ZMF Auteur Thread
Mar 29, 2022 at 11:24 AM Post #6,121 of 8,322
I’d love to see that happen! Not sure how the wood needs to be cut to make the headphones though, and if it’s 4000 it might tear through their CNC machine 😂
I recall that production of Blackwood Auteur 'fell behind' Teak production during the intro, specifically because Blackwood was much harder to work with.

Mar 30, 2022 at 12:22 AM Post #6,123 of 8,322
Mar 30, 2022 at 1:26 AM Post #6,124 of 8,322
We now all own a collectors item!

One that might actually be a better sounding headphone than the more expensive ZMFs.

Mar 30, 2022 at 12:51 PM Post #6,125 of 8,322
We now all own a collectors item!

One that might actually be a better sounding headphone than the more expensive ZMFs.
And as a bonus, every ZMF headphone is unique due to the wood/texture/finish involved, so we all have UNIQUE collector’s items! Yay! 🎉🍾

Mar 30, 2022 at 1:54 PM Post #6,126 of 8,322
And as a bonus, every ZMF headphone is unique due to the wood/texture/finish involved, so we all have UNIQUE collector’s items! Yay! 🎉🍾
I think this is the main thing preventing me from upgrading to a more expensive pair of ZMF's. I'm so attached to my unique sets that I don't ever want anything to replace them! Plus that vocal intimacy of the Auteur...I don't think anything can beat it.

Mar 30, 2022 at 4:06 PM Post #6,127 of 8,322
IMG_3030.jpg

Old-school vs. the new hotness.

Mar 31, 2022 at 12:39 AM Post #6,128 of 8,322
I think this is the main thing preventing me from upgrading to a more expensive pair of ZMF's. I'm so attached to my unique sets that I don't ever want anything to replace them! Plus that vocal intimacy of the Auteur...I don't think anything can beat it.
I totally agree with this sentiment. I’m still enamored with my Ash Auteur, in both sound and looks. How do you “upgrade” from this?
DDF2B314-9C19-4423-B251-018D96BFBA09.jpeg

Mar 31, 2022 at 12:58 AM Post #6,129 of 8,322
To @haasaaroni and @ckhirnigs113: the Atrium is not a lineage or sonic ‘upgrade’ to your Auteur - just as Carnegie Music Hall (Pittsburgh) is not to Heinz Hall (Pittsburgh). Carnegie and Heinz have different acoustics and presentation which each have complete artistic merit.

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2022 at 1:03 AM Post #6,130 of 8,322
Yes, I agree of course. Zach’s vision for his creations is not a linear progression of quality as the asking price goes up. None of them are supposed to be better than others, just different flavors within the collection. The Atrium is the newest flavor, and I know a lot of us are eager to have a taste!

Mar 31, 2022 at 1:30 AM Post #6,131 of 8,322
I’ve grown rather accustomed to buying ZMF headphones on the used market or during ZMF November. Both scenarios have allowed me to see the exact headphone I will be getting before committing to the purchase. The introductory pricing of the stock Atrium is seriously tempting me, but I don’t think I can go back to a blind buy. I’ve become too picky about my wood cups!

Here’s a little anecdote illustrating this. I had considered getting an Auteur for a while, but I was very satisfied with my VC and felt no need to own two ZMF’s at once. The catalyst for my decision to finally take the plunge was seeing this particular Ash Auteur pop up in the classifieds. The swirling grain pattern was so aesthetically pleasing to me that I made an impulse buy. I wanted this Auteur.

Fast forward to today, and I have sold two VC’s, two Aeolus and a Blackwood Auteur. The Manchurian Ash Auteur remains. I foresee a day in the future when a particularly handsome used Atrium gets listed for sale and I again find self control impossible.

Mar 31, 2022 at 11:34 AM Post #6,132 of 8,322
I’ve grown rather accustomed to buying ZMF headphones on the used market or during ZMF November. Both scenarios have allowed me to see the exact headphone I will be getting before committing to the purchase. The introductory pricing of the stock Atrium is seriously tempting me, but I don’t think I can go back to a blind buy. I’ve become too picky about my wood cups!

Here’s a little anecdote illustrating this. I had considered getting an Auteur for a while, but I was very satisfied with my VC and felt no need to own two ZMF’s at once. The catalyst for my decision to finally take the plunge was seeing this particular Ash Auteur pop up in the classifieds. The swirling grain pattern was so aesthetically pleasing to me that I made an impulse buy. I wanted this Auteur.

Fast forward to today, and I have sold two VC’s, two Aeolus and a Blackwood Auteur. The Manchurian Ash Auteur remains. I foresee a day in the future when a particularly handsome used Atrium gets listed for sale and I again find self control impossible.
Having purchased both my current ZMF's on the second hand market, these are my thoughts exactly. I like to save a bit of cash, and see the wood grain before I make the purchase. I was lucky enough to score a "November Rarity" with my Ambrosia Maple VC and "Limited Edition" with my Cocobolo Atticus from the classifieds and could not be happier.

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2022 at 11:38 AM Post #6,133 of 8,322
@Wes S I have always liked your Cocobolo Atticus. It has the perfect color and grain on it. Once you get these prime examples of ZMF's, it's hard to leave things up to chance. I know every unit Zach and his team put out are exceptional, but there are always going to be those particular pairs that really call your name!

Mar 31, 2022 at 12:26 PM Post #6,134 of 8,322

I remember this because I contacted the seller shortly after you did to buy that exact set 😂 My thoughts exactly on aesthetics and on maybe finding a used Koa Atrium for sale someday. I’m thinking wayyy ahead though lol

Mar 31, 2022 at 4:14 PM Post #6,135 of 8,322
To @haasaaroni and @ckhirnigs113: the Atrium is not a lineage or sonic ‘upgrade’ to your Auteur - just as Carnegie Music Hall is not to Heinz Hall (in Pittsburgh). Carnegie and Heinz have different acoustics and presentation which each have complete artistic merit.
See, I think I just found my own Carnegie Hall sound with the Arya V3 after upgrading to a Musician Pegasus DAC. The concert hall effect is really quite incredible. Maybe not as punchy and organic as the Atrium, but the sense of forward depth, layering, and detail is just insane.

I'm of the mind that I own my particular headphones for specific reasons: the Arya for all things classical and grand, the Aeolus for rock and anything in-your-face that I really want to groove to, and the Auteur for vocal-centered genres and small acoustic groups. To me it feels like as wonderful as the Atrium is, it just won't fit anywhere in my stable right now. But I may very well be wrong!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back