ZMF BOKEH - Closed Back (Semi-Portable)
Jan 3, 2024 at 6:47 PM Post #1,066 of 2,348
Anyone know what number of orders they've shipped? Or how to find out what your own number would be out of the 250?

I'm not expecting mine for a while, as I ordered quite late, I'm just curious. Can't wait for mine :)

Jan 3, 2024 at 7:13 PM Post #1,068 of 2,348
Back to work? Feeling the loss of the holidays and light work schedule?

NO PROBLEM! Just fire up the old Wolfson Ipod 5.5 (modded with a new battery and rock box!) and listen to some warm Bokah tunes while delving into neglected files.

IMG_2517.jpeg

Jan 3, 2024 at 9:49 PM Post #1,070 of 2,348
Omega1990 ZMF Bokeh Review part 2
Comparisons

Now this is where the bulk of the review is going to take place. There is a ton to cover here. For the first portion of these comparisons with the bokeh compared to other zmf closed backs I will use the stock protein pads and burst mesh, after that for two comparisons the bokeh will be using the hybrid pads and burst mesh (I will explain why when I get there) and the last comparison will be using the stock setup once more. I am still using the element 3 to remain consistent throughout the review.

Bokeh vs Atticus

We first start off with what I think is the most important comparison. Like when the atrium closed was being released, the eikon was being discontinued. Now the bokeh is being released while the Atticus is being discontinued. Potential buyers may be wondering if they should grab a new Atticus while they can or go ahead and get the bokeh. The Atticus is my second favorite headphone ever right after the zmf Aeolus so this one is a bit personal, but no matter how much I enjoy a headphone, I will not be holding back if the bokeh does something better. Now the first and imo most immediate and consistent difference between the bokeh and the atticus, eikon and verite closed is that the bokeh is easier to driver with an impedance of 80ohms vs other zmf dynamics that use 300hms. To me this translated to being that it takes the least amount of effort for the bokeh to sound dynamic. The next important part is that the bokeh in stock form does sound in many ways like an improved Atticus with some key differences for the Atticus enthusiasts.

For this comparison I used the stock ori lambskin pads on my atticus. Compared to the bokeh, the atticus is darker in the highs. The mids for both are present and intimate, but vocals shout more on the bokeh (bokeh is not a shouty headphone in isolation though). Bass on the atticus gives up some subbass for more midbass bloom. The bokeh has better extension in the bass and the subbass adds extra presence to the overall bass to my ears vs the atticus. The atticus was never a headphone that focused on all the details in a recording, but even though the bokeh is more transparent and its better at presenting more various nuances in the music, I still feel generally as emotionally engaged on the bokeh as I am on the atticus which surprised me. They are both very similar, but the bokeh is a bit thinner sounding than the atticus. Soundstage wise they are both on the small size, but the bokeh, due to the dampening system had better control. This creates a more immersive presentation over the atticus. The bokeh benefits from the innovations made since the atticus consistently showing more control over every track I play vs the atticus. Bokeh has better subbass rumble vs atticus which wants more impact over deep rumble. The bokehs sense of bass punch may be smoother, cleaner and a little less pronounced than the atticus but I personally still like the extra direct punchy sound of the atticus.

The bokeh is more orderly about how it images with better precision. When sounds sweep or travel across from left to right or vice versa the bokeh is more seamless in handling complex transitions. Overall execution of the sound is more simplified in its imaging and a bit rougher on the atticus. The atticus is tuned to be more fun at the expense of clarity and notes kind of touch one another at times, but that’s part of its charm for me. The atticus is still more musical while the bokeh is generally better balanced. The atticus still has a more direct authoritative attack over the bokeh (if you remove the mesh on the bokeh it does sound more direct and raw). The atticus however gets away with its direct attack to my ears because of how musical it sounds vs another headphone I will mention that when it attacks, its too fatiguing (more on that one much later). Since the bokeh is more transparent and cleaner, the staging and images feel more holographic in comparison to the atticus. The atticus is still warmer imo due to the darker treble plus greater midbass and lower midrange vs the bokeh. I still really like the atticus but the bokeh is a well thought out successor to the atticus that tries to maintain some of the things I love about the atticus while trying to move forward and offer more technical performance for its price which is something critics have said zmfs lacks. While I never felt zmf headphones truly lacked technical performance, I’ve felt zmf tries to balance the technical and musical sides while having great build at a fair price and that improves in overall value with the bokeh. The atticus that I have are made with African blackwood so there is a noticeable weight increase compared to the bokeh. The solid pads on the atticus also create a hotspot around my ears faster than the bokehs pads which are partially perforated against my head. Since the bokeh has the atrium dampening system you can hear far less resonances than the atticus. If there are moments when a resonant echo occurs on the bokeh, I think it has more to do with the recording than the headphone.

The bokeh is crispier and snappier than the atticus. While the atticus is sometimes forgiving for being musical, the bokeh is sometimes forgiving by being more overall smoother. I could listen to either of them all day. The bokeh has a more focused and resolving sound over the atticus and I like that the bokeh pays tribute to the atticus by focusing on the music despite the additional resolving capabilities. The technical improvements are noticeable across the board at the expense of the richness and darkness of the atticus for a more balanced approach that tilts warm.

