ZMF Caldera Closed
May 26, 2024 at 11:35 AM Post #751 of 887
ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
May 26, 2024 at 11:53 AM Post #752 of 887
IMG_1510.jpg

Thoughts/Impressions on the Caldera Closed

Closed headphone creation is a tough business yet here we have ZMF continuing to create and innovate in the closed headphone space. To start, I love the look of the headphones, they are beautiful works of art and the sculpting of the cup is fantastic. To me the cups look like play buttons which is very fitting since these headphones make you want to press play on music as fast as possible. The headphones do have some weight to them but the weight is evenly distributed by the headband/crescent strap system so there was no issues with wearing these for a long time.

This headphone is very customizable. The amount of options feels like going into a Blaze Pizza and and seeing a cornucopia of toppings to create an amazing pizza. There are four different pads to choose from, the Caldera hybrid (top perf only), Bokeh protein (top perf only), Caldera suede (top perf only) - this is the only one I have not tried yet, and Caldera thick (top perf only). There are currently two different tuning meshes as well, red which is the stock mesh and black which is a thinner mesh. If you are daring you can even run the headphone with no mesh.

Initially I started with the stock configuration (red mesh, hybrid pads), and while they sounded great, I could not resist wanting to tinker with the different pads and mesh. The thick pad provided the vocals/mids the farthest away but provided the widest soundstage with the most depth of sound. I also noticed an increased thickness to the sound. The hybrid pads were the middle ground between the three where the vocals were brought closer while the soundstage was decreased slightly with a smidge less depth. These pads had less of the thickness to the sound but more increased clarity and speed, definitely a middle ground between the thick and protein pads. The protein pad brought the vocals the closest while it had the most intimate soundstage, but the protein pads were the ones with the most of everything, more slam, more treble energy at the cost of the least amount of depth of sound. Those are the pads when you want just more intensity. They brought the most clarity and speed of the three pads. The pad findings were true when running the black mesh as well. The difference with the black mesh is increased treble energy. I even tried running them without any tuning mesh, which gives the most treble energy, and even loved listening to them that way but could see how that it might be to much energy for some. The great thing is you can modify the sound to change your mood very quickly. This is due to the mesh having adhesive making it to where you can get them on and off fairly quickly and couple that with the fact that pads are easy and quick to change. For now I have been leaning towards the black mesh with the protein pads being my go-to. Cant really go wrong with any combination though.

The Caldera Closed provides good bass response with more of a mid bass focus compared to the Atrium Closed where the sub bass is the focus. They reach down low but just don't have the quantity of the Atrium Closed. The soundstage for a closed back is very impressive and of course isn't as wide as an open headphone, but I didn't feel claustrophobic listening to these and I don't believe anybody who listens to these will either. The mids still retain that ZMF magic while the treble is nice and extended. Of course as stated above you can tweak to your hearts content with the tuning meshes and pads. The imaging was fantastic and I could pinpoint sounds with ease. The resolution was very good as well. From memory I believe the Caldera Open had a little more resolution but these headphones are no slouch in that area. The Caldera Closed is just a fantastic headphone that provides a fun listen that lets you get lost in the music. It is another ZMF masterpiece and worth being added to any collection.

Attachments

• IMG_1540.jpg
    IMG_1540.jpg
    806.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1565.jpg
    IMG_1565.jpg
    925.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1533.jpg
    IMG_1533.jpg
    766.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1514.jpg
    IMG_1514.jpg
    496.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1517.jpg
    IMG_1517.jpg
    676.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1495.jpg
    IMG_1495.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1535.jpg
    IMG_1535.jpg
    623.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1559.jpg
    IMG_1559.jpg
    807.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1518.jpg
    IMG_1518.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1531.jpg
    IMG_1531.jpg
    687.7 KB · Views: 0
May 26, 2024 at 12:55 PM Post #753 of 887
IMG_1510.jpg

Closed headphone creation is a tough business yet here we have ZMF continuing to create and innovate in the closed headphone space. To start, I love the look of the headphones, they are beautiful works of art and the sculpting of the cup is fantastic. To me the cups look like play buttons which is very fitting since these headphones make you want to press play on music as fast as possible. The headphones do have some weight to them but the weight is evenly distributed by the headband/crescent strap system so there was no issues with wearing these for a long time.

This headphone is very customizable. The amount of options feels like going into a Blaze Pizza and and seeing a cornucopia of toppings to create an amazing pizza. There are four different pads to choose from, the Caldera hybrid (top perf only), Bokeh protein (top perf only), Caldera suede (top perf only) - this is the only one I have not tried yet, and Caldera thick (top perf only). There are currently two different tuning meshes as well, red which is the stock mesh and black which is a thinner mesh. If you are daring you can even run the headphone with no mesh.

