ZMF BOKEH - Closed Back (Semi-Portable)
Dec 9, 2023 at 12:34 AM Post #511 of 2,462
Limba is a soft hardwood... yea :wink:

Dec 9, 2023 at 1:00 AM Post #512 of 2,462
I think this will be a home run product.

-low ish price
-semi portable
-easy to drive
-easy intro to zmf line

From a biz standpoint, quite the touch, from a fan standpoint, probably quite exciting news.

I myself never owned anything ZMF but do remember being quite wowed with their "full size headphones" at a can jam in NY. I had the headphones on much longer than I anticipated I remembered.

I can see myself potentially owning one of these down the line, but then I would have to feel bad about my overpriced IEMs not being used. *shrugs*

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2023 at 1:21 AM Post #513 of 2,462
@OnlySoMany mentioned in his review that the Bokeh feels like the love child of the Auteur and Atticus. Once mine shows up I can see about offering some comparison as well.
What I mean by that is the smooth fun accurate nature of the Auteur, with the speed and fast bass hit nature of the Atticus. It's like smoothfast.

For an entry level model, it's such a unique and complex sound. It's such an easy listen but also dynamically impressive. You will see what I mean. I'd love to hear your impressions once you spend some time with it. It's not as ultimately detailed as a Caldera or Atrium Closed, but it does other things that make it fun in a different way. I never think ultimate mega detail is a good sound. Those types of headphones can sound artifical, or sterile. It's one of the reasons I sold my Diana TC.

Plus the fact you could drive Bokeh with a lemon and two wires helps too. (I didn't try this yet, it's only an assumption). Point being it doesn't need a ton of power to sound it's best.

For a grand, they nailed it. I have other headphones in that price range, and it's by far and away the best overall. At least to my humble ears.

I would also highly recommend the combination of no mesh and hybrid pads.

Dec 9, 2023 at 3:52 AM Post #515 of 2,462
I believe @Monsterzero put it best when he asked: "How Ya like Bass?!?"

1701990011013.png
Does it seem like the Bokeh have more subbass and midbass and a fuller bodied sound as compared to the Atticus?

My Atticus is in order, first ZMF … got it for the whole body/bass thing for pairing with OTL amp. But now Bokeh is more substantial ?

Dec 9, 2023 at 3:54 AM Post #516 of 2,462
I wanted to get this up before Friday but sick kids and work killed that plan. This isn't a formal review, but my general impressions after a week with the Bokeh. I posted unboxing pics earlier in the thread if you want to see my unit.

TLDR - The Bokeh is an amazing headphone, period. Don't let the lower price or new "portable" look fool you, this headphone sits on equal footing with any other model in the lineup. They all have different sonic characteristics, but they're all ZMF through and through. And IMO the Bokeh is the most balanced and approachable model in the lineup.

What is ZMF? Hand made high quality wood headphones with an emphasis on musicality above all else. They don't lack on the technical side, but that's not what's stands out about them. You put them on and lose yourself to the music.

So why do I believe the Bokeh is the most balanced and accessible model yet? Lets dig in.

To start, from bass to treble this headphone is so well tuned and balanced. Nothing stands out as too forward or too recessed. The overall presentation is fast and forward, but again, in equal parts. When I listen to the other ZMFs in my lineup, I notice where there's a dip or peak that isn't present on the Bokeh. I never really noticed them before but now I can't unhear them.

Ok so it's balanced, why also mention accessible? I think the combination of lower impedance and seemingly lighter weight make it an easier headphone to own and live with than the higher impedance models, which also tend to feel larger on my head, even if the scale says they're not much different from each other. The Bokeh just feels a bit more petite in comparison.

I'm not ready to give a full review and breakdown of the sonics, my unit is still burning in and so is my brain. But I feel confident with everything I've said so far, and will be saying ahead. So lets do a mini dive into the sonics.

Bass is large and in charge! This thing is the bassiest ZMF of the bunch. And the ZMF lineup is full of heavy hitters. This new driver and stronger magnets really bring the thunder. The bass is strongest in the midbass region, much like the Atticus. But it's faster and more nimble than the Atticus. It's not Verite fast, but handily trumps it in pure quantity. The other models in the lineup have more nuanced and expressive bass, but the Bokeh is all about shock and awe. But despite not quite being as nuanced as the other models. its still has good technical prowess. I'll take the Bokeh's bass over my LCD-2 Closed, Elegia, and even HD660S2. The HD820 is more technically competent, but nowhere near as fun. I love the bass, period.

Mids are slightly forward and very well extended and present. Upper mids in the vocal ranges really stand out in a good way. This is right up there with the Auteur for my favorite vocals headphone. Both male and female vocalists are forward enough to be front and center and plenty loud in the mix, but not too forward or too present to be fatiguing. I really can't say enough about how well this headphone does vocals.