It’s nice to hear that the bokeh is a proper successor to one of my favorite headphones. Is it an upgrade? On the technical side and frequency extension, yes no doubt about it. If I was to assume the atticus is a more special niche experience, then the bokeh is more of a universal atticus. That is, I feel the bokeh would be enjoyed by a wider range of customer vs the atticus, You really gotta be into that thicker fun sound if you want the atticus. The bokeh maintains important traits of the atticus while bringing improvements to its overall execution of sound. Lastly the bokehs lcp driver shares a lot of timbre qualities with the atticus that uses a tpe driver.

Bokeh vs Eikon

For this comparison I used the stock eikon lambskin pads on my eikon. The eikon uses a biocellulose driver giving it that extra special quality in the timbre department vs the tpe driver of the atticus. It just sounds so natural. The eikon also has better subbass extension than the atticus, but with less emphasis of midbass than the atticus. The eikon’s treble is also more resonant and present than other zmfs to my ears. The stage of the eikon is bigger than the atticus and a little wider than the bokeh, but the bokehs stage is more holographic. Vocals are still more natural and real on the eikon but the tuning of the bokeh makes its take on vocals very natural in its own way. The overall sound is more intimate on the bokeh while music is less in your face on the eikon so that’s something to consider. A distinct difference is going to be in the treble. The bokehs treble is very present but unlike the eikon, the bokeh is smoother while the eikon has treble that resonates and splashes more. Cymbals can get a bit hot on the eikon but the bokeh can play cymbals in a more refined way. The bass region is also interesting. Like the atrium closed the bokeh tries to split the difference and keep subbass extension while emphasizing more midbass than the eikon. You could pad roll the bokeh to the hybrid pads to make the bass more even if you prefer it that way though.

The bokeh continues showing it has better control over its imaging than the eikon. The vocals do shout a bit more on the eikon imo vs the bokeh. Even though the eikons imaging is admirable, the bokeh still sounds more seamless and orderly, with a cleaner background. In terms of resolution, it is a close call. Despite the bokeh having a cleaner sound, the eikon is about equal in overall resolution, so its nice that the bokeh punches above its price. The eikon plays well as a genre generalist being an early example of a zmf neutral like the auteur. The bokeh also does well as a generalist even in stock form. Even though the bokeh is warmer than the eikon to my ears, the bokeh has the technical ability to still pull off being a pretty good all-rounder. Detail is also on par between them but I have to really focus with the eikon to know that. What I mean is that the bokeh makes showing detail look easy since it has the dampening system. Music also has more weight on the bokeh vs the eikon. The eikon sounds rougher around the edge’s vs the bokeh which is generally smoother. Since the eikon reflects more resonances in the cups some users may prefer that for classical music for that chamber or concert hall effect over the bokeh which removes resonances. On the flip side the bokeh knows how to rock out more, and sounds better with metal and punk music if I had to be pickier with genres. The eikon’s more even-tempered bass did meld better with edm and electronic music but you can get a similar take on bass by switching to the hybrid pads on the bokeh if the midbass is too much. The bokeh also has better layering than the atticus and eikon. Even without the resonances on the bokeh it still does a good job of showing some sense of a concert hall since it has a cleaner sense of depth.

My eikon uses a much older chassis design, with rods that have no notches on them. The chassis is also made with aluminum which is thicker and much heavier than the bokeh, so I could listen to the bokeh for a longer period of time. The solid eikon pads like the atticus creates heat around my ears faster than the bokeh. The mids are debatable due to preferences. Do you prefer the lush textures of the biocellulose eikon? Or do you want less of that lushness and have a weighty smoother bokeh using the lcp driver?

Bokeh vs Verite Closed (using solid universe lambskin pads)

Even against a zmf flagship, I think the bokeh does an admirable job. I do not own an atrium closed yet, so I cannot say how they compare directly. The first flagship closed back from zmf is the verite closed. While the bokeh feels transparent and well separated, the vc sounds like a new layer of clarity has appeared. Things are more crystalline clear on the vc vs the bokeh. Vocals are more present to me on the vc vs the bokeh. The vc also has better imaging and while the bokeh does an admirable job of depth it won’t go as far as the vc. The vc like the eikon comes off as a little wider in stage. The vc is also faster than the bokeh and even though the bokeh uses the dampening system to remove more resonances than the vc, somehow the vc has better layering than the bokeh. The vc has always to my ears sounded like a planar/dynamic hybrid. In comparison the bokeh sounds more like a proper dynamic headphone in timbre. The vc uses a Vapor Deposed Beryllium driver which reminds me of focal headphones in that they show off detail, resolution, and speed. Thanks, to the vc tuning though, they don’t sound as fatiguing as a focal to my ears, but the vc are still more metallic in some ways than most other zmfs. While I keep saying how seamless the bokeh generally sounds, the vc is even more seamless in transitions and that extra speed on the vc helps with that. The bokeh shouts more than the vc which is more mellow sounding overall, but the bokeh is inoffensive with its vocals. What’s impressive to me is that while the vc is noticeably better, the bokeh sounds closer to the vc on the technical side than the atticus and eikon on how it controls the overall sound. While the vc pulls ahead in technical performance the bokeh comes close in many ways for less than half the price. Bass is well extended on the vc and pleasant to listen to with how tight it is, but the bokeh still has perceptibly more midbass. Listening to the vc’s take on resolution does encourage me to listen to higher quality recordings vs other zmfs, but not always as I kinda have a habit of just listening to whatever.

