ZMF Auteur Thread
Apr 23, 2021 at 12:35 PM Post #4,861 of 8,334
There's an Echo for sale in the classifieds. If you have an Auteur and want to try an OTL tube amp, this combination has great synergy.

In this case I can truly say just buy it and thank me later.
How's that compare with a Crack+Speedball for synergy with ZMFs?

Apr 23, 2021 at 12:55 PM Post #4,862 of 8,334
There's an Echo for sale in the classifieds. If you have an Auteur and want to try an OTL tube amp, this combination has great synergy.

In this case I can truly say just buy it and thank me later.
Man, I would but now I got My Pendant SE arriving in the next few days.

Apr 23, 2021 at 1:21 PM Post #4,864 of 8,334
Perfect time to get into amp rolling. :o2smile:
I can only afford so much at my age, give me 10 years or so, once I’m 29 I’ll probably be able to afford it!

Apr 24, 2021 at 4:22 AM Post #4,866 of 8,334
I have a headache right now, thinking about a lot ...
Following situation:
I have a Meze Empyrean and a Hifiman Arya, the last I'm pretty sure not to keep.
Last year I had already ordered an Auteur, but after a very long wait I canceled it and bought the Empy.
Now I have the opportunity to get an Auteur.

Is that an addition to my Empy or not?
I also have an Atticus and an Eikon to choose from, maybe the Atticus fits better to the Empy?

The headphones are to be operated on a modded Dark Voice, as well as my pro iCAN.

Apr 28, 2021 at 1:47 AM Post #4,870 of 8,334
I recently got my Auteurs. Still less than 100 hours of burn in. Some things I note. Burn in has improved the sound. Less mud, more cohesive overall sound. Was dark initially, but sound isn't so dark now. The sound was veiled at first. Then I took out the Bopp metal filter, and this helped increase treble, brightened up sound, and made it more crisp. Also, the veil lifted, and I can hear further into the music than before. I felt the filter just was too dense, and didn't let the sound through as much as without it. Anyone prefer the Bopp off as well?

Apr 28, 2021 at 11:25 AM Post #4,871 of 8,334
Wow :heart_eyes:

IMG_1456.jpg

Apr 28, 2021 at 11:47 AM Post #4,872 of 8,334
I recently got my Auteurs. Still less than 100 hours of burn in. Some things I note. Burn in has improved the sound. Less mud, more cohesive overall sound. Was dark initially, but sound isn't so dark now. The sound was veiled at first. Then I took out the Bopp metal filter, and this helped increase treble, brightened up sound, and made it more crisp. Also, the veil lifted, and I can hear further into the music than before. I felt the filter just was too dense, and didn't let the sound through as much as without it. Anyone prefer the Bopp off as well?
No, I definitely wouldn't remove the filter. Interesting and illustrates how individual our preferences are. I don't hear Auteur as veiled or dark at all, and wouldn't want treble any more extended. Glad you found a way to mod to your preferred sound, though. :L3000:

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2021 at 11:52 AM Post #4,873 of 8,334

They feel like such works of art / craftsmanship that I don't think I would mod mine (at least not before I have multiple ZMF headphones lying around :)). I didn't feel them to be veiled at all though and love the treble. Burn-in seems to have definitely helped the sound. I have another day or so left to get the 200 hours ZMF recommend on their website so they should be almost there and I agree the sound does feel less muddied :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back