ZMF BOKEH - Closed Back (Semi-Portable)
Jan 11, 2024 at 10:27 AM Post #1,126 of 2,416
What kind of genres did you try so far?
I'm an eclectic listener so i've tried pretty much everything with them. I mainly listen to rock/metal at least half the time. But with streaming I love to browse genres I don't know well, so anything goes. But specifically i've given good hours with rock, metal, blues, jazz, folk/singer songwriter, classical, soundtracks, r&b, and electronic.

With most headphones there are genres I just don't like as much on it because of the frequency response. For example female vocals on the Atticus are a bit too subdued and soft compared to something like the Auteur, which is my favorite headphone for the ladies. On the flipside the Auteur wasn't a go to for electronic music due to it's subdued bass and high treble presence. That's why I like having multiple headphones in my lineup, to optimize my listening. Yes you can absolutely listen to any genre on any headphone, but is it ideal? For me, that's a no, but it's 100% subjective.

Thankfully I've not found anything yet that I thought the Bokeh wasn't good to great at. Granted it might not be the best set in my lineup for any specific genre, but it seems to handle them all well. I really do believe this is the best ZMF in the lineup for a general listener who likes to listen to many different genres equally. This is just my opinion though, I know not everyone will agree or hear them like I do.

Jan 11, 2024 at 10:45 AM Post #1,127 of 2,416
I really do believe this is the best ZMF in the lineup for a general listener who likes to listen to many different genres equally. This is just my opinion though, I know not everyone will agree or hear them like I do.
I agree with you 100%. :beerchug:

Jan 11, 2024 at 12:59 PM Post #1,128 of 2,416
I getting really interested on these, seems they are fun and versatile, is the isolation good?
I’m considering selling my Focal Stellia (which I enjoy very much) but the sound leakages is huge, at least to my wife 😅, this makes isolation a make it or brake it for me, would appreciate if you can share your experience?

Anyone can tell me how the Bokeh will compare with the Stellia?

Jan 11, 2024 at 1:06 PM Post #1,129 of 2,416
I'm an eclectic listener so i've tried pretty much everything with them. I mainly listen to rock/metal at least half the time. But with streaming I love to browse genres I don't know well, so anything goes. But specifically i've given good hours with rock, metal, blues, jazz, folk/singer songwriter, classical, soundtracks, r&b, and electronic.

With most headphones there are genres I just don't like as much on it because of the frequency response. For example female vocals on the Atticus are a bit too subdued and soft compared to something like the Auteur, which is my favorite headphone for the ladies. On the flipside the Auteur wasn't a go to for electronic music due to it's subdued bass and high treble presence. That's why I like having multiple headphones in my lineup, to optimize my listening. Yes you can absolutely listen to any genre on any headphone, but is it ideal? For me, that's a no, but it's 100% subjective.

Thankfully I've not found anything yet that I thought the Bokeh wasn't good to great at. Granted it might not be the best set in my lineup for any specific genre, but it seems to handle them all well. I really do believe this is the best ZMF in the lineup for a general listener who likes to listen to many different genres equally. This is just my opinion though, I know not everyone will agree or hear them like I do.
Did you listen to any death metal with it? I’m curious about how it handles busier passages.

Jan 11, 2024 at 1:38 PM Post #1,130 of 2,416
Did you listen to any death metal with it? I’m curious about how it handles busier passages.
Some of the faster/busier metal i like on them are:

Slayer
Goatwhore (love the name!!!!)
Exodus
Metallica
Megadeth
Iron Maiden
Morbid Angel
Kreator
Overkill
Testament
Dust Bolt
Sepultura
Sigh
John 5
Exmortus
Metal Church
Carach Angren
Death
Slash
Buckethead
Judas Priest
Carcass
Cannibal Corpse
Children of Bodom
Gorgoroth
Immortal
Ghost
Aman Amarth

I know not all of them are death metal, but there's some pretty crazy/complex stuff in there that will push any headphone to it's limits. The Bokeh is solid all around. It's not the fastest or tightest, but it's not slow, not boomy, nor overly resonant. It handles the complexity of metal without any issues for me. Wailing guitars with double bass blasts and growling vocals don't get muddy and overlap at all that I can hear. It's not as tight and precise as the Verite models or most planars, but it's weightier and more dynamic sounding, bringing the energy and power of metal to the forefront, which is how I like it.

Once I got it it quickly became one of my favorite headphones for metal. Even before it was well broken in I was loving how it renders metal's intensity and complexity. It's smooth enough to not fatigue me but not rolled where I'm craving more air. It's my goldilocks metal headphone along with the HD660S2. The S2 is similar overall but with a slightly recessed midrange vs the Bokeh. But not by that that much. If you've heard the S2 it gives a decent approximation of what the Bokeh brings, just more of it with the ZMF.

Jan 11, 2024 at 1:51 PM Post #1,131 of 2,416
I think calling it Goldilocks is spot on. Especially when listening to the Bokeh on higher end chains.

More and more often I'm finding that which headphone I reach for depends on what I'm listening to and my mood.

If I want thumping bass and fun then the AC.
If its clarity and detail retrieval that I'm after then its the Caldera.

However with the Bokeh I can genuinely just grab it for any music or mood and jam with it without a second thought. And I don't find myself thinking "I wish it had more bass" or "I wish it was more resolving". Its tonally balanced top to bottom.

