ZMF Auteur Thread
Mar 14, 2021 at 5:11 PM Post #4,681 of 8,322
Sure, you mean like this angle?

kD0NwN4h.jpg
Those are Auteur Perf Lambskin

Mar 15, 2021 at 12:17 PM Post #4,682 of 8,322
Those are Auteur Perf Lambskin
Thanks for confirming. Much appreciated.

If I were to purchase another set of pads for a different experience, is there a set you guys like with the Auteur?

Mar 15, 2021 at 12:54 PM Post #4,683 of 8,322
Thanks for confirming. Much appreciated.

If I were to purchase another set of pads for a different experience, is there a set you guys like with the Auteur?
Your set should also come with Eikon Perf lambskin (corrected). Other than that, Eikon Perf Suede or Auteur Perf Suede are also good choices.

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2021 at 1:12 PM Post #4,684 of 8,322
Your set should also come with Eikon Perf Suede. Other than that, Eikon Perf Suede or Auteur Perf Suede are also good choices.
Oops -- should have come with Eikon perf lambskin.

Mar 15, 2021 at 3:43 PM Post #4,685 of 8,322
Thanks- my Auteur only came with set currently on the headphones. No extra set, unfortunately.

Mar 15, 2021 at 7:29 PM Post #4,686 of 8,322
Man. I listened to these for a bit today on my BHC for the first time since I finished it. That is indeed a magical combination. I think it sounds better than my VC, but the VC is still breaking in.

Wouldn’t kick either out of bed. I usually listen to the Auteurs on my bedside amp, a LP. The difference going to the OTL amp is shockingly large.

Doesn’t hurt that I have a much better collection of tubes that work with the Crack.

Mar 15, 2021 at 7:44 PM Post #4,687 of 8,322
Does this thread have any posts that list favorite amp choices for the Auteur? What have you tried? What did you like? I did a search and there was a thread in 2018 that only had two replies, so I was hoping we could generate some suggestions for amps that pair well. 🤔

I'll go first:

I listened to my Auteur at the HiFi shop through the absolutely glorious MicroZOTL MZ2 tube amp. Glorious, I tell you!! 😍😍😍Maybe someday.

https://www.lineartubeaudio.com/products/mz2mz2-s

Mar 15, 2021 at 8:26 PM Post #4,688 of 8,322
Does this thread have any posts that list favorite amp choices for the Auteur? What have you tried? What did you like?

Loving mine on both of my tube amps.

- Bottlehead Crack w/ Speedball (OTL)
- Zampotech Shortest Way 51+ (SET)

Both offer a different type of experience.

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2021 at 8:32 PM Post #4,689 of 8,322
Does this thread have any posts that list favorite amp choices for the Auteur? What have you tried? What did you like? I did a search and there was a thread in 2018 that only had two replies, so I was hoping we could generate some suggestions for amps that pair well. 🤔

I'll go first:

I listened to my Auteur at the HiFi shop through the absolutely glorious MicroZOTL MZ2 tube amp. Glorious, I tell you!! 😍😍😍Maybe someday.

I’ve listened to mine on a Darkvoice, a Liquid Platinum, a SMSL SU-8 and now a Crack. Crack is my favorite, followed by the DV with the LP maybe an iota behind it. SU-8 sounds darned good but not in the league of the other three.

Mar 15, 2021 at 8:54 PM Post #4,690 of 8,322
Lots of love for the Crack!

Wait, that doesn’t sound right...oh well, you know what I mean.

Hey, I built an 18 watt Marshall 1974x guitar amp, so I’ll bet I could build this kit. I find it interesting how many positive reviews I’ve read about this amp kit!

Mar 15, 2021 at 10:17 PM Post #4,691 of 8,322
Does this thread have any posts that list favorite amp choices for the Auteur? What have you tried? What did you like?
Besides its amazing sound quality, one of the true attributes of the Auteur is its affinity for a variety of headphone amplifiers. With a 300 ohm stated impedance, the Auteur is “golden” with an OTL tube h/p/a: in my case, Woo WA3. The Auteur pairs unbelievably well with: Woo WA22 (balanced, transformer-coupled), Violectric V280 (my favourite solid-state) h/p/a.

