ZMF Auteur Thread
Jul 29, 2021 at 1:19 AM Post #5,236 of 8,334
The Auteur for me has ‘musical neutrality’. Just what I look for in a headphone. [Kennerton Gjallarhorn JM Edition has it too.] I much prefer the Auteur ‘action’ to be on my head than in these threads!…😜:dt880smile:
Agreed, @jonathan c and I actually have been interested in Gjallarhorn JM Edition too...I've been holding back as I still love Auteur so, and my amp is an OTL so wasn;t sure if the low-impedance JM wouyld pair well or if that aspect is not relevant with horn drivers.

Any insight in this and comparison with Auteur would be welcomed!

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2021 at 1:23 AM Post #5,237 of 8,334
Quick music digression prompted by MD…Which album do you prefer: ‘Kind of Blue’ or ‘Something Else!’….?
Listening to Wynton Kelly's "Kelly Blue" in DSD as I type, Same pianist / rhythm section as Kind of Blue...it is an AMAZING album .

Jul 29, 2021 at 1:36 AM Post #5,238 of 8,334
Agreed, @jonathan c and I actually have been interested in Gjallarhorn JM Edition too...I've been holding back as I still love Auteur so, and my amp is an OTL so wasn;t sure if the low-impedance JM wouyld pair well or if that aspect is not relevant with horn drivers.

Any insight in this and comparison with Auteur would be welcomed!
I will ‘p/m’ you. I do not wish to derail this thread.

Jul 29, 2021 at 4:58 PM Post #5,239 of 8,334
I have tried my Auteur with two tube amps - the Loxjie P20 and the UltraSonic Studios Oblivion - and the SS THX based Monolith 887. I recently switched to the Singxer SA-1 as my daily driver. At this point it is my favorite.

Jul 29, 2021 at 6:08 PM Post #5,240 of 8,334
~ While the largest impact on the sonic delivery of the Auteur may come from the h/p/a, the DAC cannot be overlooked.
~ I strongly recommend that you look into non-over-sampling resistor-to-resistor (R2R) ladder DACs versus delta/sigma chip DACs.
~ The ‘musical neutrality’ and resolving ability of the Auteur will make the difference between these DAC types apparent. Natural, organic sound that blossoms to occupy real space filling it with real dynamics….or….’technicolour’ reconstituted sound with impressive ‘detail’ that does not quite sound real…

Agreed, my Eikons have become absolutely magical with my Musician Audio Pegasus R2R dac. I was listening to it last night out of my Scott 299D tube amp and the naturalness coupled with the smooth yet bright treble was fantastic.
I still think I slightly prefer the Auteur over the Eikon but I didn't own both at the same time and its been awhile since I had the Auteur so I can't be sure. Still, R2R dacs+tube amps are highly recommended.