Dynamics are easier to get out of the bokeh since its more efficient but the vc can still show off more refined shifts in dynamics than the more in your face bokeh. The bokeh is also punchier and snappier than the vc. The attack on the vc is more delicate and rounded vs the bokeh. I think the main reason for the vc sounding more mellow is because the vc’s tuning and 300ohm impedance responds better to an otl tube amp. On my zmf deware otl amp, the vc is a lot livelier and more dynamic, but on budget gear you might think the vc is a bit off in some ways. The vc has a special tuning that responds better to otl amps imo. Vc pads like all previous comparisons get warmer around my ears vs the bokeh. On solids state amps the vc sounds too polite and may not be an ideal choice vs the bokeh which is more budget friendly. On an otl amp the vc is its own end game experience. For the most part the vc sounds ok on the element 3, but its performance may leave some listeners wondering why does it have a much higher price tag than the bokeh. It really needs an otl amp imo. Like the eikon, the vc is thinner than the bokeh when it comes to the weight of the music. The treble is also mellower on the vc vs the bokeh which has a more evenly present and louder treble probably due to impedance differences. Personally, I did not think the impedance difference mattered so much when comparing the bokeh to the atticus and eikon, but here its very noticeable why this difference matters.

I feel in isolation the bokeh is very impressive in what it does as it brings higher performance from zmf to a much lower cost than its flagships. The bokeh overall has this more focused and actively engaging in your face sound vs the vc which while still at times is even more focused than the bokeh, the vc’s mellowness and tuning is a more colored sound to my ears. The presentation might be seen as more basic on the bokeh vs the vc which has an even more holographic sound. While the small soundstage and in your face attitude of the bokeh shows off details very easily than the more distant sounding vc, the vc is still more detailed and more resolving overall. Still, coming as close to the vc as the bokeh does makes me very excited about zmfs future as the bokeh is raising the bar imo. By having an entry level headphone that does as much as the bokeh is doing, I think some customers will now expect the rest of the lineup to do even more. The bokeh’s lcp driver and use of the dampening system shows a lot of potential.

Comparisons to headphones that are tuned close to the Harman curve

Ok so since this headphone using hybrid pads gets me closer to Harman than any other zmf I’ve heard, I wanted to know how they compare to other headphones that are tuned to Harman. Now I do not have infinite funds, but with what I have, I managed to get an akg k371 and a focal radiance. They are both basically Harman tuned and I thought they would make for interesting comparisons to the bokeh.

Bokeh (using hybrid pads, burst mesh) vs Focal Radiance

Personally, I thought this would be the most important comparison for the bokeh since not only are they both close to Harman but they are of a similar price. They are both efficient and built well. Now I won’t go into some kind of rant saying whether Harman is good or bad just that it’s a sound I usually feel indifferent toward. I am typically not excited or truly bored by it, I just think it’s simply a generally agreeable sound, but nowhere near my personal ideal. I did acquire my pair of focal radiances second hand as they are discontinued and were made in limited numbers showing a logo of the car company Bentley. My previous experience with focal include the focal stellia and a pair of floor standing focal speakers that I can’t remember the name of but they used beryllium for the drivers. Now after hearing the radiance, I am coming to the conclusion that focal is simply not a brand for me but I respect others who enjoy it. There are distinct problems I have had with focal and that is that they are very fatiguing to me. Both the radiance, stellia, and their speakers gave me headaches. Also, on the radiance while its built well, the pressure it puts on my ears is more present than any headphone I’ve ever worn and its difficult for me to listen to the radiance for even 30 minutes. The manual also mentions not to listen to it for more than 1 hour but I can barely get half way there. I’m sorry but its one of the most painful experiences I’ve had with a headphone up there with the hifiman he6se v1 and the ultrasone edition 10. I even burned in the radiance for 200 hours, but it barely made a difference. The bokeh presented no discomfort at all, and unlike the focal which you can’t bend the headband, if you feel the bokeh clamps too hard, you can watch a video by zmf on how to bend the headband. Basically, I can listen to the bokeh all day with no issues.

These comparisons were difficult to get because the radiance is so difficult to listen to so it took me many tries over the course of a week to get. Even though they are both close to Harman, there were some differences. The radiances take on Harman is very dynamic, super focused but also aggressive. I felt a bit of this on the stellia but the stellia is more mellow and had a better take on stage depth. While the bokeh is very focused sounding on its own, the radiance is even more focused and raw sounding. The bokeh is smoother on the attack but just as in your face about it as the radiance. The bokeh just gets away with it when conveying aggressive sounds probably due to the burst mesh. The radiance also shouts more than the bokeh which is kind of subdued in the presence region when using hybrid pads. The bokeh using hybrid pads brings the upper mids down a bit and to my ears, vocals sound more like they’re in a room, while the radiance sounds better for live recorded music. Both the radiance and bokeh have a small stage but I can enjoy the bokehs sense of stage and imaging with ease vs the more fatiguing radiance which feels like it trying to burn the music into my head at times, its hurts even at low volumes.

