ZMF BOKEH - Closed Back (Semi-Portable)
Dec 4, 2023 at 2:31 PM Post #241 of 2,477
So...how's the isolation? :grin: I know I sound like a broken record, but the only ZMF headphone I have experience with (Atticus) has mediocre isolation, so I'd be curious to know how this fares.
Isolation is good, especially compared the Atticus which is technically semi-closed. There are quite a lot of computers and other electronic equipment with fans running at my work, and the Bokeh isolated quite nicely.

Dec 4, 2023 at 2:33 PM Post #242 of 2,477

The Sacred Order of Atticus will not allow such blasphemy!!!!
LOL! I know man, and I had a hard time typing that, but the Bokeh is most definitely giving them a run for the money, for being ZMF's funnest headphone.

I can't wait to hear your thoughts on the two!

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2023 at 2:34 PM Post #243 of 2,477
LOL! I know man, and I had a hard time typing that, but the Bokeh is most definitely giving them a run for the money so far.

I can't wait to hear your thoughts on the two!
I agree. In my upcoming review I state that "The Bokeh is like if the Atticus and Auteur Classic had a crack baby."

That should give you enough to go on 😂😁

Dec 4, 2023 at 2:47 PM Post #244 of 2,477
Is there an easy way to order the stock + thick Caldera pads with the Bokeh, or is that a weird combo?

Dec 4, 2023 at 3:04 PM Post #245 of 2,477
I agree. In my upcoming review I state that "The Bokeh is like if the Atticus and Auteur Classic had a crack baby."

That should give you enough to go on 😂😁
No joke I'm maybe 10 minutes in listening and I kept thinking man there's some Auteur in here sonically. Like very first sonic thought was "Auteur?". It's like taking the lower mids and midbass of the Atticus and marrying them to the Auteur's subbass and upper mids and treble. Now GIANT grain of salt as again this is two songs in, maybe three.

Dec 4, 2023 at 3:09 PM Post #246 of 2,477
No joke I'm maybe 10 minutes in listening and I kept thinking man there's some Auteur in here sonically. Like very first sonic thought was "Auteur?". It's like taking the lower mids and midbass of the Atticus and marrying them to the Auteur's subbass and upper mids and treble. Now GIANT grain of salt as again this is two songs in, maybe three.
dude. dude. what are you doing to me. please stop. aaaagghiwasn'tgoingtobuyoneoftheseatlaaaaunch...

Dec 4, 2023 at 3:11 PM Post #247 of 2,477
Is it just me, or do some of these descriptions make the Bokeh tuning sound like the successor to the Eikon in the lineup (but with the fun dial cranked up.)

I wonder if anyone with demo units will make a brief comparison for those who use Eikons as their work cans. I'd enjoy a brief comparison anyhow. : )

Dec 4, 2023 at 3:15 PM Post #248 of 2,477
Is it just me, or do some of these descriptions make the Bokeh tuning sound like the successor to the Eikon in the lineup (but with the fun dial cranked up.)

I wonder if anyone with demo units will make a brief comparison for those who use Eikons as their work cans. I'd enjoy a brief comparison anyhow. : )
i wish i still had my Eikon to compare, i miss them so much. It’s been ages since i let them go but from memory i think you can say they do share similarities. Definitely more air up top than the Atticus. I don’t need much time with them to say that definitively.

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2023 at 3:27 PM Post #249 of 2,477
So...how's the isolation? :grin: I know I sound like a broken record, but the only ZMF headphone I have experience with (Atticus) has mediocre isolation, so I'd be curious to know how this fares.

Also, how are the treble levels? Would someone who is treble sensitive and likes the Atticus sound signature enjoy these?
I'm only a few songs in but so far the treble is very smooth without any glare or harshness to speak of. That's listening to old Sepultura albums, which are ear shredders on sibilant headphones.

Isolation is better than the Atticus/Eikon and AC. At fairly high volume with the pads squished together to form a seal I only hear muffled noises. If someone was sitting shoulder to shoulder with you it might annoy. But for office use I can't imagine it would be an issue, unless your office is in a church.