Initially I started with the stock configuration (red mesh, hybrid pads), and while they sounded great, I could not resist wanting to tinker with the different pads and mesh. The thick pad provided the vocals/mids the farthest away but provided the widest soundstage with the most depth of sound. I also noticed an increased thickness to the sound. The hybrid pads were the middle ground between the three where the vocals were brought closer while the soundstage was decreased slightly with a smidge less depth. These pads had less of the thickness to the sound but more increased clarity and speed, definitely a middle ground between the thick and protein pads. The protein pad brought the vocals the closest while it had the most intimate soundstage, but the protein pads were the ones with the most of everything, more slam, more treble energy at the cost of the least amount of depth of sound. Those are the pads when you want just more intensity. They brought the most clarity and speed of the three pads. The pad findings were true when running the black mesh as well. The difference with the black mesh is increased treble energy. I even tried running them without any tuning mesh, which gives the most treble energy, and even loved listening to them that way but could see how that it might be to much energy for some. The great thing is you can modify the sound to change your mood very quickly. This is due to the mesh having adhesive making it to where you can get them on and off fairly quickly and couple that with the fact that pads are easy and quick to change. For now I have been leaning towards the black mesh with the protein pads being my go-to. Cant really go wrong with any combination though.

The Caldera Closed provides good bass response with more of a mid bass focus compared to the Atrium Closed where the sub bass is the focus. They reach down low but just don't have the quantity of the Atrium Closed. The soundstage for a closed back is very impressive and of course isn't as wide as an open headphone, but I didn't feel claustrophobic listening to these and I don't believe anybody who listens to these will either. The mids still retain that ZMF magic while the treble is nice and extended. Of course as stated above you can tweak to your hearts content with the tuning meshes and pads. The imaging was fantastic and I could pinpoint sounds with ease. The resolution was very good as well. From memory I believe the Caldera Open had a little more resolution but these headphones are no slouch in that area. The Caldera Closed is just a fantastic headphone that provides a fun listen that lets you get lost in the music. It is another ZMF masterpiece and worth being added to any collection.
Mid-bass focused Caldera closed and sub-bass focused Atrium? Are you sure you didn't mean the other way around?

May 26, 2024 at 6:01 PM Post #755 of 887
IMG_1510.jpg

The Caldera Closed is the best sounding headphones I have ever heard, I have heard many and still own some, including the HIFIMAN Shangri-la Jr, HE-R10P, HE1000SE, HIFIMAN Edition XS and earlier when I first discovered the magic of plannars the Fostex RP40, My Caldera Open is currently under repairs for some booboo I made so can't do side by side. But I would say the CC is able to retrieve more detail, paints a more holographic image, I bet if reviewers are a bit more objective they will confess it is more detailed than even the HIFIMAN Susvara, because part of detail retrieval to me is the ability to recreate the original performance as closely as possible, but we have all been so excited so long about unfocused artifacts of a recording.
One of the recordings that I found to let one evaluate the CC in one music is the Soundtrack for Kevin Spacy's K-Pax
https://na01.safelinks.protection.o...iqxHixRkn7XdnkERFlW+rs8cfid4AvMfE=&reserved=0
This will quickly reveal what a Sonic Marvel the CC is and Kudos 👏 to Zach and team for this truly Stella achievement without charging an astronomical price!
1000122483.jpg

May 27, 2024 at 7:44 AM Post #756 of 887
The Caldera Closed is the best sounding headphones I have ever heard, I have heard many and still own some, including the HIFIMAN Shangri-la Jr, HE-R10P, HE1000SE, HIFIMAN Edition XS and earlier when I first discovered the magic of plannars the Fostex RP40, My Caldera Open is currently under repairs for some booboo I made so can't do side by side. But I would say the CC is able to retrieve more detail, paints a more holographic image, I bet if reviewers are a bit more objective they will confess it is more detailed than even the HIFIMAN Susvara, because part of detail retrieval to me is the ability to recreate the original performance as closely as possible, but we have all been so excited so long about unfocused artifacts of a recording.
One of the recordings that I found to let one evaluate the CC in one music is the Soundtrack for Kevin Spacy's K-Pax
https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https://www.qobuz.com/us-en/album/k-pax-edward-shearmur/0004400161922&data=05|02||ce9124e3ced046a4b42808dc7c60b9bc|84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa|1|0|638522002081864156|Unknown|TWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0=|0|||&sdata=v3k93aKqPfiqxHixRkn7XdnkERFlW+rs8cfid4AvMfE=&reserved=0
This will quickly reveal what a Sonic Marvel the CC is and Kudos 👏 to Zach and team for this truly Stella achievement without charging an astronomical price!
The CC are it for me too, and are absolutely incredible in every way.

