ZMF Auteur Thread
Mar 10, 2021 at 3:39 PM Post #4,667 of 8,377
I just placed my order! This wait is going to be downright excruciating. Having never heard any ZMF headphones, I'm a tad nervous. That being said, I've consumed every post on this thread and I'm fairly confident that this is the right pair of headphones for me. Arghh, I'm so excited!
You won’t regret it, but yea the wait time made me mad. Everyday thinking about it.

Mar 11, 2021 at 8:51 PM Post #4,668 of 8,377
I’m auditioning three ZMF’s this weekend and can’t wait. I’ll be hearing the Atticus, Auteur, and some early model whose name is unknown (I can post a pic if that helps identify it). I’m told ZMF are great for rock/Prog, so I’m pretty pumped. I’ll be taking my ADI-2 DAC, which I hope can power these.

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2021 at 1:20 AM Post #4,669 of 8,377
I’m auditioning three ZMF’s this weekend and can’t wait. I’ll be hearing the Atticus, Auteur, and some early model whose name is unknown (I can post a pic if that helps identify it). I’m told ZMF are great for rock/Prog, so I’m pretty pumped. I’ll be taking my ADI-2 DAC, which I hope can power these.
It can power them. The ADI-2 DAC will definitely let you hear what the headphones are capable of.

Mar 13, 2021 at 2:35 PM Post #4,670 of 8,377
Hello All- I'm back from my headphone audition and listened intently to several headphones over a few hours. The hifi shop was kind enough to give me a private appointment. I'm relatively new to the hobby, so my grasp of all the adjectives, lingo, and descriptive terms is still being absorbed, as I learn from the Head-Fi community. I took my MacBook loaded with ALAC, FLAC, and DSD files (no streaming) and my ADI-2 DAC. I'm a relatively clean slate, only having ever auditioned about a dozen audiophile/hi-end level headphones and only owning one pair (HD800). I'll likely post all my detailed findings of the various headphones in the ADI-2 thread later.

I auditioned the Auteur and a half-dozen others today and was doing a lot of A/B listening, both directly with the headphone out of my DAC and also the MicroZOTL headphone amp (amazing tube amp!). The list of headphones auditioned today:

ZMF Auteur
ZMF Atticus
Meze Empyrean
DCA Ether 2
Audeze LCD 4
Audeze LCD 3
Audeze LCD XC

I listened to tracks I've known my whole life and took notes on each headphone, along with noting spec, and the overall "feel" the headphone provided for me. There were a few that I ruled out after a while and a handful that rose to the top and stood out. I kept coming back over and over (and over) to the Auteur. The soundstage was wide to my ears and the air was so nice. The feel I got from them was exciting, very pleasant, balanced frequency, and the details were stunning. I got chills. Not kidding. I knew right there that I wanted these headphones, so I bought them! I'm in the club and so incredibly happy.

These are a demo set and pretty much mint condition. I believe they are a couple of years old and I was hoping someone can confirm- I think these are Teak? Also, is this the stock cable? It doesn't look like the stock cable on the website photo. There was no owner's card in the case, so does anyone know if there's a serial number or date code? Just curious. Here's a photo:

8bkUUuLh.jpg

Mar 13, 2021 at 11:32 PM Post #4,671 of 8,377
Man the combo of Auteur and Starlett is magical. Auteur really shines with tubes. My newly acquired Arya has been given less play time just because it doesn't have that smooth and engaging sound with the Starlett. Most noticeably, the Starlett gives Auteur a wider soundstage, and deeper bass, and smooth out occationally edgy sound from the recording. Highly recommend the combo.
0210303232459.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2021 at 12:02 AM Post #4,672 of 8,377
Man the combo of Auteur and Starlett is magical. Auteur really shines with tubes. My newly acquired Arya has been given less play time just because it doesn't have that smooth and engaging sound with the Starlett. Most noticeably, the Starlett gives Auteur a wider soundstage, and deeper bass, and smooth out occationally edgy sound from the recording. Highly recommend the combo.
0210303232459.jpg
I agree about tubes. While I do not own the DNA Starlett, I do get immense enjoyment from Auteur + Woo WA22 and from Auteur + WA3 (o/t/l).

Mar 14, 2021 at 12:52 AM Post #4,673 of 8,377
I agree about tubes. While I do not own the DNA Starlett, I do get immense enjoyment from Auteur + Woo WA22 and from Auteur + WA3 (o/t/l).
Add Auteur + Feliks-Audio Elise to the list of wonderful pairings, Listening now to a Schubert Piano Trio and it is magical.

Mar 14, 2021 at 7:15 AM Post #4,674 of 8,377
Been a number of days but didn’t receive any email reply from ZMF, guess they are too busy with their current orders... 😓

Mar 14, 2021 at 10:20 AM Post #4,675 of 8,377
Been a number of days but didn’t receive any email reply from ZMF, guess they are too busy with their current orders... 😓
I am doing emails today sorry for the wait!

We don't have a dedicated support dept (aside from me and bevin) so sometimes when production is busy it can take us a few days. Can also never hurt to double send the email to put you at the top of the inbox. 😂

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Mar 14, 2021 at 10:44 AM Post #4,676 of 8,377
I am doing emails today sorry for the wait!

We don't have a dedicated support dept (aside from me and bevin) so sometimes when production is busy it can take us a few days. Can also never hurt to double send the email to put you at the top of the inbox. 😂
Zach- New owner here! I'm extremely happy with my Auteur and glad to be in the ZMF club. These are older Auteur's, from your very first run of Teak, I believe. Can you tell me 1) If this is the stock cable or what kind of cable is it? and 2) What kind of pads? Perforated lambskin? Mine did not come with a second set, so I may decide which to buy from you.

q8iMEWZh.jpg

Mar 14, 2021 at 10:47 AM Post #4,677 of 8,377
Zach- New owner here! I'm extremely happy with my Auteur and glad to be in the ZMF club. These are older Auteur's, from your very first run of Teak, I believe. Can you tell me 1) If this is the stock cable or what kind of cable is it? and 2) What kind of pads? Perforated lambskin? Mine did not come with a second set, so I may decide which to buy from you.

q8iMEWZh.jpg
This looks like a third party cable. Mt Auteur comes with 2 sets of lambskin perf pads, the auteur pad and eikon pad.

Mar 14, 2021 at 10:52 AM Post #4,678 of 8,377
This looks like a third party cable. Mt Auteur comes with 2 sets of lambskin perf pads, the auteur pad and eikon pad.
Much appreciated- I suspected it was a third party cable, as it does not resemble the cables on the ZMF site. I don't know much about headphone cables, but these appear to be copper, gold tip 1/4", and braided cloth covering with a carbon fiber junction. They sound fine, but I have nothing to compare it to. Regarding the pad, I'm assuming I've got the perf lamb (stock Auteur?) and may research another set, based on what you all recommend.

Mar 14, 2021 at 2:21 PM Post #4,679 of 8,377

q8iMEWZh.jpg
Can you take a pic of the pads laying flat? I can usually tell the pads by the width of the fat and skinny ends. From your pic my gut says those are auteur pads but it’s too tough to confirm at that angle.

Mar 14, 2021 at 2:38 PM Post #4,680 of 8,377
Can you take a pic of the pads laying flat? I can usually tell the pads by the width of the fat and skinny ends. From your pic my gut says those are auteur pads but it’s too tough to confirm at that angle.
Sure, you mean like this angle?

kD0NwN4h.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back