If the radiance do not bother you than I think they are a great option as they give a lot of the performance of the stellia to my ears at a big discount, but I just can’t listen to them for long so I will be selling them. On its own the radiance is very balanced sounding tonally like how I feel when listening to a Harman tuning, but the headphones design creates that uncomfortable pressure on my ears that make it difficult to listen to for any period of time. The treble like the bokeh is nothing spectacular, they are both even to my ears and the Harman take on treble is nothing remarkable, it’s just evenly present treble. Most of the technical stuff like resolution and detail is about on par. Sorry I can’t say more, its just very difficult to listen to the radiance. The radiance mid-range is also very clear and if I ignored the shout, pretty even. If the bokeh feels like a slight u shape in the mids its very minor. The radiance is very punchy and snappy but the bokeh when being punchy and snappy is not so abrasive about it. I think the bass is a little more softer on the bokeh when using hybrid pads.

Bokeh (using hybrid pads, burst mesh) vs AKG k371

Ok so from what I’ve read, the k371 is an affordable option for those that want a Harman tuning right out the box. After listening to the k371, I can confirm that it is not only easier to listen to than the radiance but it is a pretty spot on take on Harman and would make for a decent product on its own. Compared to the bokeh I know some will see this as unfair, but there are audiophiles that might argue that technicalities are an illusion if you simply use the Harman curve, that this curve gives the truth. The truth to my ears is that the k371 has huge shortcomings due to its design. While both the bokeh and the k371 clamp down and press your ears against the drivers, the bokeh is simply far more spacious having bigger cups. The k371 sounds like music is taking place in a tiny diorama and even then, its being overwhelmed from having such a small stage. On its own for the $150 I spent on it, its fine, but compared to higher end headphones its no contest Harman or not. Having a tuning is not enough if your limited by the cost of materials. The bokeh and radiance are simply better sounding products across the board in terms of technical performance. Music has space on the other two vs the k371 which sandwiches the images together. If it is a good recording there is some semblance to proper imaging on the k371 but more often than not, it is all pressed together. Tonally there is nothing wrong with the k371, even though it sounds very balanced, it just has no room to work with when you play music with it. When music gets busy, instruments seem like there shouldering for space and make the music become a blurry mess, but that’s never an issue with the bokeh or the radiance. Details are simply lost in this blurry effect that does not happen with the radiance or bokeh.

I think on its own the k371 sounds closest to Harman out of the box, but for Harman purists, I would recommend eq’ing the radiance or bokeh if you had to have Harman matched to a T as their presentations are more accommodating to appreciating the balance of Harman if that’s your thing. While the bokeh takes liberties in adding a touch more midbass and brings down the uppermids, this makes things enjoyable to my ears for a much longer period of time. While my preferences would be with zmfs take on Harman, I think those who are Harman purists, will still find issue with these deviations even though it the does not fatigue my ears like the other 2. The k371 shares the same differences to the bokeh as the radiance does in that the bokeh has more midbass emphasis and the vocals don’t shout like they do from the k371 and radiance, but I will add that the k371 to my ears does shout a little less than the radiance. For detail and resolution, again, the music is just being too overwhelmed too often on the k371 to hear if any small details can be found. I like the k371 on simple acoustic tracks but tried avoiding anything that gets busy and more complicated.

Bokeh (using protein pads and burst mesh) vs Sony z1r

For this comparison I switched back to the stock protein pads and burst mesh. The z1r has been around for several years now and is still sony’s flagship headphone. While I’ve owned the z1r for about 2 years now, the reason I stayed away from it for so long was because of the polarizing reviews it had. While I understand where some criticism comes from, I really enjoyed it whenever I put it on. In some ways the z1r is kind of like a fun take on a studio monitor to my ears. It also has this super wide frequency response of 4-120,000hrz but its not because you will hear 120,000hrz. From what I understand, this is to help with controlling distortion and the magnesium housing on the z1r is very controlled and resonant free. The z1r is also easy to drive and is easy to listen to but its take on sound may still be controversial compared to the bokeh.

When it comes to the bass, the z1r feels like a mini subwoofer and its bass boost while not huge is an even boost that adds a lot of body to the sound. So, if you have music that you wish had more bass then z1r sounds like it can add more bass to it. To some this can simply be perceived as too much overall bass. The bass is thinner on the bokeh vs the phatter bass on the z1r, but the bokeh’s bass is tighter and punchier. The bokeh has more midbass emphasis and while its subbass is present, it won’t grunt like the z1r. The z1r is basically a thicker laid back sound vs the bokeh which sounds more lively and thinner. Mids and vocals while not recessed on the z1r are just so laidback and warm that some may feel that they’re veiled but they are not truly veiled to my ears. The bokeh in comparison sounds clearer like taking a fresh breath of air, but detail and resolution are on par. Pads are also very thick on the z1r so they create sweat more easily around my ears vs the bokeh. Similar to when the eikon was released around the time the z1r was, audio critics seemed to be favoring the eikon in retrospect over the z1r and I feel the same will be true here. The bokeh is simply so crystal clear about itself that audio critics will gravitate toward it more often than a z1r. The z1r is more capable than what critics might make you think if you have higher end gear, but lower end gear will make the z1r’s sound too congested vs the bokeh which sounds like nothing is being held back on everything I’ve tried both expensive and cheap.