Jul 29, 2021 at 8:31 PM Post #5,241 of 8,334
~ While the largest impact on the sonic delivery of the Auteur may come from the h/p/a, the DAC cannot be overlooked.
~ I strongly recommend that you look into non-over-sampling resistor-to-resistor (R2R) ladder DACs versus delta/sigma chip DACs.
~ The ‘musical neutrality’ and resolving ability of the Auteur will make the difference between these DAC types apparent. Natural, organic sound that blossoms to occupy real space filling it with real dynamics….or….’technicolour’ reconstituted sound with impressive ‘detail’ that does not quite sound real…
The DAC cannot be overlooked. It is such an integral part of the chain. The better the amps and headphones, the more important the DAC becomes. My first 2 decent DACs were both R2R or NOS DACs. I had the Metrum Musette and then the Vinshine R2R REF. I liked both very much, but from a synergy standpoint my current DAC is providing the best SQ my system has yet to realize. I am not sure how much of this is amp and headphone related. My amps are far superior to what I had at the time, as are the headphones I am currently using. Plus, I have added Roon Labs and a USBe Perfect providing much better jitter reduction and clocking. I definitely am ready for the next DAC for my system, I am just not sure what it will be. I have been leaning towards the Exogal Comet, PS Audio Perfectwave MK2, or a Lampi Amber 3. Really depends on my budget when and if I can move my TEAC. That being said, I am listening to my Auteur through my Spring 1 tonight with my UD-505 sending the 1s and 0s and things sound just about perfect. I thought I would only use my Auteur on my Mainline, but I prefer the Spring 1. Bass weight, speed and uniformity are off the charts. As you state, the "musical neutrality" of the Auteur lends itself to a lot of flexibility. I am still in awe of the Auteur. I have put about 25 hrs on it without any forced burn in, and I continue to be amazed. The sound is resolute, without being shouty. The midrange is open and honest. Treble has the exact amount of push and pull. As if a parachute is opening and I can feel myself floating to the ground. Mostly, the Auteur sounds like music. The best quality and attribute I can think of for a transducer playing music. Which leads me back to a DAC. I would love to get an R2R DAC. However, I don't want just any... Perhaps the Merason DAC1, or the Hibiki SDS Discrete, or a nice tube DAC will be next. What I don't want is to get a mediocre R2R that only gets me part of the way there and leaves me less happy than my capable TEAC UD-505. Honestly, for the money I have yet to hear a better DAC than the TEAC. Its sense of pacing and rhythm is spot on. And its flexibility with voltage makes it a home run. Choices choices choices... At least I have an Auteur to help me discern the differences and lead me down the right path.

Jul 29, 2021 at 8:38 PM Post #5,242 of 8,334
Agreed, my Eikons have become absolutely magical with my Musician Audio Pegasus R2R dac. I was listening to it last night out of my Scott 299D tube amp and the naturalness coupled with the smooth yet bright treble was fantastic.
I still think I slightly prefer the Auteur over the Eikon but I didn't own both at the same time and its been awhile since I had the Auteur so I can't be sure. Still, R2R dacs+tube amps are highly recommended.
Love to hear a Pegasus and the new Aquarius at some point. Especially with the Auteur.

Jul 29, 2021 at 10:00 PM Post #5,243 of 8,334
The DAC cannot be overlooked. It is such an integral part of the chain. The better the amps and headphones, the more important the DAC becomes. My first 2 decent DACs were both R2R or NOS DACs. I had the Metrum Musette and then the Vinshine R2R REF. I liked both very much, but from a synergy standpoint my current DAC is providing the best SQ my system has yet to realize. I am not sure how much of this is amp and headphone related. My amps are far superior to what I had at the time, as are the headphones I am currently using. Plus, I have added Roon Labs and a USBe Perfect providing much better jitter reduction and clocking. I definitely am ready for the next DAC for my system, I am just not sure what it will be. I have been leaning towards the Exogal Comet, PS Audio Perfectwave MK2, or a Lampi Amber 3. Really depends on my budget when and if I can move my TEAC. That being said, I am listening to my Auteur through my Spring 1 tonight with my UD-505 sending the 1s and 0s and things sound just about perfect. I thought I would only use my Auteur on my Mainline, but I prefer the Spring 1. Bass weight, speed and uniformity are off the charts. As you state, the "musical neutrality" of the Auteur lends itself to a lot of flexibility. I am still in awe of the Auteur. I have put about 25 hrs on it without any forced burn in, and I continue to be amazed. The sound is resolute, without being shouty. The midrange is open and honest. Treble has the exact amount of push and pull. As if a parachute is opening and I can feel myself floating to the ground. Mostly, the Auteur sounds like music. The best quality and attribute I can think of for a transducer playing music. Which leads me back to a DAC. I would love to get an R2R DAC. However, I don't want just any... Perhaps the Merason DAC1, or the Hibiki SDS Discrete, or a nice tube DAC will be next. What I don't want is to get a mediocre R2R that only gets me part of the way there and leaves me less happy than my capable TEAC UD-505. Honestly, for the money I have yet to hear a better DAC than the TEAC. Its sense of pacing and rhythm is spot on. And its flexibility with voltage makes it a home run. Choices choices choices... At least I have an Auteur to help me discern the differences and lead me down the right path.
R2R topology is no guarantee itself that a DAC is musically coherent. If accompanied by well engineered power supply, power filtering, and output matching etc, a R2R non over sampling DAC can seriously narrow the musical gap between illusion and reality. Besides the Mojo Audio EVO Mystique which I own, I have been impressed by the Kitsune / Holo Audio Spring and by the Denafrips Pontus II.

