to have a little less impact on sound than the Atrium Closed - but that being said, I haven't even made a Blackwood CC yet.
Thanks for your response! I picked the LTE so I think I made the correct choice! I like that look the best. I would love a black one though. Maybe I upgrade if you make a Blackwood. So that’s a hard wood?

May 23, 2024 at 8:11 PM Post #722 of 887
I was just going through our lot the other day. We have some pieces that are just a touch small going to see if we can glue a small veneer on to make them to size and still machine them. Wish me luck.

1716509507376.gif

May 23, 2024 at 9:14 PM Post #723 of 887
Thanks for your response! I picked the LTE so I think I made the correct choice! I like that look the best. I would love a black one though. Maybe I upgrade if you make a Blackwood. So that’s a hard wood?
African Blackwood is an exceptionally hard, dense wood often used for musical instruments (oboes are a good example).

I own a Verité Closed in African Blackwood and the wood “speeds up” the sound of the headphone due to the hardness/density of the wood cups, making the dynamic driver more planar-like. It’s quite remarkable.

Also, it’s a beautiful wood- it appears nearly black unless brightly lit, when the gorgeous wood grain stands out.
(EDIT: And it will show dust really well if highly polished/gloss-laquered, sadly noticeable in my photo below… 😂)

https://www.wood-database.com/african-blackwood/

IMG_3415.jpeg

Last edited:
May 23, 2024 at 11:30 PM Post #724 of 887
African Blackwood is an easy exceptionally hard, dense wood often used for musical instruments (oboes are a good example).

I own a Verité Closed in African Blackwood and the wood “speeds up” the sound of the headphone due to the hardness/density of the wood cups, making the dynamic driver more planar-like. It’s quite remarkable.

Also, it’s a beautiful wood- it appears nearly black unless brightly lit, when the gorgeous wood grain stands out.
(EDIT: And it will show dust really well if highly polished/gloss-laquered, sadly noticeable in my photo below… 😂)

I also have a Classical guitar with African blackwood back and Spruce top, the Sound is rich smooth and powerful... the wood is also heavy
This picture was at the Luthiers shop duringthebuild, my attempt to snap the strung up guitar not very successful too many reflections
1000122172.jpg

Last edited:
May 23, 2024 at 11:35 PM Post #725 of 887
I also have a Classical guitar with African blackwood back and Spruce top, the Sound is rich smooth and powerful... the wood is also heavy
Indeed, great point. My Verité Closeds are equipped with a Co-Pilot pad for a reason, but with that they are slightly heavy (they are probably well over 500 grams), but very comfortable.

May 23, 2024 at 11:53 PM Post #726 of 887
African Blackwood is an exceptionally hard, dense wood often used for musical instruments (oboes are a good example).

IMG_3415.jpeg
Very beautiful headphones! Would love one of those when made for the CC!

May 24, 2024 at 12:51 AM Post #727 of 887
This picture was at the Luthiers shop duringthebuild, my attempt to snap the strung up guitar not very successful too many reflections
1000122172.jpg
Spectacular-looking instrument- congratulations! That is lovely indeed.

May 24, 2024 at 1:30 AM Post #728 of 887
Indeed, great point. My Verité Closeds are equipped with a Co-Pilot pad for a reason, but with that they are slightly heavy (they are probably well over 500 grams), but very comfortable.
IIRC, I believe our Blackwood VCs are actually well over 600g even. But, oh so worth it.

I really don't think I could save my wallet from a Blackwood CC. Maybe when the custom shop opens its doors...

May 24, 2024 at 2:04 AM Post #729 of 887
I always wondered how ZMF sold their African Blackwood LTD for as little as they do (comparatively) considering how much the wood can cost.

I don't want to think about how much that guitar might have cost. I've seen back and side sets without any blemishes go for $1200.

After you factor in the craftsmanship to actually build it......

Last edited:
May 24, 2024 at 7:33 AM Post #730 of 887
1000122172.jpg

That is just beautiful. Is that sapwood in the middle? If so, well done by the luthier.