While the bokeh makes showing detail look easy, the z1r does a really good job on its own but takes some getting used to. For example, classical sounds excellent on the bokeh, presenting things in a more stereotypical audiophile way, but the z1r despite being so dense also does an excellent job with classic and present things with a larger soundstage. Even though the soundstage on the z1r is wide for a closed back the bokeh’s smaller stage will have more air and actually sound more open to my ears. The z1r’s overall detail and resolution is similar to the eikon and also the bokeh. The bokeh has some warmth in its stock configuration but nowhere near as much overall warmth as the z1r. The mids of the bokeh are more forward/clear sounding and even though the z1r is not forward in the mids like the bokeh I can hear the mids just fine. The bokeh is also more physical about its sound and more lively. The z1r is more relaxed and denser. Since my favorite closed back was the atticus, I would automatically prefer the bokeh over the z1r, but I still like the z1r for what it does. It’s so easy to rock out with the bokeh. The z1r thickness may seem veiled to some while the bokeh sounds like a veil has been lifted.

The upper mids and highs are gonna be user dependent when it comes to the z1r. Some users say the peaks on the z1r fatigue them, but luckily, I can listen to it just fine. The bokeh since its not as thick and relaxed has more forward upper mids to my ears but its not shouty. Listening to acoustic music or classical music on the bokeh sounds natural and clear, and while it wont go as far as zmf flagships in overall layering, it gets really close. At first you might think the z1r is not cut out for classical because of how thick it sounds, but it actually works really well since it has such a large soundstage. Both headphones have their own ways of controlling resonances so classical sounds great on both. While I do hear the peaks on the z1r more often with classical music it still does not bother me and the boosted bass on the z1r never truly get in the way imo but it does a tightrope walk that gets close to being overwhelming. While the bokeh makes showing detail look easy with its clarity and control, the z1r can also be detailed if you listen more carefully.

Overall, even though the z1r may not be the sony flagship sony aficionados were hoping for, it solved many problems of past sony flagships. First off unlike the r10 (I own the replica, the es-r10) and qualia 010 (I also own this), the z1r is not being made in limited amounts and can be mass produced. Second the z1r is built better than the other 2 sony flagships which feel more fragile and delicate to handle. Lastly the z1r has more bass than my es-r10 and qualia 010 combined which could be a good thing or a bad thing depending on taste. I may prefer the bokeh, but I think the z1r is kind of an underdog. As much as I would personally want a qualia 010 successor from sony, at least if anyone wants to find a second hand z1r, there are plenty available and at much more affordable prices than the other 2 sony flagships by far.

I'll add the amp section and my conclusion tomorrow.

You did an amazing job with the write ups man. Thanks for putting in the time!

Jan 3, 2024 at 10:11 PM Post #1,071 of 2,348
Back to work? Feeling the loss of the holidays and light work schedule?

NO PROBLEM! Just fire up the old Wolfson Ipod 5.5 (modded with a new battery and rock box!) and listen to some warm Bokah tunes while delving into neglected files.

IMG_2517.jpeg
rockbox, now that's a name I haven't heard in a while.. I have an old sandisk sansa with rockbox on it with a pikachu theme vu meter lol.. maybe I'll dig it up when my bokeh comes in. enjoy!

Jan 3, 2024 at 10:25 PM Post #1,072 of 2,348
Omega1990 ZMF Bokeh Review part 3 (finale)

Amps and dacs

For this section I used the hybrid pads and burst mesh since I felt the hybrid pads were the friendliest for the most part to different setups and presented the bokeh in a more balanced way tonally.

JDS Element 3 mk2

For solid state desktop options I started with the element 3 as that was used for the bulk of this review. In general, I enjoyed it on this regardless of pads. The clinical neutral sound of the element 3 plays well with the bokeh, really nothing to complain about and on its own I would be just fine. Even though the boosted version I have is limited to 2.3watts into 32ohms, that’s plenty of power for the bokeh, and it’s also friendly to iems. Everything about how the bokeh sounds on this was already mentioned in the sound and comparisons sections already.

Sony ta-zh1es

Next I tried the sony ta-zh1es which is an amp/dac combo. This solid-state amp is more colored in the midrange coming off as a bit fuller sounding and the edges of attack of notes are more rounded on this device. It also smooths out the highs, so it is a good setup for brighter headphones and it’s another friendly amp for iems. While the bokeh on hybrid pads sounded ok and more technically capable than the element 3, the rounding out of edges and extra smooth touch of the ta-zh1es made the bokeh sound blunted and overly smooth. Power is also pretty limited on this device using only 1.2 watts into 32 ohms. On lower priced setups this amount of power is probably just fine, but if you also own more demanding headphones, this won’t be enough power for them. At least you get a whole bunch of outputs to hook your headphones up to since its has a ¼ inch jack, 3.5mm, 4.4mm pentacon, 4-pin xlr, and dual 3.5mm balanced which few headphones and iems will make use of unless you get an adapter for it. I personally did not really enjoy the bokeh on this one for the reasons mentioned above. It does however power sony headphones and iems well to no one’s surprise.

