ZMF BOKEH - Closed Back (Semi-Portable)
Dec 10, 2023 at 10:29 PM Post #601 of 2,348
Honestly we haven't even made many of our cables for the BOKEH yet since it's so fresh. I'll get a Palladium, V Silver and Copper made soon to see what's going on with that. My preference usually lies with the 2K copper because it's so creamy and resolving.

The Limba does have some spalting and bug holes that are filled and natural/normal, but yeah definitely send us an email and we can figure it out asap.
Hi zach what are the definition of those 3.5 trrs?

Dec 11, 2023 at 6:57 AM Post #602 of 2,348
Just checking back in to say, I spent all day yesterday going back and forth between the VC's (my daily drivers for the past 2 years) and the Bokeh, and I have some interesting results to say the least.

Spoiler alert. . .The Bokeh have become my new daily driver. :astonished:

The VC's have speed that is incredible while having a delicate touch/refinement and smoothness to them at the same time. They make it sound like whatever I am listening to is happening live right there in my room. They do however have a bit of bite up top though (that I have never noticed until the Bokeh entered my life :thinking:), and the bass is incredibly detailed and has good weight and sustain, yet doesn't quite have the weight and punch of the Bokeh. The VC's sound more "Hifi" and transparent and are incredible headphones no doubt, with very unique flavoring, having a bit of middbass bloom and a few dips and peaks up top to balance things out, giving them bite in some areas and smoothness in others. The staging is more diffused and the images are a bit less defined and spread out with the VC's, vs. the tighter and better layered images with the Bokeh and it's ADS.

I have to say the Bokeh gets the win for the most fun headphone and my new favorite ZMF in the lineup. The Bokeh makes it sound like you are transported to wherever the music is happening, instead of being so transparent like with the VC's of which make everything sound like it's happening right there in my room. Two totally different presentations of awesomeness if you ask me. :wink: The ADS (Atrium Damping System) in the Bokeh really lets things breathe and you can hear more detail and little nuances in the mids come through as a result, despite not being quite as fast as the VC. The Bokeh is still super quick sounding, but just not quite as fast as the VC. It's easier to listen to the Bokeh at loud volumes for longer periods of time without any fatigue. Bass is weightier and more in your face with Bokeh but not quite as detailed, yet still really really well done. The Bokeh has better balance through the mids up into the highs and it's incredible how it is trading blows with the VC! The Bokeh is more euphonic throughout the mids as well, and with a smoother transition into the highs, it's so addictive and easy to listen to. The staging of the Bokeh with the ADS really is something special and is probably my favorite thing about this headphone other than the super fun bass response, and euphonic mids. The ADS creates space and lets details come through without sounding forced at all, and the layering and separation of the images is fantastic. The ADS (Atrium Damping System) is amazing in the Bokeh!

This is just a brief summary of the differences between the two, and it's going to take me more time to fully understand all the differences between them, and I will share more on that when I do my final review. However, for now I will say the Bokeh and VC's are both here to stay. The Bokeh have become my daily drivers, but the VC's will still get their time to shine and aren't going anywhere.

What I have learned so far after spending a week with the new Bokeh, is that this headphone transports me to another place with the musicians, and I just can't get enough! Every song sounds different than I have ever heard them sound before and the music is so engaging it's addictive. To top it all off, this headphone is an absolute genre slayer! Talk about saying one more song over and over, this phenomenon is bound to happen with the Bokeh, and it is really hard to put them down once you start listening. :grin:

Zach you seriously outdid yourself with the Bokeh! This headphone scales extremely well off my HA300mk2, and also sings like crazy off my RU7 dongle, and is a real game changer for me. The Bokeh may be the most affordable headphone in the lineup, but it is by no means the least fun or least capable, and is just another flavor of ZMF awesomeness that definitely deserves a spot in the lineup.

I plan to do more listening and comparing all this week, and hope to have my final review up by Friday. I will say this now though, if you own any ZMF's and are looking to add another fun one to the stable this headphone is a no brainer. The Bokeh has it's own sound and own unique magic, that would be right at home in any ZMF fan's stable.

Happy Listening!

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2023 at 9:20 AM Post #603 of 2,348
Hi there,
this is Marc a new guy to this forum and my first post.
Pulled the triggered 2 days ago and now I am really excited for the Bokeh. 🥰
Also great to read it pairs so well with the RU7. I love what is coming out of this small device.
And I am excited to try the Bokeh with my main station. Maybe I will lose some words to it when it arrives here in Germany.

Have a great day. 🤩

Dec 11, 2023 at 9:25 AM Post #604 of 2,348
Can't wait to reward myself with my Bokeh after a day of work! Out for delivery. Wonder if I managed to grab #001...

Dec 11, 2023 at 9:31 AM Post #605 of 2,348
Can't wait to reward myself with my Bokeh after a day of work! Out for delivery. Wonder if I managed to grab #001...
Per ZMF's instagram #001 is Harold Haze

Dec 11, 2023 at 9:33 AM Post #606 of 2,348
Per ZMF's instagram #001 is Harold Haze
damn, someone beat me to it, I thought pulling the trigger right at 8:30 would do it. hopefully I'm one of the first five at least!

Dec 11, 2023 at 9:34 AM Post #607 of 2,348
@zach915m are you still selling those RU7 dongles?

Dec 11, 2023 at 9:42 AM Post #608 of 2,348
Dec 11, 2023 at 9:51 AM Post #609 of 2,348
Having a ZMF on order has the odd side-effect of putting a slight damper on weekends because you know that production has come to a pause and you won't be any closer to getting your new headphones till Monday at the earliest.

Dec 11, 2023 at 10:16 AM Post #611 of 2,348
I almost bought the Bokakeh but I held off because:

1) I have an AC and the size and weight doesn’t seem to be all too different
2) I use Kann Max for my portable source and that can drive ACs super well already. Hence, I won’t be able to appreciate the Bokeh advantage of being easy to drive as much as another person with another source
3) Found a good deal for a VO at more than half off retail so I thought that was the smarter choice.

But never say never!

Dec 11, 2023 at 11:01 AM Post #612 of 2,348
Screenshot 2023-12-11 155100.png

One of the Bokeh crew has arrived!

Also, I just wanted to say that the ZMF crew are lovely people, I asked for a simple request/change on my name card compared to the shipping. I won't get into why, but they obliged and said they can do it. They could have just said no, but they were happy to do so. Made me a happy person today!

Love your work Zach, can't wait to finally own a ZMF. I have had my eyes glued onto them for years and I am happy to be able to soon own one.

Dec 11, 2023 at 12:55 PM Post #614 of 2,348
Honestly we haven't even made many of our cables for the BOKEH yet since it's so fresh. I'll get a Palladium, V Silver and Copper made soon to see what's going on with that. My preference usually lies with the 2K copper because it's so creamy and resolving.

The Limba does have some spalting and bug holes that are filled and natural/normal, but yeah definitely send us an email and we can figure it out asap.
So you like the 2k over the Palladium in general? Do you think the 2K cable improves all headphones do you using with or are they just a few great pairings in your eyes?

Dec 11, 2023 at 1:04 PM Post #615 of 2,348
I am pretty curious about cable differences myself as someone who has only used "regular" cables.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back