ZMF BOKEH - Closed Back (Semi-Portable)
Dec 18, 2023 at 5:38 PM Post #841 of 2,447
So these BE pads fit the Bokeh as well? Better than the others?

All ZMF Guys know Pads can change the sound, but i think Pads on Bokeh change the complete Headphone, the Pads on Bokeh change the sound more then on any other ZMF in the lineup… more in my review…still at work on it

Dec 18, 2023 at 5:48 PM Post #842 of 2,447
My final Bokeh review...coming tomorrow, btw

Dec 18, 2023 at 5:59 PM Post #843 of 2,447
Have you watched this video?

The Bokeh pads are a little more difficult to swap due to being thinner and the baffle's oval shape. The pad lips are also a slightly taught initially, but they will loosen up after multiple swaps.

I use a slightly different method than Zach uses for mounting pads. I hook and pin one corner of the pad, then use the other hand to finish threading it around the baffle. Since the Bokeh's cups don't swivel 360 degrees, you might have to swap hands to finish threading the lip.

Like anything, practice makes perfect! :)

I gotta say after picking up an Empy II I really wish we could get a magnetic pad swap system. Maybe a solution could be magnetic standoffs?

Not sure how that would affect the drivers though.

Sometimes on ZMFs I tend to keep the pads the same just because I don’t feel like changing them so much.

Dec 18, 2023 at 6:22 PM Post #844 of 2,447
Thoughts on the 'Portable Shootout' today:

Disclaimer: using the solid Titan mesh & hybrid pads

Woo Audio Tube Mini: this thing is obviously legendary for the ridiculous gobs of power it has for a dongle. Woo are serious magicians for squeezing such power into such a small device. There are trade offs (i.e. ringing/not for portable use/doesn't really work with IEMs) but it absolutely powers the Bokeh to the brink. I barely got it above 25% on Roon ARC off of my iPad before it was a bit too loud. Sound wise, this really emphasizes the Bokeh's sound signature. The mids were the star of the show, with slightly smoother bass (wouldn't say less punchy, but definitely a teeny bit more rolled off than on non-tube) and a crisp, sparkling highs. The Tube Mini seemed to really push the treble on the Bokeh a bit further than the other two I played with today, so there was a bit more of a sparkling...crunch? Sibilance? The highs are still very much there. I thought they maybe could've been a teeny bit too bright, but not a deal breaker. Soundstage was the same across the board for all three. I felt like the Bokeh + Tube Mini was a better mix for the dreamier stuff I was playing on it, such as Talk Talk's Spirit of Life and Radiohead's Kid A. The highs got a little in-your-face on Liturgy and Mayhem. This amp does have a pretty specific sound signature, so YMMV. I'm not here for balanced audio, so the Woo is always a favorite for pure sound in a small package, but with a handful of trade offs.

Cayin RU7: this was exactly what I want out of a dongle. Less power than the Woo, but obviously much less power. Very much like the Cayin house sound, everything is very balanced, smack dab neutral, with just a tiny touch of warmness. I feel like there is a bit of bass roll off with it, but nothing over the top. The high end performed best on this as well, I noticed none of the almost-Grado-like aggressiveness as I did with the Woo. The mids are a little bit more recessed, but overall this feels so natural and tuned spectacularly. Best dongle I have tried, honestly. This one did well on all my test albums, but I felt like the Cayin really shined with some of the heavier metal such as Mayhem's De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas and Wolves in the Throne Room. It does well on the moodier stuff, but I think the Woo's really aggressive sound signature helps you lose yourself in the sound. This is really a spectacular IEM dongle, as you do have to push it a bit to get it to a louder volume. Played off of my iPad, tried off of the iPhone.

Astell&Kern SP3000: personally, I find this guy as the ultimate IEM machine. You have to really get to a very loud volume (110+) to get loud enough sound off of it for most over ear headphones. BUT, this is probably the most lush, detailed portable setup you're going to find on the Bokeh. This thing lends itself to a neutralness you just don't find often. As you get a bit higher in the volume range, you can really sense the headroom start to condense though, and it did feel like it had less of a soundstage than the others, almost a bit claustrophobic. However, there wasn't the rolloff or recession of the RU7, and the slightly sharp Woo high was nowhere to be found, without that aggressiveness. It is incredibly normal. I think the Bokeh shines on the SP3000 despite the condensed soundstage, you can really grasp the intense mid-bass on these, some of the stuff I was listening to like Radiohead's Kid A had an absurd amount of punch. The SP3000's speed and attention to detail (you really can not feed it anything too fast or intense, it will always excel) was huge on stuff like Liturgy, but the punch of the bass and smooth high end REALLY showed off on stuff like Black Sabbath and Sleep. Obviously the cost is lolworthy but it's still a monster DAP.

I think all 3 have their strengths. The Woo isn't really portable and is really just a desk MONSTER and has the most out-there and best but flavored sound of all three, but the Bokeh is a spectacular headphone on really all 3 of these. I think it's pretty cool how I haven't fed the Bokeh to an amp that they don't sound amazing on, with all 3 having some slightly different quirks. Anyway. Just some thoughts. The RU7 is pretty sweet for a small dongle for the Bokeh, so if you want portability from these, that's probably your best bet.
Good stuff!