Last edited:
May 27, 2024 at 7:55 AM Post #757 of 887
https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https://www.qobuz.com/us-en/album/k-pax-edward-shearmur/0004400161922&data=05|02||ce9124e3ced046a4b42808dc7c60b9bc|84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa|1|0|638522002081864156|Unknown|TWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0=|0|||&sdata=v3k93aKqPfiqxHixRkn7XdnkERFlW+rs8cfid4AvMfE=&reserved=0
This will quickly reveal what a Sonic Marvel the CC is and Kudos 👏 to Zach and team for this truly Stella achievement without charging an astronomical price! 1000122483.jpg
Absolutely fantastic headphones indeed. Realistic with good timbre and detail retrieval. I would also pick the Caldera (closed or open) over the Susvara, but sayin the CC is more detailed than the Susvara IMO is just a bit misleading. The CC is also a bit behind the CO in this regard, but this doesn't take away anything from the CC's greatness.

May 27, 2024 at 1:43 PM Post #759 of 887
For those who have heard the Meze Elite, is the CC with say the thick pads as tonally thick and textured? How would it compare in this area?

I’m still on the protein pads (I really should swap soon but I’m having too much fun:wink:) - the CC has a very full texture, like all ZMF headphones. I do also have the Elite (angled Alcantara pads). They are both very smooth and relaxed listen. The CC is more “weighty” while the Elite is more “delicate”, but they both offer a very smooth listen. The CC have a tad more energy. The Elite with Alcantara space offer great spatial presentation, but the CC have some magic in how holographic the soundstage sounds.

Last edited:
May 27, 2024 at 1:49 PM Post #760 of 887
I’m still on the protein pads (I really should swap soon but I’m having too much fun:wink:) - the CC has a very full texture, like all ZMF headphones. I do also have the Elite (angled Alcantara pads). They are both very smooth and relaxed listen. The CC is more “weighty” while the Elite is more “delicate”, but they are both offer a very smooth listen. The CC have a tad more energy. The Elite with Alcantara space offer great spatial presentation, but the CC have some magic in how holographic the soundstage sound.
Thanks. Looking to trade a 4 month old 1266 TC in mint condition for a CC. So- anyone not happy with CC- please PM me.

Last edited:
May 27, 2024 at 4:59 PM Post #764 of 887
So is the CC weighter, thicker, denser, darker than the CO? I read it was a bit thinner in the mids...
Weightier? No.
Thicker? Not really. Maybe a little.
Denser? Maybe a little.
Darker? Yes.
Thinner mids on CC? Not thinner, but perhaps a little less pronounced compared to CO.

CC has a little more mid-bass followed by a slightly bigger dip plus a little more 'damped' sounding treble. The combination of these perceptually results in a slightly darker and little denser feeling, but to my ears CC and CO are equally weighty. CO a bit clearer and airier, more technical and punchier. CC darker and warmer. CC could be more appealing to someone who finds the CO too clean/energetic and prefers a warmer and darker presentation. CO for those who want ultimate balance, technicalities and an airier sound.
Mind you, the adjectives I used here are only true in direct comparison between CO and CC. I don't consider CO bright or CC dark in general. Both are fantastic and very capable headphones. To me the choice comes down to open vs. closed. If you need isolation: CC. If you don't: CO. But that's just me.

May 28, 2024 at 12:06 AM Post #765 of 887
Weightier? No.
Thicker? Not really. Maybe a little.
Denser? Maybe a little.
Darker? Yes.
Thinner mids on CC? Not thinner, but perhaps a little less pronounced compared to CO.

CC has a little more mid-bass followed by a slightly bigger dip plus a little more 'damped' sounding treble. The combination of these perceptually results in a slightly darker and little denser feeling, but to my ears CC and CO are equally weighty. CO a bit clearer and airier, more technical and punchier. CC darker and warmer. CC could be more appealing to someone who finds the CO too clean/energetic and prefers a warmer and darker presentation. CO for those who want ultimate balance, technicalities and an airier sound.
Mind you, the adjectives I used here are only true in direct comparison between CO and CC. I don't consider CO bright or CC dark in general. Both are fantastic and very capable headphones. To me the choice comes down to open vs. closed. If you need isolation: CC. If you don't: CO. But that's just me.
Very helpful. And I get it. The darker slightly wieighier and warmer sound of the CC is due mostly to the dampened treble. In other words- it is not as meaty as a Audeze LCD-4 or 4Z.

Perception by the ears is however to me what really matters.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back