DIY CFA3

I then used my cfa3 amp with my Berkley ref. dac to hear the bokeh in the most purely reference high end neutral setup I have. Now the cfa3 was really made to power hard to drive planars so even on low gain the cfa3 will have too much power. However, since my dac also has its own pre-amp volume control I can tweak that to get more range of volume on my cfa3. On the one hand it’s nice to hear how the bokeh scales up and gains a bit of soundstage and resolution, but on the other hand it simply makes no sense to buy a setup costing closer to $20k for a headphone costing closer to $1k. It’s still neat to try out though. This to my ears is the most reference sounding take on the bokeh that I’ve heard. The most notable thing about this setup to my ears, is that the hybrid pads sound about perfect with the cfa3. When using stock pads with almost any other zmf I’ve always felt the need to use the zmf 2k copper cable to add a little more bass and smooth out the sound, but no copper cable is needed when using the hybrid pads and stock cable. Even though this is the most neutral reference take on the bokeh I can play with, it may be too much of good thing being so purely reference sounding. Some may want a more fun take on the sound.

Schiit Mjolnir 3

The Mjolnir 3 is a sold state amp from schiit that I’ve previously commented works great with most zmf headphones and I can confirm the bokeh using hybrid pads also works well but not entirely ideal. While the Mjolnir 3 adds warmth in the midrange making it fuller like the ta-zh1es, it is not rounded in its edges and is more raw on the attack. This amp goes all in on the fun and makes for an engaging and punchy sound. Being the polar opposite to the cfa3 in sound signature, this take on fun may also be too much of a good thing in its own right as it uses some distortions to pull off this kind of fun. To those who prefer a more reference take on sound, the Mjolnir 3 may come off as unrefined and a bit sloppy, but I really enjoy it. This amp provides 2watts into 32ohms or 1watt into 300ohms. For this I used my default settings. So, balanced on the input and output, used low gain, single ended class A with feedback off. Also, this amp sounds better when it’s warmed up which unfortunately makes this amp very hot so try not to touch where the vents are located on top. I still think it’s a fun option if you wanna go all in on rocking out and don’t mind the distortion going on here.

Decware // Reference ZMF OTL

Now onto tube amps, first I tried the Decware // Reference ZMF OTL amp using stock tubes. This amp is fantastic with higher impedance dynamics, and power wise it’s still friendly to the bokeh using about 450 watts into 250ohms. The zmfs I’ve compared to the bokeh are going to scale better on this amp due to the impedance being more compatible with them, but the bokeh fairs pretty well on it. This otl amp provides a lush romantic sound and it’s built in a way that it pushes beyond the typical limitations of otl amps. This amp does not have any syrupy slow down effect and is unusually transparent for an otl amp. The soundstage is some of the best with any zmf I’ve tried with it and the bokeh also stages really well on it. This amp adds a layer of depth which really impressed me. If you want this amp to be less tubey and euphonic, you can flip the switch above the volume knob to bypass the Cathode Filter. While the stage is not as huge as a 300b amp, it will make your headphones have a bigger overall stage than the typical solid state. This amp can also wake up the dynamics of higher impedance headphones and my favorite zmfs on this amp are the Aeolus, Auteur, both Verites, and the Atrium open. The bokeh is another good pairing but since the impedance does not match as well as solid state amps, this amp was not exactly ideal. The lushness and detail on this amp is wonderful, but some may have to look elsewhere if romantic lushness is not the sound your looking for.

Ampsandsound Agartha

The ampsandsound Agartha is my 300b amp. I’m also using stock tubes on it except I’ve switched the 6SL7 tube for an adapter that allows me to use my rca 12ax7. Switching to a 12ax7 also lowered some audible noise to my ears. This is one amp that does not get talked about too often, but if you are familiar with the 300b sound, then you already know what this sounds like. This amp was the first true wow moment for me when using the bokeh. 300b tubes to me sound like a reference sound with added weight. Another notable effect is the wide bandwidth and soundstage. If you have a headphone that is rolled off in the bass for example, this amp adds subbass micro rumbles to it. The soundstage is also very big and at the same time it pulls you into the details, so vocals really pop and sound like you’re in the room with them. For this amp, my favorite zmf’s are the Atticus, Atrium open and now the bokeh. This amp is tied with one other amp for my favorite pairing using hybrid pads. While some may feel that 300b is too ethereal and dreamlike with less punch than an otl, when using the bokeh with hybrid pads, it nails a more ideal presentation to my ears. The biggest advantage this amp has over many others are the multiple impedance outputs to better match each headphone. So, the closest one I used with the bokeh is the 100ohm tap. It also delivers 7watts of power so you can use hard to drive planar headphones as well. This amp is also very detailed like other high end amps so nothing is held back. The main downside I will say is that the volume pot has less steps than most other amps so finding the right volume on a certain track may not always be ideal. I think you can order this amp and request a volume pot with more steps, but I bought mine second hand because this amp is just so expensive. The other downside is that its super heavy.

