ZMF BOKEH - Closed Back (Semi-Portable)
Mar 19, 2024 at 2:21 PM Post #1,966 of 2,450
For those looking for a case (or waiting for ZMF to release a Bokeh case) there is a great deal on an Audeze case that looks like it might do well for the Bokeh (or other headphones). I don’t have one but have put 2 on order…

https://www.audeze.com/collections/accessories/products/aluminum-travel-case-for-lcd-5-and-crbn
I'd say they fit pretty well. The only issue is that when you close the lid, it doesn't shut all of the way on its own - you do have to press gently, compressing the foam, for it to seal and lock. It might not be the optimal case for Bokeh, but I think it works.

I picked up the case a couple of months ago when it was on sale for $59 to use with my Maxwell, but for $39 all in with no tax and free shipping this is a no-brainer to me.

Edit - You could always remove a little bit of the foam inside where it contacts the cups if desired if the compression bothers you.

Attachments

• IMG_9878.jpeg
    IMG_9878.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_9879.jpeg
    IMG_9879.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_9880.jpeg
    IMG_9880.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Mar 19, 2024 at 4:02 PM Post #1,968 of 2,450
When I first got the Bokeh I preferred them on my 300B MKII at low impedance.

Now after almost 100 hours, I now enjoy them more on the Bliss on Lo-Z on most genres.

Slightly blacker background, slightly less bass, but more controlled bass overall.

Tubes still present a slightly wider soundstage with more depth. Layering sounds equal to me.

It's a game of inches between Bliss and the MKII, but I still slightly prefer the Bokeh on SS.

Mar 19, 2024 at 5:08 PM Post #1,969 of 2,450
after a lot of trials I ended up loving the stock setup best. vented mesh and protein pads.

After a week of experimenting with the hybrid pads, I've decided to go back to using the stock protein pads. Honestly, I'm not sure why I didn't give them a fair shot before. I guess I thought the hybrid pads would be a better match for me. But, in the end, I have to admit you were right about the stock configuration working best with the Bokeh. It's just such a fun headphone!

Mar 19, 2024 at 6:58 PM Post #1,970 of 2,450
After a week of experimenting with the hybrid pads, I've decided to go back to using the stock protein pads. Honestly, I'm not sure why I didn't give them a fair shot before. I guess I thought the hybrid pads would be a better match for me. But, in the end, I have to admit you were right about the stock configuration working best with the Bokeh. It's just such a fun headphone!
In the end, there is no right or wrong about which pads and mesh but what best suits your music listening!

Mar 19, 2024 at 7:02 PM Post #1,971 of 2,450
In the end, there is no right or wrong about which pads and mesh but what best suits your music listening!

Totally with you on that. The electric guitars lacked bite for me with the hybrid pads, but now they've got that growl, almost on par with the Atrium!

Mar 19, 2024 at 7:09 PM Post #1,972 of 2,450
Were you pad rolling while also breaking in the unit? That's what I was doing, which is why I couldn't really settle on a pad preference as the unit itself was sounding different from break in. And on top of that i was rotating my amps like crazy as well, further complicating things.

Mar 19, 2024 at 7:21 PM Post #1,973 of 2,450
Were you pad rolling while also breaking in the unit? That's what I was doing, which is why I couldn't really settle on a pad preference as the unit itself was sounding different from break in. And on top of that i was rotating my amps like crazy as well, further complicating things.

I was more mesh rolling than pad rolling. I aimed to stick with the hybrids for a while, but man, those electric guitars sounded too mellow for my taste. I tried out the stock mesh, full mesh, no mesh – you name it. Without the mesh, the sound got a bit too splashy. Then, after reading your comment, I decided to give the stock protein pads a shot, just for fun. And bam, now I'm hooked. Even though I can swap pads super quick, I think I'll stick with the stock ones for a while.

Mar 19, 2024 at 7:24 PM Post #1,974 of 2,450
I put some RCA 6AS7 tubes into my Wells Audio V8 OTL in place of the stock units, and man are they good!!!!!!!!! They're more sparkly and warmer than the stock units and really up the fun factor on the Bokeh. I've played the same track 4 times in a row because of how good this setup is rendering it. Track is Green Grass and High Tides by The Outlaws. Think Freebird if you've not heard it. Long wailing twangy solos that sound like the sonic manifestation of a soul in joy.

Mar 19, 2024 at 9:55 PM Post #1,975 of 2,450
What about thicker/deeper ZMF pads? My ears touch the driver with the pads that came with the Bokeh.

Mar 19, 2024 at 10:11 PM Post #1,976 of 2,450
What about thicker/deeper ZMF pads? My ears touch the driver with the pads that came with the Bokeh.
The Caldera pads, which are a bit thicker, will work in a pinch with the Bokeh. They'll shift the sound signature but they still sound pretty good imo (prefer the suedes). My issue with those is, because the headband is smaller, the thicker pads clamp more at the top and the bottom doesn't feel as fitted. I haven't managed to bend the headband in a way to alleviate this so I've just stuck with the thinner bokeh pads and put some thin foam inserts (replacement foam discs for Senn 6-series) behind the earpads so my ears are at least cushioned.

Mar 19, 2024 at 11:45 PM Post #1,977 of 2,450
I have the same issue, and it's really annoying. Zach responded earlier about the issue and suggested putting some paracord spacers directly beneath the pads to give you a few extra mm and hopefully eliminate that contact. I got the paracord but haven't tried installing yet. Hopefully that would skew the sound less than swapping to thicker non-Bokeh pads.

Mar 20, 2024 at 12:14 AM Post #1,978 of 2,450
The Caldera pads, which are a bit thicker, will work in a pinch with the Bokeh. They'll shift the sound signature but they still sound pretty good imo (prefer the suedes). My issue with those is, because the headband is smaller, the thicker pads clamp more at the top and the bottom doesn't feel as fitted. I haven't managed to bend the headband in a way to alleviate this so I've just stuck with the thinner bokeh pads and put some thin foam inserts (replacement foam discs for Senn 6-series) behind the earpads so my ears are at least cushioned.

Is the headband actually smaller? I had to put on the pilot pad cause these are too big for my head even at the smallest adjustable setting. I have this issue with many headphones I have tried.

Mar 20, 2024 at 2:59 AM Post #1,979 of 2,450
I noticed a slight left-right imbalance (about 0.5 dB), it's small but noticable.
currently I am still burning in my Bokeh (running 40hrs maybe)

should I contact my reseller, or keep it burn-in for at least 100 hrs?

thanks.

Mar 20, 2024 at 5:45 AM Post #1,980 of 2,450
Is the headband actually smaller? I had to put on the pilot pad cause these are too big for my head even at the smallest adjustable setting. I have this issue with many headphones I have tried.
Not so much in height (I also have to have it like 1 notch from bottom) - I think moreso it's slightly narrower, or at least feels like it attaches to the headphones at a slightly different angle than the normal chassis. I haven't been able to get it fitting quite as well as my 'big' ZMFs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back