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2023 at 3:29 PM Post #250 of 2,477
Thanks for the responses :)

I will say that my concern with isolation is with other sounds being let in (like a noisy refrigerator or HVAC system) more so than sound leakage. I usually listen alone, but sometimes my apartment can be a bit noisy.

Based on the descriptions of the sound signature it sounds like it might be exactly what I'm looking for (something a little lighter weight, with better isolation, and more top end than the Atticus?) May be a day one purchase for me.

Dec 4, 2023 at 3:49 PM Post #251 of 2,477
Ok I'm only two or three songs in so I'll leave sonics for later, other than "I like it already". But here's some unboxing pics. I really like the packaging. Really really like. Yes, saying really twice makes it more special. But hats off to whomever designed the packaging, everything is awesome.

I won't lie, when I opened the box in my car at FedEx I felt a slight disappointment. After seeing all those glorious red units, I expected mine to be the same. I'm not sure which wood this is, Cherry? But it wasn't that luscious red I'm seeing in the other pics. After handling these more orange cups for a bit now, I'm beyond happy I got them. I love the chatoyance, the honey like hue, and overall vibrancy of them.

Unboxing pics:

Attachments

• IMG_1466 (1).jpeg
    IMG_1466 (1).jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1467.jpeg
    IMG_1467.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1468.jpeg
    IMG_1468.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1469.jpeg
    IMG_1469.jpeg
  • IMG_1470.jpeg
    IMG_1470.jpeg
    4.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1471.jpeg
    IMG_1471.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1472.jpeg
    IMG_1472.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1473.jpeg
    IMG_1473.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1474.jpeg
    IMG_1474.jpeg
  • IMG_1475.jpeg
    IMG_1475.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1476.jpeg
    IMG_1476.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 0
Dec 4, 2023 at 4:03 PM Post #252 of 2,477
Ok I'm only two or three songs in so I'll leave sonics for later, other than "I like it already". But here's some unboxing pics. I really like the packaging. Really really like. Yes, saying really twice makes it more special. But hats off to whomever designed the packaging, everything is awesome.

I won't lie, when I opened the box in my car at FedEx I felt a slight disappointment. After seeing all those glorious red units, I expected mine to be the same. I'm not sure which wood this is, Cherry? But it wasn't that luscious red I'm seeing in the other pics. After handling these more orange cups for a bit now, I'm beyond happy I got them. I love the chatoyance, the honey like hue, and overall vibrancy of them.

Unboxing pics:
At CanJam, I was disappointed by the appearance of the Bokeh units on hand. Yours, @erics75, is the most beautiful one I have seen, by far!

Dec 4, 2023 at 4:23 PM Post #253 of 2,477
Been fiddling with output impedance (OI) on the Bokeh and so far I'm finding them highly responsive to changes in OI like the Atticus. Went from solid state Midgard xlr out at 2ohm OI to Tuba tube amp low gain 5ohm OI to Tuba high gain 35ohm OI and each increase in OI corresponded to an increase in sparkle and air up top. The high gain Tuba is very sparkly and really makes the Bokeh sound similar to the Auteur OG's upper mids. Going down to the 2ohm OI Midgard adds more thickness down low and reduced sparkle. Like swapping from an Eikon to an Atticus. I find the Midgard 2ohm and Tuba low gain 5ohm OI a bit boring in comparison to the Tuba's 35ohm OI high gain. When I get home from work i'll plug them into my DNA Stratus on high Z. I think that's 120ohm OI. In theory that should be a nightmare given the less than 1 dampening factor, but my gut is telling me it's going to sound glorious. We'll see, I got a big gut, so when the gut speaks, it's loud!

Dec 4, 2023 at 4:23 PM Post #254 of 2,477
Dec 4, 2023 at 4:29 PM Post #255 of 2,477
At CanJam, I was disappointed by the appearance of the Bokeh units on hand. Yours, @erics75, is the most beautiful one I have seen, by far!
The stabilized versions of Bokeh are going to be insane...... :heart_eyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back