ZMF Auteur Thread
Dec 21, 2023 at 10:15 PM Post #8,056 of 8,327
My 3 favorite pads on the OG Auteur are Eikon Suede, Auteur Lambskin and Auteur Hybrid. I don’t think you can go wrong with any of them.

Dec 21, 2023 at 10:18 PM Post #8,057 of 8,327
So I'm considering either the Auteur suede perforated or hybrid suede/lambskin perforated pads. Any major difference in sound between those two? I already have Eikon suede perforated pads on the way.
I mean, I might have some thoughts on the subject...

|
|
V

Dec 22, 2023 at 3:37 AM Post #8,058 of 8,327
I mean, I might have some thoughts on the subject...

|
|
V

Thanks for that pad comparison. Despite any sound changes I prefer the suede options. The leather pads are too slippery on my head whereas the suede has a bit of grip and feels nicer.

Dec 23, 2023 at 11:08 PM Post #8,059 of 8,327
So I got the Eikon suede pads and co-pilot pad and new driver mesh for my Auteur. Comfort is better than with the leather pads. However the Auteur is very noticeably heavier than my Aeolus (Sepele). I can feel the strain in my neck after a couple hours. Maybe it depends on the wood being used. Mine is the blackwood version. I don't have the weight issue with my Aeolus at all.

Dec 23, 2023 at 11:44 PM Post #8,060 of 8,327
So I got the Eikon suede pads and co-pilot pad and new driver mesh for my Auteur. Comfort is better than with the leather pads. However the Auteur is very noticeably heavier than my Aeolus (Sepele). I can feel the strain in my neck after a couple hours. Maybe it depends on the wood being used. Mine is the blackwood version. I don't have the weight issue with my Aeolus at all.
I'm pretty sure African Blackwood is the heaviest wood that ZMF uses. Your Auteur set is probably around 610-635 grams, where your Sapele Aeolus set is probably closer to 460-485 grams. That's a significant difference.

Dec 23, 2023 at 11:48 PM Post #8,061 of 8,327
I'm pretty sure African Blackwood is the heaviest wood that ZMF uses. Your Auteur set is probably around 610-635 grams, where your Sapele Aeolus set is probably closer to 460-485 grams. That's a significant difference.

Perhaps I should look for another one with a different type of wood. I do really like the sound of the Auteur but comfort for long sessions is important.

Dec 23, 2023 at 11:55 PM Post #8,062 of 8,327
Perhaps I should look for another one with a different type of wood. I do really like the sound of the Auteur but comfort for long sessions is important.
That is something you might want to consider. The stock Ambrosia Maple sets weigh around 515-520grams, which would be a lot closer to your Aeolus. Other sets like Walnut would also be of similar weight.

Dec 24, 2023 at 12:07 AM Post #8,063 of 8,327
That is something you might want to consider. The stock Ambrosia Maple sets weigh around 515-520grams, which would be a lot closer to your Aeolus. Other sets like Walnut would also be of similar weight.
Well you are referring to the Classic and not the OG which is what I have.

Dec 24, 2023 at 12:08 AM Post #8,064 of 8,327
Don’t overlook the LTD Ash option that’s available at the moment. I owned Blackwood and Ash OG Auteurs simultaneously and ultimately decided to keep the Ash set. Weight was one factor, with my Ash set being about 120g lighter than the Blackwood set.

I also found I preferred the look and sound of the Ash set in the end. Blackwood is a great wood, but you have to be prepared for the weight.

Luckily OG Auteurs still pop up for sale pretty often if you’re not looking to pick up a Classic. I imagine you’d have very little trouble selling your Blackwood set.

Last edited:
Dec 24, 2023 at 12:13 AM Post #8,065 of 8,327
Don’t overlook the LTD Ash option that’s available at the moment. I owned Blackwood and Ash OG Auteurs simultaneously and ultimately decided to keep the Ash set. Weight was one factor, with my Ash set being about 120g lighter than the Blackwood set.

I also found I preferred the look and sound of the Ash set in the end. Blackwood is a great wood, but you have to be prepared for the weight.

Luckily OG Auteurs still pop up for sale pretty often if you’re not looking to pick up a Classic. I imagine you’d have very little trouble selling your Blackwood set.

Yeah I was not prepared for the weight of the Blackwood. I also really want a set of the new Bokeh which are 480g. Not much more than my Aeolus. That would mean I'd have a closed and open set of headphones.

Dec 24, 2023 at 12:59 AM Post #8,066 of 8,327
The weight of an OG Auteur and Classic with the same wood/hardware should be very similar. If you want to stick with an OG Auteur, Teak, Silkwood and Ambrosia Male are probably your best bets to keep the weight around 500 grams.

Dec 24, 2023 at 10:44 AM Post #8,067 of 8,327
Lots of opinions about the different mesh options for Atrium, but haven’t seen much talk about mesh for the Auteur. Are there options any of you have tried?

Dec 24, 2023 at 11:34 AM Post #8,068 of 8,327
I’m interested to know if anyone has tried the Auteur Classic with marblewood..? I just snagged a b-stock set on the ZMF site (they have a few left at $1299) as a commitment to my Blackwood VOs. I’m running a Cayin HA-3A, and felt like the Atriums might not be my cup of tea and it sounds like the Calderas can be hit or miss with tubes (not to mention I’d have to sell my beloved VOs to keep them).

So, has anytime tried the Auteur classics in marblewood, and how are they as a compliment to VOs?

Dec 24, 2023 at 3:25 PM Post #8,069 of 8,327
Lots of opinions about the different mesh options for Atrium, but haven’t seen much talk about mesh for the Auteur. Are there options any of you have tried?
I assume you are referring to swapping mesh on Auteur Classic. I’ve written several posts about swapping to the radial mesh. You can find them using this search.

Or cut straight to this one to catch me at my most effusive.

Dec 24, 2023 at 3:35 PM Post #8,070 of 8,327
My OG Blackwood didn’t lose weight while being transformed to Classic :)

Those of us in Zach’s Blackwood Legion consider our neck braces badges of honor — Médaille des blessés de guerre!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back