Treble is much the same as the mids, present, sweet, and inoffensive. But unlike the Atticus, they're not soft or rolled off. Strings and screechy female vocals come through loud and clear, making you notice them, but in a good way. On the Atticus they're softer and not as involving. Guitar solos and strings in general sound glorious. I'm a rock and metal addict and the Bokeh brings it up top! Try some Van Halen, Zeppelin, etc and you'll be in for a treat. Sweet guitars, wailing vocals, at just the right presence and pressure to be intoxicatingly addictive without the least bit of fatigue.

Soundstage is good, but not as outstanding as the frequency response. I really don't care much for soundstage as all headphones sound closed in to me, but some are still noticeably better than others. Think HD800 here for the gold standard. Well the Bokeh isn't taking home gold. I think the soundstage is similar to the Sennheiser 6 series headphones. Decent overall stage but nothing spectacular. Big enough to enjoy the music and not get distracted, nuff said.

Resolution is good, but not quite as good as the others in the ZMF lineup, IMO. I don't feel wanting for detail, but I have noticed the Atrium Open and Closed both break apart some elements in a mix better than the Bokeh. They are able to better identify and separate competing frequencies and allow me to inspect them more easily. But I'm not one to obsess over resolution, and the Bokeh more than meets my requirements here.

So it's perfect, right? No, for all my praise, I do note it has some very minor deficiencies. First, for all that glorious bass quantity, the quality side could be a touch better. The bass is fast and nimble, but sometimes a bit one note vs the more nuanced bass of it's brethren. The Atticus' bass isn't as fast, but it somehow can give me more textural information vs the Bokeh's more quantity minded presentation. Nit picking, but worth noting.

Another quibble is pad swapping. This is not an easy headphone to swap pads on, especially new pads that have not been mounted yet. I'm not going to sugar coat it, I hit a point one day trying to get on the suede pads that I really wanted to chuck the Bokeh across the room. I got mad and basically decided I'll just rip the pads to get them on, and that was how I was able to mount them, by angrily man handling them in a not so gentle manner. And to Zach's credit, they didn't rip or tear, they took my angry assault without issue. Repeated mountings make pad changes easier as they'll retain some of the stretching for the next mounting.

Finally, despite the balance and approachability, I do feel the Bokeh lacks a bit of character than defines some of the other models. And this one is tough to put into words as it's very subjective and seemingly illogical. But I listen to my Atticus and just prefer it for no identifiable reason. The Bokeh is more accomplished on almost all fronts, yet the Atticus has a personality I just can't resist. Doesn't mean I don't love the Bokeh, but I'm madly in love with the Atticus.

Those were very nit picky cons, this is an easy headphone to enjoy and love. But what about that 80ohm impedance? All the other models are 300ohm! And if you've built a system around 300ohm dynamic drivers, this can be quite upsetting to such system (think Focal Clear in a setup optimized for ZMF/Sennheiser). Well rest assured pretty much everything that works well with my 300ohm ZMFs also work wonderfully with the Bokeh. The driver is IMO just as responsive to system synergy as the other models.

I don't want to get too in depth on the gear I used, so I'll just list it out with a brief yay or nay on if I liked it.

Dacs used are Border Patrol R2R NOS dac and Bifrost 2/64. Both sound great with everything so yay there. I did try an old Modi 3 delta sigma dac and thought it was OK, but a bit brighter and harsher sounding overall. I do think multibit dacs are the way to go in general, but just my opinion.

Amps are more critical to the overall system performance of high ohm headphones IMO. Get it right and it's magic. Get it wrong and it's boringville.

Favorite amps for the Bokeh for me so far were the DNA Stratus, Hagerman Tuba, LTA MZ2, and Schiit Vali 2.

Good but not great pairings came from the Schiit Asgard 3, Midgard, and Jotunheim 2. I just prefer tubes with most of my headphones, and the Bokeh was no exception.

Less than stellar pairings were an old Schiit Magni 3, M9xx, and Dragonfly Red.

I'll just say tubes really brought out the most for me, with the Tuba and Stratus really elevating the Bokeh to giant killer heights. A few times while listening on the Stratus I thought man why do I need my AC and AO? Thankfully sanity returned and I realized despite how good it is, it's not replacing those headphones anytime soon. But it will have a seat at the same table for sure.

Did I listen to anything other than ZMFs while listening to the Bokeh? Yes, but briefly, so these are very general and top level impressions subject to change. HD820 is lighter and thinner sounding, with a more resolving and delicate delivery. Also much more open sounding. But the Bokeh slaps back with much more musicality. The 820 is a bit dry and boring in direct comparison. Also listened to my LCD2 Closed a bit side by side with it, and thought the LCD was brighter, harsher, thinner, and overall far less enjoyable than the Bokeh. The LCD is an ok headphone but I just like all my ZMFs far more. The LCD did seem more resolving though, and not as thick and warm, if you prefer that. That's all I had time for in a week.

So who is the Bokeh for? Anyone looking for a fun and engaging headphone of course! Also fans of ZMF in general should like it as it exudes the ZMF house sound with a slightly different flavor.