Previously Zach did collaborate with ampsandsound to make an amp called the pendant. I never got to hear that amp, but after hearing Zach’s headphones on the Agartha, the Decware, and even the jds element, I think Zach is really good at picking amp manufacturers that work really well with his headphones and the bokeh on the Agartha is an amazing combo. If this amp is too expensive for you, Zach does sell the Cayin HA-300B MK II which also comes with balanced outputs like 4.4 pentacon and 4pin xlr as the Agartha only outputs in single ended. The balanced sound of the bokeh using hybrid pads with 300b tubes is just so perfect. There is however one other amp that sounds perfect with this headphone to my ears.

Audeze King mk2

The last big amp to try was my Audeze king mk2 amp which is a tube hybrid. It uses two tubes which I upgraded to a pair of 6922 amperex white labels. For tubes as old as these, they are incredibly clean and detailed sounding. This amp puts out 6 watts into 20ohms and while it is another amp that was made for planar headphones like the lcd 4, dynamic headphones also sound great out of it. Using the bokeh with hybrid pads turned out to be another perfect pairing. While its sound does not go all in on the tube side as the Decware or Agartha, it’s also not as clinical as the cfa3 or element 3. The bokeh on this amp finds the right balance of getting the speed and details of a solid-state, but also that staging from tubes. This amp does not change the frequency response of the headphone but it does add a touch of tube warmth to add body to the sound. So, to me it’s the right kind of mix of reference and fun and I was listening to the bokeh more on this amp than any other. The Audeze King is discontinued so you may need to see what other hybrid amps exist, or maybe look into buying a tube amp that can preamp into a solid-state.

This amp also has a few unique things going for it, you can listen to two headphones at the same time to compare them if you want and it also glows green up top so it comes with its own lightshow, lol. They rarely popup second hand, but if you do get one and obtain an mk1 version like I did, Audeze can still upgrade it to an mk2 version for $500 before any shipping costs. Other zmfs I really like off this amp were the zmf caldera and verite open. Planars are also fantastic on it since it was made for planars.

Moon River 2

I almost forgot to try this one and after I compared the bokeh to my z1r using stock protein pads I decided to leave the protein pads on and try the 4.4mm balanced out on it. This combination is great and makes the bokeh more portable as I can use this combo with my phone or computer. If you put all your money toward affording the bokeh and can’t afford a traditional desktop setup, the moon river 2 works fine conveying a pretty clean and dynamic sound. I think the bokeh is going to be the best zmf for affordable setups since the bokeh’s impedance will match cheaper setups better imo. So, if you are on a budget, the bokeh is debatably the most accommodating zmf to date.

Lastly, I have not received my zmf homage amp yet, so I do not know how well it would perform with it, but I feel confident in thinking it’s going to sound great!

About the Solid Titan Mesh

Since I was not a fan of swapping pads I almost forgot to try the solid titan mesh. Throughout this whole review I tried the bokeh with the default burst titan mesh. I did listen to the bokeh briefly with no mesh and that made it less smooth sounding, so that is something to keep in mind if that is a direction you want to go in, but I always preferred some kind of mesh on them. I’ve read comments that the hybrid pads using the solid titan mesh creates magic. So, did I find the magic? Well… kinda. What I mean is that the solid titan mesh does a few important things to the bokeh that might be of interest to prospective buyers. First it lowers the treble presence, and second it raises the mid-range around the vocals and removes the tiny u shape effect of the burst mesh. Combine that with a slight boost to the overall bass and you’ve got yourself a downward sloping frequency response curve. In fact, using the protein pads with the solid titan mesh made the bokeh sound closer to the atticus than any combination I tried so far. Sure, it still did not have the larger midbass hump of the atticus since the whole bass region was raised together on the bokeh, but the magic for me was the musicality the solid titan mesh brought. I also lost a bit of clarity to the imaging, but that warmth to the vocals and midrange was pleasing in a way that reminds me of the atticus. Since I already have an atticus it might not be how I want to ideally listen to the bokeh, but this is a surprising last-minute discovery before sending my demo pair back to Zach. I also tried the hybrid pads with the solid titan mesh and found it to have a more balanced sound than the protein pads since it mellowed the bass a bit to my ears and kept the treble down a little further than the burst mesh. The overall balance again was very musical and pleasing to listen to. The burst mesh did add more sparkle in the treble and if you’re not a fan of that and want a warmer, somewhat darker take on the bokeh, the solid titan mesh is the way to go.

Conclusion

While I don’t speak for zmf I feel the bokeh is the beginning of what I would like to call a second generation zmf. All models before the bokeh feel like a first gen zmf product. Another notable change is how close the bokeh gets to the Harman curve on hybrid pads. While the atrium is probably the first zmf to get closer to Harman, imo it’s not until the bokeh that I really hear the Harman curve in a zmf. Headphones like the Atticus, Aeolus, Auteur, Eikon, and both Verites come off as the OG group in many ways. They are to me a part of the brand that was trying all sorts of things to see how the market would react and they helped establish the brand. Then the Atriums were kinda like a celebration of the more colorful side of zmf. The caldera to me is more of a proof-of-concept planar that functions as a promethean totl. What I mean is, the caldera is a headphone that kinda encapsulates what I think of when listening to summit-fi headphones but charging a lower price than the typical summit-fi can. While all prior releases have really helped establish zmf as a major player in the audiophile market, to me the bokeh is the first headphone that is trying to reach out to customer’s who didn’t think that zmf was for them.

