ZMF BOKEH - Closed Back (Semi-Portable)
Dec 17, 2023 at 7:16 PM Post #796 of 2,348
To me the bass on the Atticus was boomy and excessive with the lambskin pads. With the suede it was much better, though even then it's still the bassiest headphone I own.

It will be interesting to see how the Bokeh compares. It sounds like I probably won't like it with the default pads. But I'm hoping the hybrids tame that bass a bit. The main shortcoming of the Atticus is a lack of treble detail. It can be a bit too rolled off. I'm expecting the Bokeh to improve in that area as well.

Dec 17, 2023 at 7:18 PM Post #797 of 2,348
Would this be worth getting or saving up for an atrium closed? I thought the atrium closed was pretty versatile and could handle death core breakdowns as well as hip hop.

Bokeh holds its own, but the AC are the best metal headphones on the market, IMO.

Dec 17, 2023 at 7:46 PM Post #798 of 2,348
Endgame has been relative to me for what I like to listen to and how I enjoy music. But definitely doesn't mean the most expensive. if you haven't gone to a canjam I would honestly start there. I remember going in thinking I would love something but didn't. Hifiman gets a lot of hype but the one I like best is the nano for my needs 🤷🏾‍♂️.
I can see how my original response can be misleading. In the sense of blind buying. I did go to cam jam both days and spent couple hours just going back and forth testing all the headphones that I was interested in from all ranges price wise and brands. I do understand testing equipment within a loud environment isnt optimal but on the second day I def had a clear idea on what I wanted to own which wasn't far off to my initial train of thought going into the show on day 1 after researching for months.

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2023 at 7:54 PM Post #799 of 2,348
I feel like the Bokeh hits way above its price point. For 899$ these are a steal.

I haven't enjoyed a headphone this much in quite sometime. They are not overly detailed and don't have the imaging capabilities of the VC/AC but they're just one of those headphones where the whole is greater than sum of the parts.

Dec 17, 2023 at 8:36 PM Post #800 of 2,348
Flagship headphones are worth it only if you have a chain to extract maximum out of them. In fact higher end headphones may perform poorly and may exhibit the deficiencies in your system
That's maybe true if you want to extract detail. Not necessarily true if your goal is enjoyment. Flagship headphones are worth it for a lot of different reasons, it depends on the individual.

Dec 17, 2023 at 9:38 PM Post #802 of 2,348
Bad news with my Bokeh. Seems to work fine when running straight from my Decware but as soon as I plug it into my Ferrum Oor running in bypass from my Decware the right driver stops working after a few seconds.

Plugging it out and back into the Oor brings the sound back momentarily before it dies again in a few seconds. Any ideas what might be causing this? Is it too much power/current? It's odd that the left driver stays working the entire time and the right driver is not permanently dead after it stops working.

Is this a design flaw or is my unit just faulty?

Dec 17, 2023 at 9:44 PM Post #803 of 2,348
Bad news with my Bokeh. Seems to work fine when running straight from my Decware but as soon as I plug it into my Ferrum Oor running in bypass from my Decware the right driver stops working after a few seconds.

Plugging it out and back into the Oor brings the sound back momentarily before it dies again in a few seconds. Any ideas what might be causing this? Is it too much power/current? It's odd that the left driver stays working the entire time and the right driver is not permanently dead after it stops working.

Definitely a question for ZMF. I’d send them an email.

Dec 17, 2023 at 10:17 PM Post #804 of 2,348
The Bokeh is def not a good introduction to pad rolling on a ZMF. I’m pulling my hair out and I still can’t get the pad to fit into the cup. 😤 this is not my first rodeo, I’ve done plenty of pad rolling on the Atrium.

And no the video with the lobster 🦞 doesn’t help. 😂

It is pain to swap, I kind of have it figured out though. The usual inside out method doesn’t work well on these.

Dec 17, 2023 at 10:25 PM Post #805 of 2,348

Switch out the headphone cable if you got another. I just posted of a similar issue with my Bokeh cable.

Dec 17, 2023 at 10:35 PM Post #807 of 2,348
Yea I figured it out finally. The second pad was much easier. The first time was not fun.
I considered that the cable could be the issue, unfortunately I don't have any spare cables since all mine use mini xlr connectors.

What was the issue with your cable? It's just odd that if the issue was with the cable how come it is only limited to the Oor.

Dec 17, 2023 at 10:36 PM Post #808 of 2,348
Yea I figured it out finally. The second pad was much easier. The first time was not fun.
Any special tips or insights, or is it just something we will have to muddle through first time?

Dec 17, 2023 at 10:50 PM Post #810 of 2,348
What was your technique?
I found what worked best for me is pressing the back side of the cup against my chest, then securing the pad down with my left hand while my right slips one finger underneath the pad hooking it onto the ridge, then I just rotate around in a circle trying to keep my finger underneath the pad the entire time until I get all the way around. This probably works best if you have more slender fingers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back