ZMF Auteur Thread
Mar 16, 2021 at 8:06 PM Post #4,711 of 8,322
Back to the question of pads. I've got perf lambskins on my Auteur. I only have this set and no extra sets came with my headphones. :triportsad:

1) Has anyone tried suede, hybrid, or protein? Any difference between perf/non-perf on these?

2) What tonally can one expect to change with any of these?

3) Do I buy Auteur size (assuming the answer is yes) or Ekion or other sizes?

4) Is buying used a thing or is that weird?

Any input is most appreciated!! 😁😁
1) Zach recommends perforated pads with his open cans, non-perf for closed.

I've used:

- Auteur perf lambskin (APL)
- Eikon perf lambskin (EPL)
- Auteur perf suede (APS)
- Eikon perf suede (EPS)
- Universe perf suede (UPS)

2) These pads change both tonality and headstage. APL are the most neutral, with the open-est stage. EPL are the bassiest, with significantly less open stage. APS and EPS are in-between, with each leaning toward it's leather equivalent. I found UPS didn't work for me (flattened the stage and to my ears sucked some of the magic out).

I tried out the APL & EPL pads when I first got my Auteur and then stayed exclusively with APL until folks started chattering about the suede pads. Now I'm rocking the EPS pads most of the time, and swap back to APL on occasion.

I'm sure there's a lot more to be said, but the whole pad-swapping PITA stopped me from doing any really in-depth comparisons.

3) Eikon and Auteur pads are the same size.

4) I bought some used in relatively new condition -- didn't seem icky to me, but then nobody has ever accused me of being fastidious :)

Cheers and enjoy your Auteur!

Mar 16, 2021 at 8:16 PM Post #4,712 of 8,322
1) Zach recommends perforated pads with his open cans, non-perf for closed.

I've used:

- Auteur perf lambskin (APL)
- Eikon perf lambskin (EPL)
- Auteur perf suede (APS)
- Eikon perf suede (EPS)
- Universe perf suede (UPS)

2) These pads change both tonality and headstage. APL are the most neutral, with the open-est stage. EPL are the bassiest, with significantly less open stage. APS and EPS are in-between, with each leaning toward it's leather equivalent. I found UPS didn't work for me (flattened the stage and to my ears sucked some of the magic out).

I tried out the APL & EPL pads when I first got my Auteur and then stayed exclusively with APL until folks started chattering about the suede pads. Now I'm rocking the EPS pads most of the time, and swap back to APL on occasion.

I'm sure there's a lot more to be said, but the whole pad-swapping PITA stopped me from doing any really in-depth comparisons.

3) Eikon and Auteur pads are the same size.

4) I bought some used in relatively new condition -- didn't seem icky to me, but then nobody has ever accused me of being fastidious :)

Cheers and enjoy your Auteur!
Thank you!! Great info here and I’ll give the EPS a go, based on your recommendation.

Mar 16, 2021 at 8:35 PM Post #4,714 of 8,322
The Auteur was my first ZMF... really enjoy them. I also found a pair in a wood I loved as well so consider which wood is your favorite...

Mar 16, 2021 at 8:39 PM Post #4,715 of 8,322
Looking to pick up my first set of ZMF’s. Would the Auteur be a good first choice? Or what would you all recommend as an entry point to someone who hasn’t heard them before?
The Auteur is my first pair and I chose them over a half-dozen others in a two hour audition. They are THAT good.

Mar 16, 2021 at 9:17 PM Post #4,716 of 8,322
Looking to pick up my first set of ZMF’s. Would the Auteur be a good first choice? Or what would you all recommend as an entry point to someone who hasn’t heard them before?
The Auteur was certainly a tremendous first choice for me. The ZMF website refers to the Auteur’s “liquid neutrality”. So true! Linear frequency response, convincing ambience recovery, natural sonic detail...I sought and found these in the Auteur.

Mar 17, 2021 at 12:41 AM Post #4,717 of 8,322
I think so, but my sense is the Aeolus is more universally praised, though I don't know if it would be at the same price. I'd be just as comfortable recommending any of them as a first ZMF though. It's helpful if you share whether you generally prefer warmer or more neutral, but if warmer then Aeolus or Atticus, and if more neutral Auteur or Eikon.

Mar 17, 2021 at 1:03 AM Post #4,718 of 8,322
I would go with the model that best matches your general preferences. What headphones do you really like? Any you really dislike? What do you want in your playback? Are you more of an analytical or musicality listener? All the ZMFs are potentially great first sets, but the key is finding the one that hopefully will resonate the most with you and your preferences. The more info you can give us, the better the feedback we can give you.

