ZMF Auteur Thread
Jul 19, 2021 at 8:09 PM Post #5,161 of 8,331
I don't have an Auteur, so can't comment on amp matching for it. But I do have a blackwood Aeolus & silkwood VO and know how well they work w/pretty much any tube amp.

FYI, the every well respected 2-channel tube amp/preamp designer, Mike Sanders (Quicksilver Audio) now offers a headphone amp, and I've been following it pretty closely. Actual reviews are sparse, but user comments are almost uniform in praising the sound of this transformer-coupled design. I may pick one up in near future...you get a lot of amp for $998. Plus, unlike many other tube amps, this one would actually fit on my crowded desktop.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/quicksilver-audio-headphone-amplifier-any-opinions.928371/

http://quicksilveraudio.com/products/headphone-amplifier/
I saw this amp yesterday on usaudiomart (I believe). Looks beautiful. I would imagine it will make beautiful music with your ZMFs.

Jul 19, 2021 at 10:30 PM Post #5,162 of 8,331
I saw this amp yesterday on usaudiomart (I believe). Looks beautiful. I would imagine it will make beautiful music with your ZMFs.
I don’t own an Autuer (still holding out for a Blackwood with Stainless grills and rods), but I am completely satisfied with the Quicksilver in combination with my VC. I am just starting my journey into tube-rolling at this point, but it always sounds great no matter what combination I have in it.

Jul 19, 2021 at 11:02 PM Post #5,163 of 8,331
I don’t own an Autuer (still holding out for a Blackwood with Stainless grills and rods) …
Don’t think you’ll ever find that, Blackwoods were LTD when Auteur were first introduced — only 100 were made, and only brass and black anodized aluminum were offered. So unless someone sent theirs back for a refit …

Jul 19, 2021 at 11:55 PM Post #5,164 of 8,331
Don’t think you’ll ever find that, Blackwoods were LTD when Auteur were first introduced — only 100 were made, and only brass and black anodized aluminum were offered. So unless someone sent theirs back for a refit …
I’ve seen multiple Blackwood Auteur’s with stainless hardware. I almost bought one from someone here a while back. I’m sure they are rare, but they are not impossible to find.

Here’s a link to one that was for sale here:
Blackwood Auteur

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2021 at 12:02 AM Post #5,165 of 8,331
Jul 20, 2021 at 12:03 AM Post #5,166 of 8,331
Oh, my mistake.
I added a link above in my post. Looks like they had to be specially requested from Zach to get that combination. I think the contrast looks amazing.

Jul 20, 2021 at 1:01 PM Post #5,167 of 8,331
I added a link above in my post. Looks like they had to be specially requested from Zach to get that combination. I think the contrast looks amazing.
Exactly why I jumped on the wenge auteurs with brass hardware as soon as I saw them. The contrast looks amazing and the lighter color on the grills really shows off the “stained glass” design well. They should be delivered today, can’t wait to see and hear these works of art!

Jul 21, 2021 at 2:51 PM Post #5,169 of 8,331
It's a ZMF Christmas tree in July!! Wow, I was not expecting the Auteurs to hit so hard. Must be the denser wood because when I tried a Teak pair a couple years ago, they were not nearly as punchy...from memory. The sense of realism is insane.

IMG_4842.jpeg

Jul 21, 2021 at 4:08 PM Post #5,170 of 8,331
It's a ZMF Christmas tree in July!! Wow, I was not expecting the Auteurs to hit so hard. Must be the denser wood because when I tried a Teak pair a couple years ago, they were not nearly as punchy...from memory. The sense of realism is insane.

IMG_4842.jpeg
Nice Christmas tree. I had the Teak Auteurs too and found them not as punchy like you. I’ve since sold them and got a Cocobolo pair. There is definitely a difference in sound and all for the better.

Jul 22, 2021 at 4:54 PM Post #5,174 of 8,331

Users who are viewing this thread

Back