ZMF BOKEH - Closed Back (Semi-Portable)
Dec 17, 2023 at 7:38 AM Post #781 of 2,384
Going straight for "Endgame" territory doesn't always yield success. I have found it is actually better to work your way up the ladder, and that way you learn what you like and don't like and know what to look/listen for when it finally comes time to move up to TOTL level gear. Lots of different flavors at the top. .
It depends on the individuals intent. Some folks are one time buyers who are looking to simply enhance the exp for the songs/genre they already love. While others wanna exp the various way the songs/genre they love can be delivered.

Dec 17, 2023 at 9:33 AM Post #782 of 2,384
The Bokeh is a more exciting listen if you will, with stronger punch and impact and a tighter sound overall top to bottom, and the Atticus is smoother and more open sounding. The bass is stronger, goes deeper and is more impactful on the Bokeh, but not quite as detailed and nuanced in the middbass as the Atticus. The mids are more even on the Bokeh and I can hear more nuances and little details better as a result. The vocals are different between the two, being more floaty and smooth on the Bokeh, and they are a tad more forward and "raw" sounding on the Atticus. I actually love the vocals on both headphones, and it's tough to pick a winner there. As for the highs, they are more present on the Bokeh, yet still don't ever get harsh. I feel overall the Bokeh has better balance and extension top to bottom, and more unique staging and better layering thanks to the ADS (Atrium Damping System), and the Atticus is more open and "flavored" with more peaks and valley's in it's FR and it sounds more laidback overall. That's just some off the cuff stuff of what has really jumped out so far, and I have only had 2 weeks with the Bokeh now, so I am still learning what it's all about and how it fully compares to my Atticus. That being said, I already know the Atticus and Bokeh are different enough that both are staying in my collection. The Bokeh is more balanced/analog and dynamic/punchy sounding, and the Atticus is more flavored sounding with it's peaks and valleys, and more laid-back/open sound overall. I can listen to either one happily all day long. :grin:

For reference, the Bokeh has the Hybrid Pads and Titan Mesh installed, and the Atticus has the stock Ori Lambskin Pads.

I truly feel that if you are a fan of the ZMF house sound, the Bokeh is definitely a must have.
This is super helpful- I've put in my order for the Bokeh based on the more present treble, an area of the Atticus that I sometimes wish were a bit more. Looking forward to getting them even more based on descriptions such as these- thanks.

Dec 17, 2023 at 2:28 PM Post #784 of 2,384
Picked up a pair of these. Pretty psyched. The wait begins lol

Dec 17, 2023 at 3:12 PM Post #785 of 2,384
FedEx is early! The Bokeh is a little heavier than my Redheart AO with Caldera pads (~15g+), but does not feel heavy at all on my head. The clamp force is just right.

Let the burn in begin!

IMG_4552.jpeg

Dec 17, 2023 at 3:34 PM Post #786 of 2,384
FedEx is early! The Bokeh is a little heavier than my Redheart AO with Caldera pads (~15g+), but does not feel heavy at all on my head. The clamp force is just right.

Let the burn in begin!

IMG_4552.jpeg

Wow you really get a clear sense of the oval cup shape from this pic. The design language of Bokeh really speaks to me. Love the progression Zach is showing

Dec 17, 2023 at 3:54 PM Post #787 of 2,384

Let the burn in begin!

IMG_4552.jpeg
Sweet! Definitely interested in hearing your impressions/comparisons of the two!

Dec 17, 2023 at 4:25 PM Post #788 of 2,384
Does the solid titan mesh reduce the treble? I've read some varied responses on this so far.

Dec 17, 2023 at 5:17 PM Post #790 of 2,384

Let the burn in begin!

IMG_4552.jpeg
How do you like your eufonika? Wieslaw has made me a prototype otc and I love it ( I have the first iteration while he builds the final one).

Dec 17, 2023 at 6:04 PM Post #791 of 2,384
That was my train of thought going into this hobby 6 months ago. headphone > amp> dac. For me personally I figure it be best to be patient save up for x months and head straight to "end game" territory.
Endgame has been relative to me for what I like to listen to and how I enjoy music. But definitely doesn't mean the most expensive. if you haven't gone to a canjam I would honestly start there. I remember going in thinking I would love something but didn't. Hifiman gets a lot of hype but the one I like best is the nano for my needs 🤷🏾‍♂️.

Dec 17, 2023 at 6:05 PM Post #793 of 2,384
Wow these are real head bangers. Really fun and full bass. Sound much more natural than the Meze 109 Pro already. Haven't changed pads or the mesh yet, but the treble and vocals are so smooth. Bass can be overkill on some songs though lol.

On the SE300 (R2R dap) I'm hitting 60/150 volume on high gain. Line out to the Homage amp sounds even better. Unfortunately, the included 4.4mm cable is faulty and wouldn't work correctly with the Homage. Left channel is just dead silent. Need to try with the HA-3A later, and then the RU7.

Dec 17, 2023 at 6:15 PM Post #794 of 2,384
Wow these are real head bangers. Really fun and full bass. Sound much more natural than the Meze 109 Pro already. Haven't changed pads or the mesh yet, but the treble and vocals are so smooth. Bass can be overkill on some songs though lol.

On the SE300 (R2R dap) I'm hitting 60/150 volume on high gain. Line out to the Homage amp sounds even better. Unfortunately, the included 4.4mm cable is faulty and wouldn't work correctly with the Homage. Left channel is just dead silent. Need to try with the HA-3A later, and then the RU7.
Very interesting, have you tried the Bokeh only on tube amps? I am curious about that bass.

Dec 17, 2023 at 6:28 PM Post #795 of 2,384
Very interesting, have you tried the Bokeh only on tube amps? I am curious about that bass.
It sounds very good out of the Decware OTL. Bass is punchy but not overly boomy or distorted. It also tames the treble making it overall more enjoyable for me. Plugged straight into the MacBook Pro, I found it a little too bright for my liking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back