Mar 15, 2021 at 11:11 PM Post #4,692 of 8,322
Sure, you mean like this angle?

kD0NwN4h.jpg
Sorry for the slow response. Those are Auteur pads. You can tell by the fatter behind ear section and skinny front of ear section. The Eikon and Universe pads both have more equal front/back widths. Sad how after awhile you start to know the zmf pads on site hahaha.

Mar 15, 2021 at 11:49 PM Post #4,693 of 8,322

I'll go first:

All my opinion based on my preferences and hands on experience, listed in my preferential order!

Top Tier: The cream of the crop. No noteworthy deficiencies, with excellent synergy. Nothing much to say, other than sit back and enjoy.
ZMF Pendant (either generation)
DNA Sonett 1
SPL Phonitor (X, XE, or E)
Bottlehead Crack w/speedball

Mid Tier: Overall good pairing, but with some issues.
Lake People RS-08 (any lake people amp would apply here like G109, RS-02, G111, and the Violectric V100) - Very minor treble harshness when amp under duress is the only minor issue. Very neutral and resolving amp. Can be fatiguing if you're used to tubes or warm SS amps like Asgard/V200 etc.
Ayre Codex - Warm tonality pairs well here. Need to be using the unit's balanced headphone output to get proper power/dynamics. Excellent all in one unit and synergy here. Smooth and engaging.
Headamp Gilmore Lite MK2 - Very nice synergy! Slight warmth paired with moderate technical performance equaled a very nice listen. No major flaws, but lacked the technical chops of the top tier amps to be moved up the list.
Schiit Asgard 3 - Warm tonality pairs well here, but mediocre resolution is a minor issue. Great when used for relaxing vs critical listening.
Schiit Mjolnir 2 - One of the most dynamic and aggressive amps i've listened to with the Auteur. Bass was slamming! But slightly metallic treble caused moderate fatigue.
Schiit Vali 2 - Lowest technical ability here, but excellent tonality and synergy. Some bass bloom, some haziness, but gobs of fun. Was really surprised how much I liked the Vali 2/Auteur combo.
Schiit Valhalla 2 - Overall good performance but slightly metallic treble caused minor fatigue. A bit too neutral for tubes, without the tube soundstage and holographic tendancies of better tube amps. Nothing overly offensive, but nothing overly impressive either. The vanilla choice of this tier.

Bottom Tier: For my preferences these amps just didn't synergize well with the Auteur. No particular order here, I dislike them all equally with the Auteur.
Schiit Jotunheim 1 - Too bright! My unit was a first gen first batch "bright" unit. Maybe the silent revision models would do better?
Grace m9xx - Not enough power. Bloomy, etched, compressed. Just didn't sound good to my ears.
Violectric V280 - Surprisingly quite the snoozefest! This is a very nice amp with most headphones, but with the Auteur it just sounded dull. Dynamics were good, with no major frequency response issues. Yet I constantly would feed more and more volume to engage myself, which is a huge sign of poor synergy to me.
Any THX AAA amp (mine was the Massdrop version, but i've heard them all) - Way too bright! Oh man I got fatigued fast here. Lacking body and weight to the notes. Just thin and offensive to me. Decent option for the Atticus, but not Auteur.
Schiit Lyr 3 - Much like the V280, it did nothing noticeably offensive, but overall it just sounded dull. I would keep feeding volume seeking engagement, until volume was too high, and I was still left wanting. Poor synergy imo.

That's all I can think of right now. If you'll notice, I much prefer the Auteur with tubes. The Phonitor is the only SS amp I consider top tier for the Auteur. I really want to try them on a GSX Mini, that amp has been on my radar for some time now.

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2021 at 12:19 AM Post #4,694 of 8,322

I'll go first:

I’ve used a TOPPING DX7 Pro and Little Dot MkViii SE which I loved, but I recently sold my DX7 Pro and returned my Little Dot because it was having issues. Currently running them off of an M15 which I love WAY MORE than any of my previous amps and it’s an incredible DAP. I’m currently waiting for my Pendant SE to arrive so I can’t wait for that.

Mar 16, 2021 at 1:16 AM Post #4,695 of 8,322

I'll go first:

Other OTL's that shine with Auteur include the Feliks-Audio's. I have Elise and it makes much magic w/Auteur.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back