ZMF BOKEH - Closed Back (Semi-Portable)
Nov 21, 2023 at 10:29 PM Post #151 of 2,348
I would like to suggest the development of a bokeh version with magnesium alloy chassis, incorporating monkey wood or some other hardwood that is light weight to help manage the weight at approximately 400g.”

and finish the wood with Japanese Maki-e (蒔繪) like this
1700621726169.jpeg
it would be a killer in the market

Maki-e would be amazing, but I'm guessing that would take it to a different pricing bracket. It sure does with fountain pens.

Nov 22, 2023 at 1:42 AM Post #154 of 2,348
Bokeh sounds more natural, more lifelike, more spacious (for a closed back) with a more balanced FR. D7200 is more closed in, less natural, more V shaped and perhaps more dynamic/punchier. To my ears the Bokeh is the more accurate and better headphone out of the two. In fact, I would pick the Bokeh over the D9200 or TH900 in a heartbeat. I can only see people leaning towards Denon/Fostex if they really like a dynamic and V-shaped sound signature. Bokeh just sounds nicer, more natural, but still a step behind VC and AC, which is probably not a surprise to anyone.
To my ears D7200 are not V shaped. I haven't seen the measured frequency response, however the midrange sounds pretty neutral, highs may be a tad rolled off, but not too much and bass is pleasantly elevated. I had D9200 and didn't like them at all, they were too bright and lacked dynamics and punch. Perhaps these issues can be solved with EQ, but D7200 sounded much better to my taste without any EQ intervention and cost significantly less
Waiting forward to seeing Bokeh finally in ZMF online shop or perhaps a pair of second hand Atrium Closed in Europe (I've seen many second hand Verité Closed selling in Europe, but never Atrium Closed, looks like their owners just don't want to part with them).

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2023 at 2:49 AM Post #155 of 2,348
To my ears D7200 are not V shaped. I haven't seen the measured frequency response, however the midrange sounds pretty neutral, highs may be a tad rolled off, but not too much and bass is pleasantly elevated. I had D9200 and didn't like them at all, they were too bright and lacked dynamics and punch. Perhaps these issues can be solved with EQ, but D7200 sounded much better to my taste without any EQ intervention and cost significantly less
Waiting forward to seeing Bokeh finally in ZMF online shop or perhaps a pair of second hand Atrium Closed in Europe (I've seen many second Verité Closed selling in Europe, but never Atrium Closed, looks like their owners just don't want to part with them).
I think I'll need to be buried in an oversized coffin.... just to fit in the AC, Meze Elite and the Aegis Amp... oh, and maybe a couple of pad rolls :L3000:

Nov 22, 2023 at 4:39 AM Post #156 of 2,348
I would like to suggest the development of a bokeh version with magnesium alloy chassis, incorporating monkey wood or some other hardwood that is light weight to help manage the weight at approximately 400g.”

And I think the owner of those headphones should give them to me to go with my custom cables :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

IMG_20231122_094305.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2023 at 6:57 AM Post #157 of 2,348
Maki-e is not that expensive to produce, but rather time consuming. the pic i posted is an alteration done by d9200 owner cost around 200$

Yeah, it's the labor that makes it expensive. It is beautiful, though.

Nov 22, 2023 at 12:38 PM Post #158 of 2,348

1700621726169.jpeg

Looks so beautiful, but with that level of gloss, will not transportable friendly at all. I have to stock a dozen of clean microfibre cloth all the time lol.

Nov 23, 2023 at 10:30 PM Post #159 of 2,348
Waiting forward to seeing Bokeh finally in ZMF online shop or perhaps a pair of second hand Atrium Closed in Europe (I've seen many second hand Verité Closed selling in Europe, but never Atrium Closed, looks like their owners just don't want to part with them).
Agreed. 7200 is not V shaped, however it is quite dark. No extension in the higher frequencies, elevated bass, and the mids are a tad recessed. It sounds good though with pretty decent resolution and dynamics. I definitely preferred the tuning of the 9200. I didn't find it bright, but it definitely bordered on it. I sold mine for the same reason. It didn't have the same note weight, meat on the bone, and slam. They were still plenty dynamic, just a softer and more gentle approach in the presentation. Not the same heft as something like a Focal, but it was clean and airy with a more gentle approach.

Nov 25, 2023 at 6:47 AM Post #160 of 2,348
Loving my others ZMFs I will very likely buy this one, since I want to replace my Aeon 2 Noire.

I would be interested in the frequency response graph though, could you please share one?
Me too - looking at this as a potential upgrade from the Noire, which has a great form factor for travel but never really warmed up to its less dynamic sound signature.

Nov 27, 2023 at 5:38 PM Post #162 of 2,348
Hope these will be more readily available in the UK and Europe considering their more attainable status... the import fees are killing my interest in getting ZMF headphones
Next year there's a canjam in London. https://canjamglobal.com/shows/london2024/

If ZMF are going to the show they always have inventory for sale. So you could listen to them and purchase.
Might be something to consider.

Also according to the ZMF website they do have a UK dealer https://www.acornaudio.co.uk/

Nov 28, 2023 at 5:13 AM Post #163 of 2,348
Next year there's a canjam in London. https://canjamglobal.com/shows/london2024/

If ZMF are going to the show they always have inventory for sale. So you could listen to them and purchase.
Might be something to consider.

Also according to the ZMF website they do have a UK dealer https://www.acornaudio.co.uk/
Will be booking tickets for that for sure... but it's so far away! I want headphones NOW lol.

I contacted Acorn Audio, apparently they won't be stocking the Bokeh for the foreseeable future which is a shame

Nov 28, 2023 at 5:16 AM Post #164 of 2,348
Will be booking tickets for that for sure... but it's so far away! I want headphones NOW lol.

I contacted Acorn Audio, apparently they won't be stocking the Bokeh for the foreseeable future which is a shame
Just order straight from ZMF. You'd be paying the same amount of import taxes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back