The RU7 is amazing with the Bokeh no doubt. I spent all day yesterday listening to the Bokeh with the RU7 connected to my iMac 27", and the sound was incredible. I really like the RU7 with my Samsung S22+ as well, but when it's connected to better power like a desktop computer it gains grip and power that is shocking. The staging is crazy good with the RU7 as well, and this little dongle really is flat out magical with the Bokeh.

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2023 at 10:47 PM Post #845 of 2,447
I gotta say after picking up an Empy II I really wish we could get a magnetic pad swap system. Maybe a solution could be magnetic standoffs?

Not sure how that would affect the drivers though.

Sometimes on ZMFs I tend to keep the pads the same just because I don’t feel like changing them so much.
Personally I prefer lighter weight and lower prices with the occasional annoyance of swapping the current pads. I also tend to settle on a pad eventually and then only change once or twice a year, but I do understand more frequent pad swapping for some and how than can be more frustrating when it's difficult.

Dec 18, 2023 at 10:57 PM Post #846 of 2,447
As a ZMF and Meze owner, I vastly prefer changing pads on the Elite. I also vastly prefer Zach’s pad prices!

Dec 19, 2023 at 3:14 AM Post #848 of 2,447
As a ZMF and Meze owner, I vastly prefer changing pads on the Elite. I also vastly prefer Zach’s pad prices!
Just think of the time it takes to change a Bokeh pad as an auditory palate cleanser...
I've gotten pretty good with the Zach method of holding the cup against your chest. Agree that the Meze system is probably the best in the business, but ZMF pad quality is superb. Once the pad is on the headphone I think nothing is as comfortable as a ZMF pad.

Dec 19, 2023 at 5:12 AM Post #849 of 2,447
Once the pad is on the headphone I think nothing is as comfortable as a ZMF pad.
Yes, everytime I put on my Atrium it feels like my head gets a warm soft loving hug.

I had to bend the Bokeh headband quite a bit for it to be comfortable though. Like there was too much pressure top of the ears and the pads didn't touch my skin below the ears. Didn't have this with any other model. But bending it is quite doable.

Dec 19, 2023 at 6:41 AM Post #850 of 2,447
My initial pad swap on the Bokeh was definitely a struggle but at this point I've gone back and forth a few times and I can generally get it in one go - had to keep the grip tighter and be a bit more aggressive pulling the sleeve around the edges. With that said I think the hybrids are where it's at for me. They just feel a bit better balanced - there were some EDM tracks when I was going through my library that were just a bit much on the stock pads.

As a side note though, the leather material on the stock pads feels really good. It's smoother and less shiny than all my other lambskin pads (including the leather portions of the hybrid pads). Hybrid pads also seem smaller, like the Caldera thins vs stock, and I didn't expect the suede portion of the hybrid pads to be the inside since every other ZMF hybrid pad has the suede on the surface that touches your head.

I had to bend the Bokeh headband quite a bit for it to be comfortable though. Like there was too much pressure top of the ears and the pads didn't touch my skin below the ears. Didn't have this with any other model. But bending it is quite doable.
I also noticed the Bokeh by default is tighter at my temples vs under my ears, though not to such an extent it doesn't touch.
*edit - formatting

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2023 at 8:20 AM Post #851 of 2,447
Has anyone with the Bokeh in hand mentioned sound leakage/isolation yet? I didn’t see anything when I was trying to search the thread

Edit: nevermind I did find one early review mentioning this

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2023 at 8:23 AM Post #852 of 2,447
Isolation is very good, had the Bokeh on the head with music and my woman was standing right behind me, can‘t hear her, so very good🤣

Dec 19, 2023 at 8:44 AM Post #853 of 2,447
Has anyone with the Bokeh in hand mentioned sound leakage/isolation yet? I didn’t see anything when I was trying to search the thread

With a good seal they don't leak too much. Less than my TH900 for sure. From my memory about the same or a tiny bit better in terms of both isolation and leakage compared to the VC. But the VC did not seal/fit as well as the Bokeh on my head. If you listen on medium loudness might not leak at all but I tend to blast mine pretty loud.

Dec 19, 2023 at 8:44 AM Post #854 of 2,447

In my experience at least with the hybrid pads the sound leaks quite a bit, maybe I am listening too loud but I don't think I can use it in the office without my colleagues knowing what I am listening to, which is unfortunate because that is what I bought them for.
I can measure my listening volume with a MiniDSP Ears for reference later if you want though.

Dec 19, 2023 at 8:58 AM Post #855 of 2,447
So these BE pads fit the Bokeh as well? Better than the others?
I'll have to give these a shot! Will take some measurements today.

Just uploades the "first use" getting to know the Bokeh and adjustments/pad swap video. Will post here shortly.

I general I agree regarding the pads, I'll do something thinking on it with my engineers if there's another system that could be as inexpensive and more malleable.

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back