For those that felt zmf’s before the caldera were not technical enough for the money or maybe they were not close enough to the Harman curve, I think the bokeh is trying to fix that. Even though I still think the Auteur is still the textbook zmf neutral, using the hybrid pads I think the bokeh is going to be recognized as zmf Harman, matching much more closely than any zmf I have heard before. On top of that, some of the deviations that zach made to the bokeh kind of fix some of the problems I have with Harman. The slight midbass boost makes that bass more exciting, the lowered presence region prevents things from shouting like headphones that are closer to Harman. The bokeh takes everything Zach has learned thus far and is basically reestablishing zmf from the entry point. I feel like the rest of the lineup will inevitably get shook up with new models that will build upon what was done here. Another important thing for me that separates zmf from other brands is that when they make changes to their house sound, some customer’s feel left behind or that the change of direction pushes some of their fanbase away. It’s nice to know that by changing pads or meshes you can still enjoy zmf the way you used to and also listen to where some of its sound is going moving forward. The bokeh to me sets a new baseline of performance for the brand and I look forward to what’s in store next.

Thanks for reading!

Attachments

• 20240105_221802.jpg
    20240105_221802.jpg
    724.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 20240105_221720.jpg
    20240105_221720.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240105_221752.jpg
    20240105_221752.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240105_222207.jpg
    20240105_222207.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240105_222014.jpg
    20240105_222014.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 20231230_215230.jpg
    20231230_215230.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 20231230_215134.jpg
    20231230_215134.jpg
    748.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jan 3, 2024 at 10:37 PM Post #1,073 of 2,348
Great review btw. I assume you review all of this using the same OTL tube amp then?
Thanks! The majority of this review was with the jds element 3, but in my part 3 post I do briefly mention how the bokeh fairs on my otl amp.

Jan 3, 2024 at 10:48 PM Post #1,074 of 2,348
It's quite the nice coincidence that I've been using an Element III Mk2 for a couple months as well. It does a fantastic job of allowing headphones to sound exactly like they should, with no distortion and smooth volume progression to boot. I don't really have a reason to go for another DAC or amp outside of features (such as the ADI-2 having parametric EQ).

Jan 3, 2024 at 10:48 PM Post #1,075 of 2,348
While I don’t speak for zmf I feel the bokeh is the beginning of what I would like to call a second generation zmf. All models before the bokeh feel like a first gen zmf product. Another notable change is how close the bokeh gets to the Harman curve on hybrid pads. While the atrium is probably the first zmf to get closer to Harman, imo it’s not until the bokeh that I really hear the Harman curve in a zmf. Headphones like the Atticus, Aeolus, Auteur, Eikon, and both Verites come off as the OG group in many ways. They are to me a part of the brand that was trying all sorts of things to see how the market would react and they helped establish the brand. Then the Atriums were kinda like a celebration of the more colorful side of zmf. The caldera to me is more of a proof-of-concept planar that functions as a promethean totl. What I mean is, the caldera is a headphone that kinda encapsulates what I think of when listening to summit-fi headphones but charging a lower price than the typical summit-fi can. While all prior releases have really helped establish zmf as a major player in the audiophile market, to me the bokeh is the first headphone that is trying to reach out to customer’s who didn’t think that zmf was for them.
Amazing review, and I particularly agree with the bolded part. I think you're 100% correct.

Jan 4, 2024 at 1:39 AM Post #1,076 of 2,348
Those look like my babies! :) They are quite beautiful looking, and way better in person than the pics show. They're a bit darker in normal light, with a lovely honey like chatoyance.
They are indeed - from earlier in the thread. I'd be interested in some more photos if you have any. They look fantastic.

Jan 4, 2024 at 10:20 AM Post #1,077 of 2,348
They are indeed - from earlier in the thread. I'd be interested in some more photos if you have any. They look fantastic.
Ask and ye shall receive! Took them just now with iPhone. Incredibly difficult to photograph, lighting changes the tone a lot. The pics make it look brighter than it is when looking at it just sitting on my stand. And when you rotate them under strong lights they really change.

Attachments

• IMG_1538.jpeg
    IMG_1538.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1539.jpeg
    IMG_1539.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1540.jpeg
    IMG_1540.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1541.jpeg
    IMG_1541.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1542.jpeg
    IMG_1542.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Jan 4, 2024 at 10:41 AM Post #1,078 of 2,348
I ordered on day of release and I'm still waiting. May the glorious day come soon.

Same. I ordered an hour into the release, early in the morning, and I'm still waiting. It will be a while but surely worth the wait. :)

Jan 4, 2024 at 8:58 PM Post #1,080 of 2,348
Same. I ordered an hour into the release, early in the morning, and I'm still waiting. It will be a while but surely worth the wait. :)
I ordered my Bokeh around Dec 10, so I expect mine to arrive some time around the 17th of a very long time from now... 🥹

Users who are viewing this thread

Back