Mar 17, 2021 at 1:21 AM Post #4,719 of 8,322
The Auteur was certainly a tremendous first choice for me. The ZMF website refers to the Auteur’s “liquid neutrality”. So true! Linear frequency response, convincing ambience recovery, natural sonic detail...I sought and found these in the Auteur.
That is well said by @jonathan c and mirrors my experience. I started with Ori, moved to Auteur just short of 3 years ago and have never looked back. My ongoing love affair with Auteur is longer and more satisfying than a few of my romantic relationships. :cupid:

When I get a little bored I roll tubes in my amp and the magic is back, truly an unfailingly enjoyable HP that can satisfy critical listening or just casual enjoyment. Recommended as a first foray into ZMF, likely to have staying power as well.

Mar 17, 2021 at 4:27 AM Post #4,720 of 8,322
Hey i have atm Sennheiser HD660S and i love em but want to find upgrade. I just wonder if Auteur is the way to go? I manly listen power metal, 80´s heavy and lots of prog from 70´s til new one. Would appreciate some recommendations.

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2021 at 9:05 AM Post #4,721 of 8,322
Hey i have atm Sennheiser HD660S and i love em but want to find upgrade. I just wonder if Auteur is the way to go? I manly listen power metal, 80´s heavy and lots of prog from 70´s til new one. Would appreciate some recommendations.
I actually upgraded from my 660s to the Auteur and its stellar. The mids are more pronounced. The vocals are forward and the bass has much more slam to it. The HD660 or any other Sennheiser HP for that matter, still beats most headphones in wide soundstage though. IF you have a decent enough amp, which you do have (MJ2), the auteur will give you a significant upgrade over the 660s.

Mar 17, 2021 at 9:31 AM Post #4,722 of 8,322
I listen to the same style of music and auditioned many headphones with these types of tracks. The Auteur was amazingly good at this musical style and I would highly recommend them. The other headphone that did very well with this style of music was the Audeze LCD-4, although very heavy to wear, and very heavy on your wallet.

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2021 at 9:45 AM Post #4,723 of 8,322
That is well said by @jonathan c and mirrors my experience. I started with Ori, moved to Auteur just short of 3 years ago and have never looked back. My ongoing love affair with Auteur is longer and more satisfying than a few of my romantic relationships. :cupid:

When I get a little bored I roll tubes in my amp and the magic is back, truly an unfailingly enjoyable HP that can satisfy critical listening or just casual enjoyment. Recommended as a first foray into ZMF, likely to have staying power as well.
@LoryWiv makes a nice point. The neutral tonality of the Auteur clearly allows sonic changes from rolling tubes to come through.

Mar 17, 2021 at 12:40 PM Post #4,724 of 8,322
As others have said, probably, but it depends on your preferences. Also depends on what your chain looks like. Tell us more :)
I'm not much of a 'power metal' fan (Zeppelin) but there's lots of '70s prog in my playlist -- Floyd, GabrielGenesis, Happy the Man, Tull, Yes, Supertramp, ELO, Tangerine Dream, King Crimson, Camel.

Auteur are great for most of those and pretty good for the rest. I might prefer HEKse for some of that, such as Tangerine Dream and Happy the Man, but it's not a huge thing. I absolutely love Auteur for Tull e.g., Cry You a Song and My God.

Overall, I think my enjoyment of prog is more down to the quality of the recording than the chain I listen through.

I've never listened to 660s, but do own 6xx. I hear more energy and excitement from my Auteur vs 6xx. It's kinda amusing -- tag for 6xx is '...and they don't do anything really poorly'. Meanwhile I call Auteur my Goldilocks headphones -- not too warm but not too bright, not too analytical but also not detail-deficient, super-musical without being sloppy. Really, the only place 6xx beats Auteur is weight/comfort.

Bottom line -- Auteur is the only ZMF I own, so I'm an Auteur fan-boy, rather than a ZMF fanboy.

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2021 at 1:54 PM Post #4,725 of 8,322
If you want to hear and enjoy your recorded music unadorned, the Auteur is a wonderful headphone candidate.

[[ You imply some interesting points: do certain headphones ‘suit’ certain types of music? Headphones do not know whether the signal in the headphone cable (or Bluetooth transmission) is classical music, grunge, jazz, metal or whatever. So where does the ‘suitability’ arise? The listener’s perception of and preference for the sound. These two factors are influenced by the music itself and by the way it is mixed / recorded; and in many cases, the mixing is integral to the music. Does a listener want what is on a recording or ‘more’? The answer may vary at any time by listener......euphony is in the ear of the beholder.....]]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back