Jul 29, 2021 at 11:40 PM Post #5,244 of 8,334
R2R topology is no guarantee itself that a DAC is musically coherent. If accompanied by well engineered power supply, power filtering, and output matching etc, a R2R non over sampling DAC can seriously narrow the musical gap between illusion and reality. Besides the Mojo Audio EVO Mystique which I own, I have been impressed by the Kitsune / Holo Audio Spring and by the Denafrips Pontus II.
My Vinshine R2R Ref was closest to the Pontus 2. Although, not sure exactly how close. I liked the Vinshine a lot. It had almost no color to the sound.

My UD-505 is an extremely capable DAC. I can't seem to just move on. We'll see if I can make the right deal happen. Until then, the Auteur and TEAC (via Mainline and Spring 1) will have to satiate my desires.

As much as I know how good the TEAC performs, my Spring 1 can take a better source and just keep improving. I am noticing the Auteur scales with my equipment as well which is super fun.

Jul 29, 2021 at 11:40 PM Post #5,245 of 8,334
Love to hear a Pegasus and the new Aquarius at some point. Especially with the Auteur.
Experiencing the Pegasus has made me start to lust after the Aquarius... Upgradeitits strikes again

Jul 29, 2021 at 11:41 PM Post #5,246 of 8,334
Experiencing the Pegasus has made me start to lust after the Aquarius... Upgradeitits strikes again
It does look to be quite a nice new DAC from Musician. I hear you on the upgradeitits... Journey will always top end game...

Jul 29, 2021 at 11:45 PM Post #5,247 of 8,334
It does look to be quite a nice new DAC from Musician. I hear you on the upgradeitits... Journey will always top end game...
I have my sights set on an Aquarius+Muzishare R100 combo with an adapter for my headphone endgame; hopefully that one day combo will be the endgame :unamused::unamused: (wish me luck). My main love in the headphone realm are planars so OTL tube amps are out.

Jul 29, 2021 at 11:50 PM Post #5,248 of 8,334
I have my sights set on an Aquarius+Muzishare R100 combo with an adapter for my headphone endgame; hopefully that one day combo will be the endgame :unamused::unamused: (wish me luck). My main love in the headphone realm are planars so OTL tube amps are out.
Good luck. End game is tough as it implies being done. I am not sure I will ever be done. Too much fun being in the journey.

I love planars too. My Code X hates my Mainline. Sounds flat and lifeless. Until I plug it into my Spring 1. Then life begins. I don't know the muzishare. Will look it up...

Jul 29, 2021 at 11:58 PM Post #5,249 of 8,334
Just PM'd you so I don't take the Auteur thread somewhere completely different.

Aug 6, 2021 at 1:32 AM Post #5,250 of 8,334
Good luck. End game is tough as it implies being done. I am not sure I will ever be done. Too much fun being in the journey.

I love planars too. My Code X hates my Mainline. Sounds flat and lifeless. Until I plug it into my Spring 1. Then life begins. I don't know the muzishare. Will look it up...

I actually think I can see my end game from where I now stand. All I have to do to get there is work out a path around a deck that needs rebuilt and a kid in college who wants to be a doctor.

I’ve gone as far as I want with headphones though. I’ve listened to enough different phones to know what works best for me. A new amp? Probably. Better DAC? Maybe. Different headphones? Doubtful.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back