Also the Bokeh (at least the Black Limba version) is so light and comfortable that I can use it regularly at work for a whole day and not feel any fatigue.

Jan 11, 2024 at 1:58 PM Post #1,132 of 2,416
I think calling it Goldilocks is spot on. Especially when listening to the Bokeh on higher end chains.

More and more often I'm finding that which headphone I reach for depends on what I'm listening to and my mood.

If I want thumping bass and fun then the AC.
If its clarity and detail retrieval that I'm after then its the Caldera.

However with the Bokeh I can genuinely just grab it for any music or mood and jam with it without a second thought. And I don't find myself thinking "I wish it had more bass" or "I wish it was more resolving". Its tonally balanced top to bottom.

Also the Bokeh (at least the Black Limba version) is so light and comfortable that I can use it regularly at work for a whole day and not feel any fatigue.
Time will tell but the Bokeh feels to me like the beginning of the 3rd stage of ZMF evolution. The 1st were the Fostex mods, 2nd Atticus/Eikon through Atrium, and now with the Bokeh starts a new era. Maybe I'm hitting the coke a bit too hard this morning while listening way too loud to Decapitated, but the Bokeh has an intangible quality to it that seems to separate it from the others. I'm not saying better, just different.

PS that's the soda coke, not the white stuff people! :wink:

Jan 11, 2024 at 2:29 PM Post #1,133 of 2,416
Maybe I'm hitting the coke a bit too hard this morning
giphy56.gif

Jan 11, 2024 at 4:10 PM Post #1,134 of 2,416
Some of the faster/busier metal i like on them are:

Slayer
Goatwhore (love the name!!!!)
Exodus
Metallica
Megadeth
Iron Maiden
Morbid Angel
Kreator
Overkill
Testament
Dust Bolt
Sepultura
Sigh
John 5
Exmortus
Metal Church
Carach Angren
Death
Slash
Buckethead
Judas Priest
Carcass
Cannibal Corpse
Children of Bodom
Gorgoroth
Immortal
Ghost
Aman Amarth

I know not all of them are death metal, but there's some pretty crazy/complex stuff in there that will push any headphone to it's limits. The Bokeh is solid all around. It's not the fastest or tightest, but it's not slow, not boomy, nor overly resonant. It handles the complexity of metal without any issues for me. Wailing guitars with double bass blasts and growling vocals don't get muddy and overlap at all that I can hear. It's not as tight and precise as the Verite models or most planars, but it's weightier and more dynamic sounding, bringing the energy and power of metal to the forefront, which is how I like it.

Once I got it it quickly became one of my favorite headphones for metal. Even before it was well broken in I was loving how it renders metal's intensity and complexity. It's smooth enough to not fatigue me but not rolled where I'm craving more air. It's my goldilocks metal headphone along with the HD660S2. The S2 is similar overall but with a slightly recessed midrange vs the Bokeh. But not by that that much. If you've heard the S2 it gives a decent approximation of what the Bokeh brings, just more of it with the ZMF.
What tuning are you using with your Bokeh? Pads, mesh or no mesh etc. I am currently using the stock tuning (burst mesh and protein pads) and found it enjoyable with bands like Lorna Shore, Currents, Brand of Sacrifice just to name a few 😃

Jan 11, 2024 at 4:15 PM Post #1,135 of 2,416
What tuning are you using with your Bokeh? Pads, mesh or no mesh etc. I am currently using the stock tuning (burst mesh and protein pads) and found it enjoyable with bands like Lorna Shore, Currents, Brand of Sacrifice just to name a few 😃
I'm with you, after trying lots of different configurations I settled on the stock burst mesh and protein pads. I just think it sounds best that way, big, bold, and fun.

Jan 11, 2024 at 10:36 PM Post #1,136 of 2,416
I'm with you, after trying lots of different configurations I settled on the stock burst mesh and protein pads. I just think it sounds best that way, big, bold, and fun.
These comments prodded me to put the stock proteins back on (have stuck to burst mesh) despite being quite happy with the Caldera Suedes I've been using. I think I am warming up to these more than when I first got them - being fully burned in could be helping a bit as well.

I do appreciate how it pulls the sound further away from my Classics & Caldera and also the stock pads are way more isolating than the Caldera Suedes. I've also noticed that even though the thinner bokeh pads don't have as much depth for my ears, the thicker pads don't quite gel as well with the narrower headband and my head and it takes more adjusting to get the bulk of clamp pressure distributed and not just above my ears (not something I run into with the full-size chassis ZMFs).

ZMF were willing to let me complete the tuning kit so I have the Bokeh suedes and a couple other options I was curious about coming at some point .. including a set of oval suede pads because I don't know why 🤷‍♂️

Jan 12, 2024 at 1:52 PM Post #1,138 of 2,416
Hurry Up, We're Dreaming on these is just...*chef's kiss*

Jan 12, 2024 at 2:34 PM Post #1,140 of 2,416
My Bokeh finally shipped today! :o2smile:

Sadly I've been having hearing issues this week and am effectively deaf in my right ear (ongoing problems I've been having since I was a kid, and it tends not to last long), but I'm worried I won't be able to properly test these :frowning2: Listening with headphones has been a no-go since Tuesday.

So it's a mixed feeling today, but I'm grateful the shipment has finally gone through.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back