May 24, 2024 at 11:31 AM Post #731 of 887
The CC dethrone every headphone I have ever heard, and it's not really even close for me.

They do have a very special synergy with the Aegis, and I believe my warmer DAC (Sonnet Morpheus) is playing a big role with that synergy as well.

With the system I am using, they have enough weight, impact and "fun", to totally satisfy my preferences, and then throw in their insane speed, detail and staging and it's pure magic. I want for nothing and listen in total awe. I also definitely start moving to groove if it's there.

I can't wait until you hear them with the Aegis!
Yeah it really is so good. What mesh are you using with the Aegis? Are you going off the 1/4 on L usually? I’ve mostly been using the thinner black mesh with the Bokeh protein pads.

I’ve said this elsewhere, but I have the Burson Soloist GT here from the Headfi review tour and that has a real synergy too. So if anyone has a Burson they can def feel good about picking up a CC. So far lower output impedance settings seem to work best with this headphone for my personal tastes. With the Caldera Open I loved medium and high output impedances often times.

I saw someone comparing the CC, AC and Bokeh. I’ve been doing this a lot lately too because ultimately I’ll write up a CC review. The CC is my new favorite because I love that planar separation and detail. Out of the bunch the CC changes the most dramatically between amps and settings which is kind of shocking. For example when I tried it at first on my HA-300 it was sounding a bit muffled up top, but then I plugged it into the small but mighty Nitsch Pietus Maximus and the midrange and treble cleaned up perfectly. I later discovered that I like much less mesh damping on the higher impedance amps. Anyway I could go on forever, but this is all to say that it is extremely tunable as usual for a ZMF.

May 24, 2024 at 11:44 AM Post #732 of 887
Yeah it really is so good. What mesh are you using with the Aegis? Are you going off the 1/4 on L usually? I’ve mostly been using the thinner black mesh with the Bokeh protein pads.

I’ve said this elsewhere, but I have the Burson Soloist GT here from the Headfi review tour and that has a real synergy too. So if anyone has a Burson they can def feel good about picking up a CC. So far lower output impedance settings seem to work best with this headphone for my personal tastes. With the Caldera Open I loved medium and high output impedances often times.

I saw someone comparing the CC, AC and Bokeh. I’ve been doing this a lot lately too because ultimately I’ll write up a CC review. The CC is my new favorite because I love that planar separation and detail. Out of the bunch the CC changes the most dramatically between amps and settings which is kind of shocking. For example when I tried it at first on my HA-300 it was sounding a bit muffled up top, but then I plugged it into the small but mighty Nitsch Pietus Maximus and the midrange and treble cleaned up perfectly. I later discovered that I like much less mesh damping on the higher impedance amps. Anyway I could go on forever, but this is all to say that it is extremely tunable as usual for a ZMF.
I am using the stock configuration (pads and mesh) for the CC, and 1/4" L with Aegis.

May 24, 2024 at 12:38 PM Post #733 of 887

Reading multiple reviews on the CC, there seems to be a consensus that the CC is better off with low-Z outputs, whereas the AC/AO is better with high-Z outputs. CO not as clear.

Of course everything will depend on the source chain at the end of the day, but this seems to be the general trend.

May 24, 2024 at 12:49 PM Post #734 of 887
Reading multiple reviews on the CC, there seems to be a consensus that the CC is better off with low-Z outputs, whereas the AC/AO is better with high-Z outputs. CO not as clear.

Of course everything will depend on the source chain at the end of the day, but this seems to be the general trend.
Many are actually preferring medium as well as low Z, with the CC and Aegis. This makes since to me, seeing as it's an easier to drive planar.

Of course though it depends on preferences and gear in chain as well.

May 24, 2024 at 12:59 PM Post #735 of 887
I always wondered how ZMF sold their African Blackwood LTD for as little as they do (comparatively) considering how much the wood can cost.

I don't want to think about how much that guitar might have cost. I've seen back and side sets without any blemishes go for $1200.

After you factor in the craftsmanship to actually build it......
$8000

Users who are viewing this thread

Back