Would I use it as a portable headphone? For me that's a hard pass. But I only have a Dragonfly Red for portable duties, so maybe a more powerful unit would change my tune. But so far I've enjoyed the Bokeh the most on my big boy amps. The smaller less powerful amps were not driving it to it's full potential.

Does it sound most similar to any one headphone in the ZMF lineup? I'd personally say the Atrium Closed. It's faster and hits harder, and overall is about as engaging as it's big brother, but the AC just takes things to a higher technical level. But to even be considered in the same breath as the AC is high praise indeed.

Are there any genres that work best, or don't work with the Bokeh? Well nothing didn't work, which is nice. This is great generalist headphone. But it did stand out for me with rock/metal. The extra presence in the upper mids and lower treble over sets like the Atticus and AC really made this a killer metal machine for me. I also really love blues on it for much the same reasons. Classical could use a bigger stage and better resolution, but I didn't feel it was lacking per se, just not as accomplished as something like the AC or VC for that genre.

Will I be buying one? Oh you betcha! I love the ZMF house sound, and this one has a different enough flavor to make me feel the need to add it to my lineup. It won't replace the others, but it will sit along side them.

I hope this helps prospective buyers. I'm honored to have received a demo unit, and want to give back to Zach/Bevin and the community with my impressions. Plus I'm an egomaniac so how can I not? :) Let me know if you have any questions. Full review in a month or so when my thoughts have solidified more and I've done more thorough comparisons to other headphones.

Dec 9, 2023 at 4:55 AM Post #517 of 2,462
I'm so tempted to pull the trigger on these... just worried about getting a proper seal with them. I have both the Philips Fidelio X2HR and AKG K702 but can't get a seal on either of them as due to their large circumference I get an air gap at the back. Granted they don't have articulation of the cups, but really hoping I don't have the same issue with the Bokeh. Can someone quell my suspicions?

Dec 9, 2023 at 8:01 AM Post #519 of 2,462
Are there Reviews and comparisons out there? im an Audeze/Hifiman Planar Guy and wonder if i get any benefits of an non Planar Closed Back
Since the Bokeh was just released last week, there are probably not that many reviews yet, and the ones in this thread are from ZMF fans who already love the house sound. I can speak to the planar vs dynamic driver question, though. For years I only listened to planars, but when I finally heard a ZMF dynamic, I realized what I was missing. For me, the ZMF DD sounds less artificial, more organic and richer/fuller. Of course there are exceptions (like the Caldera :wink: ). I still have one planar, but rarely reach for it.

Dec 9, 2023 at 8:21 AM Post #520 of 2,462
Since the Bokeh was just released last week, there are probably not that many reviews yet, and the ones in this thread are from ZMF fans who already love the house sound. I can speak to the planar vs dynamic driver question, though. For years I only listened to planars, but when I finally heard a ZMF dynamic, I realized what I was missing. For me, the ZMF DD sounds less artificial, more organic and richer/fuller. Of course there are exceptions (like the Caldera :wink: ). I still have one planar, but rarely reach for it.
I didnt miss something with my LCD 4‘s but maybe youre more into analog sound

Dec 9, 2023 at 8:27 AM Post #521 of 2,462
For me, the ZMF DD sounds less artificial, more organic and richer/fuller. Of course there are exceptions (like the Caldera :wink: ).
And what an exception the Caldera is! The best of both worlds: planar speed, bass extension, resolution combined with the well-known, organic and rich ZMF timbre. Unmatched.

Dec 9, 2023 at 8:45 AM Post #522 of 2,462
I did it. Wanted to get a good closed back headphone and was always interested in ZMF.

Have their headbands and earpads for other headphones, but it's time to get a ZMF headphone and hear what the hype is all about. :smile:

ZMF Bokeh Purchase 01.jpg

Dec 9, 2023 at 12:11 PM Post #524 of 2,462
I'm so tempted to pull the trigger on these... just worried about getting a proper seal with them. I have both the Philips Fidelio X2HR and AKG K702 but can't get a seal on either of them as due to their large circumference I get an air gap at the back. Granted they don't have articulation of the cups, but really hoping I don't have the same issue with the Bokeh. Can someone quell my suspicions?
I have a smaller head but don't have any issue with a gap. The back side of the pads where a gap would be are more thick than the front so they conform to my face and don't leave a gap. One can also twist the pads slightly to fill a gap without any negative change to the sound.

Dec 9, 2023 at 12:14 PM Post #525 of 2,462
Had the Cayin RU7 burning in all night, and just sat down for round two of listening with the Bokeh. I am only two songs in with today's session and I literally shed tears on the first song, and the second one gave me goosebumps/chills over my entire body. I am walking around the house while listening by the way, and it's a revelation hearing ZMF goodness outside my listening room and on the go!

These songs just blew my mind with the Bokeh and RU7, powered by my Samsung S22+. Absolutely stunning sound! :astonished:

myz4JRT.png
k7Lo6x3.png

1MMNsl0.png
AtGbL7v.png

Pab9KSn.png
ZTNLx9J.png

More to come after more listening time and comparisons, I just had to share and say I am finding it an incredible pairing so far. :grin:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back